The AH Recipe Book

Pumpkin Puree
(substitute in recipes calling for packed pumpkin)

1.) Go to market. Farmer's markets are best, if you can find one and pumpkins are grown locally.

2.) Find pumpkins and winter squash selection.

3.) Buy one small "pie-pumpkin" as a security blanket. Buy a huge pumpkin for Halloween carving. Remember, in the south, this will rot immediately upon sitting on doorstep in the 90F heat, so plan accordingly. :rolleyes:

4.) Now comes the hardest part: selecting the squash. If the farmer is around, let him talk you into the right selection. My favorite is cushaw. It has fantastic flavor and lots of meat for the work. I've also used butternut, and to give a nod to pumpkins, I've used cheesepie pumpkins, but they're costly. But don't worry, if you aren't ready to become a pumpkin/squash snob like me, any pumpkin will work, and a day after Halloween, here in the States, you can get one for bargain basement pricing.

5.) Wash off outside of pumpkin.

6.) Turn oven on to something. I never think about it, but I guess for US folks that would be about 350F (don't have my converter up, but guessing 180C?)

7.) Now comes the second hardest part: cut the squash down the middle. Scrape out the seeds and strings.

8.) Unlike almost all of the recipes and advice you'll get, put a small amount of water (1 or 2 cups) in a large covered roasting pan, and place the squash CUT SIDE UP (yes, that's UP), and cover. Call me crazy, but it seems that a lot of goodness is in the liquid that comes out during baking, and I can't bear to part with it. I guess, if you must, bake it upside down and throw out the precious, nutritious liquid for a thicker mash.

9.) Bake until fork tender, just as you would a baked potato. Different thicknesses will take different amounts of time.

10.) While hot, scrape the squash out and puree in either a blender or food processor in small batches and store in freezer bags or containers until needed for holiday cooking.

Yes, done this way the puree is a lot runnier than canned pumpkin. In a standard pie recipe, my pies are ALWAYS firm in spite of never adjusting. In breads and cookies, I add a little more flour or take out a little oil or water.

[shrug] nobody complains, so it must be alright. ;)
 
Last edited:
Kick Butt Burgers

(makes 4 burgers)

1 pnd. lean ground beef
1/4 cup bread crumbs
8 dashes worchestershire sauce
1/2 tblsp. ground black pepper
6-8 dashes hot pepper sauce.

Work ingredients together well and divide into 4 equal parts, (1/4 lb. ea.)
Shape into a ball and press firmly with hands to compress it.
Pat the meat flat with fingers into patty and let chill in fridge for 15 min. to set
BBQ on high heat for 7 min. first side, 5 minutes on second side.
Add sliced swiss cheese and caramelized onions for garnish.
 
Great Pumpkin Cheesecake

I can't take credit for this; it's from Canadian Living Magazine, October 2003. I've made it every year since then, though and it's an easy-to-follow, tasty recipe.


Base:
1 ½ c. graham wafer crumbs
¼ c. butter, softened
2 Tbsp. packed brown sugar


Filling:
4 eggs
1 c. packed brown sugar
500g cream cheese
1 can (398 mL) pumpkin (1.6 US cups if you are using the pumpkin puree)
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
½ tsp each ground cloves and grated nutmeg

Base: In a food processor, combine crumbs, butter and sugar; pat into 9-inch springform pan. Set aside in refrigerator.

Filling: In a food processor, blend eggs with sugar until dissolved. Add cream cheese, pumpkin, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and nutmeg; blend until smooth. Pour onto prepared crust. Bake in 350F oven until firm to the touch around the edge but still slightly jiggly in centre, about 45 minutes. Let cool; refrigerate for 8 hours (minimum) or up to 24 hours.


Serve topped with whipped cream.


Makes 10-12 servings (Per 12 servings, about 424 calories, 7g protein, 29g total fat (17g saturated fat) 37g carb, 1g fibre, 145 mL chol, 282 mg sodium. %RDI: 8% calcium, 16% iron, 98% vit A, 3% vit C, 12% folate)
 
Citrus Vinaigrette

1 large orange, juice and zest
1 large lemon, juice and zest
¼ c extra-virgin olive oil
½ tsp honey

Combine all ingredients, shake well.
 
If (when) you find that a zucchini squash or two has gotten away from you and has grown large enough to use against a midnight intruder, slice it lengthwise about a quarter inch thick. Brush the slices with olive oil and brown in the broiler. The cooked slices make an excellent substitute for eggplant in the traditional eggplant Parmesan recipe. HM would tell you it's better. (She's not terribly fond of eggplant.)
 
Cold Lentil Salad


INGREDIENTS
1 cup lentils
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
Salt
Fresh-ground black pepper
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions
3 tablespoons chopped parsley (I like chopped tomatoes and goat cheese)

PREPARATION
1. Sort and rinse the lentils. Cover with water by 3 inches and bring to a boil. Turn down to a simmer and cook until tender all the way through (adding more water if necessary), about 30 minutes. Drain and reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid.

2. Toss the lentils with the wine vinegar, salt, and fresh-ground black pepper. Let sit for 5 minutes. Taste and add more salt and vinegar if needed.

3. Add the extra-virgin olive oil, scallions, and parsley. Stir to combine. If the lentils seem dry and are hard to stir, loosen them with a bit of the reserved cooking liquid.

VARIATIONS
Add 1/2 cup diced tomato.

Garnish with 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese.

Dice 1/4 cup flavorful sweet peppers, season with salt, and let stand to soften. Stir in with the scallions or shallots.

Refrigerate
 
Up Yer Kilt!

2 oz. single malt Scotch
2 oz. Drambuie
4 oz. ginger beer
two ice cubes

stir briskly and enjoy
 
Up Yer Kilt!

2 oz. single malt Scotch
2 oz. Drambuie
4 oz. ginger beer
two ice cubes

stir briskly and enjoy

I prefer my single malt straight and undiluted.

How about this for Fruit Cup:

1 bottle London Gin
1 bottle red wine preferably Bordeaux
1 bottle Slivovitz *
Grapes, orange slices
Increase quantities to allow enough for all guests.

Serve in half-pint glasses

*140 proof if you can get it.

Watch your guests gradually sit down and fall asleep.

That was my brother's recipe. I'd brought him the Slivovitz but he thought it was white wine, not high proof spirit. It brought a peripatetic dinner to an abrupt halt.

Og

PS. "Peripatetic dinner"? A dinner in a small community where you met at one house for the soup or starters, walk to another for the main course, to another for the dessert or cheese and biscuits, and finish up at a fourth house for coffee and liqueurs. My brother and his wife hosted the main course. My brother served the fruit cup while the main course was being served. No one managed to get to the next house for the dessert.
 
Last edited:
Bean Burritos

1 bag of dried pinto beans
1 pork chop with a bit of fat on it and on the bone
2 tbsps of salt
1 tbsp of sugar
1 tbsp of soda
8 burrito-sized flour tortillas
1 packet of shredded pepper jack cheese
1 bottle of Red Bull hot sauce
1 bottle of your favorite salsa

Cook your pinto beans for several hours over low heat stirring frequently. Season with the pork chop to add flavor, combined with the salt, sugar, soda. When the beans are nice and tender and there is a bit of soup in the pot, remove the beans from the heat, cover them and let them rest for about two hours.

After the beans rest, smush them up with a spoon. Open up your tortillas, put some beans inside them, add cheese and hot sauce to taste. EAT!
 
Oyster Toast

Fresh loaf of French bread
As many fresh oysters on the half shell, as you would like to eat or share
Your favorite butter

Cut bread in half inch slices
Make dime sized hole in center of each slice
Butter slices

Place one slice butter side down
Place half shell oyster on top
(hole to hold oyster shell steady)
Place slice on top of oyster
Butter side up
Fill hole with scrap pieces
repeat
Cook in 350 degree oven
10 minutes or more depending on oven
Toast will be browned and crisp
Hold pan level when removing
to keep juices from spilling out of the shells
 
Oatmeal Pancakes (Recipe #1)

These are packed with the nutrition of a bowl of Eat-Clean oatmeal and more!


2 1/2 c. dry rolled oats, not instant, not steel cut
6 egg whites
1 c. skim, soy, almond, rice or other milk
1 Tbsp ground flaxseed
1 Tbsp safflower oil
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
Nonfat cooking spray

1. Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor.
2. Blend the mixture for 20 seconds. The resulting mixture should be smooth.
3. Spray a griddle or skillet with cooking spray.
4. Heat over medium heat.
5. Pour 1/4 cup of pancake mixture on the hot surface.
6. Cook until the panckes are dry and bubbly on the edges. Bubbles should appear on top, as well.
7. Turn and brown the other side.

Note: Sometimes, I use unsweetened applesauce as a sweetener -- not maple syrup.

YIELD Makes 12 small pancakes. Serve 4 small pancakes per serving.

NUTRIENTS PER SERVING

Calories: 427
Fat: 11.2 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Carbs: 59 g
Protein: 24.2 g
Fiber: 9.5 g
 
Here's one for either a late breakfast, a hearty brunch or a different sort of side dish with supper.


OATMEAL PANCAKES
Ingredients:

1 1/8 c. milk
1 c. old-fashioned oatmeal
2 tbsp. oil
2 lg. eggs, beaten
1 c. whole wheat flour
1 tbsp. brown sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt

Procedure:

Combine the milk and rolled oats in bowl and let them stand at least 5 minutes. Add the oil and beaten eggs, mixing well. then stir in the flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder. Stir just until the dry ingredients are moistened. Bake on a hot lightly oiled griddle using 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake. Turn them when the top is bubbly and the edges are lightly dry. Freezes well.

Serves 2-3.
 
Polynesian Pot Roast

4-5 lb roast-- some marbling is ok
2 cups water
1 cup soy sauce
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup vinegar (balsamic works best)
1 clove of garlic, chopped
1-2 chicken boullion cubes

Combine in a slow cooker, and cook on low the first day 6 to 8 hours.
Turn off and cool, then remove roast from sauce and refrigerate separately.
The next day, skim the solid fat off teh top and discard, ten combine meat and sauce in slow cooker, and cook another 4 to 6 hours.

thicken with a corn starch rue. Serve over rice with soft bread.
 
Red Lentil soup

1 1/2 Tbsps olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
2 carrots, chopped (1 cup)
1/2 cup chopped fresh or canned tomato
1 celery rib, chopped
1 1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup dried red lentils
4 cups water
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
2 Tbsps chopped fresh parsley
2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice, or to taste

Heat oil in a 4 to 5 quart heavy saucepan over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then sauté onion, stirring, until golden, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, carrots, tomato, celery, cumin, and salt and sauté, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add lentils, water, and broth and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until lentils are tender, about 20 minutes.

Stir in parsley and lemon juice; then season with salt and pepper.

Serve hot.
 
Lance gt's homemade cock soup

1 cup of father's semen
1 cup cold water
1/4 cup of foreskins
1tbs of father's ass hair shavings

Mix in large pot
Heat until low boil occurs

Chow down, cock munch.
 
Best backpacking meal, ever: Shepherd's Pie

1/2 lb hamburger, dehydrated
1/2 cup corn, dehydrated
1 package instant potatoes
1 package instant gravy

Rehydrate your hamburger and corn. It's usually a ration of 1:1 water to burger/corn mix. Prepare your potatoes (you can use any leftover water from the corn/burger mix for more taste). Make the gravy.

Put a layer of the burger corn mix, followed by a layer of potatoes, followed by gravy. Very tasty food after a long day on the trail; lots of protein, too, to help muscles recover.

I usually make larger batches to dehydrate, then seal in vacuum-seal bags in 2-person portions.
 
Bourbon Chicken

1 cup Bourbon (or Southern Comfort if you only have the good stuff)
1 cup Soy sauce
1/2 brown sugar
3 tablespoons garlic powder (or 3 minced cloves)
2 tablespoons ground ginger
1 tablespoon honey
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts cubed

Mix everything but the chicken in a big bowl. Stir until the sugar dissolves. Add the chicken and let marinate for a few hours. Fry the chicken cubes in a pan with a tablespoon olive oil and good toss of garlic and ginger. Heat the sauce to a low boil then take off heat and spoon over the frying chicken to make a glaze. It'll darken and thicken and you'll know when its done cause its almost black but not quite.

Serve with rice and stir fry veggies, spooning whatever sauce is left over the whole thing.

Bourbon and caramel ice cream for dessert.

I had a bourbon sauce on salmon once. The BEST salmon I've had, and I love salmon. I wonder if your bourbon sauce will work on salmon?
 
I had a bourbon sauce on salmon once. The BEST salmon I've had, and I love salmon. I wonder if your bourbon sauce will work on salmon?

I bet it would, since fish and chicken are both "light" meats. Worth a try anyway. :)
 
I bet it would, since fish and chicken are both "light" meats. Worth a try anyway. :)

I think it had a nut crust, too. Argh. I wish I could remember precisely, but the sauce was heavenly.

A little bourbon for the fish, a little bourbon for me... repeat. :)
 
I like my pancakes with peanut butter and maple syrup. Not really a recipe, but sooo good.

In fact, I may have that for dinner. This thread has made me hungry.
 
Would someone please give me a clue about Baked Apples (particularly if done in the microwave oven.
 
Would someone please give me a clue about Baked Apples (particularly if done in the microwave oven.

Traditionally, you core the apples (I believe Rome Beauties are the variety of choice) but leave the skins on. Pack the hollow with brown sugar and butter with some cinnamon and a bit of nutmeg. Bake until soft.

In a microwave, I'd prick the skins with a fork first and then start with five minutes. Continue to cook in one minute intervals until done to your satisfaction.

Of course, I don't particularly like baked apples . . .
 
Back
Top