What little kindness did you today?

pplwatching

Full grown man
Joined
Jul 4, 2003
Posts
2,345
Here's a challenge for everyone ... Every day for a week, until the new year, or for as long as you feel inspired do something nice for someone. It doesn't have to be big or cost any money. The only criteria is that you do it selflessly, just to make the recipients day a little easier, better, or brighter. If you are married or in a long term relationship, do something nice for your partner every day.

I hope you'll consider posting here. I'd like to know if consistently doing something altruistic improves your mood and maybe even your relationship. I'm also always looking for ideas for things I can do for my wife, family, and coworkers.

In my experience it's generally considered bad form to do something kind or nice for someone, and then to call attention to it, but if you like to hear "good job" when you do something nice, then here's your chance to get a little credit for being a decent human being. I don't check in very often, but I promise when I do in return I'll give you an atta-boy (or girl) and compliment you on your selflessness :)
 
This is a really great idea for a thread! Hopefully it will get lots of posts.
 
I don't talk about, or I try not to talk about things I've done to help others. But there have been times when I was at my most vulnerable, like going through radiation, when.someone was kind to me in some way, which usually brought tears to my eyes. Those moments haven't been forgotten.
 
I don't talk about, or I try not to talk about things I've done to help others. But there have been times when I was at my most vulnerable, like going through radiation, when.someone was kind to me in some way, which usually brought tears to my eyes. Those moments haven't been forgotten.

Exactly.
 
I had a woman ask me for a jump today, then another asked me where to go, so I told her. Seriously, this actually happened, and I felt great afterward!:cool:

What, you want all the gory details? Fine, woman #1 had a dead battery, woman #2 was looking for a gas station. :D I'm not kidding, this actually happened today, and the funny thing was, I wasn't even finished helping woman #1 before #2 showed up. I made both their day.:cool:
 
Thanks for the posts! Yes yes ... we don't do things for recognition but we're anonymous here. I doubt anything I do is going to change anyone's opinion of me.

Rainshine, it's even better if it's premeditated. I know I don't usually wake up and say, "I'm going to do something nice for someone today." Most of us don't really think about it, and do what needs to be done when the opportunity presents itself. Setting a goal sounds like a fun project.

Nice work NippleMuncher. The last time someone asked me to help them with a car problem, they took advantage of me. It's good to remember that there are people who really do have a problem and need help, and aren't just looking for an opening to take advantage. I've become kind of jaded between that experience and a couple of others. You get a gold star.

Funny thing about car trouble ... I ran my car out of gas today. It's kind of a longish story, but it wasn't far from home so I left it there until this evening when I had time to deal with it. Today is the first really cold day we've had this year (14 degrees as I was walking), but it was close by so I grabbed a gas can out of the garage a little while ago and walked to the car. A couple pulled up next to where I was walking and asked, "It's freezing out here, do you want a ride to a gas station?" I declined (the car wasn't far away), but it was nice to see someone offer instead of driving on by. They get a star too.

For my good deed I asked a friend's mom, who is elderly and I know is very lonely, out to lunch tomorrow. I know it will mean a lot to her but then we always have fun chatting over lunch. I should take her out more often.

Anyone else who doesn't like to mention a good turn, do post about it and maybe you'll inspire someone else to do a good turn too. You can always post about something nice that someone did for you :).

All the best
 
Oh, I forgot about Friday, I mowed a friend's lawn as a Christmas present. It's a big yard, a really big yard. I was already there doing something else and I thought it would be a nice gesture. I had an email this morning thanking me. That one made me feel good too.
 
Nice. Moving a lawn is a big time investment.

This morning I took care of getting the kids to school so my wife could sleep in.

Lunch was nice. My wife joined me and we took our friend to her favorite restaurant. She and I split a bowl of her favorite soup, which is too large for her on her own. I was about to pass on dessert when she asked the waitress, "What do you have?". So we split a dessert too, after which I picked up the tab. A lovely lunch all around.
 
I had a woman ask me for a jump today, then another asked me where to go, so I told her. Seriously, this actually happened, and I felt great afterward!:cool:

What, you want all the gory details? Fine, woman #1 had a dead battery, woman #2 was looking for a gas station. :D I'm not kidding, this actually happened today, and the funny thing was, I wasn't even finished helping woman #1 before #2 showed up. I made both their day.:cool:

This makes me think of an episode of the Simpsons where Homer decides to be nice. He's telling someone of his good deeds and he says something like, "A nice couple stopped and asked for directions to the airport. And I told them, even though I didn't know the way, because that's just the kind of guy I am."
 
This makes me think of an episode of the Simpsons where Homer decides to be nice. He's telling someone of his good deeds and he says something like, "A nice couple stopped and asked for directions to the airport. And I told them, even though I didn't know the way, because that's just the kind of guy I am."

What do you expect for free? If you want correct answers, those are gonna cost ya!
 
Prevented myself from telling someone to f off. Does that count? :)
 
I helped push-start a guy's truck for him.

Nice job!

Prevented myself from telling someone to f off. Does that count? :)

:rolleyes: Not unless you paid them a compliment instead, or got them a cup of coffee. :D

I fixed a leaky toilet at a mom and pop store. It was just a mis-adjusted float,
but at least it's not sending money down the drain any more.
 
Then to make up for being a grumpy, sickie, and lacking Christmas spirit, I paid for a little old lady's groceries. She gave me the best cuddle I've ever had. <3

Wow. That's terrific! You get bonus points for that. Now that you've raised the bar I'll have to think of something ;) ...
 
This isn't what most people would consider a standard act of kindness, but I apologized to my son today. Apologies, true and sincere apologies, are hard because in my case I was admitting to my son that I acted like a crazy lady as well as an idiot. My son graciously accepted instead of telling me what a crazy lady I am. :)
 
This isn't what most people would consider a standard act of kindness, but I apologized to my son today.

I think that any act of humility counts. You tought your son a valuable life lesson ; that it's important to admit when we're wrong and ask forgivness. Very nicely done. I admire you.


Today a friend of mine who is really going through hard times financially made a small financial guesture to an employee at a sandwhich shop. I don't think you read this board, but my friend you have my admiration too. I know how much those few dollars mean to you in your situation. You are truly a decent human being.

I did nothing today that can hold a candle to either of you two ladies, so I respectfully wish you both a lovely night.
 
Call me Gilligan, I took a three hour tour today.

I am cleaning a friends house, a task that is supposed to take three hours or less, it took me 9 hours to complete and I didn't really get to the kitchen.

I've basically taken over from her former housekeeper whom never cleaned a major portion of the house. Nothing was ever moved to vacuum or dust, which is an indicator that other periodic necessities were neglected.

Two hours in I was just finishing the two bathrooms. From there time became a blur, I was working my ass off, yet not making much progress through the house. By the end of the 9 hours I was closing in on the kitchen. My friend finally came home, I'm beat, and I muster enough strength to finish the kitchen floor.

It has never been so clear that MY standard of clean is not everyone else's standard of clean. The next time I clean for her things will definitely go much more quickly because I won't have to "deep" clean as I did today.

Did I mention that I didn't make it to the pool either? I guess that's what tomorrow was made for! :D
 
Yesterday I worked a food drive for a local food bank....Hunger is not acceptable, especially for kids. Little acts of kindness create those ripples in the pond.
 
Wishing everyone a great day and RAOK's. This is a great thread.

Daus, I totally agree with you.

Thank you ppl. :)
 
Yesterday I worked a food drive for a local food bank....Hunger is not acceptable, especially for kids.

A very nice way to spend the day! I try to teach my kids that charity is both a priveledge and an obligation. Last month we made Thanksgiving baskets for the needy, but I do worry that they come away thinking that doing something at the holidays is a substitute for helping every day. We should probably volunteer more.


Call me Gilligan, I took a three hour tour today.

That's a pretty substantial time investment, Gilligan. Is this an altruistic gesture for a friend in need? Not that it really matters, because it's a nice gesture, but that particular situation is familiar to me so I am curious.

Wishing everyone a great day and RAOK's.
Ha. I read that and had to do a double take. I thought you said "wishing everyone a great RACK. :devil: My eyes don't work so great sometimes ;)
 
That's a pretty substantial time investment, Gilligan. Is this an altruistic gesture for a friend in need? Not that it really matters, because it's a nice gesture, but that particular situation is familiar to me so I am curious.

Not so altruistic, more of a necessity for me. My original plan was to do a crappy once through, as the previous keeper had done, then choose one room per week and thoroughly go through it. I ended up pretty much doing everything yesterday. Still a few items in each room to address at a later date, but clean for the most part and definitely cleaner than the previous keeper ever got.

The altruistic side is that I'm cleaning to my level, which means the house is actually getting cleaned, not just "look" cleaned. Half-assed is not in my nature.
 
pplwatching;42756838Ha. I read that and had to do a double take. I thought you said "wishing everyone a great RACK. :devil: My eyes don't work so great sometimes ;)[/QUOTE said:
 
Back
Top