The Official Authors' Hangout Halloween Contest Thread 2017

oggbashan

Dying Truth seeker
Joined
Jul 3, 2002
Posts
56,017
I am starting this thread now so that writers have no excuse for not starting a story in plenty of time. The Summer Lovin' contest is still running but the Halloween contest follows a short time afterwards - a month from this post.

Halloween
themes: scary stuff, costumes, Halloween traditions (trick-or-treating, etc.), etc.
starts: October 2
closes: October 23
winners announced: October 30


This thread is to SUPPORT and ENCOURAGE authors to enter stories in the Halloween Contest. Get your characters trick and treating, dressed in costumes, encountering ghosts and vampires. What could go wrong?

There is an advantage to entering stories in one of Literotica's themed contests, apart from the possibility of winning, and that is that your story gets far more exposure and attention than it would normally do.

Some of that attention might be unwelcome, some abusive, but some could be appreciative and helpful.
 
I have two started but I have several other projects in front of them.
 
It's the most wonderful tiiiiime...of the yeaaaar.

I've got two stories but I'm on the fence about one. It might be a better fit for next April Fools Day, and that's a harder contest to write for (for me at least). But I'd hate go in with just entry here. Decisions, decisions...
 
Nooooo!!!!! Are you kidding me? Quit fast-forwarding time, people!! Next thing I know, you'll be hanging Christmas decorations in such all over the place! Stop it stop it stop it!
 
Nooooo!!!!! Are you kidding me? Quit fast-forwarding time, people!! Next thing I know, you'll be hanging Christmas decorations in such all over the place! Stop it stop it stop it!

insane-christmas-deocrations.jpg


Viola, My apologies for stretching the page but this was such a perfect picture for a response to mer.....
 
Last edited:
I really need to think about this one.

I find it's never easy for me to come up with something for Halloween or April Fool's Day.

Definitely need a month to figure this one out.

Happy writing all.
 
Nooooo!!!!! Are you kidding me? Quit fast-forwarding time, people!! Next thing I know, you'll be hanging Christmas decorations in such all over the place! Stop it stop it stop it!

My local grocery store has already loaded their seasonal isle with Halloween goods. There are no commercial holidays between now and then.

The series I'm working on right now is at Halloween, but I don't think I could write a stand-alone Halloween story. I like Dia del los Muertos, but but that story will be part four of "A Valentine's Day Mess."

So no Halloween contest entries from me.
 
I'm riding the ragged edge right now, trying to get my summer lovin entry done and submitted (even though it's so late it won't be a serious contender... or probably even get the requisite 25 votes). Once it's done, I'm gonna need to sleep for a week or two.

But, I'll most likely do something for Halloween. (Something much, much, much shorter, please God!) I love the holiday too much to let it slip by without spreading a little wickedness. :devil:
 
I'm riding the ragged edge right now, trying to get my summer lovin entry done and submitted (even though it's so late it won't be a serious contender... or probably even get the requisite 25 votes). Once it's done, I'm gonna need to sleep for a week or two.

But, I'll most likely do something for Halloween. (Something much, much, much shorter, please God!) I love the holiday too much to let it slip by without spreading a little wickedness. :devil:

Never a truer word (or words) was spoken
- Summer lovin' entry - yep, check, with you there
- Once it's done - yep, check, definitely
- Halloween - oh god, I haven't even thought of Halloween

Still pounding away on my Summer Lovin' entry. My fingers are raw, my eyes red, the coffee's gone and I'm living on leftovers.... I sent my guy shopping today instead of going myself so the next week'll be interesting ....:eek:
 
Wife: Now that you're done with Summer story, I'd appreciate it if you waited a while to start another one.

Me: Let's see. Halloween is-

Wife: Oh, no you don't!
 
I've found it! I started a story in 2015 for that year's contest. I knew it was somewhere in my pile of incomplete stories but I'd forgotten the title and whether it was to be one of Og's or Jeanne's.

It's taken me two days to track it down. Was it worth the effort? Probably not. It needs drastic revision before I can continue with it.
 
...............
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Pile? Like stacks of paper? What? Why not organize your work by folders on your computer or have they upgraded the old typewriters to link to the internet? That's easy for me ask since I'm not the one who'd have to sort them.

I have folders in a sub folder of my documents. Many folders. Folders for possible stories started each year. Folders for each themed contest.

But I try to remove earlier drafts so that I only have the latest version. For possible Halloween stories the folder contains over thirty part completed stories. The one I'd lost hadn't been transferred from 2015 to 2017.
 
Since my last minute summer lovin entry got rejected, I started looking at my incomplete Halloween stories. Sadly none are really very good. I want snappy and fun, and all I've got are long winded and sad. I'll have to start from scratch.

Sigh.

I write sooooo darned slowly.
 
Damn. I wasn't going to do any stories this year but this is my favorite time of year and I'm not managing to write anything else anyway so . . . hrm . . .
 
Damn. I wasn't going to do any stories this year but this is my favorite time of year and I'm not managing to write anything else anyway so . . . hrm . . .

Make it Molly's journal from all the aborted attempts at gaining his attention to finally wearing Dresden down (from her viewpoint) and you've got my vote! (Even if it turns out to be a dream.) :D

Wife woke up and caught me tinkering with notepad and threw a hissy. *kicks dirt clod* Dunno if I'll have a Hallowienie worth slapping up for Oct2 or not. :(
 
I could never write stories about Summer Lovin” or Valentines Day, I admire the writers than can, and I am amazed at how talented some writers are!

My fingers are crossed that I can complete a Halloween story in time to post….
 
Make it Molly's journal from all the aborted attempts at gaining his attention to finally wearing Dresden down (from her viewpoint) and you've got my vote! (Even if it turns out to be a dream.) :D

Wife woke up and caught me tinkering with notepad and threw a hissy. *kicks dirt clod* Dunno if I'll have a Hallowienie worth slapping up for Oct2 or not. :(

No no, I'm not messing around with Jim's characters. I do have SOME humility. :rolleyes:
 
I never seem to be able to finish these in time. I always start out intending to make a quick wank story, then 18,000 and two months later I missed the deadline. :rolleyes:

Maybe I'll start on this tomorrow.
 
I very much doubt I will even try to enter this contest. 'Soft' horror suits me but not competitions and not hurried writing either. Haven't seen much of the 'added exposure' effect from contests, though some comments have been good previously.

Good luck to everyone, and stay safe with all the ghosts and monsters entering the scene.

Halin24
 
Back
Top