Broken Body, Lively Soul (Closed)

Mayu

Ghost Of Who I Was
Joined
Aug 7, 2006
Posts
22,651
Maggie Phoenix moved to Miami when she was five years old, her parents wanted her to be by the sea because she loved the ocean. She did come from money, but she was not a bitch about it. She actually gave away four hundred dollars once to a homeless woman, something her father did not like but let it slid. But her father had crossed the wrong people. When she was Seventeen years old, her father started to get into a shady operation but that was where the money came from.

Life was very good, her mother never asked questions and neither did Maggie. But she felt something bad was to happen, and on the night of her eighteenth birthday it happened. Her life was about to change forever, the night of her birthday she was fast asleep. But her mother came rushing in and forced her daughter to hide in a secret compartment that they had created. She hid and soon she heard screams, pure blood curtailing screams.

This went on for maybe fifteen minutes, she was crying and all of a sudden everything seemed to stop. She was shaken about two hours later she heard people talking, she heard someone picking at her secret place and soon saw a man she would guess mid 30's early 40's and when he offered her his hand she took it and began to explain what happened. He was so kind, and hoped that they would keep in close contact.

Maggie opened up her eyes running what happened in her head, while she was waiting for Horatio to come out of his meeting. Since they were to get some lunch together, it had been a year since the murder but she was still hurting. She never thought H would actually keep in touch but was glad, H was all she had. Hearing something she looked up seeing Horatio and slowly stood up and hugged him, for a few moments.

"Hello Horatio" Her green eyes looking at him, her red hair flat against her back.
 
Horatio had gotten the phone call earlier that morning. He made his way to the phone and picked up the receiver. "Hello?" It was Maggie on the other end of the line asking if they could have lunch together today. He had agreed and told her to come to the office and wait on him. He would have a few meetings that morning but would make sure he made time for her. He hung up and begin thinking back to the circumstances revolving his and her meeting. He would never forget it.

He had gotten the call of a double homicide. The team arrived at the house and he went in and found a male and female both shot to death with visible signs of a struggle. They had canvassed the entire area until he happened upon what could be a secret compartment in the bedroom. He picked at it and found a young girl cowering inside. He helped her out and she tried her best to explain all that she had heard. It was time to go to work.

Over the past year they had narrowed it down to the likely suspects and they were closing in on them. That was what the pressing meetings this morning were all about. The last meeting before lunch finished up and he made his way out of the conference room. He looked up and saw Maggie sitting at one of the desks. She got up as he walked towards her. She came to hug him and he wrapped his arms around her and held her for a few moments. "Hi Maggie. How are you doing? It's good to see you again."
 
Maggie smiled hearing his voice, it was so nice to actually be able to see him. But also knew he was closing in on those responsible for her parents murder, she had changed from those days. She tried her best to not fear, she had intensive therapy after it. Looking up into his eyes, he gave her the same look now when he found her a year ago. And today would be the first true steps of getting out there, brushing her red hair out of her face. Her green eyes looking into his, she could not help but smile even more.

"I am good thank you, after what happened to my parents I had a lot of therapy but the doctor after a year of some aggressive help I only see the doctor maybe once every six months. I still have nightmares though, able to hear the men's voice. Who would have guessed an eighteen year old would cower like a child. But I am rather happy you kept your promise to me H, keeping in contact with me. And I am glad to have this time with you" He meant something to her but did not really know what.

Walking beside her she had a big smile on her face, she was really happy. And all she wanted was to be happy, sighing a bit she looked at him as they walked in the sunshine. "So how have you been? You look good. Been keeping up with your work in the paper, I hope you are close to finding those responsible so I could look them in the eyes and ask why." Sighing softly she felt the breeze stroke her face. Horatio was a very good man, but he seemed so lonely but perhaps it was her own loneliness staring her into the face.
 
They pulled back from hugging but he still kept his hands on her arms. "I'm glad that you went through with the therapy Maggie. It would benefit you in the long run even if you don't understand it all now. Therapy as well as having and keeping friends around. I know this has been a tough year for you and I, as well as everyone else, are doing whatever we can do bring all of this to a close."

He slid his hands down her arms and walked over and grabbed his jacket off the back of the chair. "Come on. Let's go grab some food. I'm starving."

They walked through the offices and out the front door making their way over to the restaurant. It was only a couple blocks away and it was nice out so instead of driving they were just going to travel on foot. It would give them a little more time together anyways. 'Time needed to make sure that Maggie is really doing okay' he thought to himself. As they walked she began talking again.

"I've been doing okay. Just putting all the extra time I have into this case. I really want to catch these guys and we are so close." He stopped walking and reached out and touched her arm and turned her to face him. "Maggie listen. Maybe talk to your doctor about that. It may not be a good decision but then again it may bring some closure to you. But personally, I don't know if you should try and confront these guys once we have them. You've come a long way since them and I just don't want that to be a cause for your progress to be set back again."
 
Maggie felt the contact with him and enjoyed the touch, she never trusted guys and especially after what happened to her. And really when it came down to it she tried reaching out to people but they just did not get it. She did not want to go to therapy but Horatio got her to go, by the way he urged her touched her very much. He did not have to go this far yet he did, it was strange but it was very sweet and touching. Glad that someone was looking out for her, it was such a beautiful day in Miami she never wanted to leave here.

While they got to there table in the restaurant she sat down, feeling his hand on her arm as he spoke to her. And Maggie smiled at him placing her hand on his that was on her arm, looking around it felt like a big dream. "I know you are doing everything you can possibly do Horatio that is why I haven't called you a million times to ask how its going, I trust you. Which is some of the reason I did therapy some for you but mostly for me to get back, and if you think its best I will talk to her again.

And as for those responsible I wont confront them if you wish, but I would be forever grateful if you asked them why for me. I have no relationships any more, with my parents the only family. And I never had friends, always had this trust issue with me. But you are a dear friend but what I don't understand, is you have dealt with hundreds of cases in your career why stay in contact with me?" She asked rather curious. It was something she had wanted to know about for a very long time.
 
They walked in out of the sun, even as good as it felt, and sat at a table waiting on the server to come by. "I'm glad that you do trust me Maggie. I have worked hard on this case. I can't admit it around the team but I feel I have worked harder on this case than I have any of them in a long while. But yes, I really do think that you should speak with your doctor about the situation before making your decision on it.

After speaking with your doctor, if you decide that it's not the right decision for you then yes, provided that I get a chance to confront them and talk to them, I will ask them whatever you want." He reached across the table and touched her hand as it lay on the tabletop. "I'm glad that you consider me a dear friend of yours Maggie. As far as why I keep contact with you...."

He paused and around the restaurant and then down at the table as he began speaking again."Some don't know that I was briefly married for a while. My wife was shot and killed by a sniper. So you see, I am like you more than you know. You were a survivor against the odds the same as I was. So we have that connection. I knew how it was for me to get through that so I can relate to what you have went through. I just want to make sure that you are and that you stay okay."
 
Maggie looked at him as he spoke and then when he spoke about the sniper, she had a small flashback almost. She had heard about it on the news, she was three blocks away from that spot. And knowing that she smiled a little bit as she squeezed his hand in a tender gesture of many things, she felt for Horatio and in a way it felt good to know she was not alone. Sure it was far from fair but they were stronger. Crossing one leg over the other she thought about how she should talk about that moment.

"I'm sorry for your loss, she was very lucky to have you for a husband. Even if it was just a short time, me I never got close to anyone. I was the book worm so to speak, the girl people would whisper about. Which was part of the reason I moved here, originally I am from New York City. But the kids bullied me so much, plus my father got a job offer here. But I remember hearing about her, I was three blocks away from where the shooting took place. In a way it is a great comfort to know you know how I feel.

But no one should have to see someone they love, someone they care about killed. I will never understand behavior of our race I really don't, I guess we are the survivor to speak for the dead. Not that it makes it any easier, maybe that is why I never had boyfriends or friends for that matter. Afraid of being hurt, afraid of watching the man I love get killed." Looking down she sighed silently, stroking her thumb over his hand.
 
He felt her squeeze the top of his hand and rub her thumb gently over his skin as she talked. He was glad that he was there for her as much as she needed and he was glad that she was there for him to even if she didn't know it.

"No Maggie. I was the lucky one to have her for the short time that I did. That sniper took something away from me that day that seemed to harden me for a long time. But then I was able to rid myself of the anger from it and it made me better at what I do now I think. Most see me as serious, direct and straight to the point most of the time. But I'm able to use that straight forwardness and stay calm in each situation to deal with killers as well as victims, such as yourself, that may have been through a traumatic circumstance.

I honestly don't understand the nature of our race either Maggie. But me as a person and as my job requires, I feel just as you do. We have to be the ones willing to speak out for the innocent people that get needlessly killed. However, you can't let those fears that you have stop you from being happy and moving further along in your life."
 
She could still hear the hurt in his voice, that was very easy to hear. But he seemed to be at peace as much as he could be. Looking down for a moment she silently sighed, she wondered if she would ever be happy. She knew it was most likely selfish to even think of such things now, but her eyes could show a lot of people to the right people. She was a vulnerable girl and did not like it, being nineteen with nothing left. But smiled weakly hearing that he said he was the lucky one. She had ordered a diet soda and sipped on it when the drinks came.

"Yeah I always wanted a husband and a couple of kids, but haven't really found anyone I really connect with. So far you are the only one that I connect with, which I am grateful. Sometimes I don't think people know just how special they are. Some do but do it in a really pain in the ass sort of way you know? I am actually starting college classes soon, going for music. May as well have my skills and use them then let them die. My parents would not be happy if they knew I had given up music"
 
He hated the fact that since his wife had been shot, it had caused him to be more reserved as far as personally caring for someone in some ways. He still completed his job as best as he had ever done as he took time to make sure innocent victims made it trough circumstances. But as far as opening up to people, that just wasn't him anymore.

"I'm glad that you feel connected to me Maggie. You need someone as a friend that you feel can be there for you whenever you need it. If you can't seem to find that anywhere else for whatever reason, I'm glad that you can find it with me.

And I'm also glad that you have that gift that you are choosing to take classes and develop it farther. I hope to be able to hear you perform one day."

As he finished talking, he took a drink as he just looked at her. Finally their food showed up and they both began picking over their food and simply being there for one another in that time. He thought back again how he had become so reserved as far as everyone else was concerned, but he saw that she needed someone that she could communicate with and he was trying to himself back up with her.
 
Maggie smiled at him he was a soul that needed another to bond with, that was easy to tell. And the smell of food filled her nose looking at it, Maggie was a simple girl and crossing one leg over the other as she took a bite of her burger and wiped her mouth with the napkin she had. Talking to Horatio made things easier to deal with. And really she cared for the man, he was rather magical in his own way. The way he talked, how he moved. Everything was rather nice about him, she loved his voice but would not admit that...yet.

"Yeah I was a musical savant in school, started to learn how to play the piano at the age of two. Moved on to the violin a couple years later, always love playing classical music. Moonlight sonata was my favorite piece to learn that and flight of the bumble bee. I guess I was never much of a kid growing up, my father would tease me a lot. Say I was an old soul in a young body, I think dad had a point since I was always attracted to older men. Course there was a fifteen year age difference between my parents.

So maybe it rubbed off on me" She giggled at that thought and looked at him. "I know your still hurting Horatio, your eyes always so soft yet in so much pain. I hope you will find happiness again H your very sweet and rather handsome if I do say so myself" She blushed a bit but she was being open and she cut up her pickle. "I know what others say about you, but the only person who can truly understand you is someone who knows what its like to lose someone. As you said yourself because of my parents. Guess we are kindred souls"
 
He sat in silence eating his food as she ate and recounted learning to play music and her favorite pieces to play. He watched her as she ate and spoke. She was a very pretty girl but seemed so much older than her actual age. He noticed that he felt relaxed with her instead of being pent up and on the go constantly when his mind was focused on work. He finally finished his lunch and sat back in the chair.

"I never learned to play anything. Although, I always found listening to a piano very relaxing. As well as the classical music genre. I happen to enjoy both of those pieces as well as you. I also am very fond of works by Tchaikovsky. Particularly the 1812 Overture and the Violin Concerto. There is nothing wrong with a little age difference usually. Well, within reasonable standards."

He laughed a little when she mentioned that she thought he was sweet and handsome. "Well thank you Maggie. I found you to be very sweet and very pretty as well. As far as kindred souls...perhaps we are. But yes I feel that it does take going through something similar to be able to fully relate and connect with someone else."
 
Maggie finished up her meal as she listened to Horatio speak and she knew the composer she was talking about, his music was beautiful. She just listened to everything he said, clinging to his words it was rather fun. In the back of her head though she wondered if he would ever date someone younger, course she also had no idea how old he was either not that it mattered. She found herself having a special place in her heart for him, perhaps even love though she had never felt love for someone out of family.

"Aw yes Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky very popular Composer I studied him in high school, was rather fun. Yeah I loved those pieces myself they were very beautiful and well thought out as well. Actually about six months after you found me I actually wrote up a song on my violin something that you inspired. Finding inspiration is very rare any more, but I am curious Horatio would you ever date a younger woman?" She decided to go for it what the hell, its not like she was asking him out on a date.
 
As he sat back in the chair, he watched her talking as her eyes played back of forth from him to around the table and the restaurant. He knew she wasn't really nervous because they seemed to get along great and be comfortable with each other. But he couldn't place what it was that would cause her to seem so restless.

"Yes all of the classical pieces seem to be extremely thought out. They had to be very talented to put together works such as those."

He put his hand on his chest as she told him that she had written a piece inspired by him. "Really? I inspired you to write a piece. Wow. I'm shocked...uhhh...flattered actually."

He dropped his hands down and interlocked his fingers from each hand and rested his forearms on the arms of the chair. "Date a younger woman?" When she asked that he began to understand he thought of maybe why she was looking around and beginning to act different. "Uhhh...well maybe. I guess it would depend on the situation."
 
Maggie was not looking around like she was because she was nervous but something felt very wrong. Hearing what he said she smiled a bit sighing a little and chuckled. "I think your the only one who can read me I am not nervous asking the question of you dating a younger woman. I am nervous because I feel something is wrong in the pit of my gut, like we are being watched you know? Usually when I am at my happiest seems like things come tumbling down" She sighed a bit and chuckled a bit.

"Oh and what situation would that be Horatio you have me curious" She said with a kind smile on her face, getting rid of the feeling like someone is staring feel. She was much more comfortable and stopped looking around all over the place, she just was a young woman interested in someone much older then she was. Perhaps it was doom to not ever happen, but she could not help but want to try it any way. "I ask because I was going to ask you out tonight if you were free. You want to hear me play, I play at the club close by here tonight"
 
Horatio raised up in the chair still having his fingers locked together and placed his hands and forearms on the table top when she mentioned the feeling she was getting that maybe they were being watched. He began looking all around the restaurant at every table he could see. He knew it was possible that it could happen even though he hoped no one would take the chance. After all, the killers had to know by now that the cops were onto them and getting close. So there was no telling what they might be willing to try.

When he felt satisfied that no one actually was watching, he relaxed a little but still stayed raised up in the chair turning all of his attention back to Maggie.

"Yeah Maggie I know about how everything can come tumbling down when you are least expecting it. That's why I have kind of trained myself to always expect for something to happen and I can keep my guard up so to speak."

He took a slow, deep breath and smiled slightly when she asked about what a situation could be. "Uhh well there's not really a set situation. It just depends on what kind of connection that gets made between me and someone else I suppose.

You're asking me out? Umm wow...ok. I have a few more files to go over at the office but then I should be free by late afternoon. And yes, I would love to hear you play."
 
Maggie saw the surprise when she invited him to the club and chuckled a bit "You have a cute face when you are surprised. I love it when you smile, wish you would do it more often. But with your job I could see why you would train yourself to always be ready, sometimes I Just get a bad feeling I can't shake you know? Thankfully it does not happen to me very much, but H there is another reason why I wanted to have lunch with you." She said sitting back and grabbing her purse, she took out a baggie.

"I was cleaning up my home, still trying to get my parents things out of the house. And when I was cleaning I found this, its some kind of card. But it's covered in blood and I can't make out what it could be, so I carefully moved it and put it in the baggie. I used tweezers to pick it up, I don't know if its relevant to the case. But I wanted to give it to you any way, it was actually under a small book case. Sometimes when I have dreams about it, seems I keep remembering small details but I would reorganized there voices in a heart beat"

She said as she slid over the card and pulled back, hopefully it could still be used. She did not know really much just that she had to be careful when she bagged it, which she was actually. It helped to know someone who taught her proper procedure to obtain evidence. But she had a good feeling here. And when he agreed to go out with her she smiled. "And sounds like a date actually. I maybe to young to drink but they let me play there, helps clear my mind you know? get away from life for a few hours"
 
"Well Maggie I'm in a god mood more often than my face may show. I suppose it could be a life of this job I deal with. After a while you see so many bad things that it hardens you to a point. You may be feeling great inside but it's just being a victim of circumstance that seems to not allow you to be able to show it on the outside."

He watched as she pulled out the baggie with the bloody card in it. He took it in his hands and looked at the card through the plastic. He knew it had to be hard for her to see this because there was no doubt in his mind that this was her parents blood all over it.

"Thank you very much for this Maggie. You did an excellent job getting this the way you did. I will get this to the team and see if we can lift enough blood of it to get the numbers. Maybe if it does turn out to pertain to the case, we can call it and get a recording of the voices for you to listen to and see if maybe it's the same voices that you remember from that day."

He folded the bag and stuck it in his pocket making it a point to make it a priority once he got back to the office.

"Haha. It does sound lie a date doesn't it? We will see how it goes. And hearing you perform will maybe help clear my mind for the night as well. I could use and escape for a few hours."
 
Maggie smiled at it "Well helps to have a friend like you H, since you were the one who did tell me the protocol you use while collecting evidence. And I can tell what you are thinking, I don't think that is my parents blood. The night of the murder my mother I could tell attacked one of them, and I think she may have cut one. Since there was a big struggle from one, and know she wounded someone. But its worth a look any way, I figured that is what you would think any way. We may have only known each other for a year.

But I am good at seeing people for who they really are, you do great work Horatio but please don't let it kill you. Sometimes I think I am going to get a call thinking you had been hurt or worse, you have helped me more then I Know. So you deserve to get away from your job for a little while, be happy even if its only for a moment. Life can pass you by if you allow it to, and me I will not take things for granted. What I have learned about life H is that the hardest thing in this world is to live in it"

Eden said with a determined look, reaching again into her purse taking out the card where she would be. "well I am not sure if you want to pick me up or meet up at the club, but this is where I am going" She slid the card over. "And don't be surprised if I dedicate a song to you" Placing her hand on his she squeezed it in a sweet manner. "seems nice to have someone who understands the hardships of people. I actually thought about moving out of Florida, but now I realize my place is here. To continue life the way I know my parents would have wanted"
 
He looked down at his pocket where he stuck the bag and then looked back up a Maggie.

"Maggie, if your mom cut someone and we can sample their blood then that will really help the case. For now we think we know who it was and that's why are narrowing down on them. If we could get blood to match someone then that would be concrete and it would all finally come to an end.

I think I'm careful enough to not get killed, but there is always the unexpected. I try not to think about it much but it's always there in the back of mind that it could happen. It's part of the life that's me. It's what I'm used to but I don't let it control me."

He took the club card from her and looked at.

"We can do it either way. we can ride together or I can meet you there. And I think it would be nice if you dedicated one to me. And I for one would be glad if you stayed here Maggie. I enjoy your company."
 
Maggie smiled at him and listened to what he said, she loved hearing what he thought on things. And smiled w hen he said he was glad she stayed, it was nice to be good company for someone made her feel good. Her grey eyes looking into his and nodded, he was the kind of guy that actually gave her the time of day. It was nice to have someone to lean on, so to speak any way. Finishing up her drink she was thinking about H there was something very interesting in him, another reason she enjoyed talking to him.

"Nice to know I am good company for someone, I never really acted much of a kid. I mean sure year one to the age of five I just seemed to grow up much faster mentally and emotionally. Perhaps that is why no one had anything to do with me in school, but I don't worry about it. You are great to hang out with, I always feel safe when I am with you. Hopefully my mother did injure one, but I know in time you will catch who did this. Course your the only one I really have faith in, you and your team you work with"
 
"Well Maggie, rest assured that won't give up until we do catch whoever did this. The same way with all of our cases. That is my promise to you. But speaking of me and my team working together, I better be getting back to find out if anything new is going on and to get this card into the lab to see what leads develop from it.

And you need to go and get ready for tonight. I can't wait to hear you. I will be at the office the rest of the afternoon but call me and let me know whether you want me to pick you up or just meet you there. Either way is fine with me."

He pushed the chair back and stood up and went to pay. He came back to the table as Maggie was standing up and gathering her things together.
 
Maggie smiled and nodded when she got up and got her things, looking at him. "We can meet each other at the Club Horatio then you can take me home, need to set up tonight so it will be fun." She said and kissed his cheek, she was happy when she was around him. Made her feel like she was worth something, but wanted to surprise him with a song and what she would wear. She had no idea what she was up to. Kinda funny really, but she just shook that out of her head. She was glad he was coming.

When she left she went on home to get ready, since they were meeting at the club she wore her best clothing. She had on a black think strapped dress that had specks of red, yellow and blue coloring. And wore black high heels, and wore just a little makeup nothing big. Wore some eye liner, and lipstick. Putting her hair up in a french braid and was ready to get going, she walked over to the club since she had five extra minutes. Leaning against the inside of the club where they could see each other when he got there.
 
As she stood, H raised his hand and put in on her back as she kissed his cheek.

"Ok. That sounds good. I will try and leave a little earlier to get ready and just meet you there then. Be careful Maggie. See you this evening."

With that, they both left the restaurant and as she went one way he turned and went the other, headed back to the office. He made his way to the lab and dropped off the bloody business card for a rush and then made his way back up to his desk. The rest of the day was uneventful with no new developments really. The end of the day came and he made his way out of the office and home. He showered and changed into his slacks and a button up shirt. He stopped and looked in the mirror. 'Hmm. Look the same as I always do' he thought.

He made his way out and drove towards the Club. He parked around back and walked back around to the front door. He made his way inside and saw Maggie leaned against the wall. He walked up and kissed her cheek.

"You look very lovely this evening Maggie."
 
Maggie was rather excited to be doing this, her heart was racing she was so nervous. And was hoping that she looked okay, she wore gold hooped earings something she did not do much of. She wasn't the kind of girl who would dress up like this, but it was rather special tonight. So she wanted to dress good for Horatio. She heard the music and knew this was going to be her first time to perform in front of so many, normally she performs on a day not many where here. And she saw the door opening.

Smiling she saw Horatio and smiled more when he kissed her cheek. "Hey H thank you, your very sweet. You look handsome, course you always do to me" She chuckled a little bit. She took his hand gently in her own and had a spot for him that he would be able to see very well. And looked at him again. "This should be fun something different for you" She chuckled a bit. Things would be rather interesting tonight, she knew that all to well. But she was not worried about what may or may not happen.

But then she heard the music stop and knew they were getting ready for her, looking down she closed her eyes, doing some breathing exercises that she did when nervous. "Well Horatio wish me luck, usually when I sing its not in front of so many" She smiled big time at him, but something in his eyes made everything seem perfect. And knew this song was for him and no one else.
 
Back
Top