What gives with the 'Favorite' / 'Unfavorite' Crew?

Exquisition

Literotica Guru
I've noticed on many occasions now, people favoriting my story and then unfavoriting it some while later.

OK nothing in this perhaps, except that the people who do this seem to have a list of favorite authors in the dozens/100s.

Has anyone else noticed this? Do you think there's anything in this?

Maybe they're using the favourite feature as a bookmark, so they can come back and finish reading later. Then, when they're done, they unfavourite so they can bookmark something else without their favourites bit getting too crowded?

Just a theory, of course. Would be interested to see what others think.

Maybe they're using the favourite feature as a bookmark, so they can come back and finish reading later. Then, when they're done, they unfavourite so they can bookmark something else without their favourites bit getting too crowded?

Just a theory, of course. Would be interested to see what others think.

Have you noticed something similar?

btw this is a genuine 'out there' question, not an ego massage exercise.

I've noticed a lot seem to do it.

Yes

I've seen it a couple of times and wondered if I offended someone. Who knows...? The bookmark theory makes as much sense as anything else.

I like to think it's somebody reading one of my stories and getting off on it and saving it so he or she can do the same thing again. Then after a couple of weeks, it becomes old, and they unfavorite it and choose something else to wank or frig to.

It can also be somebody not finishing the story in one sitting and returning later to do so. Or it could be somebody wanting to download and print the story.

I kind of favor the book marking theory especially for multi part/chapter stories. I've done it in the past and will most likely do so in the future.

From my point of view it is not intended as an insult to ether the story or the author. Just an easy way way to keep track of a story. Up to a point it does tell you I really liked your story and will most likely vote you a high score if you keep up the good writing.

Mike

A lot of people use the 'Favorite' designation as a story bookmark and once they've read it your story is 'Un-favorited'. ;)

I've also thought the same thing, that they use it to book mark.

It's really annoying. You could try emailing them and telling them to stop, but that might backfire and make them do it constantly.

I've also thought the same thing, that they use it to book mark.

It's really annoying. You could try emailing them and telling them to stop, but that might backfire and make them do it constantly.

Why would you object to somebody favoriting you or one of your stories? :confused: Personally, I think of it as a compliment. :)

Well, I've been told I have a strange viewpoint but...

What I was thinking when I noticed it happen was that someone got too excited, messed around and came before they were expecting it. They favorited my work because I "just flat did it" for them.

Most of my work here is short since I've been told that I wouldn't know a short story if it walked up and gave me a blowjob while I sat my beer on it's head. So, I decided to practice short and gradually allow myself to work back towards the epic 1200 page printed novels I have written. The works I have submitted so far, I've tried to keep to one or two screens to see if I can make it work. Well, anyone can read a single screen or two at the most, several times in one day.

So, I figured that each time they looked, they came. And after awile, they got a little sore.

And so, they unfavorited me because I was just too much of a good thing.

Too conceited? Mmmm. Maybe. But, if you weren't the one that favorited and then unfavorited, how do you know I'm wrong? :cool:

So, be of good cheer. It just means you were too hot for them to handle too.:rose:

I think it's probably a means of bookmarking. On An Other site they have a 'library' where you can store things you noticed and want to put to one side to check out when you have a bit more free time on your hands. So to speak :D. With Literotica I suppose sometimes it's a means of people telling you they like your work without commenting but mainly it's to put it aside so they can come back to it, which they may do for a while then move away from it.
I feel proud on the other site that one of my stories is consistently in a high number of libraries as I assume this means people have put it aside to pop back to for a quick read rather than that they marked it out as a favourite. I think you should not worry when your work is unfavourited, especially since it seems you have a consistently strong string of favouritings. If people marked your work to go back to at all, it must be good.
xxx

Hurriedly adds in reassurance - but I'm sure it's not always unfavourited because it's not someone's cup of tea! I notice some people have HUGE lists of favourites and I presume they have a Spring clean now and then so they can add some of your latest stories :)

So is it somehow gauche to favorite a story and then when you are through with it (however many times it takes) UNFAVORITE it?

I tend to transition an author from fav work to fav author once they've established their place in my lists.

This happens through the use of fav story often times.

I am unapologetic for liking your story for however long that may last.

And yeah, if somebody emailed me about it, Id probably move them off all together unless they give me a solid reason as to why Im in the wrong or a good alternative.

So is it somehow gauche to favorite a story and then when you are through with it (however many times it takes) UNFAVORITE it?

I tend to transition an author from fav work to fav author once they've established their place in my lists.

This happens through the use of fav story often times.

I am unapologetic for liking your story for however long that may last.

And yeah, if somebody emailed me about it, Id probably move them off all together unless they give me a solid reason as to why Im in the wrong or a good alternative.

Nope. Just noticed and curious to know what other people think.

And there's plenty of good left-handers out there ;)

I go along with the bookmark theory as well. In my case much of my work is 5+ pages so I figure they see it and save it for when they have time.

Sometimes I've seen a person book mark a couple of stories, then fav me as an author and sometimes un-fav the stories.

In general I think getting un-faved as an author is more telling than a single story.

Another option to put out there-and I know we as authors hate to admit it- is that the person....

didn't like the story:eek:

Last edited:
I get stories unfavorited many times.

I think that it is partly because of my range of stories. A reader might like one, favorite another to read later, and then find that it is nothing like the story they read first.

Being favorited as an author seems to be different. I get very few unfavorites as an author compared with dozens of favorite/unfavorite for particular stories.

I get stories unfavorited many times.

I think that it is partly because of my range of stories. A reader might like one, favorite another to read later, and then find that it is nothing like the story they read first.

Being favorited as an author seems to be different. I get very few unfavorites as an author compared with dozens of favorite/unfavorite for particular stories.

I got a lot of new favs after my V-day story which was a sweet romance and nothing like my prior darker works.

I got a lot of comments saying "Can't wait ot read your other work"

Yeah, trust me, I lost just about all those favs and fairly quickly once they saw the rest of my stuff was incest/bdsm and incest mixed with bdsm.

...Another option to put out there-and I know we as authors hate to admit it- is that the person....

didn't like the story:eek:

I have carefully evaluated your premise and have found variables in it that make me question it's efficacy. To wit, the following.

While it is possible that as a woman who pads her bra or a man who runs a pair of socks down the right leg of his pants, a writer may "stuff" the first paragraph or three with passionate prose but end with a whimpering "oooooops" instead of an resounding "OOOOH!", it is more often the case that neither the foreplay nor the post-coital cigarette is actually their best work but somewhere in the middle with favoriting being the "Oh, my God, I think I love you!" moment that spills from the lips of a lover unbidden when approaching that apex of bliss just moments before it cascades around them.

While I will most likely continue to be my own worst critic, wondering why on earth anyone with more taste than a pubescent pimple-faced punk with a perpetually pulsating penis would find the child of my mental womb more enticing than a knothole in a particularly splintery fence, I do endeavour to teach her the proper make-up tips and accentuating clothing to mark out her best features. After all, there is no point in stuffing an A-cup in a wonder-where-they-went-bra when the little nymphette is shivering with anticipation to rip all clothing from her body and stand naked before her audience of one to wait to be ravished.

While the rest of your remarks do maintain the mark of well reasoned mental acuity, such as the use of the favorite list the way a teenage casanova would fill his cell phone with the numbers of girls he will most likely never call again once he rounds third base and slides into home a time or two, particularly as the favorite list has a limited storage capacity to hold the numbers of our potential playmates, I find it unlikely that the casanova would waste his time storing the number of a homely wallflower that he finds unappealing when there are dozens of dancing debutantes daring to desire deflowering.

I find it much more likely that the mental image of the self stimulating stud should suffer from premature ejaculation as his net pulls in more than he is actually able to handle and as he might run from a nymph that licks her way down his chest to take his fully flaccid phallus in her mouth in hopes of luring it to life for an eighth or nineth time, so too does he remove my little nymphs number from his favorite list when he finds that she is more than he can endure.

In summation;

Nah. The story got unfavorited because it was too hot. ;)

Wow that reply could be a story in itself.

Personally very few of my stories start "hot" I believe in building the story to deliver the goods, so I'm not big with the stroke crowd.

But I always put a disclaimer in my authors note that I take my time to tell a story so it may not be for a certain type of reader. I think that has helped me avoid more "un-favoriting"

Also the "child of my mental womb" is a sick twisted soul and has seemed to have found an audience that shares similar sickness.

End of the day, I don;t really put a lot of worry or thought into the favorites thing. Its nice to see someone like my work, but it doesn't upset me if I get "the boot"

I'm just trying to post an answer to the OP's question.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to clear out my cell phone:D

I kinda wish that when people were done with Literotica... or if they didn't view the site for six months, that all of their favorites would go away.

A lot of people on the top 250 list have been here for years. They have favorites accrued from all sorts of people who aren't even here anymore. And even if no one ever reads their stuff again, they still have those favorites.

It's really hard to carve yourself a niche up there. :(

I kinda wish that when people were done with Literotica... or if they didn't view the site for six months, that all of their favorites would go away.

A lot of people on the top 250 list have been here for years. They have favorites accrued from all sorts of people who aren't even here anymore. And even if no one ever reads their stuff again, they still have those favorites.

You're partly right. But also a lot of "dormant" writers still pick up0 new favs as well. People don;t really notice they have not written anything in years or even if they do, they still want to read the old stuff.

But I notice active writers will eventually pass them. I've gone past a bunch of the ones I used to be way behind on.

The only author on that list that ticks me off (no, not scouries) is a clown who has one lousy incest series. Its been going on for over 2 years now and its at a point its 6 months in between chapters and you can tell the guy has no clue what he's doing anymore, but he's on over 1600 favs with 25 chapters of the same crap over and over again.

I saw a new wrinkle to the favorite/unfavorite recently on a story that has me scratching my head. The comment on a story by someone who has favorited me as an author and left some favorable comments on other stories wasn't a favorable one--not a flaming one, just not favorable. And yet the reader favorited the story and hasn't been back to erase that.

My observation is that when favoriting, at least on stories, gets canceling, more than half the time it's because they bookmarked to read it when they had the time to. In any case, any time they unfavorite it's because they weren't impressed with the story enough to leave it favorited.

I've been here for years and I don't write as much as I did.

But I'll never get near the top 250 list.

What does happen when I enter a contest, is that a few people will look at my older stories. Votes and PCs appear on stories ten years old.

MANU Award winner disappears? Where is former #1 favorited author?

Back