American Sentences

I prefer martinis dry, but make an exception while showering.

Someone's lost silk flower, forlornly red, swirls in a shallow puddle.

Last edited:
Prom date's gardenia, dropped by the side of the road, pin included.

I lie alone beneath this oak, where none but contrition ' s breath is spoke.

Décolletage: a perfected reason for peripheral vision.

I know, not very poetic, but I've strained to keep looking at a woman's eyes enough times to know that it's a species true statement. Or, I guess, a Tzara true statement.

The irony in this is biological. Sharp vision and color vision are the function of cones, which are clustered primarily in the macula of the retina. Peripheral vision (everything else) is largely the function of the rods (uh huh), which "are more numerous, some 120 million, and are more sensitive than the cones. However, they are not sensitive to color."

What I always thought. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
"Holy Christ on a bicycle," Grandma said to me. "Look at them wheels."

Big American kitsch-mobile gliding on a slow undulating highway

Auguste sent Camille mad because Claudel was a better sculptor than Rodin

A damp starburst on the sunbather’s gusset suggests she’s ready for plucking

NEWS FLASH: There are as many people alive today as have ever lived.

Big American kitsch-mobile gliding on a slow undulating highway

Auguste sent Camille mad because Claudel was a better sculptor than Rodin

A damp starburst on the sunbather’s gusset suggests she’s ready for plucking

NEWS FLASH: There are as many people alive today as have ever lived.
hey, bogus :)

i'm having trouble reconciling the imagery in that third A.S: starburst - i can see the radiating shape and link it with the ocean via 'starfish'. 'sunbather's gusset' doesn't have to mean bikini bottom, but that's where my mind goes with heat, sunbather, and damp. so we're talking primal as the ocean, the stuff of life (which can link back through starburst as in 'we're all made of stardust') and this then jars against 'plucking' which suggests ripe fruit (rather than chickens,lol).

hey, bogus :)

i'm having trouble reconciling the imagery in that third A.S: starburst - i can see the radiating shape and link it with the ocean via 'starfish'. 'sunbather's gusset' doesn't have to mean bikini bottom, but that's where my mind goes with heat, sunbather, and damp. so we're talking primal as the ocean, the stuff of life (which can link back through starburst as in 'we're all made of stardust') and this then jars against 'plucking' which suggests ripe fruit (rather than chickens,lol).

To explain it would kill the surrealistic quality of it butters.:rolleyes:

Nice meandering thoughts though.:)

stream runs low, clear; halfway up the bank a rusty trolley, draped in weed.

numbers soar, bodies and brains in trouble; have you no unions, cobbers? :eek:

I can’t have you. That’s given. I can still think about your opened thighs.

Wallace is a ghost strolling on my poem's horizon: what are the odds?

None, I'd say because he was an atheist, although I suspect you knew that which makes Walllace into something different than what is said. I'm not a big fan of short poetry, but if I'm correct, this says a lot more than what it says.

None, I'd say because he was an atheist, although I suspect you knew that which makes Walllace into something different than what is said. I'm not a big fan of short poetry, but if I'm correct, this says a lot more than what it says.

I was thinking of Wallace Stevens and his work as an insurance analyst, so the "odds" was also a play on that.

I don't know how well I'm succeeding but I find this American Sentence remarkable in its flexibility. I never liked writing haiku because I didn't feel an affinity for it, but this form has really grabbed my attention.

I was thinking of Wallace Stevens and his work as an insurance analyst, so the "odds" was also a play on that.

I don't know how well I'm succeeding but I find this American Sentence remarkable in its flexibility. I never liked writing haiku because I didn't feel an affinity for it, but this form has really grabbed my attention.

*Must NOT think Wallace and Gromit*

Back