Tom Petty has left us

Ayup.

When I first saw it, I first thought "he was at the concert in Vegas?"

But, no. Full cardiac arrest just a few hours ago.

Goodbye Tom. Thanks for the memories.

Wow. Just saw Brian Setzer's post on FB with a Pic him with Tom and Mike. But all it said was "Always love you, Tom." Didn't know 'til now what it meant.

Tom and the Heartbreakers was always one of my favorites and I listened to his Sirius radio show for a while. Also followed him with Wilbury's. Awesome music. And I always have some in my playlists.

I'll miss him. :(

Wow, talk about "fake news"
Well, here's to wishing he'll make it through this fine.

Maybe I'm too old and had stopped listening to lyrics by Petty's time. I remember the line "won't back down" but not much else. I remember the Freefallin' video, the girl on the skateboard, but not much else. He made fine music but I just didn't connect. My bad.

His music will stand.

Looks like now it's official. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/rocker-tom-petty-dead-at-66/

Wife and I had a feeling this was how it was going to go when they said he was on the machines.

He'll be greatly missed.

The evidence is undeniable.

Now that we've been watching these entertainers and movie stars developing horrible illnesses and prematurely dying, we all must say no to drugs.

Drug abuse in this country is epidemic. Seemingly, everyone wants to zone out to not face reality.

I'm glad that I never used drugs and don't drink very much.

"Bartender, give me another. In honor of Tom Petty, make it a double this time."

"One, double, Shirley Temple coming right up."

I always appreciated how he very vocally fought the labels during a price increase for vinyl way back in the day.

He wrote fun, catchy songs.

My favorite was "Last Dance with Mary Jane."

I also loved how on the CD for Full Moon Fever he had an audio part in the middle stating that this was the point in the record where listeners would have to get up and flip the record over so they would have a moment of silence in honor. I laughed my ass off the first time I heard it and still chuckle today.

"Stop Draggin' My Heart Around" with Stevie Nicks runs through my head several times a year for some reason. Since his death it's becoming an ear worm, but not all that unpleasant.

rj

The coroner's report has just been released. It's pretty awful:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/tom-pettys-cause-of-death-accidental-overdose-w515472

Looks like Petty kept touring with a fractured hip, which eventually worsened into a full-blown break, and he died from a mixture of pain meds.

From commentary I saw elsewhere, can't find the link just now: some of the meds he was taking are dangerous when combined. Some of the fentanyl compounds found in his system shouldn't be found in legally-prescribed pain meds, but it's been known for unscrupulous folk to substitute them for prescription opioids, so people can end up getting them by accident even from legal meds.

So sad, both that he felt pressured to keep touring instead of resting up and getting well, and that his pain wasn't being properly managed :-/

p.s. Folks who took his death as an opportunity to sermonise about rock stars and drug use, maybe take this as a reminder not to damn people without knowing the facts. I doubt many of us would volunteer to endure a broken hip without opioids, legal or otherwise.

From commentary I saw elsewhere, can't find the link just now: some of the meds he was taking are dangerous when combined. Some of the fentanyl compounds found in his system shouldn't be found in legally-prescribed pain meds, but it's been known for unscrupulous folk to substitute them for prescription opioids, so people can end up getting them by accident even from legal meds.

So sad, both that he felt pressured to keep touring instead of resting up and getting well, and that his pain wasn't being properly managed

Now that is sad and all so completely avoidable.

I'm not trying to sound insensitive, but I'm having hard time thinking Petty was being pressured into touring. He's been around how long? He has how much money? If there was pressure it was his own because perhaps he was one of those people who just didn't know how to stop doing what he's been doing his entire adult life.

On the drugs, pain meds are a very serious issue in this country, they are given away like candy by far too many doctors, period, let alone the situation mention in Bramblethorn's post.

This country's society is based on "Here take a pill" for anything from anxiety, to pain to attention issues. All of which can be helped without meds or a limited amount, but hey, that would be work and the despicable healthcare industry couldn't have you hooked for life to line their pockets.

I'm not trying to sound insensitive, but I'm having hard time thinking Petty was being pressured into touring. He's been around how long? He has how much money? If there was pressure it was his own because perhaps he was one of those people who just didn't know how to stop doing what he's been doing his entire adult life.

I worded that poorly - didn't mean to imply that some other person was forcing him to keep touring. Some people have an overdeveloped work ethic. My work has paid sick leave, separate from vacation days, and we still have trouble convincing people to stay home and get well instead of coming in sick and making themselves sicker.

I don't know the details of Petty's life well, but apparently he had a pretty messed-up childhood with an abusive father who beat him viciously; that sort of thing does fuck up people's decision-making long-term.

On the drugs, pain meds are a very serious issue in this country, they are given away like candy by far too many doctors, period, let alone the situation mention in Bramblethorn's post.

This country's society is based on "Here take a pill" for anything from anxiety, to pain to attention issues. All of which can be helped without meds or a limited amount, but hey, that would be work and the despicable healthcare industry couldn't have you hooked for life to line their pockets.

I've known a few doctors, both here and in the USA, and I can't think of any who would want patients hooked on unnecessary meds. I have my issues with the medical profession - like anybody else, some doctors have their own pet methods that aren't always helpful, and overblown egos that stop them from listening to patients - but for the most part, they're good people trying to help.

IMHO the issue's more with healthcare systems that encourage symptomatic treatment rather than preventative medicine, and with screwed-up drug laws that complicate medical pain relief by pushing people towards things like fentanyl - which is worse than medical-grade heroin in pretty much every way, but for historical reasons, it's legal and heroin is not.

I worded that poorly - didn't mean to imply that some other person was forcing him to keep touring. Some people have an overdeveloped work ethic. My work has paid sick leave, separate from vacation days, and we still have trouble convincing people to stay home and get well instead of coming in sick and making themselves sicker.

I don't know the details of Petty's life well, but apparently he had a pretty messed-up childhood with an abusive father who beat him viciously; that sort of thing does fuck up people's decision-making long-term.

I've known a few doctors, both here and in the USA, and I can't think of any who would want patients hooked on unnecessary meds. I have my issues with the medical profession - like anybody else, some doctors have their own pet methods that aren't always helpful, and overblown egos that stop them from listening to patients - but for the most part, they're good people trying to help.

IMHO the issue's more with healthcare systems that encourage symptomatic treatment rather than preventative medicine, and with screwed-up drug laws that complicate medical pain relief by pushing people towards things like fentanyl - which is worse than medical-grade heroin in pretty much every way, but for historical reasons, it's legal and heroin is not.

As an example on doctors.

When I had neck surgery in 2016 before I even had the procedure I had to sign a waiver saying I would only be able to get pain meds from the surgeon. Meaning if I was sore and what they gave ran out I could not go to my primary and ask for any.

For me it was a non issue I only used two the first day because my wife forced me to so I'd rest.

On the other hand a co worker with a bad hip had a doctor giving him re fills every two weeks for months rather than forcing him to have the surgery he needed. He ended up addicted and eventually in a rehab for them. Doctors like that are a big part of the issue.

As an example on doctors.

When I had neck surgery in 2016 before I even had the procedure I had to sign a waiver saying I would only be able to get pain meds from the surgeon. Meaning if I was sore and what they gave ran out I could not go to my primary and ask for any.

For me it was a non issue I only used two the first day because my wife forced me to so I'd rest.

I had surgery a few years back. I was in a lot of pain after, off work for three weeks. The surgeon prescribed me oxycodone, I'd heard all sorts of things about how people got hooked on it... well, for all they did for me, they might as well have been sugar tablets. I ended up handing half the packet back to the pharmacy because there just wasn't any point in taking them.

Don't know if I have high resistance to opiates or just got a bad batch, but either way it was pretty unpleasant. I don't use pain meds often, but when I do I want them to work!

One of my friends was prescribed fentanyl long-term (because their HMO decided it was cheaper than trying to find the cause of the pain) and that was horrible, both the effects and the withdrawal. I've heard from people who've tried both that heroin withdrawal is a picnic by comparison.

Back