The "Fuck you cancer!" thread

I've been absent for a while but just want to send all of you my prayers and thoughts.

To everyone. :rose::rose::rose:

Sometimes, even when we know better, it's difficult to visit an ailing loved one. We feel so helpless and often angry without knowing te best way to express our love and concern.

Sometimes, even when we know better, it's difficult to visit an ailing loved one. We feel so helpless and often angry without knowing te best way to express our love and concern.

It is extremely difficult to know what to say, there's nothing many times. It feels so foreign, so strange and surreal and painful all at once. It really is hard to know how to support people sometimes. Talking about everyday life seems somehow disrespectful.

It is extremely difficult to know what to say, there's nothing many times. It feels so foreign, so strange and surreal and painful all at once. It really is hard to know how to support people sometimes. Talking about everyday life seems somehow disrespectful.

Yes, it's easy to get the idea that you need to say really helpful and profound things.
Those times I had to stay in the hospital for longer times, I was happy to have visitors who would just do the kind of everyday small talk that might normally bore me. My mother in law and I are not very close normally, but she came nearly every day for short visits, did her special kind of mostly selfsustaining chitchat and took me outside in a wheel chair sometimes so I could get some fresh air.
It doesn't require much participation from your side if you're too tired and it does keep you informed about what's going on in the outside world.

It can actually be helpful to be two visitors, if the person you are visiting is very tired. It can be nice to just listen to loved ones or friends talking to each other.

Yes, it's easy to get the idea that you need to say really helpful and profound things.
Those times I had to stay in the hospital for longer times, I was happy to have visitors who would just do the kind of everyday small talk that might normally bore me. My mother in law and I are not very close normally, but she came nearly every day for short visits, did her special kind of mostly selfsustaining chitchat and took me outside in a wheel chair sometimes so I could get some fresh air.
It doesn't require much participation from your side if you're too tired and it does keep you informed about what's going on in the outside world.

It can actually be helpful to be two visitors, if the person you are visiting is very tired. It can be nice to just listen to loved ones or friends talking to each other.

This is so true. Well said FYC!

Yes, well put. At first I felt cross with my brother but then I realised it is his way of coping, at least at the moment.

Thank you, this is very helpful :rose:

Mum has been in hospital for two weeks now. She has been told she has reached the lowest point and should slowly recover from now on. Fortunately she has not reacted too badly to the treatment. She still has her hair even though she has been told that she _will_lose it. And she is still fairly chatty :)

So now praying for a smooth and speedy recovery.

Praying for your Mum still and hoping she does well.

I haven't posted much - I just haven't been feeling real communicative for awhile.

I do lurk, though.

And you people just continue to fucking amaze me. Your courage, strength, resolve and support in the face of horror.

I've wished lately for a health bar refresh for each of you, no matter if you're suffering from cancer physically, emotionally or in some other way that ends in -lly. Whether it's in your own body or in that of someone you hold dear.

attachment.php

Thank you DeepGreenEyes.

Bone Pain

Have not updated much in recent weeks because the bone pain from the chemotherapy and follow-up shots of Neulasta (White Count Enhancer) has kept me curled up in the fetal position a great deal lately. Lost my hair but kept my eyebrows...lol...and I am not quite halfway through my full chemo regimen.

I still read this thread regularly and I am always blown away by the strength and resilience I see here.

Praying for Cascadia's Mom and LucyBee's Mum on a regular basis. So hard to watch your Mother who has done for you her whole life as she suffers through this disease.

FYC.

Have my 6 month checkup at the end of December. Starting to get nervous, even though I am in remission. Still dealing with the lung issues

Have not updated much in recent weeks because the bone pain from the chemotherapy and follow-up shots of Neulasta (White Count Enhancer) has kept me curled up in the fetal position a great deal lately. Lost my hair but kept my eyebrows...lol...and I am not quite halfway through my full chemo regimen.
FYC.

Always interesting how it affects everyone differently. I lost all my body hair first, then my eyebrows. Only lost a little hair on the sides of my head. My hair came back a darker color and a different feel to it.

Neulasta, ugh hate that shot. I had an adverse reaction to it, became paralyzed for 32 hours because of it. My oncologist was so angry at another doctor prescribing that to me

Thank you for all the kind comments re: mum. All much appreciated.

Amazing news! The doctors decided she was doing so well they discharged her from hospital yesterday! Didn't see that coming :D

So she is now home resting. She will need to go back on a weekly basis for a few weeks for tests and then can go to the local hospital for further check ups.
Yey :)

My brother hasn't coped at all well with mum being ill and I am due to skype with him tomorrow.

So happy your Mum is doing so much better...praying for your brother...

Have my 6 month checkup at the end of December. Starting to get nervous, even though I am in remission. Still dealing with the lung issues

Saying a prayer it all goes smoothly and remission soon becomes a cure my friend...

So happy your Mum is doing so much better...praying for your brother...

Thank you x.
Mum is doing really well. The London hospital think she is doing so well they have said she can do the rest of her blood tests at the local hospital. Yey!
And prayers much appreciated :rose:

Thank you x.
Mum is doing really well. The London hospital think she is doing so well they have said she can do the rest of her blood tests at the local hospital. Yey!
And prayers much appreciated :rose:

Great news! Congratulations! :rose:

This is pretty common from what I have seen. Regulars call it "scanxiety" because it seems to affect almost every survivor who has scans coming up soon. I got it pretty badly last year, for my one-year checkup scans. So badly, in fact, that I threw up the colonoscopy prep. The gastroenterologist went ahead with the procedure anyway, but there were too many places that weren't clean enough so I had to do it all over again two weeks later.

Thing is, nothing we do in the run-up to our tests will change the results, and worrying just makes it a little harder to endure any physical discomfort the tests require. This year I plan to meditate a little more often in the last weeks before my scans and hope that will be enough to relax me.

A little over a year ago, I started attending a local survivors' support group. As in any group, there were a few people whose knowledge was always available as a resource, and there were a few whose spirit and generosity helped make the group successful. Today I learned that one of those generous spirits is gone. He had been diagnosed with Stage 4 lung cancer six years ago and managed to hang on until late last week. I can't imagine how he survived so many rounds of so many different treatments and surgeries, yet he did. I learned a lot from him and will miss him a great deal. FYC

cmslt2326;72925564I still read this thread regularly and I am always blown away by the strength and resilience I see here. Praying for Cascadia's Mom and LucyBee's Mum on a regular basis. So hard to watch your Mother who has done for you her whole life as she suffers through this disease. FYC.[/QUOTE said:
Thank you so much for your prayers cmslt....please know I am praying for you as you endure your treatments and side effects.
Mom keeps thinking she has seen the worst her chemo will give her....then the next week it is something else. This 3 year treadmill is beyond onerous. I admire her optimistic outlook. As a healthcare provider, I am often less optimistic than she is about what will be next. (Not that I share such predictions with her, of course.) It is not a comfort that I am usually right.
FYC

Another bit of my "framily" announced the big C today. Grateful it's colorectal with no mets, but still. :(

Another bit of my "framily" announced the big C today. Grateful it's colorectal with no mets, but still. :(

I'm sorry to hear this. The no metastasis part is truly important, but it's still going to be a challenge. I have a ton of resources to share - PM if you're so inclined.

Thank you so much for your prayers cmslt....please know I am praying for you as you endure your treatments and side effects.
Mom keeps thinking she has seen the worst her chemo will give her....then the next week it is something else. This 3 year treadmill is beyond onerous. I admire her optimistic outlook. As a healthcare provider, I am often less optimistic than she is about what will be next. (Not that I share such predictions with her, of course.) It is not a comfort that I am usually right.
FYC

Thanks Cascadia...having an extensive family history with this disease means I know what to expect as well. I hate that I speak "chemo" so well because unfortunately I know what the side effects will probably be before they strike.....I also am never surprised by how many times a new little complication snowballs and ends up being almost as bad as the actual chemo itself.

Happy your Mom is hanging tough and keeping a positive outlook....still praying for her...

Back