"Because it's there."

Peregrinator said:
She says thanks. She's grinning a lot and her dimples are in full bloom.
Oooo... dimples are cute. I dimple back.

Peregrinator said:
Thanks. We've both been looking and it's been pretty stressful.

Got me a sugar momma. Heh.

Would you like a job as a roofer?

You can be the guy who goes up and melts the ice & snow off the roofs with a weed burner, since you have experience with ice, snow, and high places.
The pay is damn good and we offer such benefits as free coffee, raingear, paid days off to go fishing. :)

Delicacy said:
Would you like a job as a roofer?

You can be the guy who goes up and melts the ice & snow off the roofs with a weed burner, since you have experience with ice, snow, and high places.
The pay is damn good and we offer such benefits as free coffee, raingear, paid days off to go fishing. :)

Sounds like the perfect climbing-bum job. Mrs. Perg says she heard something like this on A Prairie Home Companion when she lived up there.

SaintPeter said:
Have you ever had lightning strike nearby while you were on a rock?

Not on steep rock, no, but I have had it strike not too far away while I was hauling ass along a ridgeline to get the hell out from under a storm. Most of us who play in the mountains have a good sense of weather, so storms don't usually catch us off guard. occasionally they blow in so fast that they get you as you're trying to get away.

On a related note, Colorado is fast approaching Florida for the number one spot on teh list of lightning-person strikes per year, because of tourists who go up in the hills and get nailed. In FL the problem is golfers and the Gulf.

ToughLead.jpg

snasu said:
well now, isn't that a scary picture.

That was a scary hundred feet of climbing. I seriously thought I was going to take a big fall that day.

Peregrinator said:
That was a scary hundred feet of climbing. I seriously thought I was going to take a big fall that day.
I'm amazed you went up. I'm not so good with heights. There is a reason all my shoe have less then a 2" heel.

snasu said:
I'm amazed you went up. I'm not so good with heights. There is a reason all my shoe have less then a 2" heel.

It's such a beautiful line....climbers can feel compelled to interact with certain pieces of rock just because they're so perfect-looking.

I always tell my climbing students that you're supposed to be afraid of heights.

Did I post that to you before?

Peregrinator said:
It's such a beautiful line....climbers can feel compelled to interact with certain pieces of rock just because they're so perfect-looking.

I always tell my climbing students that you're supposed to be afraid of heights.

Did I post that to you before?
I don't remember it, but that doesn't mean you didn't post it. I would so panic in the middle of that climb (any climb).

It's a awesome pic, though.

snasu said:
I don't remember it, but that doesn't mean you didn't post it. I would so panic in the middle of that climb (any climb).

It's a awesome pic, though.

I was proud of making it up the damn thing. probably the hardest pitch I've ever climbed. I cheated a little, but too damn bad.

When I was very young, I saw a documentary on climbers. In it, they were going up a sheer cliff and had to stop for darkness. They got out some hammock/tent thing and slept hanging there. Is that real?

Silverlily said:
When I was very young, I saw a documentary on climbers. In it, they were going up a sheer cliff and had to stop for darkness. They got out some hammock/tent thing and slept hanging there. Is that real?

Absolutely. They started with hammocks and then evolved as clever people and eventually tent-makers got involved. There's several different varieties of "portaledge" on the market now.

pikasingleportaledge.jpg

1209-200x200.jpg

portaledge.jpg

A. Do you loop-view "Vertical Limit"?

B. What are you getting the Missus to celebrate the new job?

C. How do you manage to take enough beer and ice along on your climbs to make it worthwhile?

Peregrinator said:
Absolutely. They started with hammocks and then evolved as clever people and eventually tent-makers got involved. There's several different varieties of "portaledge" on the market now.

Those were quite possibly some of the scariest things I've ever seen, and I LIKE heights. I'm not exactly alert when I awaken and I can see leaning right over the side. What holds them on to the mountain?

Gringao said:
A. Do you loop-view "Vertical Limit"?

B. What are you getting the Missus to celebrate the new job?

C. How do you manage to take enough beer and ice along on your climbs to make it worthwhile?

A. Worst. "Climbing" Movie. Ever.

B. Me? She's the one who has income now.

C. Guys climbing stuff long enough to warrant using one of those devices I posted above also use a "haul bag;" climb a ways, haul the "pig," climb some more, haul the pig, repeat. There's been all sorts of shit hauled up walls, and even more up stuff you can walk up, like Long's Peak:

longs-peak-beer.jpg

I kinda liked Vertical Limit...but I'm a landlubber.

Good to see the proper victuals making it to the pinnacle. I always enjoyed high-altitude alcohol...got snockered in Peru at around 14,000' once. Didn't take much.

Silverlily said:
Those were quite possibly some of the scariest things I've ever seen, and I LIKE heights. I'm not exactly alert when I awaken and I can see leaning right over the side. What holds them on to the mountain?

When you do that kind of climbing, it's either really hard or really long, which explains the need to sleep. Climbers become adept at placing "protection" in cracks in the rock; there's a whole range of devices that are made to keep you from falling, or in cases of extreme difficulty, to give you stuff to grab/hang from. Those ledges are suspended from an anchor, which would be several of these equalized to take the weight as a group, generally a very safe arrangement. At the same time, the climber is wearing a harness and is tied in to the anchor personally as well, so if you did wake up and roll off, you'd fall a couple inches before the anchor caught you by the harness.

All these systems are incredibly redundant, and much stronger than any theoretical load that could be placed on them. You could hang an suv full of powerlifters from the average anchor.

In some cases, the climbers use "permanent anchors," usually bolts drilled right into the rock, or "fixed anchors," stuff placed by other climbers and left on purpose. This is usually on popular routes, where the anchors are examined and changed by experienced climbers on a regular basis.

Gringao said:
I kinda liked Vertical Limit...but I'm a landlubber.

Good to see the proper victuals making it to the pinnacle. I always enjoyed high-altitude alcohol...got snockered in Peru at around 14,000' once. Didn't take much.

Yeah, it's a famous event when the NY ricons show up in Telluride and have one martini and pass out in the hot tub.

It was a fun movie in some ways, but the most realistic thing in it was the Pakistani artillery unit.

"Time to wake up the Indians!"

Back