2017 NaNoWriMo support thread

NaNoWrMo2017

I'm going to try an do NaNo this year. It's pretty hard to concentrate here in Houston. My family is going bonkers. I can't get any peace.
 
Caffeine, it fuels me and my compadres in IT when we code.
Caffeine, it fuels me when I write.
I hope others are furiously typing in their laptops, desktops, or notebooks.


2,835 words written today, so far
10,876 words to date!

Moving right along.
 
Congratulations to all those participating.

After an expected break yesterday I'm back on track at 8,214 words (I'm aiming for over 2,000 a day).

But one story I'm intending for the Winter Holiday Contest has had a massive 4 (yes - FOUR) words added since the start of NaNoWriMo. :eek:
 
I don't know how many words I have and don't plan to count them until the end of the month. My goal was to write. I'm doing that.
 
I don't know how many words I have and don't plan to count them until the end of the month. My goal was to write. I'm doing that.

Good for you!

I find the more I keep checking the time the more it passes without me progressing, so I bet words counting could work the same way.

In any case happy writing!
 
Good for you!

I find the more I keep checking the time the more it passes without me progressing, so I bet words counting could work the same way.

In any case happy writing!

In the past I have used the NaNoWriMo month just to finish some of the stalled stories. The number of words didn't matter. What I counted was the number of stories/chapters completed.

This time I know there will be several days when I won't be able to write anything. I would like to have finished 50,000 words by the end of the month but might only have 20 writing days. So far I have written on 3 out of 4 days. I need to build up the number of words written on the days I can write.

But it doesn't really matter. NaNoWriMo is a tool for me to use. If I reach 50,000? That's good. If I finish some stories? That's more important. If I don't do as much as I had hoped? Other things must have interfered and those things must have been more important e.g. I'm attending a one-day conference and several half-day meetings in November. Those are already in my diary making six of the non-writing days.

Make of NaNo what you will. If you get any writing done at all, NaNoWriMo has been good for you.
 
I agree with Ogg, practice writing consistently is far more important than the actual word count.

I got a thousand in yesterday and wrote a difficult scene. Moving on today.
 
Well, I've got my 8k word short story outlined and my 55k novella outlined and mapped out chapter by chapter. Now for the serious writing to begin....
 
Spent the vast majority of today finishing up a 5K story.

Yes, it's not my best, but it's there!
 
I'm slipping on word count totals.

I'm continuing with three possible entries for the Winter Holidays Contest but grandchildren have been eroding my writing time. Today I had to buy the eldest one a new bicycle. Buying it wasn't a problem. It was choosing the right one that took so long...
 
I haven't checked in since the start but I'm at a whole 19024 word vomit count so far. I'm pretty sure there is around 1900 usable words in that mess!
 
Back on track. One story, written as part of NaNoWriMo, posted on Literotica and three other stories progressing.

Word count as of now: 17,873

That's not as good as I had hoped. I was aiming for 2,000 words a day to allow for family and community interference. But it is more than the NaNoWriMo minimum of 1,667 a day.
 
I hit 30K tomorrow!

Again, loving this Collection of Short Stories idea/project! I can whip out them out quicker.
 
My word count total took a huge ding. I've decided I hate the story I started and have changed.
 
I deleted at least two words for every one I kept but I made it through the toughest spot of the story. The entire feel shifted. I'm spending some time with my sister tomorrow. She lost her husband to cancer a little less than a month ago and is struggling. So no writing until later in the day.
 
I'm afraid I forgot to write today. :rolleyes: Too much work/doctors office/health insurance hassle. Could have gotten some done waiting in the docs office for two hours but my battery died, have to be able to plug in. Will have to make it up tomorrow.
 
Just a thousand words today. Something that will be edited in December and then shared either on Literortica or on Writing(dot)com
 
Just added a thousand words, running about a day behind. I know the days not over but it is for me. I'll have to make it up at another time.
 
Added 5k words to "Mistaken Identity", 4K words to "White Christmas" and a stunning 367 to "Blood Sacrifice" over the weekend. And now to work..... real work, alas.
 
I'm still behind the daily target but I and jeanne have posted two Winter Holiday contest entries written or completed as part of NaNoWriMo.

I'm working on three other stories at present. Two might be Winter Holiday entries. The other is another Tripletit story.

But my three-part Brigit story has a Christmas tale part written. It couldn't be a Winter Holiday entry because it is another chapter/part. But I hope to have it posted before Christmas.
 
Grammarly

I have installed the free Grammarly program.

Today it sent me a two-week report i.e. the two weeks of NaNoWriMo.

It tells me:

1. It has checked 27,943 words for me since 1 November.

2. I was more productive than 98% of Grammarly users.

3. I had 487 alerts. I was more accurate than 68% of Grammarly users. Most of those (377) were missing commas.

4. I used more unique words than 98% of Grammarly users. I used 3,921 unique words.

BUT - I have Grammarly turned OFF for my NaNoWriMo writing!
 
Using my vast computer skills - okay so I just created a simple Excel program - I'm just over 40K words. It looks like I'll be finishing BEFORE Thanksgiving this year.

And it appears I'll be editing much in December.
 
Back
Top