Story Was Up, Now Reject 2 Weeks Later?

botox

Virgin
Joined
Aug 25, 2012
Posts
7
I wish I could delete the posts and the account.

Best advice I can give anyone coming here for the first time, do what I did:

"This message is hidden because sr71plt is on your ignore list."
 
Last edited:
You've zipped over an information step. Was the story knocked back with the specific question something like "Is underage sex involved?"

What was the specific reason given for rejecting the story? (You wouldn't believe how often folks misconstrue what their story was rejected for--even though they are told why in the rejection notice--and it's usually in the form of a question, which can be cleared up quickly by a disclaimer of applicability.)

If there is no underage (under 18) sex, and this was the reason given to knock it back, you simply need to resubmit with the answer "no, no underage sex is depicted in this story." The rejection would have been phrased as a question that you can answer, not as a statement.

Beyond that, if this girl in the story is engaging in sex acts and you state in one paragraph that she has only one living relative, who is 17 at this time, and in another paragraph that she's younger than her oldest (and only by the previous claim) sibling, then why wouldn't the editor understand the girl to be underage? Does she engage in sex during this time frame or not? If not, simply respond with the information when you resubmit.

There is only one submission editor here (we are led to understand). She clears more than 60 stories into the story file 365 days a year. Of course she's not going to be able to read every single word in every submitted story. She obviously missed this apparent questionable material the first time--and not the second. If the wording is there, it isn't really relevant when the editor latched onto it, is it, in terms of whether it is acceptable for posting to this Web site?
 
And you did not read the sentences either. Her brother IS 17 YEARS OLDER THAN HER at the time when she is 21. Twenty-one plus 17 is 38 even with new math. Is this the kind of shoddiness I can expect? Seriously, it isn't that hard to read. It can be 18 just as easy but seriously?

It said this and I see no question to be answered:

Because there is no difference between reading about fictional underage sex and reading about fictional people pretending to be underage, we do not allow underage sexual roleplay stories just as we don't allow underage sexual fiction. In other words, we do not post stories in which a character speaks, acts, or claims to be under the age of 18 (aka "ageplay") - even with a "All characters are over 18" disclaimer.

As SR said, if there is no underage sex, resubmit with the answer "no, no underage sex is depicted in this story" written in the notes box. You might want to clarify the ages of the characters as well.
 
That's a different reason for rejection than anything you posted in your OP--but, yes, I did misread your sentence. Sorry for that (although I'll note also before you get nastier, that I have tried to help you out with your problem when it's a problem between you and the Web site editor, not anyone on the forum, least wise me). If Laurel misread it as well, all you need do, as I've already noted, is to refile the story with an explanation in the notes column. However, what you now post is new territory for rejection.

Once again too little information given on the reason for rejection--and that typical "entitled" attitude where you aren't owed anything on a free-use site. The only response you deserve by posting the issue here is help trying to figure out what your problem is and what you can do about it. So, just drop the "shoddiness" crap and the "I'm entitled" attitude or take a hike.

If you think you don't violate the reason given for rejection the story, then all you need do is resubmit and explain this in the notes box. If you did violate the reason for rejection, you were informed why. Regardless, it's between you and the editor not you and people posting to the forum. You can contact the editor, Laurel, directly by sending her a PM (private message system; upper right corner of this page).

And don't bother now, which is also typical, to go into a discussion railing against the Web site policies--that too is between you and the Web site owners (one of whom is Laurel, the selection editor).
 
And you did not read the sentences either. Her brother IS 17 YEARS OLDER THAN HER at the time when she is 21. Twenty-one plus 17 is 38 even with new math. Is this the kind of shoddiness I can expect? Seriously, it isn't that hard to read. It can be 18 just as easy but seriously?

Shoddiness? Please. When I first read your post, I saw "17-year-old" brother. I realize it's "older," but the construction we're used to seeing is "17-year-old" and so that's what my mind supplied, even though it was incorrect. Someone else could have read it and made the same mistake and reported it, and they would have been incorrect.

It said this and I see no question to be answered:

Because there is no difference between reading about fictional underage sex and reading about fictional people pretending to be underage, we do not allow underage sexual roleplay stories just as we don't allow underage sexual fiction. In other words, we do not post stories in which a character speaks, acts, or claims to be under the age of 18 (aka "ageplay") - even with a "All characters are over 18" disclaimer.

You're right, this is not a question.

What you should probably do is send a private message (PM) to Laurel, which you can do by clicking on the link in the upper-right corner of the page. Explain, with links if applicable, what happened. Laurel is responsive to things like this, I've found.

You might also consider re-wording your sentences to make the age difference clearer. It's been tossed out that perhaps numeric numbers are more easily caught than numbers that are spelled out. I don't know if that's true, but perhaps you could write out the number 17 in your sentence (which is the proper style anyway). Something like: "She was seventeen years younger than her next-oldest sibling, and she hadn't seen him since hitting legal age."
 
If it was up, then it wasn't the site that got it, it was someone reporting it.

As someone who has reported stories, and no others who have, it looks like you got a bad draw, because many times the stories remain.

BY the way you wrote it, it doesn't sound like underage, but they do have a serious paranoia level.

My thing would be to say "she was not an only child, but the younger of two siblings" don;t say a lot of years younger.

Also don't say 17 years old. However old she is say the brother was "Ayear younger"

The numbers are the red flags.
 
Note that it was revealed (eventually) that the rejection wasn't "Is this underage"; it was "we don't publish underage role playing." On that basis, it really doesn't matter what age they really are. This one's got an entirely different issue than "underage" to clear up.
 
Note that it was revealed (eventually) that the rejection wasn't "Is this underage"; it was "we don't publish underage role playing." On that basis, it really doesn't matter what age they really are. This one's got an entirely different issue than "underage" to clear up.

Note, however, that whatever the reason, it got through the oh, so diligent scrutiny of the site.

If they took more time to go through the stories A) the re wouldn't be all these misunderstandings and confusion, B) the site could actually insure that stories they really don't want here don't get on here.

But, hey, what do I know?

Besides common sense.
 
If it was up, then it wasn't the site that got it, it was someone reporting it.

Exactly. So the system worked at first. Then someone misread it and perhaps Laurel did as well. Bummer.

My thing would be to say "she was not an only child, but the younger of two siblings" don;t say a lot of years younger.

Also don't say 17 years old. However old she is say the brother was "Ayear younger"

The numbers are the red flags.

You've misread it as well, like I did the first time. The brother is seventeen years older than the girl -- she's 21 and the brother is 38. It was the phrase "17-year-older brother" that tripped me up, apparently sr71 as well, and probably whoever reported the story. It's a correct but somewhat awkward phrasing, and my mind supplied what I thought was there as opposed to what was.

If they took more time to go through the stories A) the re wouldn't be all these misunderstandings and confusion, B) the site could actually insure that stories they really don't want here don't get on here.

If they took more time to go through stories then no doubt fewer stories would be posted per day and the bitching about it would ensue. This is a FREE site. I'm not defending their policies or anything else -- just nothing that they are providing a place to put stories, they do a pretty good job of it, and any issues should be taken up with the site owners/managers.
 
Note, however, that whatever the reason, it got through the oh, so diligent scrutiny of the site.

Knock it off. Why don't you try passing sixty new stories into a story file 365 days of the year for a couple of years and just see how attentive to each one you are. Such a pea brain. I guess that comes from having a warehouse top out your horizons.
 
I do talk like that so that's how I wrote it. My 2 year older brother is how I introduce him. When I introduce him, he's obviously not 2 years old.

It has been changed, resubmitted and we'll see what happens.

Good luck. I have to say, no one I've ever met has introduced a sibling as my "x-year-younger" or "y-year-older" brother or sister. Usually it's just an introduction and then the age might follow. I mean, I have a younger brother, and I would just introduce him: "This is my brother, John." No need to specify how much younger (although if you have more than one sibling, that might come into play later).

Perhaps it's a regional thing.

Also, did you -- as was suggested -- write a note in the notes field explaining things?

I've had a heck of a time finding an editor and have had to find one outside the channels here. The vast majority don't bother to reply, a few are busy, one read one story then never responded to any further emails. Kind of gives a person a bad taste after I sent requests to a few dozen over a 2 week period. I could not figure out how to search for editors that would edit within my main genre.

Such is life!

Sorry for the editing trouble. If you went through the Volunteer Editors list, then it's hit and miss at the very best. You're better to go the sticky of Available Editors for the month and see who's available, and contact them via PM. Alternately, you can post a request for an editor. None of it's guaranteed, though.
 
I looked at this thread and the earlier responses have dealt with the particular issue well.

I thought I would take a different tack, I looked up your name then found your stories and part read several of them. Having done so, I'm not surprised that this misunderstanding occurred. I would describe your English as generally a bit clunky.

All is well for a section, then perhaps a phrase is given a full stop as though it was a sentence. I noted on more than one occasion two different tenses wrongly used in the same sentence. There are also some peculiarities of grammar and punctuation from time to time. And, as in this case, you sometimes express yourself correctly but awkwardly.

I'm not bagging your stories, but you do need an editor to go through them before submission. It would iron out some of the issues fairly easily.

One thing in your favour is that as you have written about a particular fetish; the people interested in that fetish are probably less critical of technical issues.
 
Good luck. I have to say, no one I've ever met has introduced a sibling as my "x-year-younger" or "y-year-older" brother or sister.

This. Chalk me up as yet another who read it as "my 17-year-old" brother.

OP: when several people all misread the story the same way, you might want to consider the possibility that your expression is unclear.
 
I need a cms expert here.

I can buy 'my 17-year-old brother', but surely it is 'my 17 years older brother'? (I prefer 'seventeen' - just me).

Don't the hyphens screw things up?

Perhaps that was the problem?
 
I need a cms expert here.

I can buy 'my 17-year-old brother', but surely it is 'my 17 years older brother'? (I prefer 'seventeen' - just me).

Don't the hyphens screw things up?

Perhaps that was the problem?

No, the hyphens make it clearer. The problem, to me, was that "my 17-year-older brother" is an awkward construction that I've never seen before. My brain immediately read "my 17-year-old brother" because that's what I'm used to seeing. Our brains do that sometimes, and that's what makes self-editing difficult, I'd imagine.

Either way, there should be hyphens.
 
??

No, the hyphens make it clearer. The problem, to me, was that "my 17-year-older brother" is an awkward construction that I've never seen before. My brain immediately read "my 17-year-old brother" because that's what I'm used to seeing. Our brains do that sometimes, and that's what makes self-editing difficult, I'd imagine.

Either way, there should be hyphens.

Why not just write it another way, "my brother, that is 17 years older than I/me" or " My brother is 17 years older than I am", "My brother is older than I am by 17 years, etc, etc. That would have have made the censors happy----- maybe !!!!
 
Why not just write it another way, "my brother, that is 17 years older than I/me" or " My brother is 17 years older than I am", "My brother is older than I am by 17 years, etc, etc. That would have have made the censors happy----- maybe !!!!

Not according to the reason (finally revealed) for the rejection. It was rejected for role playing of underage, not for actually being underage. These are two different things.

And the question also wasn't how it could be rewritten. It was written that way and the OP is obviously satisfied with writing it that way.
 
No, the hyphens make it clearer. The problem, to me, was that "my 17-year-older brother" is an awkward construction that I've never seen before. My brain immediately read "my 17-year-old brother" because that's what I'm used to seeing. Our brains do that sometimes, and that's what makes self-editing difficult, I'd imagine.

Either way, there should be hyphens.

I ask, probably through ignorance, a couple or two ponts:

- Shouldn't numbers over 12 be alphabetized?

- Isn't there a grammatical difference between the adjectival, 'my seventeen-year-old brother and my seventeen year older brother? (Admittedly a clumsy construction).

- I question any CMS rules on hyphens here.
 
I ask, probably through ignorance, a couple or two ponts:

- Shouldn't numbers over 12 be alphabetized?

Sorry, I don't know what you mean here. How or why would you alphabetize a number? If you mean should it be spelled out, then the answer is yes. I've seen guidelines that numbers under one hundred should be spelled out in most cases.

- Isn't there a grammatical difference between the adjectival, 'my seventeen-year-old brother and my seventeen year older brother? (Admittedly a clumsy construction).

- I question any CMS rules on hyphens here.

Why is your second phrase not adjectival; i.e., descriptive?

If you are talking about someone via their age difference, then you hyphenate it. "My seventeen-year-old brother" means a brother who is seventeen years of age. "My seventeen-years-older" brother means a brother who is seventeen years older than the speaker. These are combined (compound?) adjectives, and those are hyphenated.

I'm not even talking about the CMS here. These are rules I learned in grammar and high school.
 
Oh, how I wish I could delete the posts and the account.

Best advice I can give anyone coming here for the first time, do what I did:

"This message is hidden because sr71plt is on your ignore list."

I've changed my age to display as 12 in hopes that it will get my account deleted for being underage. The same folks that took down a no-sex-adults-only story will not delete the account nor allow me to delete it. Therefore, I shall attempt the Traci Lord solution.

So, you can wonder if I was misrepresented my age when I registered or I'm now. Either way, it would seem safer to delete me and be done with it, ridding yourself of the headache. After all, the same busybody that reported my story surely would be outraged over allowing a minor to frequent a sexually explicit site.
 
Back
Top