Beacons in the Cold Night: A WoW Story (Closed for SinisterSpiders)

There was something. Or so he suspected. That long pause spoke clearly of something she did not wish to share. Jasreath felt a bit slighted at that, foolish though that feeling was. It was an intensely personal matter, after all. Among his kind, an addiction of any kind would be seen as a shameful loss of self control and imbalance. Perhaps she and hers felt the same.

"You are welcome. I regret I may do more." The contact of her lips on his skin...Elune, it sent sparks through him. The druid took a deep breath to try and steady himself. "Tomorrow, once we are in the city, I...would like it if...I am bad at this," he sighed.

He met her gaze again. "That room I spoke of. I would like it if you were to, ah, consent to...share it with me." His cheeks were hot and it annoyed him to blush so. "I would like to be with you when we were not in dire danger, to get to know you, and to...see if my...whether there is still...," he groaned and lowered his head. He sounded like a fool.

Jasreath took another deep breath. "I will try again. You have felt my desire these mornings and nights. I want to know if there us more than instinct and raw physical attraction behind that. If you wish, of course. If not, I will not speak of it again."
 
Senira felt terrible for lying, especially because of the look on Jasreath's face, but she knew she did the right thing. If he offered her his mana she wanted him to do it for the right reasons, and she wanted him to he able to enjoy it. He'd shown himself as such a cautious creature, she knew the distraction if being tapped would make him feel far too vulnerable. But anar'alah it was tempting. Especially as she watched him stumble through his request. His blushing was endearing, but his words even more so. Yes, she had get his desire pressed up against her, and yes she had wanted to test it. She had thought she made her intentions clear, but obviously not clear enough.

"We have been sharing shelters for the last few nights, it would be a great loss not to share a sleeping space with you again," she whispered,looking up at his entrancing eyes. She reached up to cup his blush-heated cheek and she pressed her lips softly against his, moaning quietly at the taste of him.
 
Her answer was more than he had hoped for. There was no telling with things that happened in the heat of the moment. One could mean things earnestly that were later regretted or something you would never do without that impulsive, instinctive shove. Perhaps there was still some of that. But he felt relief that, if nothing else, that was not all that it was.

Her kiss was even more unexpected. But a thing of glory. Despite their travel and the fact that they should be chapped, her lips were sweet, smooth, warm, wonderful. Her moan made his ears quiver, his manhood throb, and drew an answering rumble from deep within his chest. Their lips parted only for a moment before he pressed them together again, his parting just so. His strong arms moved and pulled her closer, groaning as he felt her lush softness against him.
 
Jasreath didn't retreat from her kiss. In fact, he answered her move with a resounding rumble from his chest. The sound was as much a relief as it was arousing, and as he wrapped his arm around to pull her closer she shifted with him, pressing her whole body against his longer one. Even when their lips parted he gave her a moment to catch her breath before they were kissing again.

Senira's body was on fire. It was filled with so many thoughts, emotions and sensations that she could burst. In the past few days everything had felt like that frigid, desolate cesspit that was Icecrown. But now? She felt so alive.

Senira's arm wrapped around Jasreath, her fingers toying at the exposed skin at the base of his neck for a moment before trailing down his back. She ran her hand down his back slowly, fingers clutching and kneading, as she got a feel for what was beneath his shirt. Lower and lower her hand travelled until she felt the dip of his lower back. She restrained herself from going lower, but she did slide her hand to his hip, holding him there as she pressed their bodies together.
 
It was warm in the shelter with her before this first kiss and the press of her lush body. But now it was hot. He almost felt fevered, a rushed and rash desire to remove the rest of his clothes flickering through him. Senira was alive and vibrant in his arms as she hadn't been all day. Her fingers explored his back through his undershirt, moving ever lower. She paused just before she would have touched his ass and he froze. But to his relief and disappointment, she instead took hold of his hip and held him. Held him so that he could not pull away. Elune's perky tits, that was a flattering thing! That she'd want to be so close...

His lips moved against her lips, "You may touch me however you want. I...I want you to. I should be cautious, wait until we are safer but...forgive me."

He kissed her again and his hands moved. One of them cupped the sweet curve of her ass and squeezed gently. He kneaded the pert cheeks and moaned. What an ass! The other slid down lower to caress the backs of her legs, tracing their shape and feeling the muscles there. Jasreath wanted more. He wanted to fondle her magnificent breasts, feel the heat of her sex on his fingers but here he faltered. He wanted so desperately...but "what if" kept floating through his mind.
 
Jasreath seemed to sense her caution and then spoke, giving her permission to touch him as she liked. By the Sun Well! It was like being given all your wildest dreams at once. She could scarcely think with all the possibilities of what she wanted to do with him clamouring in her mind.

"Oh!" Senira moaned into the kiss, chills running through her body as he kneaded her arse and caresses the backs of her legs. Her hips pushed towards him instinctively as she felt her core responding so desperately to his touch.

But then his kisses faltered, his touch became distracted. The words he had said before floated back to her, the ones he had said whilst she was busy thinking of all the ways she wanted to touch him. The pain from the magic addiction was still a gnawing presence at her insides, but her lust overpowered it with ease.

Senira's hands left Jasreath's hips, balling into fists as she settled them on her side. Her rebellious body sensed what she was about to do and sent an angry throb of protest to her core. She gritted her teeth, giving herself a moment before speaking.

"We... We don't need to rush this. We have already agreed to share a room in Dalaran. If you like we can wait until then, when we are safer. When we don't have to be cautious," Senira panted, looking up into his eyes. Her heart was still pounding, her core still throbbing, but she could tell he was not comfortable, and his comfort and sense of security needed to come before their pleasure.

After this she knew that all there would be for them to do was sleep. At the very least it would help them pass the time. On any other day she would fear that her lust would prevent her from slumbering, but tonight she knew the exhaustion of the addiction would override it.
 
Jasreath bowed his head. She had read him perfectly. Part of wondered if it would be like this when they ventured forth together after their stay in Dalaran. Assuming that they clicked as he felt they already had...no. Then they would be fully armed and girded, and more importantly, fully supplied. There wouldn't be the vulnerability provided by fatigue and grief. Or so he hoped. How he wanted to take her in the wild! Trees overhead, green under their joined bodies, the free breeze caressing them!

Another night. Or day. Maybe both.

The Night Elf breathed deep, "You speak wisdom. I recognize it. My body, my heart urge me to ignore it...but you are right." He took another few deep breaths to calm his racing heart. His manhood was no as easily dissuaded and stayed proudly ready. "Sleep...is what we need tonight, even if we burn for more." His eyes met hers, "And I do."

He gave her another fierce kiss, long and lingering, before settling back with a sigh. "My offer of touch remains. Lie however you are comfortable and as close or in contact as you wish. I will not protest."
 
Senira watched as Jasreth bowed his head and took deep breaths to steady himself. She wondered if he felt the same way she did, if calming his need was as difficult for him as it was for her in this moment. When he spoke she could hear her own longing in his words; yes, it was difficult for him too. Even though she could hear the restraint in his words she could feel his manhood between their hips still. By the Sun Well, she wanted him so!

There was a fire in his kiss that was at odds with the decision they had made, but Senira took it. She kissed him back, hard, putting a promise into her lips and tongue. When he pulled back she smiled up at him, reaching up to caress his cheek, the tip of her index finger brushing against the side of his earlobe almost accidentally. That action sent a jolt of lust through her body as she moved herself around so that her back was against him.

"Sleep well, Jasreath," She said, voice soft as she felt for his arm and brought it around her. She could feel the long, graceful form of his body all along her back, curved slightly around her, his hardness nestled right against her rear. She felt herself get even wetter between the legs. They may not be going any further tonight, but it didn't mean that they couldn't enjoy each other's bodies at least a little bit.

And, as Senira had imagined, the pangs of the addiction started to get stronger as the distraction of her lust faded. It was, in many ways, a very long night for her. She remained calm though, knowing that she would be sated soon enough, and that any discomfort would be well worth it.

~*~

The next morning Senira was up with the sun. She and Jasreath, up until this point, had been inclined to relax a little longer in the mornings after they woke. But today they had a purpose. Dalaran was only a few hours away, and Senira knew it would only be that long before her pangs and aches turned into true pains. She got up and slipped easily out of the shelter; at some point during the night she must have pulled away from Jasreath to avoid waking him with her unsettled tossing and turning.

Senira spent a little while roaming the forest beyond their camp. She didn't go too far; remaining within earshot. Luckily, being this close to Dalaran, the crystalline trees had started to give way to real natural ones, so foraging was easier. She found a good amount of berries and nuts that would be safe to eat before returning. When she got back, if Jasreath were awake, he would notice what the night had cost her. She was even paler than the night before, the start of some tired purple circles under her eyes. But she would smile, nonetheless, at seeing him there.
 
Last edited:
The touch to his ear sent a lightning bolt of raw sensation though him. His body tensed and he muffled a groan, his phallus jumping and throbbing in his small clothes. "Yes," he breathed, "good night."

That touch! And the feel of her in his arms, that perfect ass pressed against his rod...it was going to be a long night. Yet hers would be worse. Her addiction was troubling. Not least because of how it made her suffer. But there was also that lingering suspicion of arcane magic at the back of his mind to deal with. Though it was not as severe as it had once been. Edhrahil and Telya had laid the groundwork for his tolerance of something that was taboo to his people. What would they think of him having such feelings for someone whose whole being was wrapped in barbs of arcane magic? ...They'd laugh, both if them, and Telya would tell him to ask Senira if she was into threesomes at which point Ed would remember some task taking him away while he blushed bright red.

Elune, how he missed them already.

He held Senira a little tighter at that thought.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

He awoke as she dressed and slipped out of the shelter. Jasreath's silver eyes gleamed in the dark after she left. Today was the day. The day that would make or break their survival attempts. They would make it to Dalaran or...no. He would not consider "or." They would succeed.

Jasreath lingered in her scent and the ghost of her warmth for a few minutes before dressing and leaving the shelter himself. He busied himself with re-starting the now fallow fire so that his lovely companion would be able to warm herself on her return. As he did so, he thought about last night. He had dreamed again and many of the dreams were disturbing but fewer of them. Senira. It all came back to her. She had saved body and mind both.

Which is why his heart ached when he saw her in the morning light. Her skin was paler even than before and had a waxy look to it. Her ears visibly drooped and there were dark circles under her eyes. Those blue eyes flecked green. "Senira, welcome back. Sit, please." He took what she had gathered and portioned out their shares but not equally. Two thirds for her and one for him. "I do this not for pity but because you now have greater need than I. Besides, you will need your strength in Dalaran for what I have planned for our time there." Perhaps an empty sally but perhaps not. "Did you see any signs of others about? Tis said crystalline golems made by the giants of Ulduar harvest the crystals here and are none too friendly to outsiders."
 
Senira smiled and flushed at Jasreath's words about their time in Dalaran. Their near encounter from the night before was still searingly fresh in her mind, and she was glad he was still thinking on it. At any other time, she would have argued with him, insisted he take half of what she found, but she was weak and she had a feeling he wouldn't hear of it.

So instead of arguing, Senira ate, storing this kindness away in her mind with all of his other ones.

"I didn't roam too far," Senira began slowly between berries, "so I didn't see any golems. But I have seen them before, and you're right. They are about as friendly as a murloc with a spear in its side. We will need to watch for them." T

Then Senira paused, clearly distracted by a thought. Her neutral expression turned to a frown as she assessed the levels of magic running through her body.

"If I had sufficient magic I could track them properly... but I am afraid I do not. I will try my best without access to arcane intervention, but I can make no guarantees. Tracking without magic is more of an art than a science. We will just have to hope that we don't run into any golems unexpectedly. But we should be fine; we only have a short few hours before we reach the city."

Senira didn't bother to add what other abilities would be lost to her without a proper connection to magic. She could still fire her bow as well as ever, yes, but she couldn't add any extra abilities to it. She would still be able to fight, but would not be able to call on the arcane wilds to improve her speed or strength. They were not defenseless by any means, but a fight would be a sure challenge to the two worn-down elves.
 
Jasreath nodded at her comments. "Well, we must balance caution and haste then." He had already eaten his share of the food and took a long drink from her waterskin before handing it to her. The moonberry juice was long gone now and he regretted it. The tart sweetness might be a good pick me up for her. And him. "But our goal is in reach. Today we will make it. Safety, food, magic, and warmth await."

They warmed themselves for another quarter hour before rising dousing the fire, and heading out. Though he did not have her withdrawal symptoms to contend with, he was weary as well. The going was slower than it may have been otherwise. Beneath the now mingling natural and crystalline trees they were sheltered from the wind for the most part but it also gave the air a stillness that felt eerie at times. There was more signs of animal life though, and that was encouraging. But time was still their enemy. More life also meant more competition for food, so spending another night here would be...inadvisable.

The druid found himself leaning on his spear as much as carrying it while they walked on. They paused to rest for a few minutes every half hour. While speed was needed, they also had to be careful of overextending. They spoke little but instead they touched; a light touch to the shoulder or hand, even holding hands at one point as they had to cross some broken ground, reminded them of one another's presence and support.

After the first hour, they began to see the floating city through breaks in the canopy. By the end of the second hour they were within it's shadow. It was heartening and at least for a time, his steps were lighter. Now in addition to the trees, rocks, and low plants, there were also pieces of buildings and the remnants of structures. Whether it was from Dalaran or from the ancient Night Elf city that had once been in these woods, it was not immediately apparent. Another time he would have liked to look at them and find out but now there was no delaying. Onward. Ever onward.

After four and a quarter hours, they were more or less under the center of the city. Below them near the riverbank were the reclaimed ruins that the Kirin Tir had fashioned into bulwarks and dubbed The Violet Strand. It was from there that they could use the teleportation crystals the city's many mages had made to reach the skyborn sanctuary. It was perhaps a hundred yards away.

As good as a mile.

Between them and the Strand were a pair of strange figures. They were, in general, immediately recognizable to Jasreath. A scheming satyr with his Night Elf torso but bestial legs, tail, horns, and clawed hands. Beside him was a dryad; with the upper body of a beautiful and buxom Night Elf atop the body of a large and powerful elk. Both creatures were well known to his people, despised and beloved respectfully, but these were not true living things. Their bodies were oddly angular and their skin gleamed like polished glass. "The crystal golems," he sighed. "Ill luck to fight them now,weary as we are." The creatures were in their way and there was no way of going down towards the slope that would not put them in the golems' sight. They were known to attack any they spotted.

He looked over at Senira and gave her a tired smile, "One more trial. I shall rush them as the bear and keep them engaged. If these are anything like their real counterparts, both will be physically strong and possess magic attacks. Real dryads can heal...I don't know about this facsimile. I...do not know how much strength you have. I urge you to consider if you can fight or if you would be better served making for The Violet Strand and getting help from the mages there."
 
The journey took double the time Senira had estimated. Double the time that it would have taken had they not been so worn down. Each step seemed to weigh heavily on Jasreath, and it didn't escape Senira's notice that he had taken to leaning on his spear for support. She herself found the trek increasingly difficult as they went on. But it wasn't long before they could see Dalaran in the distance, and it added an extra bit of motivation that they both seemed to need. The other thing that Senira found rather motivating was the small touches they shared. They were both too exhausted for much chatter, but whenever there was some difficult terrain, some bump in the path, they used each other for support. The support would linger for longer than it needed to, and it was that which kept Senira pushing. Despite the tragedies of the past few days, or years for Senira, she had found something good in this world.

They finally arrived beneath Dalaran. They were almost to the teleportation stones when Jasreath stopped them. Senira hadn't even realised she'd stopped looking for signs of tracks until it was too late. Her head was pounding and it was a chore to put one foot in front of another. She looked up, seeing the golems that Jasreath had spotted and her heart dropped. So close. They were so damn close.

Jasreath's smile made Senira's entire body ache further.

"No. There is no way I am leaving you. By the time I get to the stones, use them, and get the lazy guards to bother even thinking about helping it will be too late. No-" Senira stopped and took a deep breath as she looked around, her hands balling into fists at her side as she struggled to focus. She realised that there was nowhere else they could approach the stones from; the golems would see them from any side. And from the way the ground was torn up there were likely to be more around.

"We fight together or not at all," Senira said, turning and placing her hand on Jasreath's chest. "I still have enough left in me for this." She took her bow off her back and selected an arrow, readying it as she looked at him. "Before you charge, let me lure them closer. There is no point wasting energy going all the way to them. Bring them here, give us the advantage of higher, sheltered ground."

Senira took aim, finding a core of calm in the maelstrom of her mind. One breath, two breaths, then fire. The arrow whistled through the air, across the distance, and thudded right into where the heart would be of a satyr. The arrow head did manage to pierce the golem's crystalline armor, but it wasn't the killing strike it should have been.

"Fight well, Jasreath, we have promises to keep after this," She said with a smile and a suggestive twinkle in her tired eyes before taking another arrow and aiming once more.
 
Last edited:
He hadn't really expected her to agree but it was still heartwarming that she refused to leave him. He placed a hand over hers when she touched his chest and gave it a squeeze. The druid stretched and took deep breaths as she readied her shot. It was a beautiful thing; perfectly placed and powerful enough to drive the shaft deep into the crystal satyr's chest. Not enough to destroy it though. Both golems turned and spotted them, starting to rush up the slope with wordless, oddly reverberating war cries.

Her encouragement drew a brief laugh, "After has never sounded better." Then he turned and channeled mana inward and out to call on nature's power. His body grew in bulk and twisted around, limbs rearranging, thick hide and fur sprouting, his face becoming a heavy muzzle, hands and feet becoming bluntly clawed paws, his clothes and gear vanishing Elsewhere. The massive bear with Night Elf ears bellowed in fury and bolted down the slope to meet the golems. He didn't want them too close to the weary archer.

The raw physical power of the bear was a rush and the surging rage of the ursine spirit overwhelmed his fatigue. For now. It would return all the stronger once battle was over but for now, he was protective anger incarnate as he slammed his bulk into the dryad to knock the golem to the ground. His left forepaw swept forward and in with a savage taking blow that smashed the crystalline satyr and hurled it back in front of the bear. Jasreath roared his defiance; no one would touch her without going through him! No one! Not one thing!

An arrow shot over his head, the fletching buzzing like angry hornets, to bury deep into the satyr's chest, a mere inch from the first. Spider web cracks spread through the construct. Even in the midst of the bear's fury, he marveled at her precision. The satyr did not truly live, being an animated construct, but it was not about to go quietly. It tore into him with sharp crystal claws; his thick hide and fur were as strong as metal plates but they still sliced out clumps of fur and drew then streams of blood.

The dryad had risen to its feet and its elven hands rose over its head to make arcane gestures for a moment before there a sizzling crack and the smell of burnt fur as lightning sprang from its hands to strike Jasreath. He bellowed in both pain and fury now, whipping his head about to bite where the elf-like waist joined the elk body. Despite it being made of crystal, his jaws tensed and gem cracked under them as he bit into the creature. His shoulders and neck flexed, his rear legs dug into the cold forest floor, and he reared up, lifting the shrieking dryad in his jaws up into the air to then crash it down on top of the satyr.

Jasreath let go; a slight ache in his jaw. He side stepped around the fallen pair to give Senira a clearer shot at them. Then he reared up on his back legs again to bring all of his weight and strength crashing down on them both.
 
Senira fired three more arrows in the time that Jareath's bear form charged their foes. The shots were fast, but not as accurate, but she had wanted to get them in before Jasreath engaged and every shot would require all of her concentration. She then took aim, tracking the movements of her Elven companion and the golems, ready to fire with as soon as an shot opened up. As she waited, Senira couldn’t help but marvel at the wonder of Jasreath. Other druids she had seen had worn their animal forms like an I'll fitting suit of armor, but when he changed he took on the animal as if he were born to it. Right now she almost pitied the crystalline creatures as they felt his viciously clawed wrath.

There! Another shot! An arrow sung through the air and thunked into its target mid fight. Senira was about to fire another when she saw a particularly nasty swipe of crystal that sent fur and blood flying off Jareath's. No!

Fury and determination blazed through Senira when she saw the hits that Jasreath was taking. In a split second she had another arrow nocked, more determined than before to bring those golems down. Then Jasreath, clever Jasreath, sidestepped in order to give her a clear shot as the creatures tumbled on the ground. She fired two arrows in rapid succession, each one aimed not to do damage where the meat form would have been vulnerable, but instead to further weaken the crystal that made them. The arrows landed around six inches from the previous ones, creating new cracks that feathered out quickly until they met the old ones.

They were getting closer now, Senira could taste it. A few more well placed strikes and victory would be theirs. But she was fading, fast. She could feel the tug of fatigue on her mind, and she knew she wouldn't have long before her aim waivered and her strength flagged. Then, right on cue, a pang of withdrawal hit her so hard that she doubled over with pain and she groaned.

"Come on Senira!" She hissed between gritted teeth, admonishing her weakness as she forced herself upright and took aim once more.
 
The golems rose to their feet and even amidst the bear's fury, Jasreath felt a surge of hope. The cracks in the satyr's body were spreading from the force of its' own movement and the dryad was little better due to the thin legs of the copied form. Almost over.

He bellowed his challenge at them and the two turned to him, the nature magic infusing the roar forcing them to focus on him. And it was good that they did; his sharp eyes caught sight of Senira doubling over past them. He reared up again and smashed both front paws down on the satyr's shoulders as hard as he could. There was a snapping sound first; sharp and clear, and then a rippling crackle as the crystalline body broke and partly exploded into glittering shards.

The dryad stepped back and raised its' hands to cast again. Jasreath lunged and slammed against it with his right shoulder to disrupt the movements of the spell. The golem shrieked and reared up, smashing his head, shoulders, and back with flailing hooves. Their edges bit into him, more fur and blood falling to the ground. The bear snarled, the pain only increasing his rage, and reached up to grab one of its' cracked legs in his mighty jaws. He wrenched it back and forth, feeling it tremble and splinted in his grip and then break free. Jasreath leaped back, spitting out the crystal limb. The dryad stumbled and fell, the remaining legs struggling to lift her again. He charged once more to hit the arcane construct, his big paws smashing, trying wildly to finish her before he was injured beyond the limits of his healing magic after shifting back.
 
When the first foe splintered into a million shining pieces Senira was too exhausted to be relieved. The other one had yet to go down, and as Jasreath fought it she could see that his energy was flagging. He was slower now, and just as he disrupted the crystal dryad's spell she could see he was unable to dodge its physical counter attack. More blood and fur was hacked from the shifted-bear-form and seeing it sent concern shooting through her veins. She wanted to shoot, but with her arm shaking from exhaustion she couldn't guarantee that wouldn't hit Jasreath.

Then, as Jasreath righted himself after being swiped at, the dryad took a step back and castes a spell. For a fraction of a second Senira thought that it hadn't worked, but then the earth around Jasreath erupted violently, shards of large purple crystal shooting up and surrounding him, trapping him. The amusement on the golem's face was clear as it stood back and cast an arcane bolt that flew right into Jasreath's bear form.

"No!" Senira croaked, knowing that her companion was trapped. He wouldn't survive much longer, and she knew she wouldn't either. This desperate tactic from the golem would be enough to save its life and doom theirs.

Then Senira froze.

A realization hit her then. It crashed down upon her with all of the weight of the world. Both of them need not die. Jasreath- if she could save him- he wouuld be able to make it to Dalaran. Injured as she was, she would only be a burden to him. She didn't have enough life left in her to keep fighting for much longer, but perhaps...

Senira took a moment to close her eyes and concentrate. She heard another arcane bolt sizzle against Jasreath's fur as she spiraled down into her consciousness.

There- right in the very core of her being- it was the very last of her essence, infused and glowing with the dregs of the mana within.

Senira's eyes snapped open, a new resolution in them as she rose her bow. The dryad's crystalline bonds had saved her for a moment only to doom her later. There was no way Senira could miss the creature now that Jasreath was seperated from it. She drew her arrow back, finding enough strength in her resoultion to hold it true. She then pulled up the last of that mana, feeling the warmth fleeing from her very core with it. It pounded, it thrummed, it glowed with dark desperation as she whispered the words for her final spell. It turned the head of the arrow dark, wreathed it with deadly killing power.

"You will not have him," Senira breathed, then she let the arrow fly.

The shadow-wreathed arrow sung across the space between them. The moment stretched for an eternity, the flight of the arrow almost appearing as though it was passing through mollasses not air. Senira watched with pride as it got closer and closer and then finally- it smashed deep into the breast of the dryad before exploding with dark energy that sent the crystal shattering through the afternoon light.

A smile stretched Senira's dry lips as her hands lost all strength and her bow and arrow fell to the ground. Then her body started to go cold, she couldn't even feel the pain of impact when she dropped to the forest floor. The world swam in black and light around her as her consciousness waned. The last thing she saw was Jasreath as he made for her.

"I'm sorry," Senira breathed before her eyes fluttered shut and her breathing slowed.
 
The next day came and yet Jasreath felt little cheer. The suite he had rented at the Legerdemain Lounge, the largest neutral inn in the floating city of Dalaran was dimly lit; he had turned the magic lights down to the level of moonlight and starlight, though some of the brighter northern sun slanted in through the curtains drawn over the windows. It was well appointed and, for the tastes of Dalaran, tastefully furnished. The suite was composed of a large living room with a dining area that opened onto a balcony overlooking the city streets, an almost as large bedroom with a lounging couch, a large bath, and it's own set of doors for the balcony. There was a separate bathroom as well. It was warm and comfortable with magical luxuries like hot and cold running water, lights, probably more he hadn't discovered. He would be delighted to indulge in the comforts of such a place, were he not consumed with worry.

He was not alone in the suite, yet he might as well be. Senira lay in the heavy framed four poster bed in the bedroom, the sheets and blankets drawn up to her chin. She had been tended by healers after he appeared in the city carrying her cold, limp form. They had bathed her, made her eat a nutritive broth and drink water, and clothed her in a thick, warm robe before placing her in the bed. She had not stirred through any of it, though he had not been present when the healers bathed her. They had massaged her throat and used magic to allow her to eat and drink but there had been no response. The healers had been cautiously hopeful; telling him to keep her warm and the area dim and quiet; that she would wake in time and be fine...or not wake at all.

So he sat on a chair by the bed, waiting and watching. She was breathing better, normally even, and she was warm to the touch. But she was still so pale and she would not wake. It was over a day now since she had collapsed after saving his life yet again; cold and barely breathing on the forest floor. She had made not even a noise in all that time.

He had quickly bathed and eaten himself, not luxuriated in it as he had wished but hurriedly, wanting to stay by her side as much as possible. He had slept off and on in the chair but not truly or deeply rested yet. He could not. Not until he knew. Not until he saw her eyes open and heard her voice.

Elune, let her wake. He had prayed for it, his first real prayers in years, and waited. It was all he could do. Two mugs of hot tea rested on the nightstand and he drank from one of them. He had poured two cups each time and drank both before they could grow cold. But he wanted something hot and nice ready when she woke.

She would wake. Jasreath made himself believe it, refused to consider the alternative. He couldn't lose her too. Be left alone again. Watch another he cared for so much die.

He sighed and stood up from the chair. The tall Night Elf was wearing a robe as well; loose on his frame and falling just to his waist, a pair of linen short pants beneath, his feet bare. Their clothes and equipment had been magically washed, repaired, and cleaned; now sitting in a corner of the bedroom. He leaned over her unconscious form and reached down to lightly caress her forehead and rest his palm cupping one cheek. A gesture he had repeated over a dozen times since they had brought her here. After a few moments, he stood and walked the few steps to the window, peering through the crack out at the city. How he had looked forward to being here and now he found no joy in it. Not without her, without them both making it.
 
The darkness came to her first.

Odd, thought Senira, she had always imagined that death would be nothingness, but not blackness.

After the darkness came pain. It radiated through every part of her, so much so that it became her. It throbbed, pulsed, ached... It made her wonder what she had done so wrong in life to deserve this. She swan in the darkness and pain for what felt like decades.

It wasn't until she heard distant voices that she remembered there was more to it than that. More to life. The pain slowly dulled as her emotions and memories started to come back. Her sense of concern and urgency was the most salient. Something had happened, of that she was certain. Whatever she did to get here, wherever here was, it wasn't good.

And then she felt it. Something. An actual touch. It was soft, kind, and it pushed through the darkness.

Senira's eyebrows creased with worry for a moment before her eyes fluttered open and she gasped.

"Jasreath?" She said, her voice coming out as a hoarse whisper.

Her memories came flooding back and Senira's heart thundered in her chest. Jasreath! He was alive. He made it! And somehow he got her out of trouble too! Senira tried to sit up but the action used muscles that had been drained and dormant for a day, and she groaned as she stopped trying and let herself lay back. She could see him through the dimly lit room, over by the window, surrounded by a halo of light. By the Sun Well, her body felt so weak, but she was alive! They were both alive!

"We made it," she whispered, looking over at him.
 
Last edited:
His right war twitched as he thought he heard a stirring in the room behind him. A soft sound...a whimper? He turned to look at the bed and suddenly his breath caught in his chest. Her eyelids fluttered and then-then they opened and her bleary eyed confusion was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen. Her voice was hoarse and weak, yet his name from her lips was as a song.

He was at the bedside as fast as he could move, kneeling down beside her. he was beaming and his silver eyes glittered with relief. "We made it," he acknowledged, "thanks to you." His hands took hold of hers and squeezed them gently. "I...no doubt you feel exhausted still and weak, but right now...you are beautiful. I am happier to see you wake than I can express in words."

The druid rose and moved to the nearby table pouring a cup of water and bringing it to her, "Drink. There is food near, if you feel you can eat. I think you should try at least soup." He held out the cup in both hands. Part of him wanted to lift it to her lips and help her drink...but that was likely aid she did not need. She was strong of body and will, her weakness was temporary. With water and food, she could recover quickly, he thought.

And with magic. Even for him, the air here hummed with it. Could she feel it now? Was it enough that it was present or...he would ask if need be. Discussing her addiction was a topic for another time. Right now, he was just so happy, so delighted that she was awake.

"I feared," he said after a few moments, "that I may have failed you at the last, not reached aid soon enough. I am relieved beyond measure to see your eyes open and hear your voice."
 
Senira heard Jasreath's breath catch from across the room. The sound of utter surprise made her aching heart flutter. In dizzying instant he crossed the room, kneeling by the side of the bed. She turned her head, looking into his vibrant silver eyes. When he hands took hers she returned the gently squeeze. Her mind was still a little slow processing things, but she understood what he said. She was about to reach up to cup his cheek but he was already up and moving again, returning to her side with a cup of water. She reached out with both hands, taking it carefully, and drinking slowly so she didn't spill it on herself. She settled the cup on the mattress beside her, knowing she would need more soon, and finally reached over to caress his cheek. Her fingers shifted a few loose strands of hair behind his ear, brushing the sensitive flesh as she did.

"You did not fail me at all, even if I hadn't survived it would not have been your failure," She said, voice still rough. She ran her thumb over his cheek, pleased beyond all that he was alive and well. "I didn't think I would survive that. I didn't intend to. I thought that we could only save one of us, I wanted it to be you. I thought I was too far gone, and I didn't want to be around if I lost you. But you did it. You are amazing Jasreath, so amazing," she said.

In those few short moments, the two almost spoke more words than they had since meeting. It was such a rush of emotion felt between them at their shared survival. Making it out of Icecrown, through Crystalsong, and then through that fight below Dalaran...

Senira smiled slowly, ignoring the way her head pounded, and used the hand that was cupping Jasreath's cheek to pull him closer. After a few charged moments her lips found his and she kissed him. She didn't have enough energy to make it as enthusiastic as she would like to, but the emotions behind it were unmistakable. When she finally pulled away she was about to say something, but she was interrupted by the low rumble of her empty stomach.

"Oh," Senira said, blushing pink blooming on her pale cheeks, "Perhaps some soup would be nice please, if that wasn't too much trouble?"
 
The touch of her fingers on his cheek and then the light, accidental brush on his ear made him shiver and sent a tingle through his body. She was still weak and would need both food and drink before she had strength enough for...for what that touch made him desire. For what he had thought about and hungered for those nights they had sheltered together; when she was close to him, that lush and able body pressed against him...just the thought of it-

Her kiss made his mind briefly blank and his heart skip. Her lips were dry from her sleep and the sparing water they had drunk while on their desperate journey but they felt softer and tasted sweeter than any he had ever sampled before.

His eyes were bright as they parted and her lips moved to speak, then her rumbling stomach brought a flush to her cheeks and a grin to his lips. "It is no trouble. I have had it kept ready for when you woke. Be not ashamed; I have had the chance to eat my fill and recover some strength, you have not."

Jasreath rose, "Should you feel strong enough, you may wish to try at least sitting up. Rest is important and we both will need more of it but it is also good to move." The druid strode over to the room's hearth where a lidded pot sat with a pair of bowls and a few utensils. A puff of steam floated up as he removed the lid and set it aside, the smell of the creamy and rich seafood soup within rolling out. "Dalaran clam chowder," he commented as he ladled out a bowl for her, more broth than clam, onion, and potato for now. "It is good, I think, and it is incredibly warming. Just the thing. Though if it is not to your liking, I will send for something else. I have never had many possessions but my adventures have given me more coin than I honestly could spend normally." It was true, really. He had just accumulated it over his journeys and had no home or dependents to spend it on. He was glad for that; the stay here would eat up a good chunk of it but not enough for him to feel any fear or worry. This was what coin was for, was it not?

He rose and brought the bowl over to her. "The healers suggested eating slowly at first, though you may feel ravenous. To give your stomach a chance to adjust to having something in it." The bowl was warm to the touch from the heat of the soup within but not too hot for her to hold, he judged, and he placed it carefully in her hands. "If there is else you want, simply speak. I am your servant, Senira, very happily so."
 
Senira listened, feeling a little dazed as Jasreath spoke. Now that her mind had realised that they were both safe, and that she was hungry, it had slowed considerably. All the same she smiled, accepting the hot bowl of Dalaran clam chowder.

"No, no, this is incredible, thank you," Senira reassured him, taking a slow, savouring mouthful. She knew what the healers told him was right, as ravenous as she was, she knew there was wisdom in it. Nevertheless, she groaned as the warmth of it radiated right down to the pit of her belly, such a beautiful, blessed counterpoint to the bone-chilling cold that had plagued them both before.

Senira sat up a little more and folded her legs in front of her, setting the bowl into her lap. She reached out, taking Jasreath's hand and gently guided him to sit on the bed with her. She didn't let go of it either, relishing that contact and the knowledge of their relative safety.

"So... after I passed out, what happened?" She asked, wanting to know a little more of how they came to be here and how he has been since. She knew that for him, finding a healer that would work on her may have been a challenge. There was a lot of animosity towards her kind from either faction, ans even from both sides of her own fractured race. She was in an inbetween at the moment; too many green flecks in her eyes for her to be a High Elf, but she still refused go settle into the new culture of the Blood Elves. Dalaran was home to the High Elves, and if they had seen the Fel taint in her...

Either way Jasreath did find someone to heal her, but she wondered what the cost had been. She made a mental note to settle whatever debt her recovery had cost him. She sacrificed herself a few days before because she didn't want him to come to harm in any way, she didn't want the burden of having her healed to effect him either. A quick scan of the way he had walked and was now sitting revealed that he had indeed had time to heal from their ordeal... and it also revealed that the things she had felt towards him in the Crystalsong Forest still pulsed potently within her.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top