Protection, at a price ... (Closed for DM & DeathsKnight)

DeliciousMaiden

Literotica Guru
Joined
Apr 22, 2002
Posts
15,258
Name: Samantha Buckingham
Age: 19
Hgt: 5'6
Hair: Long blonde
Eyes: Blue
Build: Slim waist, but curvy
Nationality: British

Background:
Rich, pseudo-aristocratic background.
Born into wealth, so money has no real value for her, although her father is a shrewd hardworking businessman whose only fault is that he indulges his only daughter.

Residence:
Father’s work in advertising/PR gave the opportunity to relocate for an undetermined time, so they have recently moved to the USA, though Samantha has yet to "readjust".

Character:
Samantha lost her mother when she was 7 - tragic car accident and therefore has been indulged and cosseted.
She is merely used to getting what she wants and although always "popular", genuine friends are difficult to find.

Job:
What’s that?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

Samantha

”Yeah... sure.. well.. I know.. but... ok... yes... sounds great ... but ... “

Samantha took a steadying breath. This was the most difficult part of what she had had to endure over the past months; the fact that she could not tell her friends or anyone just why she had effectively dropped out of the social scene.

”Look ... let me check my schedule and I’ll be in touch ... “

She slammed the phone making query and challenge impossible.
Turning to the window her eyes scanned the garden. Though the security team were not visible, she knew where they were. The house was a fortress, but felt more like a prison.
She glanced across at the diary that lay on the nearby table.
... schedule ... that was a laugh!
The empty pages bore witness that her life had been on hold for over a month now and was likely to be for the forseeable future!

With an exclamation of frustration, Samantha turned, threw her arm out, clearing the contents of the table in one angry swipe. Beside the soundless flutter of her diary a trinket box box clattered spilling forth its contents even as the cut glass vase shattered with an ear-splitting crash.

The door was flung so far open that it almost jumped off its hinges. One man burst into the room and in one swift movement had her pressed against the wall, his body shielding hers as two further men dived into the room and took up positions around her furniture, weapons poised.

”For, God’s sake!”

Guilt at causing the false alarm gave way to anger.

”Jay!”

With surprising strength, she hauled the first man, Jason away from her and crossed over to the jumble of tumbled objects on the floor.

”Can’t I even be clumsy without causing a red alert!?”

She knelt to cover her lie, her fingers brushing the chains and brooches clear of glass shards as she gathered them up carefully. Behind her the two men were being dismissed, yet as she expected, Jason stayed and tried to reason with her.

”Sam ... “

She found it difficult to ignore his plea and the easy camaraderie that had grown between them, but she was not in the mood to be placated, not even by him!

”What!?!”

She snapped as she looked up meeting his eyes defiantly.
Instead of responding in kind, Jason sighed heavily, a tried and tested method for dealing with Samantha’s flares of temper. Yet on this occasion, it merely acted to spur her on.

”You think this is a life? How long do you think this can go on for?”

Careless now of the glass beside her, she winced as a shard embedded itself in her forefinger.
Jason watched her with concern and attempted to reassure her:

”Things’ll get better ... soon ... “

She laughed and shook her head.

”.. WHEN?”

She demanded heating to her topic.

”Just WHEN can I actually go outside, socialise, hell even going for a coffee and shopping would be something right now ....
All .. this ... it’s ... it's driving me crazy! “


She was too worked up to notice his discomfort until he replied.

”As soon as your Daddy sets up protection for you ... then ... “

Samantha shook her head. THAT again. The same old excuse.
She stood and crossed to the bathroom going to the sink to run the cold water over the finger cut, calling back into the room as she did so.

”Why can’t you tag around with me until Daddy settles down enough to give Derrick his old job back.
After all he stood up to those crazies ... they tried, they lost ... it’s over.
No one seriously thinks they’re still out there after they loused up last time ... that type ... all cowards ... “


In the room beyond Jason winced at her words. She had no idea of the reality of the situation and according to her father’s orders the last thing he wanted was for Samantha to know the truth!

”You father wants to hire ... “

Jason halted as she re-entered the room and now gave him her full attention, making Jason pick his words carefully.

” ... he wants to hire ... a specialist ... someone with more ... experience ... “

She rolled her eyes at his explanation and sucked the cut as she speculated.

” ... that’s all I need ... some sergeant major type ...
God.... I bet ... oh my God ... I bet he’ll be a retired army Colonel ...!?!
... or some weaponry geek ...
I can just imagine the type daddy has in mind ... “


She chuckled as she let herself fall onto the sofa considering that things might not be as bad as she thought ...

Surely she could manage to give a guy like that the slip easily enough ... and she was sure she could wind Jason around her little finger and persuade him to meet up and protect her instead.

Having Jason around would definitely be more fun than the type of guy her father had in mind... somehow she would get her own way!
 
Last edited:
Benjamin Krauze

Name: Benjamin Krauze
Age: 26
Hgt: 6'9"
Hair: Short white blond
Eyes: Ice Blue
Build: Muscled but still agile
Nationality: German

Born in Germany, but raised in America when his parents moved, Benjamin grew up with a wish to join the army special forces. As soon as he finished school he enrolled into the army, he got selected as a sniper and after a few years of service and still no sign of any interest in his abilities by the special forces brass, he left and started to work for a friend as a bodyguard. Realizing the potential for this type of business and utilizing his skills, Benjamin quickly became in high demand as he never lost or got a client in physical danger.

He didn't expect the call on his personal phone, but when he was told about the situation and just how badly his services was needed, he agreed. A day later he got placed in contact with the client, a Mr Buckingham, a few questions was answered and it seemed to satisfy the client, a few hours later he was on a plane and met up with the team which secured the client's daughter. After looking through their files and interviewing all of the guards and of course personnel, he was satisfied that when his duty started he knew that he could trust that the house was secure.

It was just after the small incident that he had made his way to her room and he stood in the doorway unobserved for now

” ... he wants to hire ... a specialist ... someone with more ... experience ... “

The hesitation in Jason's voice made it clear that he too was following orders, Benjamin took the time to observe them together, clearly he could not allow Jason to look after her, he was way too lenient

” ... that’s all I need ... some sergeant major type ...
God.... I bet ... oh my God ... I bet he’ll be a retired army Colonel ...!?!
... or some weaponry geek ...
I can just imagine the type daddy has in mind ... “


He raised an eyebrow at her words, sure he might be tough at times, but he was not that bad...or at least he didn't think he was. He knocked on the door and entered the room, surveying the damage she had wrought to her own room.

"Good day miss Buckingham...Jason"

His gaze held Samantha's for a few moments

"I'm here to fulfill Derick's role"

A wicked grin crossed his face

"I'm not a retired Colonel and I use weapons, but I'm not a geek"

He looked at Jason

"Get somebody to clean up this glass, we don't want miss Buckingham to get cut up even more"

Jason seemed to be on the point to argue, then he just nodded and left, Benjamin moving slightly aside for him to pass and then he walked over to the windows to knock on the glass, bulletproof and thick enough to stop a huge caliber shot from short range. Good.
 
Samantha

Samantha’s grin spread as she indulged herself in thoughts of how she and Jason would run rings around this alleged expert.
Finally she would begin to win back part of her life and if things went to plan ...

It was his voice, rather than the knock on her door that broke into her reverie.

“Good day miss Buckingham...Jason”

Seated as she was, Samantha was already at a disadvantage, but it was all she could do to stop her mouth from dropping open as her eyes ran up and up until she found herself frozen in his ice blue gaze.

“I’m here to fulfill Derick’s role.”

Shock deepened as her plans of escape, of liberation shattered.

“I’m not a retired Colonel and I use weapons, but I’m not a geek”

He had heard her! But far from being offended .. he was ... amused!
It was that grin that filled her with uncharacteristic mortification. Feeling an uncontrollable heat seeping into her cheeks, Samantha rapidly averted her eyes, sure she could still feel his intense gaze on her.

“Get somebody to clean up this glass, we don’t want miss Buckingham to get cut up even more”

Her eyes flew upwards. She tried to assess his tone. Was he mocking her?
He had only spoken three sentences and already she felt as if the rug had been pulled out from beneath her!
She threw a pleading look in Jason’s direction, but he avoided eye contact, choosing instead to exit obediently.

Words of protest fought for expression, yet she found herself silently watching him as he checked out the window. His confidence was bordering on arrogance and she knew that she had to try to change the dynamics; let him know who was employing who here!

”And your name is ... ?”

She was standing now, but it gave her no advantage as he turned at the sound of her voice, his stature making her feel dwarfed.

”Personally I don’t see why Jason couldn’t have stood in until Derrick returned ... “

She told him, turning away with a mock resigned sigh.

”But ... I suppose as you’re here .... “

She shrugged a deliberate gesture to give the impression that she was doing him a favour.

”At least it means I can start going out now ... “

She turned and bestowed a brilliant smile on him, waiting for a response: No time like the present for trying to gauge just how she was ever going to be able to handle this guy!
 
Last edited:
Benjamin Krauze

"My name is Benjamin Krauze and I will be in control of your personal protection. Jason is too lenient and leniency is what makes a client get killed, kidnapped or hurt and I am not being paid for that to happen"

He looked at her smile and then decided to tell her as it is

"You can not go out quite just yet, first I will have to get to know where you will be going, how long you intend to stay there and of course who will be there, before I can allow you to go anywhere"

He looked at the door as the maid entered and watched as she went to work, he turned his gaze to Jason who was standing in the doorway

"Thank you Jason that will be all, get some rest before your shift starts"

He took a seat on the windowsill and watched as the maid finished with her work and then left. He turned his gaze back towards Samantha

"Are we going to have a problem with my request?"
 
Samantha

“My name is Benjamin Krauze and I will be in control of your personal protection.

If his comment about being “in control” didn’t irk her enough, the following definitely sparked her anger.

”Jason is too lenient and leniency is what makes a client get killed, kidnapped or hurt and I am not being paid for that to happen”

She shook her head incredulously. He called it leniency, to her it was being civil, getting on; but at least he realised he was being paid and as such ...

“You can not go out quite just yet, first I will have to get to know where you will be going, how long you intend to stay there and of course who will be there, before I can allow you to go anywhere”

She checked her instinctive anger as the maid entered.

“Thank you Jason that will be all, get some rest before your shift starts”

Again Jason retreated without any challenge to the new man’s authority!
Samantha’s anger simmered as the maid seemed to take an age to finish and leave.

“Are we going to have a problem with my request?”

She laughed derisively and closed the gap between them, finding their heights more even now he was seated.

”Requests!?!? So far all you’ve done is give out orders!”

She watched for reaction.

”Yes ... you are PAID .... PAID to keep me safe and as such ... “

Rage made her stumble over her words. How dare her order her about!
She decided to change focus.

”And ... as for going out ... “

Struggling for expression she reached for the retrieved diary and threw it at him.

”Look ... just take a look ... look at what my plans are!”

The blank pages rippled as she took a steadying breath.
Her life was hell and contrary to what she had thought was set to get still more restrictive.
And all because someone out there ...

She stilled.
Some of what he said belatedly sank in.
What she had gone through ... the previous month ... she had blocked it out ... but she had never been so scared.
But how long was this going to go on for?

”I .. just want to get out of these 4 walls ... out of the house ... “

Unlike Derrick and then Jason, she did not expect Benjamin Krauze to understand.

”I ... I just ... “

She moved to the window standing beside him staring out for long moments before turning to face him and murmuring.

”... I just want some of my life back ... “

His inscrutable gaze locked with hers.

”If you can help me do that ... then ... “

She sighed.

” ... then ... perhaps we have less of a problem ... “
 
Benjamin Krauz

He calmly grabbed the Diary out of the air and got up from his seat, towering over her again

"No order was given to you as of yet, you will realize that when I DO give you an order you will know it to be an order"

He held up her Diary

"I do get paid, but not by you. Your father is the man in control of me, I have been asked to do a job and that is the job I will be doing, until your father tells me otherwise"

He walked towards the door and opened it, he stood in the doorway and looked back at her

"I can be a very lenient man and give you back what you feel have been taken from you, but if you want to fight me, you will break yourself and still be where you started. I would ask you to please stay in your room until I return, I can promise you that it will not take longer than half an hour and try not to break anything in my absence...I would hate for you to harm a hair on your beautiful self"

The last was meant as a request for her not to do anything foolish, but with the compliment his German accent slipped through. The only place he regularly spoke German was at home, so it was like a second nature to him. He closed the door gently and headed for what would be his room and office.
 
Samantha

She had meant it as a compromise.
She had been honest about her feelings, but as she had suspected he simply did not understand.

“No order was given to you as of yet, you will realize that when I DO give you an order you will know it to be an order”

She turned her head upwards despite herself. He had not raised his voice, but was intimidating nonetheless. So, not only was he insensitive, he was going to bully her, she concluded.

“I do get paid, but not by you. Your father is the man in control of me, I have been asked to do a job and that is the job I will be doing, until your father tells me otherwise”

She turned away from him refusing to watch him as he headed out of her room.

“I can be a very lenient man and give you back what you feel have been taken from you, but if you want to fight me, you will break yourself and still be where you started.”

If she hadn’t known better, he might have been reassuring her, but the threat held in his words confirmed the assessment she had made of him in that brief time. As far as she was concerned she was going to be as “detached” as he himself has shown himself to be.

”I would ask you to please stay in your room until I return, I can promise you that it will not take longer than half an hour and try not to break anything in my absence...
I would hate for you to harm a hair on your beautiful self”


She remained, her back to him as she heard his “request”, refusing to give him any reaction. As soon as the door closed, however, Her instinct was to head out of the room, but Samantha wasn’t stupid and knew that with him she would have to “play the long game”.

For long moments she stood immobile listening to his retreating footsteps.
Part of her wanted to scream. Part of her wanted to cry.
Part of her wanted to flee her room, just to show that she could and part of her wanted just to barricade herself in so that she didn’t have to even look at him again.

Frozen in indecision, thoughts whirling she wanted nothing more than to dash down to her father and complain about her new body guard's attitude, but just from speaking with Jason she knew that this Benjamin Krauze was supposed to be “good”: Afterall, Daddy only hired the best ... and it was clear that it was only her father's orders this arrogant man would follow ...

Her smile curled slowly upwards as a plan formulated ...

She had been left in no doubt as to how irrelevant her feelings were in all this ... and where Krauze's priorities lay ... and so she knew just how to play it ...

Picking up the phone, she buzzed through to her father’s study.

”Daddy! ... Yes .. no... no I’m fine. I just wanted to see you ... yes about Mr Krauze ... no ... no problem .... I just wanted to see you Daddy ... “

Her eyes glinted with mischief as her father invited her down to the study.

”I would ... but ... I promised to stay in my room until ... ok .... yes ... well I know how worried you are about me, so .... ok .... great ... see you in a moment ... “

Putting down the phone, she chuckled to herself. She had appealed to a higher authority!
The knock on the door followed just moments later.

”I’ll be right out ... “

She called brightly, pausing to check her appearance to make sure that none of her anger or frustration showed, she quickly stepped out of her room and smiled at the unknown security officer who awaited her and smiled as she allowed him to escort her down to her father’s study.
Sure, she knew Krauze wouldn’t be happy, but she hadn’t left her room, without permission or alone!
She grinned in satisfaction at her calculated act of defiance.

”Daddy!”

Samantha flew through the door and launched herself on her father with enthusiastic hugs and kisses. Drawing back she was shocked to see the worry etched on his face and almost gave up her plan of action.

She felt almost guilty reassuring her father of how competent she found Benjamin Krauze and how reassured she was that he had gotten someone so accomplished to protect her, but it wasn't as if she was actually lying.

” ... and I can even start going out ... “

She wrapped her arms around her father's neck and kissed his cheek.

”Mr Krauze said that as long as he knows where I’m going, who with and how long for that he can make sure that I’m safe ... “

She moved round to perch on her father’s desk, facing him with a sweet pleading expression.

”I’ll be good ... I know how worried you are ... “

She reached out as her father took her hand, faltering as she noted the depth of emotion on his face.

”I won’t do anything silly ... “

She promised him sincerely ... and found that she actually meant it ...
 
Last edited:
Benjamin Krauze

As he sat down at the desk, the light came on for an internal call, frowning he pushed the button and heard the conversation between father and daughter. He sighed as he followed her way to her father's study through the cameras, this one truly didn't want to work along with him. He watched their meeting and had to admit that she was quite convincing, then he turned his attention to the Diary, scanning through previous dates and checking them up on the Threat Assessment Program, a little thing that his friend came up with, you enter names of people and places into the system and it checks just how safe it is. He started writing down a schedule into the Diary and when he was done, he checked and noticed that she was still talking with her father. He gave a grunt of dissatisfaction, but decided to stay within his protocol. As he entered her room again his comm link made a beeping sound, indicating a call from a telephone

"Krauze"

"Ben, it's Bryan here"

"Yes Mr Buckingham?"

"My daughter informs me that you stated she may go out?"

"Not so soon, but depending on her co-operation it may happen in a day or weeks"

"Her co-operation?"

"Yes sir, she is rather frustrated and in my opinion head strong, but that is understandable if you look at her situation. From experience I know it is not fun to be cooped up in a house"

"Ah I see, I'll have a talk with her"

"Thank you sir"

The phone got placed down and Benjamin placed the Diary open on the spot where she picked it up from, so that she could see what he wrote. He walked over to the window and stood there, looking out at the grounds, making sure that the guards did not give away their positions too easily. He sighed and looked down at the base of the window, he stayed like that, lost in thought, as he awaited her arrival.
 
Samantha

”I won’t do anything silly ... “

The promise was made and she fully intended to keep it.
Her father nodded seemingly reassured, but then picked up the phone.

”I’ll just check in with Ben ... I don’t want any risks to be taken ... not after .. “

She flinched and tried to place which “Ben” her father was referring to, realising all too late just WHO he meant.

"Ben, it's Bryan here"

She frowned, resentful of their easy familiarity.

"My daughter informs me that you stated she may go out?"

Samantha bit her lip.
He had said that, but ... he had also made it clear he wanted her to stay in her room.

"Her co-operation?"

She perched on her father’s desk once more, trying not to look too concerned about the conversation.

"Ah I see, I'll have a talk with her"

She watched him put the phone down and made no comment.
Her father looked at her fondly and shook his head, a smile spreading.

” ... so .... ?
And ... what talk are you supposed to be having with me ... “


She bristled as her father chuckled.

”Well, I’m glad you and Ben are getting along Sammie ... “

He teased, having quickly picked up the clues despite the controlled courtesy of Benjamin’s words.

”... you certainly seem to have made .. an impression ... on him.”

Even though she was dying to know what had been said on the other end of that conversation, Samantha remained non-commital.

” ... I don’t know what you mean, Daddy... “

She responded sweetly, the ghost of a smile offering acknowledgement that her father was no fool and that they both knew that the meeting of the two had not been as rosy as Samantha had wanted to paint it.

”Just try to work with him, ok?

The tone was unfamiliar and she attempted to shrug it off.

”Sure .. if he tries to work with me .. “

She retorted lightly.

”Samantha .. “

The use of her full name brought her up short.

”Ben is good ... the best ... he knows what he’s doing.”

She watched her father’s face as he seemed to struggle for words; being careful about what he told her, but to Samantha it was more what he did not say that rang the alarm bells. She wanted to question him but only if he could reassure her that this was all some crazy prank gone wrong. Yet she held back, fearing that if she did start to probe into why their security had been increased rather than scaled down, then she might just have to deal with difficult truths.

”If you do as he says, then I’ll know you’ll be safe ... “

Wordlessly Samantha nodded assent, her mind vying away from the fact that the risk must be far greater than her father had ever really indicated and focusing on the fact that her father had so much faith in this Benjamin Krauze.

”I promise Daddy ... “

She replied simply, putting her arms around him to hug him reassuringly to her, then a kiss before she drew away.

”Den will walk you back to your room Sam,”

Her fathers response was abrupt, but she understood that he was merely brushing aside what he would consider "useless emotion".
I’ll leave it to you and Ben to sort schedules out ...

Biting back a sigh at the thought of facing that man again, Samantha allowed herself to be taken back to her room.

Closing the door as she entered she turned and jumped at the unexpected sight of Benjamin Krauze stood at her window. Irrational guilt flowed through her, but she suppressed it; after all she had been escorted to and from her room which was in the spirit of his instructions, if not quite following his request.

”Did I keep you waiting?”

She kept her voice neutral as she spoke to him.

”My father wanted to see me. .. “

She offered by way of explanation and avoiding his intent gaze, moved further into the room. Suddenly the diary drew her attention. She had lost track of what had happened to it after she had thrown it, but saw now that the previously blank pages now held unfamiliar writing. She picked it up and began to read.

”Did ... you write this..?”

She queried ..

”.. but .. why ... what ... ? “
 
Benjamin Krauze

He kept staring at the base of the window, his mind millions of miles and years ago, finally he sighed and turned to her, that shield that guarded his own feelings slamming down over his eyes.

"No you did not keep me waiting"

His gaze told her that he knew she did not obbey his request and tried to go over his head.

"I wrote that, because as I am sure you will remember, I told you that I can be reasonable. I also had my freedom to do as I pleased taken away from me, so in a manner of speaking I know just how you feel, even if you think of me as some cold hearted, irrational control freak"

He gave her a small smile

"You have in front of you choices, for each day, they are as random as possible and the safest I can do, at times I might have to crowd your space, but that will be for your very own protection. Mostly I would let you have your space and interaction with your friends, but the first sign of trouble and I will have you secured and I don't care who or what the threat is, I will neutralize it, even if it is your very best friend"

He sat down on the windowsill, crossing his arms infront of his chest

"That is what I was hired to do, so I am letting you know to what lengths I will go to protect your person and the rest I leave up to you to decide"
 
Samantha

Their eyes locked and she tried to decipher what was going on behind that facade and failed.

"I wrote that, because as I am sure you will remember, I told you that I can be reasonable. I also had my freedom to do as I pleased taken away from me, so in a manner of speaking I know just how you feel, even if you think of me as some cold hearted, irrational control freak"

The smile surprised her; there was some humour in there, but she guessed that he rarely indulged himself in such frivolous pursuits.

"You have in front of you choices, for each day, they are as random as possible and the safest I can do, at times I might have to crowd your space, but that will be for your very own protection.”

She nodded, her eyes scanning the list he had written.

”Mostly I would let you have your space and interaction with your friends, but the first sign of trouble and I will have you secured and I don't care who or what the threat is, I will neutralize it, even if it is your very best friend"

She shuddered at his words. “neutralize” was such a detached phrase.
She couldn’t even begin to imagine what possible threats her friends might pose to her.

"That is what I was hired to do, so I am letting you know to what lengths I will go to protect your person and the rest I leave up to you to decide"

Reading the list of places, she noted that many of them were not her usual haunts, but at least there was variety in his planned schedule. But she was going to get out of the house. She should feel excited, elated, but somehow , the expression on her father’s face had unsettled her and now his words had spooked her.

”These... threats ... “

She began feeling the need to know just what or who was out there, but not knowing how to voice the query.

”Daddy says you’re the best. He always hires the best...”

She smiled fondly speaking of her father, then forced herself to continue.

”But ... this ... this is different ... “

She crossed over to where he stood and glanced out of the window, her eyes roving seeking out the shapes of the guards who now were not merely hidden but invisible.
Everything around her it seemed had been stepped up, especially after the “incident” last month.

”I can’t imagine who would be doing this? Or how my friends might be a threat ...“

She turned to face him.

”I’ve not been out since ... “

She shuddered visibly at the memory and struggled for composure.

”Daddy says that I’ll be safe, as long as I do as you say...”

She told him.

”But can you ... ?”

She desperately sought his face for reassurance.
They both knew that in her heated moods, she would like nothing more than to make a bolt for freedom, but now she had the chance to go out properly protected, she realised that she was scared.

”... can you stop them from ... ?“

Fear prevented her from completing the question.
 
Benjamin Krauze

He could read the fear and he felt the need to reassure her, he gave her a smile

"I am not saying that your friends will be a threat, I am just trying to get the fact through to you that I will do anything"

A lie of course, anybody could be bought and if not, killed and replaced with a double

"I am good at what I do, but only because I had the full co-operation of all the people I worked with. If you can give me that, no matter in what situation, then I can promise you that you will be safe with me"

He looked back at the room, allowing that to sink in for a while, he caught the faint whiff of her scent and he had to admit that he liked it. He stayed in the position he was, he knew his back was safe, but the rest of the room wasn't; even if it was secure. He wondered when her father would decide that she should know the exact extent of the problem, just how close she got to getting killed. But he could see that she was smart enough to figure out that something was up and that the unknown was scaring her more than the bs she was being fed. He smiled ruefully and looked down at the tips of his black boots, maybe it was time for him to try and get into Spec Ops again, at least there he didn't have to deal with feelings, he could just do his job and go home...home...a mother and father, younger sister and brother...he suppressed another sigh and kept staring at his boots
 
Samantha Buckingham

Katie%20Pugh1.jpg
 
Samantha

Again the smile, but this time it seemed to hold some warmth.
Samantha exhaled, not even aware before then that she had been holding her breath.

"I am not saying that your friends will be a threat, I am just trying to get the fact through to you that I will do anything"

She nodded.

” .. ok .. “

She murmured. He had made his point and she found that it actually did reassure her.
Derrick had taken a bullet for her, but would Jason ... ?

She was relieved to have his words break into her sombre reverie.

"I am good at what I do, but only because I had the full co-operation of all the people I worked with.”

This time he did not seem to intend his words as a reprimand and perhaps it was this that made Samantha more aware of how she had resented his employment and gone out of her way to be difficult so far.

”If you can give me that, no matter in what situation, then I can promise you that you will be safe with me"

Samantha nodded silently and had the luxury of observing him whilst he looked away.
His height had been the overwhelming factor about his appearance, but as Samantha examined him more closely, she noted the solid muscular tone of his body. He was well-built, but with his height still managed to appear lithe despite this. His hair was cropped short, more utilitarian than styled she mused remembering her “retired colonel” reference from less than an hour ago. He still had the aura of army about him: from her limited knowledge of the forces, Samantha supposed that his single-mindedness and the obvious dedication to his duty was in keeping with that personality type.
Despite that she really found him impossible to read.
His face was often impassive; his gaze piercing and chilling, yet the few occasions that he had laughed ... he seemed ... transformed. Yet despite this, she doubted that he would ever become a companion as Derrick had been and Jason after him... though ... perhaps... that wasn’t really what she needed right now.


It was she who broke the silence first.

”I’m not used to co-operating ... “

She drew his gaze and grinned in belated apology at her behaviour so far.

”But ... I’ll ... try.”

She knew what she had to do, but that didn’t guarantee that she would always do so.

”Look ... I ... realise ... now ... that this is serious. And ... “

She blushed at the confession.

”I know I need you ... and that I need to ... behave ... “

She grinned and met his gaze openly.

”So ... no more games ... “

She held out a hand in genuine truce.

” ... to co-operation ... ? “
 
Benjamin Krauze

He gave her one of his friendlier smiles, the ones where the smile actually did reach his eyes and he looked at her offered hand, little gremlins dancing in his eyes as he looked back into her eyes

"You forgot to spit in your hand"

He chuckled and stood up, before taking her hand, feeling the coolness and softness of her skin against his. Giving her hand more a reassuring squeeze than a normal handshake he withdrew his hand.

"I am looking forward to co-operate with you, I may not be the best companion out there, but as soon as we get to know each other better, I am sure that we could get along very well"

He gave her a half bemused grin

"Who knows, maybe I can be lenient as well"

He looked out, it was late afternoon, they had some time before dinner, he looked back at her

"I guess we have some time before dinner, is there anything you would like to do...here on the estate?"

He added that last part, before she might think about getting him to take her out to some place in the Diary. First he had to find out just how fast she could move, before he would allow her to go into public. It wasn't that he didn't trust her, he just knew that sometimes, if you looked away for just a split second, somebody could disappear from right next to you.
 
Last edited:
Samantha

Her offer was rewarded by a grin and it transformed him beyond what Samantha had thought possible.

"You forgot to spit in your hand"

She gave an instinctive reaction of distaste drawing a chuckle from him!
Just as his height dwarfed her, so his hand surrounded hers with reassuring strength.
He held, rather than shook her hand somehow breaking down the barriers that had been between them previously.

"I am looking forward to co-operate with you, I may not be the best companion out there, but as soon as we get to know each other better, I am sure that we could get along very well"

She grinned at his words, speculating for the first time just what sort of companion he would make. She suspected that she would be seeing more of him than any of the other guys who had been responsible for her safety, so it was as well that she had made her peace with the situation.

"Who knows, maybe I can be lenient as well"

She burst out laughing at that! He was teasing her, recalling their previous altercation.

”For that I’ll be super-co-operative .. “

She bantered in return finding that she could grow to enjoy his humour and his smile.

"I guess we have some time before dinner, is there anything you would like to do...here on the estate?"

To her, his offer was a definite indication of having faith in her promise. She considered where it was that she would like to go...

”How about the old Boat House, by the lake?”

She suggested.

”I used to sleep out there when I was little. It’s a lovely place to escape to.
And there’s a row boat, canoes, fishing rods ... and ... my paints ... “


Her eyes glowed as she recalled one of her favourite places.

”But ... “

She didn’t want him to say no, but felt compelled to be honest.

”Nothing is bullet proof ... “

She gestured to the windows.

”.. and I guess it’s pretty open around there ... the lake’s pretty small, but there are woodlands around the area, but the land’s all Daddy’s ... “

Her voice tailed off and she waited, not knowing if he would consider this “safe” or not?

bhdr.jpg
 
Benjamin Krauze

He could remember the small lake and boat house from his study of the estate, not a place he would think of as ideal, but it was clear that she loved it there and it was a step in the right direction if he was to gain her trust as well as full co-operation. Turning slightly from her, he keyed his comm unit

"Units Victor Bravo seven, ten and eight secure perimeter Echo, Delta seven I want sector Whiskey Lima swept thoroughly, use the dogs if you must"

After receiving affirmatives to his orders he turned to face her again

"If they have secured it, I am sure we can go down there...I for one would feel much more sure if you would wear the kevlar vest that was made for you...just in case"

He kept his voice neutral, not wanting to alarm her, soon reports started to come in and he listened to them intentedly, letting the guards double check. He gave Samantha a smile.

"I'll wait for you outside the door"

He was no stranger to naked women, but he felt that having a look at Samantha would not be the best thing for him at the moment, she was a very well built and good looking woman. Why he only noticed that now, he would not know, he walked to the door, opened it and stepped outside, leaving it slightly ajar, just for safety. He took up a guarding position in front of the door, the other guards looking curiously at him, before they turned their attention back to their own duties.
 
Samantha

She had half expected a straightforward refusal, but instead he spoke into his Com and a short time later he turned to deliver his verdict.

"If they have secured it, I am sure we can go down there...I for one would feel much more sure if you would wear the kevlar vest that was made for you...just in case"

Samantha was shocked. It was months ago that she had been given the bullet proof garment. She had thought it ridiculous not to mention restrictive and refused to wear it. Derrick had not been a fan of bullet proof clothing, she remembered, but then where was he now?

"I'll wait for you outside the door"

He left abruptly. From just beyond she could hear his radio com alive with messages and heard his quiet controlled voice as he issued orders and acknowledged feedback.
Resentment rose in her, but this time it was not directed at Benjamin Krauze, this time the target of her ire was the unknown person or persons who were making all this necessary. Naively she had thought that he might agree to a stroll down to the lake, but had never expected all this fuss.

Aware suddenly that he was waiting, Samantha knelt at the foot of her bed and opened up the chest. Rummaging deep she pulled out the vest. The sight made her shudder, but she would not waste time on that. She already had on her jeans, so she pulled on a second pair of socks and then sturdy leather ankle boots. She shed the blouse she wore and cast it on her bed reaching for a think white t=shirt instead. Tucking this into the top of her jeans, she then returned to pull on the jacket and secure it as she assumed it should be worn. She took out a jumper and jacket ready to go over the hateful garment and looked at herself uncertainly in the mirror once more. She assumed you couldn’t put it on wrong, but she thought she’d better check.

Walking back to her main room, she called out to him:

”Mr Krauze ... “

Somehow addressing him like that seemed weird and he had dropped the Miss Buckingham.

”Benjamin ... Ben ... could you come check this ... “

After all was secure, she would cover the vest with jumper and jacket and head out, as long as all was secure ...
 
Benjamin Krauze

Her voice held a certain degree of uncertainty and he made his way back into her room. He almost smiled when he saw her, she looked like police rookie trying on her kevlar vest for the first time, but remaining strictly profesional he walked over, her query clearly being about the vest, he adjusted a few straps

"If it's too restricting on your breathing, just slip these two loose"

He indicated the straps to her

"And don't worry, you won't look like a robot trying to walk around, kevlar is quite bendable"

He tapped his knuckles on his own chest

"Never leave home without it"

He looked at the clothing she had selected

"Uhm I don't want to lecture you or anything, because I'm useless when it comes to selecting clothing. But is all of that necesarry? It is still quite warm out"

He could have added that the vest would be hidden by a shirt or blouse as it fitted her curves perfectly, but he didn't want to sound like a pervert, scoping out his boss' daughter. He gave her a pleasant smile, he noticed that his smiles tend to put her at ease and that is the effect he wanted to have going at that moment.

"Tell you what, slip something on, that you would like to wear and I'll tell you if the vest is visible"
 
Samantha

She smiled uncertainly as he entered and turned slightly as he examined the vest and made a few minor adjustments.

"If it's too restricting on your breathing, just slip these two loose"

She nodded as he pointed.

"And don't worry, you won't look like a robot trying to walk around, kevlar is quite bendable"

Her eyes widened as he tapped his own chest. She had assumed the vest would stand out a mile, but she hadn’t even realised that he was wearing one!

"Never leave home without it"

She laughed. Of course he wouldn’t ... in his line of work. A shame Derrick hadn’t felt the same...

"Uhm I don't want to lecture you or anything, because I'm useless when it comes to selecting clothing. But is all of that necesarry? It is still quite warm out"

She looked at the clothes again and considered. She had just wanted to hide the vest away. And then again, how would she know what it was like out? She hadn’t seen the light of day for weeks....

"Tell you what, slip something on, that you would like to wear and I'll tell you if the vest is visible"

She crossed to her closet.

”Well .. ok ... “

She rifled through the selection of casual wear.

”With this I’d usually wear something like this ... “

She pulled out a light shirt of cotton woven fabric. Pulling it on the light blue checks easily covered the vest beneath.

”I just feel like the vest stands out a mile ... is it ok?”

She turned slowly displaying the back, then the front again to him and smiling as he nodded his approval.

”Ok .. so ... “

Out of habit, she kept the shirt open necked and unfastened the last two buttons, tying them in a not so the formerly baggy shirt cinched in at the waist giving a flattering silhouette.

”... we can go..?”

She looked up at him expectantly, awaiting confirmation.

It was a very different girl who made her way down the staircase towards the rear exit of the house until she was stood in the open air once more.

Stopping she took in a deep lung full of air.

”Freedom... “

She murmured, exhaling and laughing at the expression on his face.

”The path runs down the side ... across the paddock and then ... “

She gestured, not realising that of course he would know every detail of the estate minutely.

”What do you think of the place ...?”

She asked conversationally as Benjamin matched his wide strides to her pace.
 
Benjamin Krauze

He was quite bemused by her reaction as she stepped out of the door, but then again she had been cooped up for quite some time. She started to explain which road led to the boat house, he listened to her and grinned when she stopped and started down the path that led to the boat house.

"It's quite spacious, I'm surprised that you don't have horses around, I would definitely have one or two for entertainment and exercise"

His eyes kept wandering around, even if he knew that the area was secure, he didn't let his guard down.

"It's also beautiful, your father does have good taste"

He noticed that the top part of the vest stuck out, but with the white t-shirt under it, it looked like just another garment and he didn't bother with it, it would take a very high powered telescope and weapon to reach this far and they would go for a torso shot, because the head became a tricky object to shoot at, at those distances. He had to say that he loved the change that had come over her after she was allowed to come outside. He was curious why she wasn't allowed out under guard, but it was not his place to ask if it didn't affect his job. As a precaution he zipped open his shirt, just in case he had to get to his weapons in a hurry.

"Just to put your mind at ease, it's no trouble to take a walk, in fact I would encourage it, got to let the guys earn their pay, can't let them sit around and get lazy"

He smirked as some soft replies came back via his comm link, all good natured banter, at least these guys were more human than some of the beasts he had to work with before
 
Samantha

He was quite bemused by her reaction as she stepped out of the door, but then again she had been cooped up for quite some time. She started to explain which road led to the boat house, he listened to her and grinned when she stopped and started down the path that led to the boat house.

"It's quite spacious, I'm surprised that you don't have horses around, I would definitely have one or two for entertainment and exercise"

She turned to look at him briefly. She wondered if he rode or where his interest in horses came from.

"It's also beautiful, your father does have good taste"

She stopped and looked around taking in the scene with new eyes, nodding.

"Just to put your mind at ease, it's no trouble to take a walk, in fact I would encourage it, got to let the guys earn their pay, can't let them sit around and get lazy"

She turned and met his smirk with a grin of her own and continued walking.

”Until last month after ... all this part of the estate ... down the south side and the woodland ... weren’t part of the regular surveillance .. “

She pointed as she talked.

”I guess it seemed easier just to confine me to quarters and secure the house and grounds at the front accessible...”

She turned and pulled a face of distaste.

”Have you seen them..?”

She spoke about the manicured lay out of the approach to the house. To Samantha rows and blocks of flower-beds, hedges trimmed into un-natural shapes and every shrub grown with precision was not an environment she valued.

”Daddy things first impressions count. ‘Order and organisation, the key to a good business!’ “

She mimicked her father and laughed.

”I soon got bored of walks around there ... all you can do is go up and down ... like a route-march! And they wouldn’t even let me in the maze ... “

She gave a mock pout at their unreasonable behaviour and continued on conversationally.

”I would tell you about the time I ran off and hid in there ... but ... you might think that a tad ... unco-operative of me!”

They had come to the clearing. From there the boat house could clearly be seen, fetchingly situated beside the lake; a body of water that looked deceptively small and shallow.

”Race you!”

She shouted, catching him off guard and shot off at speed, heading for the landing stage that jutted out into the water. She did not give her body guard one look until breathless and laughing, she threw herself down somewhat precariously near the end of the wooden slats.
 
Benjamin Krauze

He nodded, he had seen the entrance, open approach and rather hard to hide away in, but of course he had two guards inspecting the route regularly. Even in structure there was chaos. He grinned when he thought about her hiding away in the topiary bush maze and while still thinking about it she raced off. With a practiced eye he followed her, she was fast, he hoped that when commanded to run away, she would do it that fast or even faster. After giving her a proper headstart he raced after her, she reached the landing before him and he watched her with a grin as she plunked herself down. They were still out in the open, but the constant checking in of the guards had him sligtly reassured, he sat on his haunches next to her, placing himself closer to the water...just in case. He looked out over the small lake, this was good land, he could make a living here, he shook the thoughts from his mind and looked down at her.

"You mentioned that you have paints? Is it a hobby or did you actually study the art?"

He always had this image in his mind, a lady dressed in just a t-shirt that is too large for her, standing close to an open window with the early morning sun streaming in as she paints what she wishes to paint...he glanced at her and found that he could actually fit her into that picture...or maybe he just had a good imagination.
 
Samantha

Samantha laughed as Benjamin sat down beside her. Her breath still came rapidly and she silently realised that she was out of shape! Sure she missed the social scene, but she realised that she could be quite contented just roaming around the guards... escorted of course!

“You mentioned that you have paints? Is it a hobby or did you actually study the art?”

She looked across at him and saw his focus was on her. She had totally forgotten the words she’d said earlier ...

”No ... I ... never studied.... “

She shook her head and then smiled.

”Maybe the thing I like about painting is that you can do your own thing ...”

She grinned and told him in mock seriousness.

”You ... won’t believe this, but ... I don’t actually like being told what to do ...”

Laughing she stretched her arms above her head, almost unaware of the vest that fitted so closely to her body, instead she focused on the scenery, her eyes roving along the line far bank remembering those she had captured in her art work.

”Even when I was really little, I always enjoyed drawing ... “

The pleasure on Samantha's face froze.
She flinched as if a physical pain passed through her.
Looking down into the water she continued.

”Then for a while ... I ... didn’t enjoy it as much ... “

She let out a long sigh.

”I guess I only really got back to it when I turned 16.
I started sketching ... then got hooked on charcoals, then dabbled in pastels ...“


She looked at him again as she explained.

”Then I got into paints ... watercolours ... oils ... acrylics ... “

She moved closer to him, dangling her feet over the end of the landing stage.

”This is a great spot to just sit and ... create ....
I used to spend hours here ...
I have a kind of studio set up in the boat house ... and a load of my stuff stored.
I always felt that my “arty stuff" belonged here ... “


She glanced back at the boat house.

"We could take a look if you want..?"

She offered...
 
Benjamin Krauze

He watched her and felt sorry for her as she flinched as if remembering a great pain...or...big loss. If occured to him that she had lost her mother at the age of 7, maybe that was the time that she was referring to. He listened to her, he liked listening to her, out here where she felt "free", she was so much different than the lady he first met, cooped up in her room. He stood up and held his hand out to her

"Let's go have a look, who knows, you might come down here much more than you think in the near future"

He calculated risks and management as she led the way, suddenly he realized that to the onlooker, it would look like he was checking out her ass, he quickly averted his gaze. Not that it wasn't something worth looking at, he just didn't want anybody telling stories about him. He figured that with two extra guard teams he could secure the entire estate, something he would like to bring under Mr Buckinham's attention. It may just keep Samantha happy and would make his job much easier.
 
Back
Top