What to do

WhiskeyIsGood

Virgin
Joined
Nov 12, 2011
Posts
21
I know I don't come in here that often, and for that I apologize. In fact the last thing I posted was so long ago I don't recall the name of it, and it was something about me changing the name of my account I believe. But I was hoping to get some advice from my fellow writers if at all possible. I've been thinking about my writing a lot lately, and I feel quite satisfied with the way things have turned out for me since I started writing fiction on this site. I am 24-years old and to be honest I've been writing stuff since I was in my teens, but I never saved or shared any of those things until I joined up here. When I did join up I never expected to wind up with an actual group of fans.

Within the last five months though I've seen the comments I get on my stories. I get really good reviews, I get e-mails from people complimenting me and asking me about certain stories I've written. There was one series I am just about to finish up that I have gotten a LOT of e-mails from people about, asking me when it is going to continue. Almost begging me to continue it. Its a good feeling.

Someone suggested to me a while back, that I consider maybe putting some of these things on Amazon for download for a dollar or two each. I've seen and downloaded stuff myself from Amazon and I know there are a few people on there that make out pretty well doing so. I'd like to give it a shot. Problem is, being in a relationship, and with someone who isn't very big on sex unfortunately, let alone the idea of erotica...I don't know how I would pull that off.

I mean if I'm putting it on Amazon for a dollar or two to download, and a lot of people start downloading, I'm going to be bringing in some extra money. Nothing big obviously, but a little bit here and there. And the question stands...how am I supposed to explain to this person where that extra tiny bit of money is coming from every so often? I'd like to be straight out honest with her, but I know it's not something that will end well because after being together for so long I know how she is with that sort of stuff. Sex is "awkward" to her, which may in fact be a big part of the reason why I enjoy writing this stuff so much...its an outlet sort of.
Anyway, sorry this is a bit long. I just wanted to get some input if possible. Are there any authors on here who put their work up for download on sites like Amazon? Any tips on promoting your work when you do something like that? Anything would be helpful. Thanks.
 
If you want to send me a PM with any questions you have about getting onto amazon feel free.

As for your relationship? Well, that's your call. I'm not sure how serious you are with this person, but if you feel you have to keep things from her then perhaps you may want to rethink your choice in partner.

If she is "not into" sex that's one thing, but if you think she'd be upset at you for having fun and trying to better yourself financially that is an issue. You should be able to be forthcoming with the person you're with.

But that is just my opinion.

Good luck with both.
 
Last edited:
Honesty is just about always the best policy.

Good luck.

Seconded.
You can't have a good relationship with somebody you can't be honest about.

Also, I think it's putting the cart before the horse a bit. It's not that easy to make significant amounts of money on Amazon, not without quite a bit of time and work.
 
Seconded.
You can't have a good relationship with somebody you can't be honest about.

Also, I think it's putting the cart before the horse a bit. It's not that easy to make significant amounts of money on Amazon, not without quite a bit of time and work.

Especially when they keep changing the playing field at the drop of a hat.

I've had to pull down and re-work and re invent and modify my work so many times I feel like a damn Phoenix Rising from the ashes every time I start again
 
Do you need to explain the extra money? I mean, does she have access to an account that the money will be in? I absolutely agree that it's better to be honest with her, but if you're writing this stuff without her knowledge doesn't the fact that you're making a bit of money from it become the lesser crime, so to speak.

My wife is 'awkward' about sex too and in the past we have had words about what I write but if she were to forbid me to write, or if our relationship were at risk because of her attitude towards my writing, then I'd have to have a long hard look at whether I wanted to be with someone so controlling. You probably don't want the nature of your relationship questioned over this, if that's the case then maybe you shouldn't take the risk of publishing for profit.
 
I mean if I'm putting it on Amazon for a dollar or two to download, and a lot of people start downloading, I'm going to be bringing in some extra money. Nothing big obviously, but a little bit here and there. And the question stands...how am I supposed to explain to this person where that extra tiny bit of money is coming from every so often?

Write and publish some straight fiction too. Then just say whatever is coming in is coming in from your writing. Who's to know what the split is between mainstream writing and erotica?
 
Thanks everybody. Your right, honesty is key. That's always been something important to me too, but lately its difficult as the two of us have been arguing quite often. But that is besides the point. I'm going to look more in to the Amazon thing, but not sure if I will do it yet or not only because I have read an equal mix of good and bad reviews about selling your material through them. I am not sure if it would be a good idea or not.
 
Thanks everybody. Your right, honesty is key. That's always been something important to me too, but lately its difficult as the two of us have been arguing quite often. But that is besides the point. I'm going to look more in to the Amazon thing, but not sure if I will do it yet or not only because I have read an equal mix of good and bad reviews about selling your material through them. I am not sure if it would be a good idea or not.

Its a love hate thing with them.

They are not kind to indy authors and for lack of a better term I'll say unethical in a lot of their recent dealings on the kindle side of things.

But they are still the biggest market so a necessary evil.

Think of amazon as that girl who's a raging bitch, but she's so fucking hot you have to have her anyway.
 
Back
Top