ABSTRUSIONS: A Bohemian hangout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABSTRUSE

Cirque du Freak
Joined
Mar 4, 2003
Posts
50,094
Hello and welcome to ABSTRUSIONS.

I've noticed other forums have a place to go and relax. Just hang out and shoot the breeze, so why not the AH?

This is a place, always open, where artists and writers and poets can sit around and discuss whatever their heart desires.

Share your thoughts on anything literary or musical....give us poem to snap at....show off your art in the gallery.

So come on in and pull up a chair, relax on some cushions or find a nice comfy chair.

You can sip some absinthe or have a lovely espresso, maybe a nice cup of chai.

I'm here to serve you, or just listen if you want to shoot the shit.

One rule: No politics!....My bouncing days are behind me. I would hate to have to throw you out.

Topic of the day:
What's your favorite foreign film?

Enjoy!
Abs:rose:
 
Greetings, nice place you have here.

I'll have oolong tea, please.

my current fave in foreign film is a Hong Kong horror movie called "The Eye." It is probably the first scary movie that ever made me scream out loud. I still get the goosebumps from thinking about one scene. *shudder*
 
My favourite foreign film is a Japanese noodle trucker gangster western called Tampopo (Butterfly).

It must be watched with plenty of food available. It is a hymn to food with references to many film genres.

The scene between the gangster and his moll passing a raw egg from mouth to mouth is fantastically erotic with no overt sex.

If you get the chance, watch it with a friend, and food.

Og
 
I love Japanese movies, Kurosawa was a fave of mine...I love "Dreams" and finally got it on DVD.
I'll have to check out Tampopo...it's one I've passed by, now I'll have to give it a look see, and the food part is no problem.

I also love the chinese film "Raise the Red Lantern".
 
kinky shy girl said:
Greetings, nice place you have here.

I'll have oolong tea, please.

my current fave in foreign film is a Hong Kong horror movie called "The Eye." It is probably the first scary movie that ever made me scream out loud. I still get the goosebumps from thinking about one scene. *shudder*

One Oolong coming up. I will definitly have to check that one out also, I better get a pen and paper, seems I feel a list coming on.:)
 
I probably enjoy looking at Peter Greenways films in the sense of visual completeness. 'Painting by Numbers', 'The Cook, the Thief... et al'.

The Polish director, (name problem again, but surely someone in this place will remind me) The Three Colours series. I can watch these time and again.

I'll take an expresso, and a pasteis de nata, with just a dusting of cinnammon.

What time do you finish?
 
Right wench, I'll have a coffee and a chair near the window please, oh and how about a shoulder rub. lol

I can only think of one foreign film that I really enjoyed and it was Japanese. I can't remember the name, but I do know that it was copied by the west when they made 'The Magnificent Seven' with Yul Brenner.

It was a good action adventure, with samuri's outnumbered but not bettered by the evil doers.

Is my coffee ready yet?

Carl
 
Hey what do you mean by a massage, this is a classy joint not a whorehouse!...LOL.

Now drink your damn coffees and don't forget to tip the Hostess.

May I also add the pasteries are fresh daily and pies are made from seasonal fruits.

Anybody else like Bertolucci?
 
A leetle poem called "Driving at Sundown".

No, no. No bongos and flute. This is a short one, to be thrown back like a shot of whiskey.

<--ahem-->

The sun's orange whips in the dark evening grass,
Twilight mysteries by the side of the road.
Her eyes could be headlights,
They show me so much.


Thank you. Thank you all, so very much.

---Daddy-O Zoot
 
erm.. service please... a half caff, lowfat cap with hazelnut

like water for chocolate.. my fav foreign flick.. loved loved loved it. even reading the book before seeing the movie wasnt a downer.


btw. if this is a bohemian hangout, does that mean you dont shave? i was wondering about the hair slipping out of your sleeves..
 
Snaps for Big Daddy Zoot.

and to the little blonde bimbette, I'm completely hairless, this is a wig.

I confused Like Water for Chocolate with Better than Chocolate, but I did like the song..."I'm not a fucking drag queen"

Happy Hour Special:
All Drinks half price!!!!
 
Just a drop of Darjeeling, if you don't mind.

I think my favorite foreign films still are The Gods Must Be Crazy I & II, probably just a little more I because it was such a surprise.

:rolleyes: What can I say, I've got low tastes?
 
vella_ms said:
like water for chocolate.. my fav foreign flick.. loved loved loved it. even reading the book before seeing the movie wasnt a downer.


Great film (and book). It is being shown here as a 'soap' loosely, very loosely, based around the book. Made by a Brazilian company that seems to have bought a job lot of Merchant-Ivory film sets and costumes.

Notice she didn't tell me when she finished working, do you think I should leave a tip?
 
neonlyte said:

Notice she didn't tell me when she finished working, do you think I should leave a tip?

I get off at midnite, but I quit work at 2:00am.:cool:
 
Cinzano Bianco on ice, with a twist, per favore. Today's fave furren film will be "La Dolce Vita". Ah, Marcello...

Perdita (smoking, wearing all black, no underwear)
 
Virtual_Burlesque said:
So, who does your rimshots?

Your hired here anytime you want to start working, I need another smartass here, can you wait tables and spew sarcasm? The pay aint the greatest but the tips are pretty good!
 
perdita said:
Cinzano Bianco on ice, with a twist, per favore. Today's fave furren film will be "La Dolce Vita". Ah, Marcello...

Perdita (smoking, wearing all black, no underwear)

I can't twist that good since I threw out my back wrestling gators but I'll try.

Welcome Perdita, bellisimo.
Love the outfit, sans a beret? I have some here if you need one.

Now tell us what you love about "La Dolce Vita" while I wake Carl up after his shoulder rub, his snoring is distracting Zoot.

Hey Neon, I catch you licking my pasteries again....BAM...to the moon!
 
La Dolce Vita

The opening scene was unlike anything I’d ever seen before—a statue of Christ hanging from a helicopter flying over Rome. Brilliant. Mastroianni’s beauty and masculinity compared only to Brando’s (*sniffle*). Anita Ekburg—female sexuality bursting at the seams—in the Trevi fountain scene. And all of it in black and white in 1960.

Perdita
 
Re: La Dolce Vita

perdita said:
The opening scene was unlike anything I’d ever seen before—a statue of Christ hanging from a helicopter flying over Rome. Brilliant. Mastroianni’s beauty and masculinity compared only to Brando’s (*sniffle*). Anita Ekburg—female sexuality bursting at the seams—in the Trevi fountain scene. And all of it in black and white in 1960.

Perdita

Was she wearing a black dress in that?
 
Gotta love Black and White flicks.

Thanks P, the next drink is on the house.:rose:
 
Abs sits in the corner eating mcdonalds.. while we wait ... something wrong with this picture?
 
Well, I can't really talk about favourite foreign films since i'm a foreigner myself, so to me american films are foreign films.

But I'd like to bring up Spanish-speaking cinema.
Two examples:
- 'Amores Perros' by Alejandro Gonzalez Innaritu
- 'Abre Los Ojos' by I don't have a clue. :(

Two great movies, really powerful and well done.

So there is some talent in Spain and Mexico.

Snoopy
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top