Disneyland attendance keeps going up despite price hikes

renard_ruse

Break up Amazon
Joined
Aug 30, 2007
Posts
16,094
...Disneyland raised single-day ticket prices and annual pass fees June 12.

The one-day, one-park pass goes from $80 to $87.

Starting Sunday, visitors will pay $21 more than they did four years ago for a single-day pass to either park, and $46 more than 11 years ago when there was only the Disneyland park; California Adventure opened in 2001.

This year's $7 hike is on par with annual changes over the past decade: Disney has boosted prices between $2 and $7 annually over that time...

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/pass-354915-prices-disneyland.html

Yet, attendance at the park keeps increasing year after year:

2008: 14,721,000; 2009: 15,900,000; 2010: 15,980,000; 2011: 16,140,000.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_amusement_park_rankings

:confused:
 
Look in the eyes of your child, who wants to go there, and you know they got ya by the balls. Even when you don't have any!
 
On top of that parking was $14 a few years ago, its probably $114 by now. :(

I've heard so many people saying they never go anymore, can't afford to take their kids, etc., but somebody keeps going.

I think its due to the continuing growth in population. The same park accomodates ever growing population. Sure, they opened California Adventure but its a piece of crap in comparison. Nobody goes there before they've gone to Disneyland.

There are just so many people in Cali and worldwide, that greedy entertainment conglomerates can get away with soaking families.
 
If people want or need the product the producer can get away with jacking up prices. It iss what the market can bear. Does Disneyland have any competition?

There are other parks, Knotts Berry Farm, Six Flags, even Sea World, Legoland, and the other Disney park California Adventure, but sadly none of the same calibre. Its the gold standard of theme parks.

When I was a kid we went several times a year. It was much more affordable.
 
In yesteryear when times were bad people went to Disneyland or world...amusement parks in general also the movies more.

They drink more too.
 
The government should control their prices through regulation or similar actions.

It's ridiculous that a company is allowed to gouge consumers who have few other viable options. Families struggle to pay their bills but wealthy Disney executives don't seem to care.
 
The government should control their prices through regulation or similar actions.

It's ridiculous that a company is allowed to gouge consumers who have few other viable options. Families struggle to pay their bills but wealthy Disney executives don't seem to care.

The LWCJ on here thinks the gub'ment should subsidize people's internet and cable TV, so why not?

Seriously, though, the issue to me is population growth. There are far more people then there were 30 years ago. If they did't charge these ridiculous prices the park would have five times more visitors than it does now and it couldn't function. It already is horribly crowded on a summer day. It does suck for lower and middle income parents.
 
The real truth is they want to rape you for a one day ticket to encourage you to buy multi day tickets that get cheaper real fast. Buy a 7 day ticket and the last 2 or 3 days may only cost you 10 bucks compared to a one day ticket.

It's their way of keeping on the properties and get all your vacation money.

At Disney World it is even more so. They have thousands of low rate $69 motel rooms right on the property. The provide transportation to all 4 parks and there are no parking fees.
 
There are other parks, Knotts Berry Farm, Six Flags, even Sea World, Legoland, and the other Disney park California Adventure, but sadly none of the same calibre. Its the gold standard of theme parks.

Well I have to say that I have never heard of any of those places. I think someone coming from out of state would choose Disneyland both on the basis of familiarity and the "legend" factor.

Someone who has taken the time and spent the money to come to CA is not going to mind paying what you see as inflated prices for the experience.
 
Well I have to say that I have never heard of any of those places. I think someone coming from out of state would choose Disneyland both on the basis of familiarity and the "legend" factor.

Someone who has taken the time and spent the money to come to CA is not going to mind paying what you see as inflated prices for the experience.

You've never heard of Sea World? How is that even possible?
 
So we should socialize Disneyland? :confused:

So you're saying we shouldn't?

And that's not my point, but it is interesting there is so little concern about lower income families when it comes to amusement parks, sports events, and other forms of entertainment.
 
So you're saying we shouldn't?

And that's not my point, but it is interesting there is so little concern about lower income families when it comes to amusement parks, sports events, and other forms of entertainment.

Not really. Being poor sucks. That pretty much sums it up.
 
So you're saying we shouldn't?

And that's not my point, but it is interesting there is so little concern about lower income families when it comes to amusement parks, sports events, and other forms of entertainment.

I'm more worried about food, education, and healthcare.
 
So you're saying we shouldn't?

And that's not my point, but it is interesting there is so little concern about lower income families when it comes to amusement parks, sports events, and other forms of entertainment.

With all the money problems government has the last thing they should be arguing about is theme parks. I love theme parks and usually get an annual pass. I live paycheck to paycheck and have to save up to buy one. I live in Florida so I have lots of choices. Some are way cheaper than others.

You can buy a Florida State Park pass for around $80. It's good for a year and includes everyone in the car.
 
I'm more worried about food, education, and healthcare.

So you agree no subsidized internet or cable TV for lower income?

What about requiring TV networks to carry a certain amount of children's programming?
 
Anyway, we live in much worse times than when I was a child. Everything costs too much.

And now, some self-appointed safety advocacy group is even going after Dino-jumps (those inflatable jump for joy things).

Kids can't even ride hop on their bike to ride a block to their friends house without putting on a helmet. I know I would have just stopped riding my bike if they had that rule back then. :mad:
 
Back
Top