Metalheads & Writers

The classic metal album for today: Obituary - Slowly We Rot.

There is no fucking vocalist on this planet in my eyes that can compare to John Tardy's Death Metal vocal style. The man has a language all to his own with his unique vocal style. Very few bands have that "unique" sound. Chuck from Death, Glenn from Deicide, and Vorph from Samael come to mind. 👠👠👠Kant🌹

Gonna throw props to Ronnie James Dio, too. ( great vocalist😎, just not Death Metal though)

You've got to admit that The Gathering went straight downhill after "Nighttime Birds". Why they had to stop making female fronted doom metal still baffles me. Some of their later albums had some decent songs, but nothing can top the magic of "Mandylion".

Well, apart from Avatarium, that is. Leif Edling's pet project ever since he put Candlemass on slow burn, but given how fucking amazing their output has been so far, I'm willing to forgive him :) No idea what I'm talking about? This:

https://youtu.be/GWuGTYiQs8U
https://youtu.be/swO-VOEdIBA

Their first album was more or less "Candlemass with female vocals" (fine by me!!), their more recent efforts went into a 60s/70s psychadelic direction. Still super heavy, still fantastic vocals. Kinda like early Jefferson Airplane and Black Sabbath having one heck of a drug-fuelled orgy. Me likey.

The classic metal album for today: Obituary - Slowly We Rot.

There is no fucking vocalist on this planet in my eyes that can compare to John Tardy's Death Metal vocal style. The man has a language all to his own with his unique vocal style. Very few bands have that "unique" sound. Chuck from Death, Glenn from Deicide, and Vorph from Samael come to mind. 👠👠👠Kant🌹

Gonna throw props to Ronnie James Dio, too. ( great vocalist😎, just not Death Metal though)

Ooooh, days of puberty. My mates and I could gargle the whole album. "Cause of Death" still cracks me up because of that half-page lyric sheet. "Songs may include the following phrases", I'm pretty sure John made up most of the lyrics on the fly. :)
Good times!

As far as unique vocals go, I have to give props to some German legends. Udo Dirkschneider (Accept), Klaus Meine (Scorpions), Hansi Kürsch (Blind Guardian), Kai Hansen (Helloween) and Doro. Two, three words sung by them and you'll recognize any of them.

You've got to admit that The Gathering went straight downhill after "Nighttime Birds". Why they had to stop making female fronted doom metal still baffles me. Some of their later albums had some decent songs, but nothing can top the magic of "Mandylion".

Well, apart from Avatarium, that is. Leif Edling's pet project ever since he put Candlemass on slow burn, but given how fucking amazing their output has been so far, I'm willing to forgive him :) No idea what I'm talking about? This:

https://youtu.be/GWuGTYiQs8U
https://youtu.be/swO-VOEdIBA

Their first album was more or less "Candlemass with female vocals" (fine by me!!), their more recent efforts went into a 60s/70s psychadelic direction. Still super heavy, still fantastic vocals. Kinda like early Jefferson Airplane and Black Sabbath having one heck of a drug-fuelled orgy. Me likey.

Doom Metal😎 One of my favorite genes. I tend to link it with Gothic and Avante Gard🌹 Tiamat, Entwine, Theion, Amorphis, Beseech, Anathema,Opeth, My Dying Bride, Season of the Wolf, Alchemist, Cynic, Moonspell, and the band that defines it without question: Sundown. (To name a few of my favorites).

Little known fact, I'm a huge Doors fan. I always kind of felt like most of the Doom Metal bands spawned off The Doors. I never really got into Candlemass. Just something about them lacked key things to catch my ear.

Female vocals .... Archenemy is tops in my book😎 I admit The Gathering did go down hill fast though.

Every once in a while I see a band that I recognize. That may be too strong because I only have a track or two from a sampler. Opeth is one of those.

I'm not sure I would tie The Doors in to this genre. Steppenwolf maybe.

On those samplers, I think the only Doom track I have is 'Sick of it all' by The Skull. And if you look at the lyrics, it's not really and that dark.

@Kantarii:

https://youtu.be/mjF1rmSV1dM

New song by Arch Enemy. Sounds A LOT like freakin' Amon Amarth. My only gripe is the lack of clean vocals. I know, melodic death metal and all, but this number is basically a ballad, so why not let Alissa use all her vocal range?

Today's classic metal album(s):
Venom - "Black Metal" and "Welcome to Hell"😎 I actual own both Albums on vynal, tape, and CD. I even have most all of them downloaded on my flash drive do I can listen to them in my car. For those that enjoy cover songs, checkout Paradise Lost's version of "in nomine satanas"🙀Great cover🔥

I have no complaints with melodic Death Metal😎 I fucking love it🌹

What I meant to say: I would have loved to hear clean vocals on that Arch Enemy track, but because it's supposed to be melodic death metal (and they probably don't want to alienate their fans), they had her growlshriek all through the song. I know Alissa from her time in The Agonist, and her rock voice was killer too.

Besides, there's that Danish band Mercenary which married melodic death metal with killer clean vocals. Case in point:

https://youtu.be/OX3wKFYuwbs

It's off their breakthrough album 11 Dreams and one of my faves. Soilwork and Scar Symmetry also come to mind.

Today's classic metal album(s):
Venom - "Black Metal" and "Welcome to Hell"😎 I actual own both Albums on vynal, tape, and CD. I even have most all of them downloaded on my flash drive do I can listen to them in my car. For those that enjoy cover songs, checkout Paradise Lost's version of "in nomine satanas"🙀Great cover🔥

When I think Venom, my mind goes straight to Autopsy. Can't have one without the other :)

What I meant to say: I would have loved to hear clean vocals on that Arch Enemy track, but because it's supposed to be melodic death metal (and they probably don't want to alienate their fans), they had her growlshriek all through the song. I know Alissa from her time in The Agonist, and her rock voice was killer too.

Besides, there's that Danish band Mercenary which married melodic death metal with killer clean vocals. Case in point:

https://youtu.be/OX3wKFYuwbs

It's off their breakthrough album 11 Dreams and one of my faves. Soilwork and Scar Symmetry also come to mind.

It's kinda spooky that you mentinioned Danish. I had just dug out Withering Surface's demo - Unique and Walking on Phantom Ice to listen to tonight😎 Haven't listened to Mercenary in forever and a day, I'm afraid.

It's been quiet these last few years. Their last output was around 2013 or so, with several band implosions in between.

Withering Surface? Never heard of them, but I'm gonna rectify that. So far, your recommendations have been excellent.

It's been quiet these last few years. Their last output was around 2013 or so, with several band implosions in between.

Withering Surface? Never heard of them, but I'm gonna rectify that. So far, your recommendations have been excellent.

I have several demos from bands all across Europe. Many never got signed despite being really great. Some demo bands that come to mind are: Homicide (Italy), Overlord(Poland), and Sanguinary (Sweden). I need to find me a way to transfer my tapes to mp3 format. Three bands from America were great demo bands: Servent Fear, Death Con 1, and Witch-Hunt. All of them broke up. Adversary, Enthroned, and Deceiver were pretty good, too. I think Enthroned went on to change their name to Enforsaken. 👠👠👠Kant🌹

I need to find me a way to transfer my tapes to mp3 format. 👠👠👠Kant🌹

If you have a dedicated sound card (or at least audio jacks besides a headphone out) on your PC, all you need is a tape deck with a decent line-out and a cable, usually with a 3,5mm audio plug to go into the sound card. As for software, the basic .wav recorder coming with Windows does work, but you'd be better served with an audio program like Audacity which can modify and filter the resulting file. I have archived a set of old audio dramas that way. It's tedious, since you're basically copying the tapes in real time, but having them in digital form is definitely worth the trouble. No more wear and tear on the tapes, for one.

If you have a dedicated sound card (or at least audio jacks besides a headphone out) on your PC, all you need is a tape deck with a decent line-out and a cable, usually with a 3,5mm audio plug to go into the sound card. As for software, the basic .wav recorder coming with Windows does work, but you'd be better served with an audio program like Audacity which can modify and filter the resulting file. I have archived a set of old audio dramas that way. It's tedious, since you're basically copying the tapes in real time, but having them in digital form is definitely worth the trouble. No more wear and tear on the tapes, for one.

Sadly, most of my time is dedicated to makeup, writing, and drawing. Thank God, I have a tape player that still works😎

Today's Metal album: Unleashed - Where no life dwells.👠👠👠Kant🌹

Part of the big four Swedish Death Metal: Dismember, Grave, and Entombed. 😎

Last edited:
Good pick, as always.

Another early classic I love to this day is Massacre's "From Beyond". Double bassdrums rule!

Last edited:
Classic metal album for today: Judas Priest - Screaming for Vengeance

"Painkiller" is hands down one of the best albums of all time, but it has only one widely-known song, whereas this has at least three (and a half). If you're a metalhead and can not at least sing "The Hellion/Electric Eye", "Bloodstone" and "You've Got Another Thing Comin'" even in a drunken stupor, then you really, really need to educate yourself.

:)

Classic metal album for today: Judas Priest - Screaming for Vengeance

"Painkiller" is hands down one of the best albums of all time, but it has only one widely-known song, whereas this has at least three (and a half). If you're a metalhead and can not at least sing "The Hellion/Electric Eye", "Bloodstone" and "You've Got Another Thing Comin'" even in a drunken stupor, then you really, really need to educate yourself.

No complaints there. I fucking love Judas Priest! 😎 Turbo Lover🌹The one band that kicked them out of constant rotation on my playlist was Venom. But, then again, I'm a huge fan of NWOBHM anyway so I'd have to be honest and say Motörhead was in there as well. Judas Priest will always have a special place in my heart. Rob has such a true metal voice like Ozzy and RJD. 🌹

Last edited:
Today's classic metal pick: Helloween - Keeper of the seven keys 1&2👠👠👠Kank🌹
And my favorite song: "I want out".

It is a relatable song for me going back to my high school days in relation to me being a cross dresser/ transvestite. I guess it had as much impact on my choices in life as Twisted Sister's - Stay Hungry album💋

Let's talk Iron Maiden then. Di'Anno, Dickinson or (gasp) Bayley?

My favourite Maiden albums, and I'm probably in a minority here, are "Seventh Son..." and "Somewhere in Time". Along with Manowar's "Fighting the World" they were my first metal albums. By now I have every one of their records, with "Powerslave", "Number of the Beast" and "Killers" rounding out my Maiden top 5.

Last edited:
Let's talk Iron Maiden then. Di'Anno, Dickinson or (gasp) Bayley?

My favourite Maiden albums, and I'm probably in a minority here, are "Seventh Son..." and "Somewhere in Time". Along with Manowar's "Fighting the World" they were my first metal albums. By now I have every one of their records, with "Powerslave", "Number of the Beast" and "Killers" rounding out my Maiden top 5.

I haven't explored very far with Maiden, but I have & love "Seventh Son" and "Number of the Beast". I'd heard them occasionally on the radio (mostly "Number of the Beast", occasionally "Run For The Hills") but this excellent mashup persuaded me to try some more.

So much good music in the world, so little time to listen to it all.

Well this old rocker has had a bit of an education; thanks, people.
I'm more into total silence when I write and the "heavy" metal stuff is more a distraction and an effect ratrher than music.
I'd rather listen to Beethoven, Debussy (via Isao Tomita) these day. Stuff I can sing along to, or whistle.

I can't stand the silence...it's not my friend.

Back