The AH Coffee Shop and Reading Room 02: A Comma (is a Restful Pause)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday afternoon, my rain gauge recorded twice the average monthly rain total for the whole month of August here and I've had at least twice as much as that since. I have no idea as the rain gauge has ran over three different times.
I'm surprised prescient marketers haven't pushed 36-inch Hurricane Rain Gages. Seems like a natural product for the Gulf and Atlantic coasts.

I can't fathom this much water. Is there even that much water in all of southern California?
Quiet a bit is piped in from the Colorado River, Owens Valley, and California Aqueducts. But eventually might be necessary to float-in icebergs.

Quiet a bit is piped in from the Colorado River, Owens Valley, and California Aqueducts. But eventually might be necessary to float-in icebergs.

That will probably happen for San Diego before it happens for LA.

And then the climate will warm and there won't be any icebergs.

Evening folks,

Still raining here. Heavy one minute, light the next. That 36" rain gauge would be handy to have. There has been water in my shop. Not much, just enough to make sawdust mud. :eek: There is a drain under the sidewalk and it was plugged up with leaves and trash. Opened that up and solved the problem.

It is still raining in Houston over the same track as yesterday, last night, and today. It is not as hard but it is still enough to keep water levels up. Now to add to the problems, the inner city catch basins are getting full and some are having to make controlled releases. Also all the local rivers are on the rise and most are predicted to be several feet above historical levels by Tuesday afternoon.

Several levees along some of the creeks are in danger of topping out. Mandatory evacuations of a number of subdivisions has been ordered but most have no way out because of flooded streets. They are talking 6-8 feet of water possible in places that have never flooded.

When it rains, it pours.

Like Og I can't get my head around 20+ inches of water in a day. I have seen 4 inches in an hour but this is 5 times over in one day!

I travel to Houston a bit on business and wondered whether its very rapid development is a problem; a lot of concrete and roadways have replaced soak away ground in the last 20 + years,

The low level of fatalities so far is amazingly good.

Once or twice, we've had, say, 2 inches in much less than an hour; but then, praise the Lord, it stopped.

We got sunshine this morning. It's great !

Ah - Coffee

Last edited:
Morning all,

Still raining but that doesn't stop the coffee. At least the temps are staying in the low to mid 70's instead of the mid 90's. Most of the heavy rain has moved to the east, which is good for Houston.

A lot of the freeways and feeder roads look like lakes this morning. Too much water and no place to go.

Bacon gravy and biscuits sounds good this morning.

I had a breakfast burrito (scrambled eggs, cheddar cheese, ham and hot sauce rolled up in a tortilla). Yanno, a bear could work his way through a half dozen of those in a morning if he weren't careful.

I had a breakfast burrito (scrambled eggs, cheddar cheese, ham and hot sauce rolled up in a tortilla). Yanno, a bear could work his way through a half dozen of those in a morning if he weren't careful.

It does sound divine. I'm on what constitutes, for me, the straight and narrow - three eggs over easy, a stalk of celery, a tablespoon shot of extra virgin olive oil, a half cup of OJ and a cup of coffee with cream.

Watching things in Houston. My bro is in the fourth ward. Last I heard, doing okay.

There was a guy on our radio this morning who didn't rate visits by the 'only of high' and so on as they didn't do anything practical to alleviate the problems. He reckoned this was a one in a thousand years event.

Fingers crossed for the affected

When the Mall is flooded but you still need your coffee.....

N4BgavB.jpg

Chloe, the only thing wrong with that picture is getting there. 85-90% of the roads and highways are closed in Houston.

It is still raining here at my house. :rolleyes: But there is coffee and my house guest made blackberry pastries.

Yesterday they were showing 32-40 inches of water across Houston. Now they are forecasting another 12 inches today. It is a mess and not going to get any better for another couple of days. Shelters set up for 5k people already have twice that many people in them.

Fun, fun, fun.

Chloe, the only thing wrong with that picture is getting there. 85-90% of the roads and highways are closed in Houston.

It is still raining here at my house. :rolleyes: But there is coffee and my house guest made blackberry pastries.

Yesterday they were showing 32-40 inches of water across Houston. Now they are forecasting another 12 inches today. It is a mess and not going to get any better for another couple of days. Shelters set up for 5k people already have twice that many people in them.

Fun, fun, fun.

There was a wonderful picture in my paper this morning of a load of boats (small craft, inflatables, etc.) heading down the Interstate highway. That was what I'd call "surreal".

Fingers cross for the affected.

And now - Coffee.

There was a wonderful picture in my paper this morning of a load of boats (small craft, inflatables, etc.) heading down the Interstate highway. That was what I'd call "surreal".

Fingers cross for the affected.

And now - Coffee.

Definitely. I've got a couple of friends down there, they'd not flooded but the roof sprang a leak and all the neighbors were right there helping them get sheeting over the roof and sorting it out. Horrible disaster but so good to see everyone pulling together and helping each other. That's the way we should be.

I remember the Northridge quake down in SoCal. We'd been told that in disaster the Authorities would rush to our aid. But when it hit, by the time the Authorities arrived, the community had things about 3/4 sorted out. The only thing left for the National Guard, et al. to do was go down deep into fallen buildings for the trapped. Most everyone else had already been pulled out. Maybe what the country really needs is a big natural disaster in Washington, DC . . .

Three Trillion Gallons of water has fallen on Houston since this started. :eek: And it ain't over yet.

Still retrieving people out of flooded neighborhoods all over the city and the focus in moving to northern towns and where the holding lakes in the western part of town are releasing water. Now water is coming over the spillways. Every river, creek, and bayou is out of its banks and most if not all are over record levels.

The Brazos River is set to crest tomorrow but is already over levees in a number of areas. 130,000 people were order for a mandatory evacuation but had no way out of town or even out of the area.

Of the 16 boats we sent down, 14 are still in service. One motor was burnt out in water that was too shallow but flowing way too fast to shut the motor down. Another hit something and cracked the lower end and bent a stainless steel prop. We sent an extra dozen props with them. Half of those have been used. Roads between here and there are flooded so we can't resupply them.

More coffee is available.

Record heat wave here in central California. Couple that with the occasional thunderstorm over our still-droughty forests, and we're in red-flag fire alert. Air is hot and smoky -- had to close up at 0830 with the temp at 85f and the atmosphere visibly brown -- I think from fires down around Yosemite, 60-odd miles south. Without AC we'd smother.

Not long ago were desert-like temps around Portland OR. We sat out a Palm Springs summer there a couple years back. Just recently were typhoons whacking Taiwan and the usual kilodeaths in Bangladesh flooding. Our planet does not like us.

Maybe I'm just bummed. Vision deteriorating again, more eye surgery very soon. I'm down to about 1/2 eye now and communicating here is difficult. I may be brief for the next few days. And I really don't want to be alert while everything is fuzzy. Skip the coffee. Whiskey in my cocoa, that's the trick.

OMFG! How much of USA coffee supply is normally shipped in via Houston? Besides fuel supplies interrupted, could we see coffee shortages? Will civilization collapse?

I remember the Northridge quake down in SoCal. We'd been told that in disaster the Authorities would rush to our aid. But when it hit, by the time the Authorities arrived, the community had things about 3/4 sorted out. The only thing left for the National Guard, et al. to do was go down deep into fallen buildings for the trapped. Most everyone else had already been pulled out. Maybe what the country really needs is a big natural disaster in Washington, DC . . .

One quoted commentator on our domestic Radio said almost the same thing; "the authorities" apparently took their time in coming to help, and he sincerely hoped that this was not going to be another "authoritarian" cock-up.
Once upon a time it was 'the nearest military base' that helped our. Reductions in staffing and so on seems to have made that impossible these days. . .

Imagine the fun if this problem was in Washington - right in the political heartland.

Three Trillion Gallons of water has fallen on Houston since this started. :eek: And it ain't over yet.

Still retrieving people out of flooded neighborhoods all over the city and the focus in moving to northern towns and where the holding lakes in the western part of town are releasing water. Now water is coming over the spillways. Every river, creek, and bayou is out of its banks and most if not all are over record levels.
Of the 16 boats we sent down, 14 are still in service. One motor was burnt out in water that was too shallow but flowing way too fast to shut the motor down. Another hit something and cracked the lower end and bent a stainless steel prop. We sent an extra dozen props with them. Half of those have been used. Roads between here and there are flooded so we can't resupply them.

More coffee is available.

Personally, I find it difficult to imagine a trillion of anything but your quoted figure could probably fill Lake Coniston in one afternoon (if I can convert the gibberish on Wiki).

Record heat wave here in central California. Couple that with the occasional thunderstorm over our still-droughty forests, and we're in red-flag fire alert. Air is hot and smoky -- had to close up at 0830 with the temp at 85f and the atmosphere visibly brown -- I think from fires down around Yosemite, 60-odd miles south. Without AC we'd smother.

Not long ago were desert-like temps around Portland OR. We sat out a Palm Springs summer there a couple years back. Just recently were typhoons whacking Taiwan and the usual kilodeaths in Bangladesh flooding. Our planet does not like us.

Maybe I'm just bummed. Vision deteriorating again, more eye surgery very soon. I'm down to about 1/2 eye now and communicating here is difficult. I may be brief for the next few days. And I really don't want to be alert while everything is fuzzy. Skip the coffee. Whiskey in my cocoa, that's the trick.

OMFG! How much of USA coffee supply is normally shipped in via Houston? Besides fuel supplies interrupted, could we see coffee shortages? Will civilization collapse?

I though coffee came via Seatle or similar.
Have you considered a "Text - to - speech" thing on your computer.
I do know there is a "reverse process" thing.

And is there still a climate-denier in the house ?

I've been assured that coffee does have precedence over gasoline. :D

Webster, Tx, was just posted AT 1pm with 48 inches of rain since Friday night. Dayton, Tx, shouldn't be far behind as they had 40 inches yesterday afternoon. The rest of Houston only has 32-35 inches of rain.

Last edited:
The total at 4PM is estimated at 9 Trillion Gallons of water. For perspective, that amount of water would completely fill the Great Salt Lake twice or if it was spread out over the lower 48 states, it would be .17 inches deep.

More water rescues are being made by private citizens than all the agencies put together. One estimate I saw said there were over 1000 private boats conduction rescues. There are around 150 fire and rescue boats doing the same thing. The reserve trucks are being used mostly for hauling the people away to shelters through the flooded streets.

The water on the west side of town has gone down enough for there to be a route from Houston to Austin/San Antonio. It is not a straight route by any means. There is still no way to get into Houston from the north or the East.

The storm is picking up strength again but it is also moving on to the east and north. The rain has stopped on the west side and has slacked off over Houston proper but now the east side is taking a pounding.

Another thing is the strong north wind which is piling up water from the bay on Galveston island and towns along the eastern shore of the bay. Parts of Galveston is under 2-5 feet of wind driven water. 53 mph winds with higher gusts.

Yeah, this is going to be a mess for a long time.

There are a LOT of people involved in helping, some local some not. Lots more on the way. I would think that the enormity of the situation would make all help seem like a drop in the bucket of what is needed. This is going to be a very long, slow process of cleaning up. It would sure help if it would stop raining.

http://www.npr.org/2017/08/28/54675...-leads-to-surge-in-federal-assistance-efforts

A while ago, I read that 'help' is still needed in Louisiana following the 2016 flood.
It's to be hoped that Texas will not take quite as long (I can almost hear a bureaucratic voice muttering "We got to do this by the book" or similar)
Good Luck, Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back