Inclusion of a table in a story

MindsMirror

Really Experienced
Has anyone ever included a table in a story?

We've included lists in stories before with the HTML syntax <ul> <li> Item 1</li><li> Item 2</li> </ul>.
We've also used all kinds of formatting for bold, italics and underline.
But we were wondering about including a table with multiple rows and columns....

<table><tr><td>Row 1 Col 1</td><td>Row 1 Col 2</td></tr>
<tr><td>Row 2 Col 1</td><td>Row 2 Col 2</td></tr>
</table>

We could just try it and see, but wondered if anyone already had.

Thanks,
-MM

No. LIT supports a few HTML tags for browsers, none for the Android app, and no table tags. LIT also does not support monospace so you can't fake a table. LIT browser HTML support includes <blockquote> so it's possible to indent -- and sometimes it works. ;)

Forget about fancy formatting. Write the story.

We've included lists in stories before with the HTML syntax <ul> <li> Item 1</li><li> Item 2</li> </ul>.
But we were wondering about including a table with multiple rows and columns....

</table>

Thanks,
-MM

Of course, I have no idea WHY you would want to include a table, but I can tell you, its appearance in a story would temporarily puzzle me, then I'd have to figure it out. I'm sure it would be a simple table, but it would take milliseconds to take me right out of the story. That's never a good thing. There has to be a better way to present what you want to say than including a table in a fiction story.

rj

</table>

Thanks,
-MM

Chairs too?

Actually, monospace is supported, provided you include a moderator note, make it easy to locate, and manually insert the <br /> tags before submission.

https://www.literotica.com/s/sisters-of-the-mists-ch-02

Bottom of page 1.

It's primarily supported for poetry, but I have requested it and had it included in stories as well, under the conditions outlined above.

In the draft, it does appear to take the <table> syntax, but the formatting is not ideal in either the old or new interface.

Maybe a different approach will have to do.

-MM

It would be stripped out before publication, even though it processes in the preview/draft.

Table tags are too troublesome. Tiny little mistakes can muck up the whole page. There's little to no chance Laurel would allow them, no matter how good of a reason you give.

The only time I've ever seen tables allowed, they were actually published as images.

Lists don't have as many problems, but they're still not allowed. Laurel more or less set the list of allowed HTML long before I ever started here, which is more than a decade ago. I don't see it changing.

In the draft, it does appear to take the <table> syntax, but the formatting is not ideal in either the old or new interface.

Maybe a different approach will have to do.

-MM

Lists don't have as many problems, but they're still not allowed. Laurel more or less set the list of allowed HTML long before I ever started here, which is more than a decade ago. I don't see it changing.

Lists are at the top of every one of our stories...
-MM

I stand corrected. Horizontal rule as well. Suppose we have to add that to the lexicon.

Wonder if length adjusted HRs are allowed. I've always hated the default 100%

Doubt I'll change anything myself, but it's there, I suppose. Still probably not a change from the longstanding limits. It's just never come up before, that I can recall.

Actually, monospace is supported, provided you include a moderator note, make it easy to locate, and manually insert the <br /> tags before submission.

https://www.literotica.com/s/sisters-of-the-mists-ch-02

Bottom of page 1.

I don't see any monospace there. Your example has single line spacing - which is indeed useful for poetry - but it doesn't have monospacing.

For example, here's what those lines would look like in a monospaced font:

To pierce through the darkness –
That it may no more conceal –
This crystal now bless –
The lost to reveal.

Note that the first "c" of "conceal" and the first "s" of "bless" are each the 21st character in their respective lines, and they're exactly vertically aligned. But as your story displays on Literotica, that "c" sits well to the right of the "s".

Monospaced fonts make it possible to build simple tables just by forming the borders with |-+ etc. But I haven't seen monospace in a story here.

Attachments

• spacing.png
    spacing.png
    30.2 KB · Views: 0
Misread LOL

It was 11 PM, and my butthead boy had decided to take a long nap the day before, then not sleep that night. I was running on fumes ;)

I don't see any monospace there. Your example has single line spacing - which is indeed useful for poetry - but it doesn't have monospacing.

For example, here's what those lines would look like in a monospaced font:

To pierce through the darkness –
That it may no more conceal –
This crystal now bless –
The lost to reveal.

Note that the first "c" of "conceal" and the first "s" of "bless" are each the 21st character in their respective lines, and they're exactly vertically aligned. But as your story displays on Literotica, that "c" sits well to the right of the "s".

Monospaced fonts make it possible to build simple tables just by forming the borders with |-+ etc. But I haven't seen monospace in a story here.

Maybe we'll tack the <table> on to the end and see if it makes it through too.
-MM

I stand corrected. Horizontal rule as well. Suppose we have to add that to the lexicon.

Wonder if length adjusted HRs are allowed. I've always hated the default 100%

Doubt I'll change anything myself, but it's there, I suppose. Still probably not a change from the longstanding limits. It's just never come up before, that I can recall.

I wouldn't do it as an experiment unless you can live with the publication being delayed an additional 3-4 days, because I give way better than average odds that will get rejected for HTML, forcing you to resubmit.

Maybe we'll tack the <table> on to the end and see if it makes it through too.
-MM

Back