Sign of the Zodiac (A Fruits Basket RP)

Bjerget

I have great ideas!
Joined
Jun 12, 2017
Posts
7,546
Sign of the Zodiac (A Fruits Basket RP) (OPEN)

Hello friends! I'm writing to gauge interest in starting a role play based on the popular Anime and Manga series, Fruits Basket

My goal is to tell an interactive story, based off of the anime/manga. It does not have to be word-for-word true to the original story line, and it does not have to be an in-depth novel either.

Ideally we would progress the story at a rate of minimum three posts per character per week (preferably more, but I understand about real life), and we do not need to have all characters to begin.

The story does not need to focus on the Tohru Honda, either. It can involve her as much or little as desired by the players as it will be a work of fiction.

At this point, all characters are open. I wouldn't mind playing any of them, but have only a slightly stronger preference for being Kyo.

A list of major characters can be found here. Non-canon characters are welcome.

And as this is lit, a fair amount of "sexual tension" would of course be acceptable. Just use your sense about it.
 
Last edited:
That's not a bad idea!
(goes rooting through my collection for the manga / discs)
 
Shigure Sohma, bestselling author, schemer, pervert, lazy man, wise man, jester.
 

Attachments

  • e8007cfea172fb92854a7be2b2e6b6f4.jpg
    e8007cfea172fb92854a7be2b2e6b6f4.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Looks like we have two participants. I will start posting a scenario tomorrow.
 
An establishing vignette

In the great room in a stately home within a compound sits an androgynous man in jade-green kimono. In front of him an odd tiled game board.

He coughs.

Another man enters in a hurry. This one wearing a western suit and looking slightly older, but the resemblance is otherwise striking.

The man in green coughs several more times, and his attendant has him drink from a glass of fizzing water.

Then the attendant kneels down and says something to his lord in a hushed voice.

The lord replies:

"It's been three years."

He bends down over his game board and places three figurines on it. One, a terracotta cat with monstrous features, one a porcelain dog, made with the same level of craftsmanship as the cat, but with significantly more care given to the finishing touches, and finally a plastic figure of a young woman.

He starts to speak again, but has a more severe coughing fit, and the attendant lifts him up into his arms and carries him out of the room.
 
"Oh no, Shigure Sohma isn't home today," said Shigure Sohma in an affected elderly female voice and, for good measure, in the Osaka dialect, before quickly slamming down the receiver.

He was not in the mood to deal with editors. Not today. Not today of all days.

Actually, today wasn't special. He just didn't feel like talking to his editor when he could be watching TV.

Said editor ought to have been pleased, though. He had received great acclaim on his last proper novel, and his smutty stories published under pseudonym were selling like never before.

The dog of the Chinese zodiac went to look for the remote, somewhere under the piles of pizza boxes, when he heard something land on his roof...
 
Last edited:
In a blaze of dust and anger the tall, lanky, orange-haired young man catapulted himself from a nearby tree onto the roof-top of his one-time home. He landed with a thud.

He looked around and hefted the duffel bag on his shoulder. A sigh formed on his lips and he clenched his fist as he surveyed the yard.

"It looks like crap. I bet he never even hired anyone after she left. Stupid Dog.." His voice trailed off at the end.

Toying with the black and white beaded bracelet on his wrist, he continued to sigh and began to climb down from the roof.
 
A window was opened on the second floor, and an almost world-famous author popped out his head and craned his neck to see what was going on.

The source of the noise was clearly the dye-job climbing down his drainpipe—martial artist Kyo Sohma—a close relative whom he hadn't seen for over a year.

Shigure summoned all his eloquence to describe his joy at the reunion.

"Hey, Kyo. Did you bring any food."
 
Last edited:
At hearing the sudden exclamation from Shigure, Kyo screamed out and forgot to hold onto the pipe. He crashed to the ground with another loud thud and quickly sprang to his feet.

"You Idiot! I could have been killed been being distracted like that! Don't you know not to scream at people who are concentrating? And what are you even talking about, food? No I don't have any food!"

He stood on the ground glaring at Shigure, hand curled into a fist, his chest heaving with emotion. "Why don't you just ask... her?" The last word sank out of his mouth with defeat.

It had been almost two years since he last saw her. She, who promised to love him always. She, who he lashed out at. She, who he sent away from the Stately Sohma House, that cold morning. And Kyo, as he remembered bitterly. was still not satisfied that enough distance was between them, exiled himself into the mountains to escape from.

"She's not here anymore.. I had forgotten."
 
A description of Kyo Sohma

latest


He is a tall 19 year old man, with a thin yet muscled physique and messy, bright orange hair that is shoulder length.
 
Kyo seemed unhappy with the surprise as he stood on the ground raising his fists at Shigure.

"You Idiot! I could have been killed been being distracted like that! Don't you know not to scream at people who are concentrating? And what are you even talking about, food? No I don't have any food!"


Shigure quickly shot back, not wanting the conversation to get away from what was important.

"Food. For eating. Like curry or sushi. Anyway, my house has a door on the ground level. There's no need to go crawling on my water spout."

But then Kyo had to go and bring up Ms. Honda.

"She's not here anymore.. I had forgotten."

The boy really looked crestfallen.

Shigure left the window and opened the door a few moments later.

"Come inside, cousin. I don't have a lot of food, but at least you're old enough for sake, right? I still have a room for you, too."
 
"Whatever! I don't even care about her anymore!" Kyo hefted his duffelbag again and strode into the stately home, as if he owned the place. He sighed and climbed the stairs, setting his bag into the floor of his room. Much to his surprise, it had been kept exactly as he left it, only cleaner.

After many moments of quiet contemplation, he made his way downstairs to where Shigure was sitting at his floor desk.

"You mentioned Sake? I guess I could use a drink. It's been a long time and I have a lot to say."
 
Shigure had already retrieved a sake serving bottle and a pair of square, wooden cups, which he proceeded to fill.

"Yuki gave me this set." He handed a cup to his cousin and emptied his own.

Fueled by the alcohol, his mind started scheming. Getting Kyu or Yuki together with Tohru was part of his long-term plan, after all, and playing love doctor would definitely be more interesting than writing chapter XI of Love's Lotus Spurned 3. She was also pretty and generally pleasant to have around.

"So what did you want to tell me?"
 
Last edited:
Meanwhile, in the main villa of the Sohma compound, Akito called one of his retainers in [feel free to consider this a jumping-on point if you'd like to join the game, although we could really use a Yuki or a Tohru at this time].

"Keep a close look at Shigure's house for me. I want to be kept appraised."
 
Hatori Sohma- aged 26–28, is the Dragon of the Chinese zodiac. He is the private doctor to the Sohma family and is responsible for suppressing memories (using a form of hypnosis that is handed down in his line of the family) of those outsiders who discover the Sohma family secret, such as Yuki's childhood playmates. Hatori is depicted as a tall, somber man who is rarely amused by the antics of his best friends, Shigure and Ayame. He is often the only one who can restrain Ayame's worst behavior, and is the only person Shigure trusts enough to talk about his schemes. He takes his duties to the Sohma family and as a doctor seriously, and warns Tohru about the dangers of getting too involved with the family. In an author's note, Natsuki Takaya described him as "the best marriage material of the cast." When his curse activates, Hatori transforms into a 8-centimeter (3.1 in) long seahorse. According to Shigure, this is a sign the zodiac curse has weakened.(copied off of Wikipedia)
 
It's been a quiet day at the office. The boys have been healthy and I haven't needed to fret much over the family's health lately. Still, it feels very quiet since that girl left.....
 
Shigure had already retrieved a sake serving bottle and a pair of square, wooden cups, which he proceeded to fill.

"Yuki gave me this set." He handed a cup to his cousin and emptied his own.

Fueled by the alcohol, his mind started scheming. Getting Kyu or Yuki together with Tohru was part of his long-term plan, after all, and playing love doctor would definitely be more interesting than writing chapter XI of Love's Lotus Spurned 3. She was also pretty and generally pleasant to have around.

"So what did you want to tell me?"

"Well I wanted to say first off, that I'm moving back in. I've finished my training with my Master and I can beat that damned Rat, finally. So I'll just stay here with you until he shows up." Kyo sighed and downed the glass of Sake in one gulp. "I guess I also wanted to say I'm sorry..." His voice trailed off at the end and he cast his glance to the floor. "I never meant to hurt her..."
 
Shigure rubbed his hands under his desk.

"Don't apologize to me, Kyu. You know who you need to apologize to."

He gave the young man a pointed look.

"I mean Tohru, just in case I wasn't clear."

Shigure quickly poured another glass of sake and handed it to Kyu before he could protest.

"And you're welcome to stay here. I figured you'd be back eventually. Yuki's not around, though; he's been gone for a while, but I can make some calls as long as you promise to keep your fighting away from anything breakable."

The noble dog looked up at the ceiling, opened his mouth wide and poured a significant amount of sake from the bottle directly into his gullet.
 
Alectra Sohma looked again at the house and sighed, wondering again if this was the right choice. Alectra knew not many people knew of her existence. That was always how it had been, not in the original story of the zodiac, changing into a snow leopard. So she had been hidden away, kept from all the other family, until now. Alectra wondered why the sudden change in Akito's attitude but did not object, hating to have been cooped up and far away from most other people. Alectra was glad to be free but was here because she needed a place to stay and get on her feet. Alectra finally pushed back her long white hair, wearing a simple black top, the sleeves making it look like a t-shirt but it was silkier and hugged her frame and also wearing black pants, barefoot as always. Then she knocked on the door, before looking to Hatori. Hopefully he had called Shigure like he said he would but then Alectra reminded herself that Hatori was the kind of guy who kept his word and nodded to herself before waiting for someone to open the door.

OOC: Alectra is 5' 7" with a slender frame, agile and quick, but also very gentle. She can fight for herself though and is not skinny and very healthy. She is also a quiet speaker. Also she is 19, sorry for changing my post and everything, still trying to figure everything out. She also wears a black choker necklace but with a sapphire hanging from it.
 

Attachments

  • imageofcharacter.jpg
    imageofcharacter.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
She meets me at my place after my offer to escort her to Shigure's abode. (Sorry, I just changed it)
 
Last edited:
Kyo looked crestfallen as he slumped in his chair. "Don't you think I know that already? Why do you think I even bothered to come back?"

He looked at the beads on his wrist again and suddenly slammed his fist into the table, nearly shattering it. "It's all because of that damned Rat, Yuki! I never would have lashed out at her, if not for him!"

He would have gone on and on about Yuki, if not for the knock at the door. "Now who could that be?" He wondered out loud. "It better be that damned Rat. I got a thing or two to teach him."
 
Alectra Sohma looked again at the house and sighed, wondering again if this was the right choice. Alectra knew not many people knew of her existence. That was always how it had been, not in the original story of the zodiac, changing into a snow leopard. So she had been hidden away, kept from all the other family, until now. Alectra wondered why the sudden change in Akito's attitude but did not object, hating to have been cooped up and far away from most other people. Alectra was glad to be free but was here because she needed a place to stay and get on her feet. Alectra finally pushed back her long white hair, wearing a simple black top, the sleeves making it look like a t-shirt but it was silkier and hugged her frame and also wearing black pants, barefoot as always. Then she knocked on the door, hoping Hatori really had called Shigure, to tell him of her coming. Alectra would hate to have come, only to have a surprised Shigure open the door to find someone who was coming to live there, and not having known.

OOC: Alectra is 5' 7" with a slender frame, agile and quick, but also very gentle. She can fight for herself though and is not skinny and very healthy. She is also a quiet speaker. Also she is 19, sorry for changing my post and everything, still trying to figure everything out. She also wears a black choker necklace but with a sapphire hanging from it.

OOC: Welcome to the game! I like your character choice :D


He opened the door. "Good evening," he said as the vision of beauty before him revealed herself. He was expecting her, a relative not many knew of. As he invited her in, he was mesmerized by her eyes, her figure and her bare feet. He watched as she brought in her bag and set it next to the front door. He then remembered his manners and he went to go fetch the teapot to make some tea for he knew she walked a long distance.

OOC: I think she was knocking on Shigure's door. Unless she stopped to meet you first?
 
(for now I'll assume that Azul's post represents an earlier meeting between Alectra and Hatori)

Shigure stood up, but headed toward the back of the house instead of the front door. A smile hidden on his lips as his back was turned to his houseguest.

"Why don't you go see who it is, Kyu? I just remembered I need to call my publisher"

The dog quickly ran to his kitchen where he picked up a receiver hanging on the wall and dialed Hatori.

"Hatori, old chum, this is Shigure. I'm about to have a full house here, so let's talk."

HE paused respectfully to let his cousin catch up.

"I'm about to have the two outcasts meet, and I can't wait to see how that goes. But I need to know how much Akito knows."

He peeked into the other room to see what was going on while improvising the next step in his plan.

"By the way, is Yuki at the compound? I know he hates the place, but I sure can't seem to find him anywhere else. His brother hasn't even seen him."

Shigure found some cornflakes in a cupboard and started munching on them while listening to Hatori's response.
 
I haven't seen him honestly cousin. But I'm actually at the door with Alectra and I'll meet you back there to discuss this.
 
Back
Top