Morgan Manor

wideeyedone

Baby did a bad, bad thing
Joined
Jan 5, 2007
Posts
7,070
(closed for LordLuck and Wideeyedone)

Katherine Marston had never been so happy as she was on her wedding day. Her parents had both died when she was a child. She and her fortune had been cared for by her gentle grandfather since her parents passing. He was a kind man, but very quiet and too elderly to be much company to a young child.

Katherine, or Katie as her grandfather called her, was a beauty. Her long dark hair, framed her porcelain face. She was petite and her features were delicate, except for her big brown doe-like eyes. Lord Benjamin Morgan had fallen in love with her the moment he saw her from across the room. She had been in a gathering of young women, making them laugh as she told them a story. He asked her to dance and three months later, he asked her grandfather for her hand in marriage.


The wedding had been small but romantic. Her grandfather gave her away and the ceremony was witnessed by Lord James Morgan, the groom’s elder brother. Both men were dashing and handsome. But James was brooding and aloof, where Benjamin was charming and effusive. He wanted the whole world to know he was in love with his Katie. After the wedding her belongings were crated up and they traveled to Morgan Manor. Her dowry was secured into the Morgan treasury and the lovebirds traveled the English countryside wrapped in each other’s arms.

Benjamin carried his bride over the threshold. He had had several lovers, but he knew his Katie was chaste. He took her to his bed chamber and kissed and coaxed and reassured her until he had her petite form undressed. He adored her body in ways she had never imagined. He unpinned her hair and watched it fall around her bare shoulders. He kissed her delicate skin from her throat to her silky calves and everywhere in between. She only whimpered a little when he pressed inside of her for the first time. He kissed her, covering her mouth as he took her maidenhead. But she was a responsive lover and soon, her body writhed beneath his in pleasure.

And that is how the first months of their marriage progressed. Katie made herself at home in the manor, supervising the staff and filling her days with books and needlework while James and Benjamin took care of the lands and the tenants.

Katie tried to get to know James, but he sort of frightened her. He seemed to glare at her and his good looks were imposing. He was very handsome and had a reputation for being a scandalous rake. But Katie remained friendly and always made sure to ask before she took books from his study.

That morning, Benjamin had kissed her goodbye as she read by the fireplace. There was a tenant who was behind on his rent and there were rumors he was feeding his family by pilfering from the Morgan herds of sheep. Benjamin was going to visit the man, to straighten out the problem. Katie nodded as he told her, but she didn’t look up from her book. She whispered an “I love you.” She didn’t know it would be her last chance to see Benjamin.

She would never forget the horse hooves pounding in the courtyard or the loud voices. It was Myers, one of the Morgan family servants. There was blood on his shirt when he came barreling through the door asking for Lord James. Katie had stood but she was terrified to go to the door. In her heart, she knew that something terrible had happened. She knew it was Benjamin.

Mrs. Myers, the housekeeper, was at her side. Clucking about getting her a cup of tea, or having her go to her bed. But Katie couldn’t move.

“The Doctor should be called.” Katie managed to make her voice work. But Myers just lowered his head. That is when Katie began to cry, the sob ripping through her chest.

“Yes, the Doctor should be called. For Lady Morgan.” Mrs. Meyers corrected her husband. Minutes later the doctor arrived. Mrs. Meyers fed her sips of a warm bitter drink and the world melted away. She could hear Lord James interrogating someone about Benjamin, but that was worlds away. Katie was sucked into a dark drowning slumber.
 
For the longest of moments, despair, regret and terror filled Lord James Morgan's mind. How could have it happened? His brother now laid down in immense, unspeakable pain... if he had not departed already. But what had happened, after all? The man that had found and brought his brother home was babbling uncomprehensibly as he tried to explain what had brought him towards the lone hamlet. The man told him he had seen movement, heard the rough noise of a bullet being shot by a pistol, and then the gushing of a knife, repeatedly. There were groans as if a fight had gone... and the man found his brother, brutalished, bleeding to his death with numberless stab wounds.

"Have you seen the assaultant?", he asked roughly as he rubbed his forehead with his long fingers. What he would tell their mother? Heavens, what he would tell Katherine? That her love and husband was killed by some unknown brigand and footpad?

"No, my lord. Well, actually...", the rough peasant started to talk, waving his hay hat on his hands, worried.

"Yes?"

"I think it was a couple of men, sir.", he said, wrinkling his forehead as he spoke. "It was a larger one, that beat and tried to hold him in place while a smaller one was digging a carving knife on his belly." he added with sweat running down his cheeks. "Both runned when I cried, but they could have easily overpowered me, but instead they runned into the woods."

"I'll have that place scoured. Burned if needed be!", he roared in fury. "Mr. Myers! Call the guards and Mr. Winslow. And take Mr. Jacob with you, I'll need him nearby to talk to me... about a reward for his service."

Taking their leave, the two men left him to his sorrow. What could he do? The Doctor had said there was not much to do except to try their best to suture his many woulds, and leave the rest in the hands of God. God! Had the Heavens protected his brother, nothing would be like this! Slowly, he walked through the rooms, going to meet his sister-in-law. She would be heartbroken when she heard the terrible news.

Finding her lying almost asleep on the fine couch that adorned their Manor's Library, Lord Morgan walked the room slowly, making almost no noise with his steps. Laying over the small, fancy stool before her, the older man laid a hand over her long, lithe... sensual leg in order to wake her up.

"Katherine?"
 
The sleeping draught had taken Katherine to a deep dream. She was in Benjamin's arms. They were in the carriage traveling to Morgan Manor. Benjamin had her in his lap and he was kissing her neck and whispering in her ear, talking to her about his dreams of their life together.

Then she felt a warm hand on her calf. She sat up immediately.
"Benjamin?" She cried out softly. It took a few minutes for Katie's eyes to focus. It was James and he looked deeply troubled.

"Can I see him? How bad is it?" She whispered. Her hands shook even as she asked. She made herself get up. She felt unsteady on her feet, the sedatives still in her veins.

The house was still. She could hear some of the servants crying.

"Please James. I have to know." She placed her hand on his arm for support. She tried to be strong, to be the sort of wife that Benjamin deserved, but her sorrow was overwhelming. She could read James' face and she knew that her love was gone or would be soon. A sob bubbled up in her throat and she found herself against James' broad chest crying like a child.
 
James knew not what to tell Katherine. He knew not how to tell it to her. It pained his heart tremendously to see the fair Katie crying over his chest, soating his coat and shirt in her tears. He held her there for a moment, awaiting for her to calm down. If he'd delivered the news like this, the girl could have a seizure or worse. So for the time being, he merely held her tight against his chest, his hand coming to embrace her and caress her long mane.

"There, there...", he whispered as he tried to gulp down his own tears. For the moment, he awaited Katherine to end her outburst of tears. Long seconds passed as Lord James held her against his chest, sensing the scent of her hair. His brother had been a lucky, lucky man to find such a loving beauty for himself.

As she finally seemed to control her sobbing, James sat her down over the couch, sitting himself by her while hold her hands between his. He stared at her beautiful eyes, knowing that she would read his words before he uttered them.

"Katherine.", he said as his heart turned his sorrow into fury. "I swear to you that I'll do all I can to avenge the both of us.", his words were spoke with such conviction that none would dissuade the man.

"It is... ugly. Very, very bad, Katie, I'm sorry.", he said as his eyes filled with tears again, but he managed to hold them. "The doctor is doing what he can, but warned that we should have little hope. Ben was stabbed, Katherine. More than 15 times."
 
Katie made her self control her tears. She looked up at James and wiped her tears away.

"James, I don't want him to be alone. I know it may be brutal, but I want to see him. I want to hold his hand. He has to know that I still love him."

James lead her to the darkened bed chamber where the doctor had sutured Benjamin's wounds. He had been given laudanum to dull his pain. Katie held her breath as she entered the room. Benjamin was not concious and his breathing was labored. The doctor stood at the foot of the bed. Katie knelt beside the bed and took her love's hand. She pressed her lips to his cold fingers.

She would not leave his side. The lamps were lit and she stayed during the night whispering prayers and declarations of her love. A few times, Benjamin cried out in pain, and he even uttered Katie's name.

Katie did her best to be brave, she did not allow herself to sob. She didn't want to upset Benjamin. But silent tears dripped down her face. They brought tea for her, but she didn't drink it. She just wanted to stay with Benjamin, from the gurgling sounds in his breathing she knew that he didn't have long.
 
Lord James wished to stay with his dying brother, but he could not. He had a property to manage, and a murder to solve. As he left Katherine holding his brother's arms, he walked towards the Estate's front yard, knowing that Mr. Myers would have not failed him. Indeed, the Keeper knew his tasks well, and as Morgan stepped outside, staying over the marble stairs that lead down to the front grassyard, Mr. Winslow and all his guards and sentries were there. All of them.

"Mr. Winslow.", he nodded in acknowledgement to the older man. He was wearing a breeched coat of an antiquated design. Winslow had served in the King's Army many years ago, and even now he kept his ancient uniform clean and ready to use. "I want the whole property scoured. Every woodland, every bush must be searched. I want the two bastards that passed my brother to the blade here, alive, so I'll skin them myself. Are we clear, Winslow?"

"Aye, sir. Immediately."

James himself would join the chase, but he had to remain her. He had to take care of the Estate, and of his brother's wife... or widow. He hated to think about Benjamin already being dead, but he was a realist. There was nothing that he could do to save his brother now. What of Katherine? She would be left alone in this word, a pennyless widow.

On another room, a man's breathing halted to a stop.
 
Katie heard his breathing slow. She rested her head on his shoulder, careful not to cause him any more pain. The wet, labored sounds of his halting breath made it clear to her how much pain he was in, even after the laudanum the doctor had poured down his throat.

"I will be all right, Benjamin." She whispered against him. She whispered promises that she take care of herself and promises that she would love him forever. And then she held her breath for a moment and she heard his breath stop.

She sent the doctor and the servant from the room. She laid her head back on his shoulder and cried. She held his fingers in her own until they started to not feet warm.

How could this have happened? How could this have fallen upon a man that lived with such kindness? She closed her eyes trying to soak in every memory that she could. She wanted to remember the feel of his jacket under cheek, the smell of him, the feel of his fingertips. It was all she had left.
 
As he had just laid down his order, and was returning inside, the day was coming to end. The sun had dissapeared beyond the mountains of the horizon, although the sky was still crimson and the night was yet to begun. Mrs. Myers appeared, and laid the terrible news for him.

Morgan runned through the rooms to where he could find his brother. His departed brother. And he found the sad scene of Katherine laying her head above the corpse of his beloved Benjamin, crying and sobbing so much that his heart would break if anymore was taken.

Lord James felt stripped of all but his humanity as he saw the scene, desolated. He had to take her out of here. She was messing herself, and the blood from his wounds was just about to flow agains her face. He had to act. Taking upon his hands to lay over Katherine's shoulders, James started to pull her away from the... mangled body that had once been a brother to him.

"Kat... Kat... leave it."
 
Katie could feel James strong hands on her shoulder.

"I don't want him to be alone..." She whispered hoarsely. Her voice almost gone from her crying. Her hair had fallen down from its pins and was framing her face. She looked like a girl instead of a widow.

She allowed James to lead her away. His strong hands holding hers. She felt his hand slide under her elbow. She felt unsteady on her feet.

"Why would someone hurt him?" Katie's voice was desperate. But there were no answers. She stopped talking and choked back her tears. She knew she was making a scene. She had to get control of herself.

The housekeeper met them in the foyer.

"Lord James, shall I brew some tea? Or perhaps uncork something stronger? Lady Katherine isn't one to drink spirits normally, but it might be called for, my Lord."
 
"Good call, Bring us the Brandy. She needs some burning down her throat."

As the housekeep left the both of them alone, Katherine could finally see that Lord James himself was in tears, although he managed not to sob whatsoever, the tears could not be held into his eyes. He approached his sister-in-law, the now widowed woman, and hugged her tight. So very tight.

"He won't be alone. He's with us right now.", he tried to goad her into a little bit better feeling. His hand brushed against the back of her neck, rubbing against her skin, showing as he hair had been previously arranged into a tall hairstyle.

"I swear, Kat, I've already sent men to seek the involved. I'll have the responsibles hanged right on the from Court, outside the Estate Gates. I'll gut them and poke their eyes. I'll break their knees."

He spoke furiously, for a moment forgetting he was talking but to a young woman.
 
Katherine did her best to calm herself.

"I am so sorry, James. " The housekeeper came back with the brandy for her. Katherine took a small sip and it burned down her throat.

"Drink it up, my Lady. Just swallow it, it will help."

Katherine did as she was told. The warm brandy slid down her throat and heated her from the inside out.

One of the stable boys awkwardly stood in the doorway.

"My Lord, the constable is back. He says he's got something to tell you." The boy was almost shaking he was so nervous.

Katherine assured James that she would be fine. The housekeeper took her arm and led her upstairs. She laid down on her bed. The pillow still smelled like Benjamin. She did her best to close her eyes and just be. She didn't want to cause James any more trouble when he needed to be looking for the men that killed her love.
 
Lord James took upon the goblet of his, taking a long sip that emptied the glass of it's whole content. He would need many of those in the days to come.

"More.", he demanded. Somehow, rather than cloud his judgement, the swill was making his see the things more clearly, and adjusted his mood into a more rational, less emotional thinking. He took upon the refilled globet once more, ended it in one swing, and discarded the glass to the housekeeper.

Walking down the corridors of the Manor, James noticed how the servants stood out of his way, perhaps frightened by the prospect of being under his gaze if he exploded in fury as he used to do every now and them. He reached the vestibulum, and beckoned for the Constable to enter the room. It would be hardly proper to receive the authority outside, as if he was an unwanted guest.

"Come, good Constable. Come, Owen, to my Office. There we may talk properly."
 
Katie tried to sleep, even with the brandy in her veins, she couldn't rest. She pulled on Benjamin's coat. She curled up inside the warm fabric. She slipped down the staircase and then slipped out into the gardens. The sun had begun to set. The night air was cool, she pulled the coat tightly around her. She found a quiet corner and just tried to let the peace of the garden settle over her soul. She closed her eyes.

She heard footsteps behind her. But before she could speak, she felt a gloved hand cover her mouth. Strong arms were clamped around her. She struggled against the hold, but it was impossible for her to get free.

"You little spoiled miss, out strolling in the garden. I wonder if you will bleed just like your husband." She screamed against his hand, and then she felt a blade pressed to her throat. She stayed still for just a moment. Even though she was terrified that her husband's killer had his hands on her, she was even more enraged that this man had harmed Benjamin, had stolen him.

She bit his hand as hard as she could but through the gloves it didn't hurt him. He took the knife and tore away at her dress. She began to struggle against his hold as hard as she could. She felt the knife scrape the skin of her chest, but it didn't stop her. She squirmed and got free just long enough to scream. She screamed with all she had.

The voice behind her cursed. She grabbed at his hands and she whimpered when she cut her fingers on his blade. She heard footsteps rushing from the house. Her attacker pushed her to the ground and ran.
 
“You dog, you fiend!”, a voice bellowed loud and powerful from the steps that lead from the Manor downwards to the Garden. The unknown attacker was running along the garden, trying to reach the living labyrinth where he could hid and hopefully escape. “You bastard, coward, son of a b…”. the last roaring curse was muffled by the loud scream of a pistol being fired. It was loud like a thunder, like the scream of the neighbouring city’s bell, high in the church’s campanarium.

Katherine could finally notice who had done so. It was James. The brother of her beloved, her departed love, the one that would save her from the same killer that had claimed her husband just hours ago and had foolishly come for her as well. A cry came from the assailant, who limped before falling down to the ground. Still, he tried to drag his carcass over the floor and to disappear into the garden, but it was still too far for him to reach it.

Lord Morgan runned downstairs and towards Katherine, his dark coats flowing around him like an exquistive cape as the Constable and two of his guards runned down the stairs and the gardens in order to reach the felled man. “Stop in the name of the King!”, the Constable cried as he pulled his saber from it’s scabbard. It was a seldom used weapon nowadays, but still some militia held their dearly, a reminder of their youth, of their days serving in the Army properly before finally retiring. The guards bore their muskets, both trying to fix their bayonets while running towards the man, on his fours and bleeding, cursing all the while.

Another figure came out of the shadows. The guards fumbled their bayonets, knowing better than to recklessly fire as James had done. He was in his property and defending his right to protect it through violence if needed, but the Constable and his guards were other thing. They could not if not explicitly ordered, and James was far more occupied into reaching Katherine than with the men that now strode rather than runned to fetch the criminal, being helped by other knave to escape.

James had felt on his knees as he pulled Katherine against his chest into a tight embrace, the fumegating pistol still in his right hand as he hugged her. “Kat, Kat, are you ok? Are you hurt, damn it, my Kat, were you harmed?”, he said completely dumbfolded, asking. The both footpads tried to run, disappearing momentaneously into the labyrinth just seconds after being chased by the guards and the Constable himself.
 
Katie clung to James in utter relief. Her heart was pounding. Her fingers were bleeding where she had grabbed the blade and the bodest of her dress was torn open, displaying not only the knife marks across her chest, but the tops of her heaving breasts.

"He cut me, but I think I am alright. I just wanted a moment in the garden. I just wanted to clear my head." Kat's voice was trembling. She tried to hold her dress closed with her uninjured hand. James took out his handkerchief and pressed it to her bleeding fingers. She was trembling with shock.

The housekeeper came running out into the garden.
"Lord James, I sent a maid for the doctor." She was breathless and flustered. Her grey hair coming down from its pins.

Katie looked up at her. She tried to get up. She struggled to get to her feet. She felt light headed and when she looked at her fingers and the cut on her chest she felt faint. She crumpled against James in a faint.
 
James caught Katherine on his arms, letting go of the fumegating pistol. His arms wrapped kindly yet tightly around the woman as he cried for the housekeeper to help him with Lady Katherine's fainted body. She had grown limp so quickly. The woman returned inside to seek the Doctor that was still in the Manor. Taking Katherine into his arms, Lord James strode upwards the stairs and into the house, careful not to bash the woman's head against the door nor the walls.

Taking her towards the kitchen, a place that would be completely empty right now and should be as clean as possible - a trait that both him and Lady Katherine herself had been enforcing from the maids and cooks - and carefully laid Katherine upon the main table. The ambient was divided by a stone counter and a long, wooden table where the cooks would prepare meals and the staff would eat togheter. Luckly, it was spotless.

The Doctor finally appeared. "Blast it all." James bellowed "Where were you when you are needed, Doctor Hereford?", he censured the man for no reason. He was almost in despair, but after half an hour, the Doctor had finally assured Lord James that the cuts would heal fairly quickly as they were only superficial. She would not even need to sew points to close the low cuts, meaning she would be fine sooner rather than later.

After long, long hours, Lord James stood along by Katherine when she was taken upstairs to her room, to the bed she had once shared with Benjamin. She was all of his family now.
 
Kat looked at the bandages on her fingers. She could remember the sound of her attacker's voice and the feel of the cold steel biting into her skin.

"Why would someone want to hurt Benjamin?" She whispered. "His voice was so full of venom. He never hurt anyone. He never wished anyone ill."

She looked over at James who had taken a watchful post in a chair next to her bed. She looked over at James, he looked so tired and so worried.

She snuggled down into the bed, tucking her hands beneath her cheek.

"I don't know that I can sleep in here alone. I miss him so." She whispered. But James just told her to sleep. She took a deep breath and tried to focus on feeling safe. She blinked and took a few deep breaths and before she knew it, she was asleep. She awoke in the morning, the sun was peeking in from the behind the curtains. James was asleep in the chair beside her. His large frame stretched out, his legs crossed at the ankles.

Kat slipped from the bed as quietly as she could. She got behind the modesty screen she had never used with Benjamin. She took off her torn gown and replaced it with a dark grey day dress. She did her best to comb out her hair and make herself presentable. She didn't want to spend another day crying and fainting and being in need. She wanted to help James find Benjamin's killer.
 
Lord James was quite asleep, but at the least stirr of Katherine's body, he woke up. Still, he remained with his eyes slightly closed, paying attention to the room. After that attack over her in their garden right before the Manor's stairwell, he would never leave her side. She was the only thing that remained for him as a family, now. They would grieve Benjamin togheter.

However, James Morgan was still a virile man. He could not ignore it as she stood up and had the respect and care to dissapear after the almost see-through screen, allowing only shadows of her lithe sillouette to appear. Yet, James stared. He watched it all. For a moment, Lord Morgan was no Lord, Lady Katherine was no noblewoman. She was only a gorgeous woman, undressing herself and carefully dressing up in her garbs, and he stared at her through slightly-shut eyes, trying to catch every detail.

For James had wished and desired Katherine before losing her for his brother. Benjamin had won and bested his older brother regarding Katherine, a youthful passion for the both young men. However, when Ben had the courage to ask her before James could even plan doing it, Lord Morgan ahd decided not to participate. He had the credit for acting first, so from that day on Katherine was his Sister, and not an elligible wife anymore. Yet... now, that Ben was gone... James felt that possibility trying to bloom into his heart. What if it was now possible?

So he closed his eyes. If he was to be woken, let it be Katherine. She would understand he was tired from his sleepless vigil. She would understand that he only wished her good, now. Like a lover. Like a friend. More than a mere brother.
 
Katherine watched James sleep in his chair, keeping his vigil beside her bed. She rested her hand on his shoulder. She didn't want to wake him, she just wanted to offer him some comfort, she had lost her love, but he had also lost his brother.

She slipped from the room quietly and took the stairs with light steps. The housekeeper was stoking the fires.

"Lady Morgan, I am glad to see you are alright. You had me and Lord Morgan frightened." The housekeeper went about her business. The wake was today and the house would have to be ready for visitors. The priest would be coming and all of the gentry in the county, many of the tenants would stop by to pay their respects and everyone would need to be fed.

Katherine decided to help in the kitchen. If she was kneading bread and cooking she wouldn't have to think about Benjamin, and she wouldn't have to think about what was going to become of her.
 
When James had finally chosen to take himself off the chair, he had Mr. Winslow summoned upstairs as he headed out straight for his room. Sleeping while sitting was simply terrible on anyone's back, and his was not in the best shape after all. He had heard Lady Katherine going downstairs, possibly heading out to mourn his brother. Still... he was tired. Just so tired. The restless sleep had Benjamin visiting his mind, pleading for him not to seek out vengeance... but rather to seek out Katherine's well-being. He wished his beloved wife to life on in the Morgan Household.

That was actually not a good idea. After all, keeping a widow would be quite an expensive and fruitless enterprise, Lord Morgan knew. He loved Katherine, of course, and would never consider evicting the young woman, but a widown unmarried usually meant she was a woman that would not bear children - and heirs are needed, both to continue the bloodline and heritage... and to fetch new political alliances.

With Ben's passing away... many troubles would come to the Morgans. As soon as Mr. Winslow reached the bedroom where James had decided to lay down, the older man looked upon him with a rather stern figure. "My Lord...". he greeted.

"Report, Mr. Winslow. What happened? Did any of the Constable's men managed to get the fiends?"

"Huh... Yes. One of them, My Lord, is under custody. The other was shot down, but managed to escape. It was incredible, sire. He took three bullets and yet managed to run still. It was... It was devil's work! Foul play!"
 
Katherine worked in the kitchens for most of the morning. The ovens were full and the pots were brimming. The work felt good, her mind and her hands were busy. The women in the kitchen were chatting about their men and their children and the goings on in the village.

She did her best not think about Ben. She tried not to think about the wake, and the visitors that would be coming.

Kat smoothed some stray strands of hair out of her face. She heard the constable and Lord Morgan on the stairs.

"My lady, I heard that they captured someone." The housekeeper whispered.
 
And so they had managed to. The Constable had the man taken down into irons towards one of the Stable's bay. The man had been lowered over the hay, the scent of the blood that trickled down from his chest through the holes that bullets had punctured through his shirt making the horses whine loudly in anxiety.

They could sense the smell of death already creeping into this one's heart. He mumbled and moaned while he was dragged unceremoniously towards the middle of the Stable grounds, where Lord Morgan looked down upon the poor bastard with stone, cold eyes.

"So, you are the dog.", he told the criminal that had shot or stabbed his brother. He could not care less on how. Ben had been murdered by this... this footpad. He would snap his neck himself if the Constable and his guards were not around, holding the weak man on his knees.
 
Katherine fled to kitchen. She went out the back door and heard yelling from the stables. She had to see who had killed her love. She picked up her skirts and rushed to the stables.

James was standing over the man. The constable and his men were standing guard.

"Lord James, is this the murderer?" She asked sharply. Katherine tried to look brave, but her pallor showed how frightened he was.

Katherine looked at the man cowering before James. He looked small and weak. How could this have happened.
 
"Kat...", Lord Morgan spoke as he tried to prevent her from laying eyes upon the brigand that had claimed her husband's life. "...Lady Katherine, please.", he told her as he approached her, taking her hand gently yet firmly.

"...Yes. He is one of the men that attacked Ben.", he told her in a rather hushed tone. He was probably the man that had held the knife against her neck, foolishly trying to earn something out of her. What could have the man wanted? Her honor? To curse her as well as soil her?

"He is very weak. The soldiers found him, and my shot hit him true between the ribs. He will not endure the night.", he told her with a surprising sense of satisfaction. He had half-avenged his brother - but one of his murderers still stood.
 
Katherine allowed James to hold her arms tightly. She wasn't sure she wanted to see the murderer.

"Has he said why they killed him? Has he named his accomplice?" Her voice was soft but she was not shying away. She just wanted her questions to remain between her and him.

She made no move to leave the stables. James' hands felt good clasped around her arms. She didn't want to leave him.
 
Back
Top