Requests

Does anyone do photoshops or requests for drawings? Just curious.

If you are persuasive enough then Throbbs is the right person. He has very strong feelings for photoshop edited artwork, esp. the paintings and special effects. Although some people prefer to pay for this kind of work, but he will disagree and that too strongly.

Good luck for your search ..

If you are persuasive enough then Throbbs is the right person. He has very strong feelings for photoshop edited artwork, esp. the paintings and special effects. Although some people prefer to pay for this kind of work, but he will disagree and that too strongly.

Good luck for your search ..

I disagree, strongly. sorta.

I sometimes edit my OWN work in photoshop. I do believe (strongly) that Photoshop should* be used as a tool not a generator. I have done and know those who do legitimate digital paintings** in photoshop (and/or other applications)

I also would encourage people to pay (reasonably) for quality creative work.
If one can extort money for applying a filter, then you are a lucky weasel. Perhaps some are willing, because they do not have access to the programs.

*shoulda, woulda, coulda... and people shouldn't kill each other, people (me too, no really) should be kind. etc.

** a NON-legitimate digital "painting" is using the paint tools to alter a photo, which one did not take, to pass off as their own imaginative and creative work.

Even altering one's own photo that way, is pretty lame.

I do use photos for reference (not always), and I have collaged together photos for various purpose, but it is rare that is "Art" even when done with craftsmanship.

I disagree, strongly. sorta.

I sometimes edit my OWN work in photoshop. I do believe (strongly) that Photoshop should* be used as a tool not a generator. I have done and know those who do legitimate digital paintings** in photoshop (and/or other applications)

I also would encourage people to pay (reasonably) for quality creative work.
If one can extort money for applying a filter, then you are a lucky weasel. Perhaps some are willing, because they do not have access to the programs.

*shoulda, woulda, coulda... and people shouldn't kill each other, people (me too, no really) should be kind. etc.

** a NON-legitimate digital "painting" is using the paint tools to alter a photo, which one did not take, to pass off as their own imaginative and creative work.

Even altering one's own photo that way, is pretty lame.

I do use photos for reference (not always), and I have collaged together photos for various purpose, but it is rare that is "Art" even when done with craftsmanship.

What is your take on digital "copy" work? I am a very good (okay more like "varying with interest") copy artist. If I see something, I can copy it reasonable well.
e.g. One artist was an excellent freehand artist. I would take their image, and post it next to my monitor screen. Sometimes I use a camera-obscura process and sometimes I just do it by eye.
And I replicate what I see digitally, thus what I call a "copy artist".

I used to be able to do "copy" work like this doing it freehand with pencil (or pen) and paper. At one time, I was very good with freehand artwork (completely original), but I haven't used that in more than 20 years and I don't have the same flair anymore.
I got too enamored with the straight edge or hard edge with regards to french curves. :rolleyes: :eek:

Note: I am NOT talking about someone who "traces" artwork, when I describe "copy" work.

Hmm, I guess this is off topic for a "requests" thread... :( :eek:

What is your take on digital "copy" work? I am a very good (okay more like "varying with interest") copy artist. If I see something, I can copy it reasonable well.
e.g. One artist was an excellent freehand artist. I would take their image, and post it next to my monitor screen. Sometimes I use a camera-obscura process and sometimes I just do it by eye.

I used to be able to do "copy" work like this doing it freehand with pencil (or pen) and paper. At one time, I was very good with freehand artwork (completely original), but I haven't used that in more than 20 years and I don't have the same flair anymore.
I got too enamored with the straight edge or hard edge with regards to french curves. :rolleyes: :eek:

Note: I am NOT talking about someone who "traces" artwork, when I describe "copy" work.

With regard to "copy work", as you call it: I think that can be good "practice" towards developing one's own style. I would not call it "art", so much as exercise in technique. Doing so freehand (either digitally or mechanically) is a better practice than tracing. Sometimes, at early stages of learning, tracing can be helpful to understand 2-dimensional layout, but as soon as possible I would recommend moving on from that.

my opinion.

With regard to "copy work", as you call it: I think that can be good "practice" towards developing one's own style. I would not call it "art", so much as exercise in technique. Doing so freehand (either digitally or mechanically) is a better practice than tracing. Sometimes, at early stages of learning, tracing can be helpful to understand 2-dimensional layout, but as soon as possible I would recommend moving on from that.

my opinion.

Well, mostly I would agree, but then I consider what my art teacher told me about someone who replicates master art work or doing refurbishing work for museums.

If I was a youngun' I'd probably agree with the "moving on" concept...

Well, mostly I would agree, but then I consider what my art teacher told me about someone who replicates master art work or doing refurbishing work for museums.

If I was a youngun' I'd probably agree with the "moving on" concept...

So, what did your art teacher tell you about someone who replicates master art work or doing refurbishing work for museums?

To me, that work (refurbishing work for museums) is valid work and requires a certain mastery, skill and craftsmanship, but is not "Art" in and of itself.

I am not a "youngun' " and I still HIGHLY recommend moving on, move forward, advance one's skills and ability to see. If one only replicates other's work, then one is not bringing forth anything truly new or imaginative.

Last edited:
So, what did your art teacher tell you about someone who replicates master art work or doing refurbishing work for museums?

To me, that work (refurbishing work for museums) is valid work and requires a certain mastery, skill and craftsmanship, but is not "Art" in and of itself.

I am not a "youngun' " and I still HIGHLY recommend moving on, move forward, advance one's skills and ability to see. If one only replicates other's work, then one is not bringing forth anything truly new or imaginative.

Filters can add a new dimension ..

like another coat of glowing spray paint .. ?

Copying is no sin. Plagiarism is ..
Everyone copies human beings and animals .. ah! create new species!

Back