How to grow big juicy fabulous tomatoes

Hi everyone,

I need your tips, tricks, and advice. I did see a thread from 2010 that dealt with tomato plants and yellowing leaves, but not quite what I need.

Every year I try to grow tomatoes. To date, I haven't gotten one freakin tomato no matter what I have tried. I have scoured the internet for advice and there is so much out there I'm not sure which to use. So tell, all you gardeners in the bunch, how do you do it? What has worked for you?

I have 8 plants this year --4 different varieties. If I don't get any tomatoes this time, I"m giving up completely. I can grow herbs like crazy. I'm the queen of pansies and vinca, but tomatoes? Nope.

So please, help a tomato-less minx out.

You should ask this question on the GB. There is a person named Ken there who knows all about tomatoes. He will mail you some seeds.
 
Ken hasn't showed his face since he got caught playing Karen.
 
You should ask this question on the GB. There is a person named Ken there who knows all about tomatoes. He will mail you some seeds.

Thank you for the suggestion, but oh my, I'm so not ready for seeds. :) So far the plants haven't died, they have some flowers and I'm counting myself lucky, but I will keep that in mind if I ever muster up the intestinal fortitude to go over the GB.
 
I have never had any problems with tomatoes, I put them in the ground give them a drink once a week, toss on some miracle gro and I end up with more damn maters than I want to can or give away. I am having a bitch of a time with my strawberries. Something of fairly nice size is munching on them.
 
I have never had any problems with tomatoes, I put them in the ground give them a drink once a week, toss on some miracle gro and I end up with more damn maters than I want to can or give away. I am having a bitch of a time with my strawberries. Something of fairly nice size is munching on them.

You may need some bird block - it's a net, you cover the plants with it and the sun can go through but the birds and so some extent the bugs and ground animals are kept out. Whenever one of my strawberries escapes the protection of the net, the birds eat it.
 
Make sure there are no Black Walnut trees anywhere near your plants, they put off a toxin that will wreck havoc on tomatoes.
 
I went out yesterday and found that all of our tomato plants have been eaten down to the main stem. Apparently my SO lefty the garden gate open. We have ground hogs, raccoons, fox, deer etc. My bet is on the groundhogs.

Looks like my tomatoes will come from the farm down the road this year.
 
I have never had any problems with tomatoes, I put them in the ground give them a drink once a week, toss on some miracle gro and I end up with more damn maters than I want to can or give away. I am having a bitch of a time with my strawberries. Something of fairly nice size is munching on them.

Squirrels ate all my strawberries !!
 
This morning I completed a yard project that produced a large pile of sand and a large pile of vegetation. My neighbor, Lady Gaga, did a similar yard project that produced a comparable amount of debris which she spent 3 days bagging.

I put my crap to work. Here's how:

I found a nice sunny spot for the vegetation and covered it with the sand. Temps are presently in the 90s, and the vegetation will be history within 60-90 days under that hot sand. By September 21st it oughta be a cheap pile of compost for the garden, with no turning or fuss the whole time. In 90 days I'll shovel whats there into my wheelbarrow and dump in in the planters.

Oh! My 2nd tomato planting is producing another harvest of tomatoes. Planting #3 is in the ground as of yesterday.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top