Windows 10

R. Richard

Literotica Guru
I converted from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, since I had a lot of things to do around the house.
The conversion was easy. pretty much all automatic.
When I got the conversion done, I found that all of my favorite sites were gone. It took me a while to find that an icon with three horizontal lines, in the upper right corner of my screen, would allow me to transfer my former favorites to my new browser. I then discovered that all of my access to password sites would have to be re-established. (I would tell you what I called the authors of Windows 10, but the file contains a lot of repetition and is too large to upload.)

What happened to Windows 9?

I'm using 8.1 and it sucks so bad that I'll move to Linix before I'll support the Redmond bandits.

Internet Explorer is still within the OS. It's been replaced by default with the new browser, but it remains within the code for legacy reasons because many businesses still utilize it, and will be slow to convert.

Just use a search from the start button to find IE. Odds are that it will transfer those saved passwords and such, just in case there's one you've forgotten and don't feel like going through the rigamarole of resetting the password for at the moment.

I'm using 8.1 and it sucks so bad that I'll move to Linix before I'll support the Redmond bandits.

Microsoft, for reasons best known to them, decided to skip Windows 9.

Microsoft, for reasons best known to them, decided to skip Windows 9.

There already was a 9, in fact 2 of them. Windows 95 and 98, the seconded an unmitigated disaster only exceeded by Windows 8 and 8.1.

And Vista was pretty bad. . . .

Actually, I kind of liked Vista once I got it setup the way I liked it. Yes, it was way to massive and asked a lot of senseless questions. But you could turn all that off. Then it was quite manageable. Windows 7 was a big step up from vista though and then MS goes and steps backwards into the fucking bucket with Windows 8.

Windows 7 was the best Microsoft ever managed. It's going to be straight downhill from there.

Hello, Linux. Don't you look pretty these days. And free? Oh baby, thanks for just being you...

I've never understood why people who liked Win 7 do not like Win 8. I just use it like Win 7 and have never had a problem with it. It is very stable with all my old Win XP and Win 7 programs, and just as fast.

When Win 8 first came out, I had it installed it on a little Dell Netbook with 1 gb of memory. MS did not recommend it. My computer geek friend who installed it told me it wouldn't work. But it worked fine.

The netbook was actually faster in a lot of cases than it was with Win XP. my friend suggested that Win 8 is much more efficient with memory management than XP so that probably accounted for its ability to run with only 1 gb. He was also surprised it worked at all.

I no longer use the netbook, but I have Win 8.1 on this desktop and a new Toshiba 2-in-1 laptop. Not a single issue with Win 8.1 on either computer. Both are used often for memory hungry photo editing in RAW format and for CPU hungry electronic design sims.

rj

I had 8 on my laptop until it started to glitch after a couple of updates. I even reloaded it one time and the glitches were still there. After that, I kept it long enough to download all the drivers I thought I might need and then dumped the whole mess. Linux Umbutu is residing there now along with an older version of XP for games and stuff I can't cross over to Linux.

Windblows 10? I don't think so.

I have a copy of 7 but that's as far as I'll go.

Windows 7 was the best Microsoft ever managed. It's going to be straight downhill from there.

Hello, Linux. Don't you look pretty these days. And free? Oh baby, thanks for just being you...

Actually, Microsoft has had three successes, followed just as quickly by disaster.

Windows 95
Windows XP
Windows 7

Each was followed by some very fucked up software...

Windows 98 and Windows ME
Windows Vista
Windows 8 and 8.1

And now they have Windows 10. Some are calling a winner. Some not. I'll reserve judgement until I see it work and when MS changes the install.

I won't upgrade my main laptop to Win 10 anytime soon. Expect a lot of bugs to creep out with the latest version.

Me sticking to Win 7 sounds great.

Actually, Microsoft has had three successes, followed just as quickly by disaster.

Windows 95
Windows XP
Windows 7

Each was followed by some very fucked up software...

Windows 98 and Windows ME
Windows Vista
Windows 8 and 8.1

And now they have Windows 10. Some are calling a winner. Some not. I'll reserve judgement until I see it work and when MS changes the install.

I loved XP until Win 7 came along. XP was the first very stable OS for me. Win 7 was just as stable, but noticeably faster. Win 8 is just as fast as Win 7 and just as stable. On some of my high end electronic design sims, Win 8 is marginally faster than Win7.

What exactly is it doing or not doing that makes it very fucked up?

Ideally, the OS should be completely transparent to a user. It is meant to be a link between hardware and applications (and ultimately the user). Win 7 does that. Win 8 does that. Mac DOSs do that.

Linux doesn't do that. Users seem to take pride in the fact that they have to resort to command lines to do simple things. I think they miss big hair bands and Linux is the closest to the 80s that they can get.

rj

I won't upgrade my main laptop to Win 10 anytime soon. Expect a lot of bugs to creep out with the latest version.

Me sticking to Win 7 sounds great.

Always a good idea. Early adopters generally pay a price for their impatience or sense of adventure. For me, Win 8 has been a marginal improvement over Win 7, but I didn't rush into upgrading to either one. I won't rush into Win 10 either.

rj

And Vista was pretty bad. . . .

I was one of those people that actually LIKED Vista. It was already installed on a used Sony Vaio I picked up back in 2010 and found the learning curve pretty easy, so I just rolled with it for three and a half years.

I was also one of those millions of people that never bothered with downloading Windows 8. Had heard too many horror stories and one phone call to my technowizard ex (who was laughing his ass off that I was even considering infecting my computers with it - and that was the term he used: infecting!) convinced me to just kept muddling along with W7. His recommendation about W10 is to wait and see if they get the bugs out of it and start hearing more praises than complaints about it. Until I hear much better things than what's floating out there now, I have no intention of installing it.

As much as I hate the constant flux Microsoft keeps us all in with releasing new programs, I just remind myself we could still be jamming a 5-1/4 boot-up floppy into a TRS80 (version 699) and waiting ten minutes every time we want to log on to the net. :rolleyes:

I cannot see any material reason to change from 7 yet. It will be interesting to see what business does.

I opted to move to a Mac instead of buying a new PC a couple of years ago. I bought a minimac and really like. No chance that I'll go back to windows now.

I loved XP until Win 7 came along. XP was the first very stable OS for me. Win 7 was just as stable, but noticeably faster. Win 8 is just as fast as Win 7 and just as stable. On some of my high end electronic design sims, Win 8 is marginally faster than Win7.

Ideally, the OS should be completely transparent to a user. It is meant to be a link between hardware and applications (and ultimately the user). Win 7 does that. Win 8 does that. Mac DOSs do that.

Linux doesn't do that. Users seem to take pride in the fact that they have to resort to command lines to do simple things. I think they miss big hair bands and Linux is the closest to the 80s that they can get.

rj

Sorry to be the one to tell ya but Linux does that. In fact it does windblows faster and better than Microshaft ever thought about doing it with far fewer exploits, holes, and the rest of the bullshit.

Not to mention it is free and you get the source code for everything. Want to write your own OS? It's easy and plug and play for the most part.

rj

You mean other than it was written for phones and tablets? With no thought to the PC users?

I've tried several flavors of Linux (openSUSE, Ubuntu, and Linux Mint). I'd venture to say that Linux Mint 17.2 gives you about the same experience using your desktop as Windows XP. Matter of fact, I'm writing this on my Linux Mint computer. If you looked at my desktop, you'd probably think I was using XP, except there isn't a 'Start' button.

As for command line, yes, you can use it, but I used the command line for Win XP, too, so nothing new there.

You can bet that Windows 10 won't actually be 'free.' It will be more like a 'free kitten' and at some point MS will 'set the hooks.' You'll wind up paying for new drivers, or connection to the cloud, or something else. MS didn't pay their developers a billion dollars just to provide a public service in a new operating system.

You can download a bootable DVD from Linux Mint (Google it) and give it a try. If you don't like it, nothing lost. I think you'll see that your experience with Linux Mint will be similar to Windows.

By the way, if your Windows ever fails, you can boot Linux and get to your Windows files, because Linux plays nicely in the sandbox. However, Windows can't even recognize Linux. If no other argument will sway you, 'free' Linux is a great price.

I got a windows 8 laptop only a couple of years ago when my old one finally died. I got a touch screen that died six months later (an ASUS laptop), since I rarely used it I like it without the touch screen.

I'm getting notices that I should upgrade. I upgraded from Windows 95 to 98 and that was a disaster. So I think I'll just keep what I've got until it doesn't work anymore.

It has seemed to me that for the last few years, Microsoft has not imagined that
computers would be used in the Home. Make a mistake and you get some message to the effect "talk to your system administrator".
Of all the stupid things to suffer, that's on a par with

"Keyboard failure; press F1 to continue".​

I got a hands on look at 10 today. One of my guys put it on a system which was going to surplus. He did a full install rather than an upgrade.

On a four year old Dell laptop with 8G of ram it was very snappy and responsive.

That's about all the good I can say about it. Microsoft's trend of hiding more and more functions from the user has continued headlong with this version. Adding desktop icons for simple things (access to your computer for one) was more complicated than before.

Cortana is Clippy on steroids. Once selected you get the ubiquitous windows asking if it can help you. If you say No, you're given a second chance to confirm you really don't want her around. Also, like Siri, you need a network connection for it to work. And let's not get into the huge privacy issue which, in fairness, Microsoft does inform you up front when you go to use it. Pretty much everything you do they will use so everyone going to fatoneleggedsex.com should expect some wonderful results.

Selecting the Start button gives you tiles. Fucking tiles! Forget the menu system which had existed for every incarnation of Windows since whenever. Now you have fucking tiles with words which seem like they make sense but when you select them bear little to no resemblance to what you thought they would do.

Seeing a list of all your installed programs is effectively impossible. Contrary to Microsoft saying they listened to all the testers who said they wanted to see their programs, people who were used to be seeing everything installed have been given the double Eagle middle finger. Good luck figuring out what you have.

This carries over into Edge where trying to find where you can change your settings (deleting files, not remembering passwords, etc) is difficult at best when the options you're given, again, don't relate to reality. Even going into Settings doesn't quite get you there.

For those who think shiny is the way to go, they will most likely enjoy this OS. For those who want to accomplish something, it's a fairly reasonable approximation of a nightmare.

The MS Office would be free for the initial period, but then you'd have to pay a subscription fee for the subsequent years to use it.

No, thank you. I'm sticking to Win 7 forever. When it gets obsolete, I'll fish out a pirated copy of Win 10 where the system updates are turned off.

Back