Songs of Summer

DeepGreenEyes

Whittled
The last salty rush of summer is pulling across my sandsucking feet, back to sea.

But I don't want to let it go. Not yet.

What are some of your favorite summer-summoning songs, old or new?

One of mine.

And thank you, to our friends on the other side of the globe, for tolerating my crass seasonism.

Showing my age by immediately thinking, "Beach Boys," but somewhat redeeming myself - I hope - by choosing this song, from 1988.

Almost everything by Jimmy Buffett or the Zac Brown Band. Also most of Kenny Chesney's later stuff.

There's a reason there's a quote from this song in my siggy. ;)

Almost everything by Jimmy Buffett or the Zac Brown Band. Also most of Kenny Chesney's later stuff.

What she said! As a transplant from the Gulf Coast to the intemperate climes of Nova Scotia, Jimmy conjures up summer in the middle of January for me. I met him in the late '70's at Miami Marine Stadium, been to many of his concerts and hope, nay, pray, he'll perform here in the Maritimes. He sneaks up here to Lawrencetown Beach to surf on occasion, incognito, but the seaplane gives him away. Jimmy, come for a show, enjoy cheap lobster and help us keep Summer all year long....

Showing my age by immediately thinking, "Beach Boys," but somewhat redeeming myself - I hope - by choosing this song, from 1988.

There really is nothing better than driving fast, windows down, humidity high, and the first licks of "I Get Around"...

My newest one is John Mayer ~ Wildfire
A newer one for me is Zac Brown Band ~ Toes
An older one is Shaggy ~ In The Summertime

Stellar. I dare anyone to be pissy while listening to "In the Summertime."

Margaritaville is such a perfect beach song. I read some article awhile back about the way it endures and makes bazillions. But have you ever blown out a flipflop? How does that happen, and does it require a jack? Flares?

Sultry, serene. Wait... 77 MILLION views?? MILLION?? :eek:

Summer in the City (Lovin' Spoonful)

Playin' With the Boys (Kenny Loggins via Top Gun)

Speaking of movies: American Graffitti opening sequence is the very essence of summer.

That makes me wanna watch that movie. What a great film. Look at all the talent in that parking lot. Didn't Harrison Ford get his role because he was, like, George Lucas' gutter guy or something?

Love Summer in the City.

This song always just struck a summer chord for me...
Beck - Girl

It takes pop music to bring rekane outta hiding. ;)

It's infectious. Was I alone in being lyrically schooled? First time I heard it, I thought it was "summer girl," then for months, "sun-eyed girl," and just googled it and found out it's "cyanide girl."

That's delicious.

What she said! As a transplant from the Gulf Coast to the intemperate climes of Nova Scotia, Jimmy conjures up summer in the middle of January for me. I met him in the late '70's at Miami Marine Stadium, been to many of his concerts and hope, nay, pray, he'll perform here in the Maritimes. He sneaks up here to Lawrencetown Beach to surf on occasion, incognito, but the seaplane gives him away. Jimmy, come for a show, enjoy cheap lobster and help us keep Summer all year long....

He posts here occasionally, as Dianthus. If you PM him, he will respond as a really kind, kinky woman, but don't be fooled.

Jimmy Cliff - I Can See Clearly Now.

Heck yes.

Danny - Kesäkatu :)

YouTube failed me miserably and didn't have my favorite summer song, which is not so much about summery themes and a lot more about a sense of freedom. I associate songs with certain moments and the favorite one was one of the songs I listened to in the summer when I was 18 and alone on an InterRail trip for 4 weeks. The world felt so, very open and like everything's possible.

Don Johnson Big Band - Running Man was one of my most favorites a couple of years ago, and every time I hear it now, I think of the one morning in August 2011 when I biked back home from a party at 5.30am. There was mist on the lake and I could ride my bike as fast as I wanted because there were no people walking their dogs or pushing strollers. I listened to Running Man and rode my bike like the wind. (The song kinda starts only at 0.30)

The Tallest Man On Earth is a summer staple for me. (check out the other Tiny Desk Concert videos, too, there's a lot of awesome stuff there)

Michael Teló - Ai Se Eu Te Pego was the last year's summer phenomenon, as a summer song definitely works. Besides Brazilian Portuguese sounds so pretty.

Last edited:
That makes me wanna watch that movie. What a great film. Look at all the talent in that parking lot. Didn't Harrison Ford get his role because he was, like, George Lucas' gutter guy or something?

As I recall the story, Ford had done some carpentry for Lucas and got a chance to read for the part due to that connection.

I know this is blasé, but...

"Summer Breeze"
Seals & Crofts

Oooo...Oh, "Stone Soul Picnic"

Icandigitshecandigitwecandigtheycandigit

Can you dig it, can you dig it baaaybee?

:D

Last edited:
Danny - Kesäkatu :)

YouTube failed me miserably and didn't have my favorite summer song, which is not so much about summery themes and a lot more about a sense of freedom. I associate songs with certain moments and the favorite one was one of the songs I listened to in the summer when I was 18 and alone on an InterRail trip for 4 weeks. The world felt so, very open and like everything's possible.

Don Johnson Big Band - Running Man was one of my most favorites a couple of years ago, and every time I hear it now, I think of the one morning in August 2011 when I biked back home from a party at 5.30am. There was mist on the lake and I could ride my bike as fast as I wanted because there were no people walking their dogs or pushing strollers. I listened to Running Man and rode my bike like the wind. (The song kinda starts only at 0.30)

The Tallest Man On Earth is a summer staple for me. (check out the other Tiny Desk Concert videos, too, there's a lot of awesome stuff there)

Michael Teló - Ai Se Eu Te Pego was the last year's summer phenomenon, as a summer song definitely works. Besides Brazilian Portuguese sounds so pretty.

YouTube wouldn't cooperate in letting me hear several of these, but dig the Tallest Man on Earth. Also, Michael Teló is infectious, as is all the crowd eye candy.

You make an interesting distinction: some songs are summery because of their obvious themes. But others I associate with summer because they were ubiquitous at a particular time in my life: like "Men in Black," which I will always associate with a friend's painful breakup, and helping him move out in the swelter.

As I recall the story, Ford had done some carpentry for Lucas and got a chance to read for the part due to that connection.

Hokey religion and ancient weapons are no match for an oscillating spindle sander at your side, kid.

I want to take you higher.

I know this is blasé, but...

"Summer Breeze"
Seals & Crofts

Oooo...Oh, "Stone Soul Picnic"

Icandigitshecandigitwecandigtheycandigit

Can you dig it, can you dig it baaaybee?

:D

I most certainly can dig it, thank you very much.

Last edited:
Last edited:
This one has been running through my head all day today while at the beach.

Classic. Beach as freedom.

Considering the MWY nod to summery movie music... What about Grease? Like "You're the One that I Want" or maybe the more obvious "Summer Nights"?

Or maybe these need a nod here...
Summertime Summertime ~ The Jamies
Bananarama - Cruel Summer
Alice Cooper-Schools out

I want Travolta to stab Olivia Newton John with a syringe to the heart to save her from her heroin-snorted coma. That'd be summery.

That Bananarama song always gets me: summer as a total drag.

YouTube wouldn't cooperate in letting me hear several of these, but dig the Tallest Man on Earth. Also, Michael Teló is infectious, as is all the crowd eye candy.

YouTube is silly like that sometimes. Oh well, they were really good.

The first one was a local 60's version of Summer In the City with awesome tambourine yelding dancers and a silly video of a "busy summer town". About 10 cars and no leaves on trees. :)

My summer song is Don Henley's" Boys of Summer"
Makes me want to get in a convertable, scream down to Brighton and hang out on the beach, playing music, drinking cold beer and eating chips (that's fries to the USers) it is simple perfection, the tune is so evocative of summers past in my late teens having carefree fun :) good times!

SO many summer songs! Whole albums, really.From my teenage years, Bowie's "Aladdin Sane," and the Faces "Every Picture tells A Story" also the Beach Boys ... well, everything by the Beach Boys. Every. Damn. Thing.

Most recent Summer music would be the Gorillaz especially Plastic Beach...
Flaming Lips album Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, or anything by The Shins. fuck I don't know.

Back