The Guardian

Cali smirked as the man on the bed looked up, surprised. He clearly hadn't expected her. "Desca. I know I don't need to introduce myself. What I don't know is what you were doing in Trailwilde Park. It's not anywhere in the vicinity of the Luzio's territory, and Papa Luzio is not in the habit of sending his men to the other side of town."

The man glared at her through his one good eye, and kept silent. His look said it all, "I know my rights. I'm not speaking to no lady cop."

She studied the machines a moment. "Now I could technically make you talk, but I happen to know you're probably liking the attention you get from nurse cutie pie over at the nurse's station, and I'm not the kind to cause trouble." Her eyes twinkled at that, and he scowled as best he could under the swollen lip and bandages. Her face then hardened as she glared at the patient. "Get one thing straight, though, Desca. You don't scare me, and Papa Luzio sure as hell doesn't scare me. So when your buddies come to see you, let them know that if any of them step in that neighborhood again, I'll make sure that whoever did this will finish the job. Per alcuni. Capito?" she finished in Italian.

(For certain. Understand?)

Fixing her face into a smile, she turned and headed out the door, walking purposefully down the hall.
 
He heard the door open further down the hall and steps coming towards, he knew it was her, the fact that he knew her just by her tread must have made him a stalker. He chuckled softly at the thought, shaking his head slightly as he turned a page, he didn't look up at her as she drew close, but he was confident that his current disguise would halt any suspicion, his mind already ready to change his voice enough to not give away it was him. The footsteps paused, right in front of him, for a moment a slight touch of apprehension took hold of him, but he forced himself to look up, to meet her gaze, he nodded,

"G'day ma'am."

He tilted his head slightly as she seemed to study him,

"Somethin' tha matter? Could ah help yah?"
 
Cali paused as she looked at the man on the hard plastic seat who spoke to her. She felt that prickle of awareness, of familiarity, but she couldn't place him. Maybe he had one of those faces, or maybe she had seen him as a bypasser in one of her cases. Shrugging internally, she shook her head. "No, I was just trying to get my bearings. This place is so big, sometimes I forget where I am going."

She gave him a smile before moving toward the nurse's station. She wanted to leave her card and requests for a call if any of Desca's buddies showed. The nurses showed some alarm at her handing her card, but she quickly reassured them. "He might have witnessed something related to a case I'm on, and his friends or family might also have some leads. That's all." She didn't need to change the way people looked at the man. He might cause them harm if there was suddenly too much suspicion.

Giving the nurses a small smile, she headed toward the elevators. She made a mental note to get a plain-clothed LEO to watch Desca's room.
 
There was a small glint, not that she had recognized him, but that she became aware of a subtle hint, luckily his disguise held up under her scrutiny and she dismissed him as just another visitor. He watched her leave and stop at the nursing station, he turned his attention back to the magazine just in case he came under scrutiny once again.

He waited for a few moments after she had left, he got to his feet and peeled the disguise from his face, the darker hair would take a bit of water to get out. He slipped out of the jacket he wore, turned it inside out, transforming it to a green Hornets jacket. Only the briefest flash of the shoulder harness holding his pistol and even then it was hidden by his movements. He walked to the front and watched her as she left, he found it strange that the past few weeks she had been more and more in contact with him. So far his disguises had saved him even though he was sure that she had no idea what Santiago really looks like.

Moments later he was in the car and following her again at a discreet distance, in his mind he was already running over a few of her cases that still had some mopping up, people who might be gunning for her and came to a conclusion that the Red Dragons would be next. They not only had killed a few shop owners by now, but the community they operated in was too frightened to point them out. He knew that a break in this case would not only help her immensely, it would keep her out of the neighborhood and the very real threat of getting killed by Yakuza.
 
She thought about her other cases as she headed back to the precinct. OF course her threat to Desca had been an empty one. She didn't know who had banged him up or why, but he didn't know that. And a good detective always knew when to play her bluffs.

Sighing she debated going to buy a coffee at the local overpriced coffeshop establishment, but she still had a nice cup of java that only needed reheating back at her desk. She did, however, need to make a visit to a lead, while she was in the neighborhood. Taking a right, she headed in the direction of a small jewelry shop in an upscale part of town, and parked her bike under a leafy birch.

Tucking her helmet under her arm, she went into the store with the maroon awning, the bell jingling slightly as the door moved. Therein was a portly little man named Blake Fisher -- a romantic hero name for a man who was anything but. He glanced up to see who entered, his lips tightening as he moved down the counter toward her. His voice was a whisper as she bent to pretend to study some bracelets. "What are you doing here?" he hissed.

She pursed her lips and wrinkled her nose as if she didn't like her selection, but her voice was directed to Fisher. "I'm following a lead, Fisher. What do you got?"

"You shouldn't be in here. What if he sees me talking to you? You don't exactly look like my usual clients." He glanced pointedly at her leather jacket and helmet.

Cali tried not to snort and failed. "Do I look that out of place in this frou frou store? I can't be wanting to buy something shiny and pretty as a gift to myself?" She moved over to the earrings next, then the semi--precious jeweled rings. She pointed out a topaz and aquamarine ring, and said she wanted to see it better in a normal voice. He nodded and pulled out the ring case, taking the ring and holding it out to her. She placed it on her finger and admired it, as she spoke in soft undertones. "I want a name and an address. You said he had come in before with one of his mistresses to buy her something pretty."

"And you think he gave me his address?" he asked incredulously as she pointed out another ring and handed the one she wore back. She chuckled. "No, but I bet she did."

He tried not to groan. "You're going to get me killed, Rinna." She gave him a smile, but shook her head. "No I won't. Just a name and an address Fisher. Then I can leave you to your baubles and your overindulged sense of importance. But if you don't give me anything, then I will make sure to have every gaudy streetwalker come to your place just to drive away your clientele." She smiled sweetly and handed him back the ring she was supposedly looking at, he glared a few moments then nodded, speaking outloud in a normal voice. "I'm sorry ma'am, I don't have the cut you're looking for, but let me check my list. Maybe one of my fellow partners will have what you seek."

She gave him a smile. "Thank you. You are most kind."

She could hear the "yeah, yeah, yeah" in his posture as he went to get her information. Shortly afterward, he returned with a slip of paper with a few names and addresses. "Here you go, ma'am. Here are a few options, but the one with the star is the one you want to check first. That location specializes in the style you want."

Translation: Here's a list of names of the ladies he's brought in, the one with the star is most likely the one you're looking for.

She took the list. "Thank you so much, sir. If you happen to see the style I want, could you please let me know?" (In other words, if he shows up again call me). He nodded, and she turned to head out, chuckling to herself and shaking her head.
 
John had parked a block away, got out of the car, slipped off his jacket and slipped on the non-descriptive grey hoodie he kept with him. He walked down the road and slipped into the shop two buildings removed from where she had entered. It was a small shop with all the basic essentials, the owner had just placed the phone into the cradle when he entered. He strolled through the shelves, very much aware of the eyes on him, he finally bought a bottle of water and a packet of snapsticks.

It was then that the sound of motorbikes filled the road and as he looked out a group of eight bikes pulled up next to Cali's bike. He glanced at the shop owner and saw the Triad mark on his left hand, with a smile, he flicked the hoodie on to his head and zipped it up fully, as he stepped outside he could see the group of twelve converging on Cali.
 
She tensed slightly, but she continued walking to her bike, slowly placing her helmet on her bike seat, slipping the list to her zipper pocket. She crossed her arms over her chest to look somewhat intimidating. "What can I do for you gentlemen? Are you lost? Really if you wanted directions, one person is fine. Twelve is a bit of an overkill."

She moved her body into a stance ready to defend herself even if she was grossly outnumbered.
 
From their movements it was clear that they were there to do more than talk to Cali, John was on the move when the first weapon appeared. To her credit Cali took down the man with a punch and well-timed kick, but more weapons came into view, steel pipes, knives and even knuckle busters. They moved forward as one, John reached them on that moment. He grabbed hold of the gang member and yanked him backwards.

Releasing his hold, he caught the stumbling man with a wicked cross hook to the jaw, the sound was like a twig snapping. The nearest gang member turned in surprise, John caught him with a side thrust kick to the jaw, staggering him into the fellow next to him. John had to block as the man to his left came at him with a steel pipe, he took hold of the pipe, pulled the man forward and slammed his head into the man's nose, the hold on the pipe loosened, he tore the pipe from the man's grip and brought his left fist up in an uppercut.

Turning he lashed out with his newly acquired weapon, feeling bone break under the impact. Two of the gang members now came towards him, clearly they now saw him as a threat. He dispatched of them, gaining two cuts, one on his forearm and the other across his chest. A well-timed kick and swing with the steel pipe brought another man's murderous intentions to an end. The next man received a furious slash across the face from the steel pipe, nose gushing blood.

The next one seemed to know some hand-to-hand combat as he parried John's attack, John blocked the follow-up attack and deflected the knife at the last moment, the steel pipe cracked the wrist, the knife fell to the ground, a blow to the knee and windpipe took the fight right out of the man. John threw the pipe at the man creeping up on Cali from behind as she fended off the last of the attackers, the pipe met with a loud thud, the man sagged to the ground, concussed if not worse.

John looked around, the gang members left on the ground was in no shape to actually present any problems for her. He drew a card from his pants pocket and dropped it on the last fallen man, it was the dark Joker from a card pack, the calling card of Santiago. With a grin he took off, purposefully running away from where his car was parked, the wounds stung, but he knew that he could look after them later on, they were not too dangerous.
 
It was a blur as she fought to defend herself, when she saw there was another in the fray. She wanted to watch who it was, but instinct to survive overrode her curiosity. As she shook her head as the last fighter backhanded her with a punch, she dispatched him with a kick to the kneecaps. SHaking her head, she turned to see the man, was it a man? in a gray sweater. He looked a bit blurry. As she forced herself to focus on the card, she widened her eyes as she recognized the symbol. Santiago! Santiago had helped her? Even though she was slightly dizzy and her ears were ringing, she began to run after the man.

"Stop! Wait!" She called as she pulled out her phone from her pocket to call in the assault and for the police to pick up the thugs who had tried to beat her up. She continued to run after calling it in, and attempted to speed up. He had to be hurting. She was. But this was too good an opportunity to pass up. "Stop! Damn it!" She didn't call out that she was police in this neighborhood. It was obvious that it wouldn't be such a safe move.
 
He took a left turn and found a chain link fence barring the way, he took a few breaths ran towards the broken crates next to the wall, he step on them, using the wall to push himself upwards, gripping the top of the fence and faulted it with ease. He landed in a crouch and ran a few more steps, pausing to look back at Cali,

"It's best to just accept help detective. I am on your side after all."

He turned and ran further, turning the corner and slipping into the bushes, hiding out of sight
 
'Son of a....' she thought as she wheezed. She was going to have broken ribs she was sure. He was helping her? He was a criminal! Why would he be helping her? She had found his card in all sorts of criminal activities. She stood in confusion, as she was forced to reevaluate what she thought she knew. He had been helping her?

"If you are being so helpful and on my side, why not make yourself know instead of skulking in the shadows? " she asked to no one in particular as the adrenaline started to ebb and she found herself hurting. She walked slowly back to the acene to find the lights, flashing and her partner watching the arrest of the Triad members. His raised brow and his holding up Santiago's calling cars. She nodded and waved her hand then shook her head as she was approached by an EMT. "No thanks, I will be alright."
 
She didn't follow, but her words brought a grim smile to his lips, the cuts had gone from stinging to burning. It was not the best feeling in the world, especially with the blood starting to seep through his clothing. He slipped from his hiding place, scanned the area and started walking, he knew that for now Cali would be safe, he needed to get himself fixed up, get into a new disguise and then he could take up his watch again.

It was an hour later when he parked the motorbike next to the food court, he had seen Cali's bike and he was certain that she was at the station, one thing could be said about her, she really loved her work. He knew that she had to have taken a bad knock or two, apart from the cuts he had some bruises as well, it was twelve against two after all. He went into the shop and bought himself a muesli, banana and yoghurt combo, he sat down to eat, his attention mostly on the station, after his impromptu brunch, he went to his usual vantage point, a park bench half a block away.
 
"Rinna, you need to go home. You look like you were tied to a truck and dragged through the mud." her Captain stated as he walked by. She scowled at him. "NO way, Captain. I want to know how those assholes knew I was there. I'm pretty certain Pidge didn't sing, but someone else did. We know that neighborhood is a hotbed for Triad activity, and those bastards were too well prepared!"

She winced as she accidentally banged her side on the corner of the desk. "Motherf..." she said softly, gingerly rubbing at her side.

"I could make it an order," Captain Veron said with a smirk. She scowled again. "Let me at least wait until the results come back from the lab, then I will go home, I swear." He nodded. "See that you do. I can't have my best detective not at her own best." He nodded to her and her partner before he headed back to his office. She gave him a half smile and looked over at her friend. "Best detective?"

"He wants in your pants, and you know it." Bateman said with a chuckle. She shook her head. She knew her Captain had a bit of a crush. Scott Veron and she went back a ways. His uncle had been friends with her Nana, and thus when Veron came to visit his uncle, he found himself at her house while his uncle and her grandmother spoke of whatever adults talked about at the time.

She knew that if she gave him any indication of favoritism or returning his affections it would not only distract him, but lead to him giving her special treatment (more than he already was, so to speak) and both of them facing IA and probably losing their jobs. And Cali's job meant more to her than the Captain's tool.

So she kept him at a cordial and friendly distance, and didn't allow either of them to be caught in a situation where there might be alcohol or other compromising possibilities. It wasn't that he wasn't handsome. He was smokin' hot with dark hair, gray eyes, and a damn fine physique, not to mention a disarming smile and an equally dangerous skill with a gun, but she knew better than to tempt the powers. Besides... there was the elusive man in her dreams, the one that always seemed to be watching...

She shook her head to clear her thoughts and went back to writing her report. She liked to at least attempt to be on top of her paperwork, and this last event had not been one she wanted to waste time in writing.
 
After a short while it became apparant that Cali would be in the station for some time, he smiled, paperwork, the enemy of the active police, blessing to him. Fetching his bike, he drove back to the shop that Cali had visited, he pulled up the black hood of the hoodie and as he entered the shop he slipped the blank faced mask on,

"Hello Pidge."

As he spoke he closed the blinds and turned to face the shop owner, the man looked up and flustered,

"Wh-who are you?"

John drew a card and tossed it onto the counter, the black Joker, Pidge went as white as a sheet,

"Santiago...what do you want with me?"

"What did you tell the detective."

Pidge swallowed,

"Nothing! I just gave her an adress to one of Len Fau's mistresses, I swear that is all."

John picked up the card,stuffed it into his pocket and drew his pistol in the same movement,

"Who called them in?"

Pidge seemed on the verge of tears and close to fainting,

"Yen! He owns the shop next door!"

John thumbed the hammer back,

"I swear! On my mother's grave!"

"When they come here, you tell them I robbed you. If the Police come you tell detective Cali Rinna that I asked you a few questions."
He slipped the pistol back into its holster and paused at the door,

"Remember to empty the cash register, wouldn't want them to think you're lieing to them."

As he stepped outside he slipped off the mask and slipped on his helmet, a few moments later he was driving away.
 
"Rinna, Bateman, looks like there was a robbery at Fisher's."

Cali looked up as the messenger from dispatch dropped off the message on their desks. She glanced over at Danny with a raised brow. It was too soon to be a coincidence. Grabbing her jacket, she made to get up when Danny held out a hand. "Nuh uh. I am not watching you go into that lion's den again."

She opened her mouth to protest when he shook his head. "I'll go with Keller. That way they can't try to get at you again. Besides, don't you need to heal up for tomorrow night? Isn't it undercover night at Cherry Blossom Party?"

Cali scowled and shook her head. They were putting her on perma bedrest til the next evening. They had been planning this STING for months. And since Cali looked like the proverbial honeypot, she was the one going in for the evening. Keller and Trace were going in as servers, and Danny and Forneau were going to be in the van, monitoring them.

"Go home, get some sleep and report to the salon in the morning. You know how it goes."

She scowled. She hated the honeypot role, even if she wasn't too bad at it.

She went home, alternated between icing and heating her bruises, and got a quick bite before taking some painkillers and going to sleep, her conversation with Santiago rolling around in her head.

*****

The next day saw her doing her usual run, then an appointment at the salon for hair, makeup, and manicure. After all, she had to look like a gold-digging social climber.

Santiago had been running through her head all day, but she couldn't afford to get distracted. As she left her apartment, her hips swayed in her low-dipping (to her navel), back-baring, high-cut dress of deep green. She wore lace-up sandals, her hair straight and brushed over her shoulder, a golden orchid clip, holding it in place. It also served as her microphone. Long-drop earrings, and a simple bracelet finished her adornment. Her earbud was non-existent in the folds of her hair. She looked around as she stepped into the town car, then headed off to the event.

dress
 
After his work the previous day, it only took the social status of his name to get him onto the list. The fact that his family name came with old money got him into certain events, though it was never asked nor expected for him to actually be in the tabloids...and good luck with them ever getting hold of him or even find him at the family mansion. He looked at his image in the mirror, brushed out a few wrinkles on the sleeve and straightened the bow tie. He turned and found the old butler looking at him,

"I am glad to see you still fit into one."

John smiled slightly,

"I am not getting fat."

The grey haired head nodded,

"True, but you are gaining too much muscle, it is hard to gauge your size when you're never here."

John chuckled,

"I leave my work in the city, you know I hardly ever need to come home."

The old man scoffed,

"Get going, you are not a pretty woman who may be fashionably late."

John chuckled and moved passed the old man,

"Careful Johnathan, I might surprise you one day."

With that he headed downstairs and got into the waiting car, it was a Rolls Royce, black with wooden trimmings, a real antique. He leaned back into the cushions as the driver drove him to his destination
 
Upon arriving she gave her assumed name and invitation to the men at the door, her clutch purse being searched and only found to hold some money, her fake ID, a compact and some lipstick. Tonight she was Sabine Chevere, personal assistant to up-and-coming Dorian Thurum, a man getting some serious acclaim in the international finances game. He had a thing for natural art and horticulture, hence the invite. That he also owed a few favors to the detective made it possible for her to be present, after she agreed to drinks with the man. He was a nice guy, preferred men, but due to business relations he couldn't afford to not have eye candy on his arm from time to time, so she obliged so he could get her into events like these.

'Life is a tradeoff,' she thought to herself with a smirk. She murmured that she was in to her crew and slowly, gracefully moved to the bar for a glass of wine, crossing her legs, sitting straight, and giving a sunny smile to the bartender.

It wasnt long before she felt like she was being watched, but not in the familiar way. Someone was ogling her, maybe a few someones, and she heard the soft purr and exotic accent behind her before too long.

"Such a beautiful woman should not be sitting alone."

She turned, smiling charmingly at the dark-haired man behind her. Kivan Mameri, she recognized. His white teeth flashed in a returned smile, his eyes predatory as his gaze roved up and down her seated form. He reached out a hand, "I'm Kivan, and you are?"

Cali gave him her hand and he brushed her knuckles with his lips, but didn't relinquish his hold. "Sabine Chevere, Mr. Kivan. A pleasure to meet you."

"Please just call me Kivan. Sabine is a beautiful name for such an exquisite flower like yourself." She smiled, ignoring the groans in her earbud and in her head.

"Kivan, then, and thank you." He grinned and gestured to the dance floor. "Would you like to dance, Sabine?"
"I'd love to," she said, sliding off the stool gracefully and moving alongside him to the dance floor where a string and flute quintet were providing ambient music and other couples were dancing.

Her job was to find the gang members that had been invited to this little party, whether mob or Triad, and see if there were any business dealings underway. If one of them got attracted to her, she'd be the one to lure them out to the van under the pretense of a tryst. It didn't mean she couldn't enjoy herself even if it was out of her comfort zone. She was more of a jazz club, or club night with pizza and beers kind of girl. Still it was fun to look pretty and be something other than supercop female once in a while.

Kivan took her in his arms, his hand warm and splayed across her lower back, resting just above her butt, her breasts pressed afainst his chest. He held her left hand, whilw her right was around his shoulders. He brought her close enough to whisper endearments in her ear, his hands moving subtly on her skin as the dance progressed, first up her back slightly, then slowly down to rest just on top of her ass. She mentally threatened to break his fingers if he ventured lower. She could feel the jutting of his arousal against her belly as he tried to pull her closer still, his compliments starting to be punctuated with light brushes of his lips on her shoulder, and before ahe knew it they were nearly at a darkened corner of the dance floor.

She felt her nerves spike. She gave a shaky laugh, and tried to gently pull herself out of his embrace. "I'm sorry, I need to get back to..."

"To whom? You were sitting alone. Don't tell me you weren't hoping for someone to entertain you. And I can certainly do more than that," he said as eyed her again, then brushed his arousal against her lightly. She pushed against him and glared. "I am here on behalf of my boss, and I am certainly not here to be groped and propositioned like some common whore! Now excuse me!"

She wanted to slug him, but she had a cover, so instead she wrenched herself from his grasp and quickly moved in the direction of the ladies room to get some composure, and assuage her colleagues in private.

"I'm fine, he was just being an asshole," she said softly in the direction of her hair clip, looking like she was psyching herself up to anyone who might be looking. She added to the ruse by her hands shaking slightly as she opened her purse. Some women gave her a sympathetic gaze as they headed out of the lavatory and soon enough she was out again, after assuring she was fine and she was still on the lookout. She headed to the bar, seeing Kivan had himself another conquest. Rolling her eyes, she ordered a new glass of wine, staring at it a few moments before she lifted her head to watch the room. This time her back was to the corner.
 
As he stepped through the entrance, he held up three hundred dollar bills,

"How about my name disappear from that guest list?"

No matter the loyalty, an easy few hundred was always welcome, the bills disappeared and he entered just in time to see Cali brush off one of the more...playboy types. He grinned inwardly and took a seat at the bar, ordering a scotch with soda and lime. As he sipped on his drink, Cali appeared, moved over to the bar and took a rather defensive seat. He knew that he was staring, but this time he couldn't help himself, she did not just display all her lovely curves, she actually fitted the image perfectly.

He slipped from his seat and mingled, talking to some people here and there, working the floor until he appeared next to Cali, he could see that the hair clip had fine wiring, that meant electronics, he leaned close to her ear,

"Hello detective."

He watched her reaction and hid his smile behind a sip on his glass,

"Don't worry, your secret's safe with me. As long as you do not call in help."

He looked over his shoulder,

"And if you do not alert your partners."

He finished his drink and moved to the counter, placing his empty glass down,

"Can I buy you a drink? I am sure that you have questions..."

He smiled again,

"But first."

From inside his jacket's sleeve he slipped a small disk and slipped it under her purse,

"Some information on Len Fau, he will be very upset if those warehouses got hit."

He rested on his elbow and looked at her, slightly arching a brow.
 
That voice. She knew that voice. She looked over at the man fron the park, the man under the hood, the man who had been an elusive figment in her dreams for the past few years. "You," she breathed as she took a long, hard look at him.

At his offer, she held up a finger, as if asking him to hold on, and turned to speak softly to her hair clip. "It looks like one of Dorian's intended conquests is present, and since I know you don't want to blow my cover, and you certainly dont want to hear me propositioning a man on behalf of another man, I'm going silent. ... no we can't afford to disappoint Dorian, who helps us get into these parties. I will alert if I see our contacts, don't worry, and do not approach."

Reaching up to press the center button, she effectively shut herself off from her group and gave him a smirk. "They feel emasculated hearing me talk up a gay man. It turns them off every time, so play the part."

She slipped the disc to her clutch and leaned in. "I certainly have questions, and a white wine spritzer, please. Now, who are you really and why do you follow me, oh and do you dance?"
 
Last edited:
He motioned the bartender over and order her drink and another scotch for himself, he looked at her as the bartender filled the order,

"I do dance yes, maybe not as good as I should be able to."

With their drinks served, the bartender moved away,

"I can't tell you who I really am detective, I am not in the habit of getting my family harassed by the police. Even now that you know my face and run me through your databases you will be very hard-pressed to find who I really am."

He shifted his drink idly, looking at the fluid as it sloshed about,

"I follow you for a reason. Your cases gets solved, you gain information which would never have been gained through official channels."

He took a drink from his glass and looked back at her,

"I became Santiago for a reason, you will need to know my family to know why."

He shook his head,

"I have been registered from birth under an alias, my family trusts nobody and the true name stays hidden from official channels. It is used at times to get me into places like these. I know that I sound like some criminal hiding away behind names and red tape, but like I told you in the alley, we are on the same side. My methods just aren't the same as yours and at times I am forced to take drastic actions and sometimes not as drastic. Like the two mobsters who wanted to gun you down in the park."

He finished his drink and pushed away from the counter,

"May I have the honor for this dance? I will try not to dance too close, I am gay after all and have to keep up that pretense for your colleagues working the crowd."
 
She listened, taking a long drink from her spritzer, studying him. "But why me? I am nothing special. Not that I don't appreciate what you do, but frankly you have been my biggest and most elusive mystery thus far. I guess, I want to know the price I have to pay for such protection. "

'and you are the man who haunts my dreams and waking hours,' she thought but didn't say. At his proffered hand she grinned. "No you are supposed to be a gay man playing a straight man being propositioned for another gay man playing a straight man, so hold me as close as you like. " she winked. "Besides, if you have been watching me for as long as I expect, and at the right our mutual acquaintance has been going, namely you disappearing and not talking to me again, you might not get a chance like this again." She grinned, putting her arm around his shoulder as they headed to the dance floor.

"Besides, Kivan is watching, and I'd like to make sure he knows how a real man treats a lady." she winked with a smile.
 
Last edited:
He chuckled,

"Kivan, yes I saw you handle him, he is not very subtle is he?"

He slipped his hand to her back, his fingers resting on the exposed skin of her back, his other hand held her hand as he started to dance with her. He spoke softly, careful not to be overheard,

"I place no price on what I do detective, I have been doing it since you started working and I have never exacted a price at all."

He looked over her shoulder as they danced,

"I think at this moment your ardent admirers are wondering just what I habe what they don't."

He chuckled,

"So detective, now that you've seen me, will I have to get my face reconstructed? I know how much you loathe Santiago for his evil vigilante ways. Killing the murderers and placing the criminals in the law's way."

He grew serious,

"You asked why I chose you. Because I have had my eye on you, I knew that you could be trusted to doe the right thing, that you could not be bought and that you have a heart, something most people lack these days."

The music ended and he stopped moving, not letting her go just yet, looking down into her eyes, then the first chords of a Tango started he grinned at her,

"So shall we give your ardent admirers something to see or would you rather retire?"
 
She grinned. "What you have that they don't? Let's face it, you're the biggest, baddest wolf in the room. You are the alpha compared to them." She grinned. His hand on her back felt warm, reassuring, safe and yet not at the same time. He was a man of mystery this Santiago, but he didn't intend her harm, which made him all the more alluring to her.

"No you don't have to restructure your face, and I don't hate you. I hate people that feel they have to live outside the law to get what they want. What you are doing is not selfish, it's ... Noble. And believe me, I appreciate the help, just try not to kill so many of my criminals, hmm? I can only cover up so many murders." Had she really just said that with such a blasé attitude? She blinked at herself, then looked up at him.

As the music ended, she felt the disappointment. If they stopped dancing would he disappear again? When the tango started she grinned, her gaze mischievous. "Let's show them what real dancing is!" Somehow she wasn't surprised he knew she knew how to dance the tango. Her grandmother had a passion for ballroom dances, especially those of Spanish and Italian influence, so she knew the flamenco, the tango, including the Argentine tango, tap, the waltz, and the bolero.

Besides, it wasn't as if she wasn't feeling the dance's primary feelings right now. She gave him a smile, " you know rather than being a gay man, you can always pose as the bisexual. That way if the dance has it's intended effect, you won't blow my cover." She winked.
 
He gave her a self-assured smile,

"I'm sure that I can handle being the gay guy, but THAT will cost you."

With that he started the dance, since most of the people had left the floor, it left them basically just with two other pairs. It soon became evident that they were the only two who actually knew how to do the dance and soon they were the center of attention. During one of the close moments (which there were enough of) he whispered in her ear,

"Careful detective, any more seductive and you might have to arrest yourself for public indecency."

He grinned at her, sliding a hand seductively down her side, drawing slowly away from her as part of the dance. He had studied with her, but he was the guy in the back, always ducked away and had to cover himself with blunders, but tonight that was not needed, he was in his element and wasn't letting anything hold him back...yet.
 
She grinned, her eyes sparkling with the challenge. "Are you telling me I can't get a rise out of you? Very well, I accept your challenge. " her body moved sinuously to the music. As far as she was concerned, they were the only two that mattered. Her leg perched on his hip and she grinned up at him. "Small price to pay. I've been wanting to do this for a very long time. " Her body moved against his to the music.
 
Back
Top