Outlaws to the End (HotCider & heartofcourage)

Elizabeth smiled as Ian cupped her cheek and told her that she was worth every cent he’d spent so far. It warmed her heart to hear that and to know that he cherished her. He made her feel like she was the only girl in the world, one that was worth being protected and taken care of. Gently, she pressed her hand against his, squeezing his fingers as the chauffeur interrupted the moment to ask where to go.

After a short exchange, Ian was looking at her, asking if she was interested in seeing the opera. She had been to performances before and she enjoyed them, but she wasn’t so certain that it would be Ian’s cup of tea.

“Well, I wouldn’t mind, but are you sure that you want to? “ SHe asked him, giving him the choice to say yes or no.
 
Ian shrugged his shoulders. “I ain’t ever been to an opera, so how bad can it be? It’s somethin’ to do.”

He glanced back over to the chauffeur. “Just take us to the park for now.”

“Yes, Sir.”

The chauffeur rolled the privacy window back up and Ian took the opportunity to slide out of his seat and head over to the champagne bucket. He drew the bottle from the ice and sat across from Elizabeth, letting the chilled water drip on the floor as he peeled away the aluminum paper.

“I always wanted to do this,” Ian admitted with an excited smile. Apparently, he has never opened a bottle of champagne, but he had seen it done many times before. “It can’t be too hard.”

After getting the paper off, he started shaking up the bottle and through the green glass, the carbonation was beginning to build and turn white. Aiming the bottle to his left away from himself and his love, the cork fired with a loud pop and shot across the car to the window. Bouncing off the window, it ricocheted back to knock Ian’s hat clean off his head and then repel off the door across his lap to the floor.

The thief’s eyes were wide as the bottle bubbled over with foam. “Quite the Tell [William Tell] shot.”

Grabbing two flutes, he poured the crisp golden liquid into both glasses before he held one out to Elizabeth.

“Hm…I’m gonna have to come up with a new nickname for you. I can’t call you Sunshine no more.”

Setting the bottle back on the ice, he reclaimed his seat next to her and held out his glass for a cheer. “Cheers, Red Hot.”

He had named her after the candy she had bought him once upon a time.
 
Like a kid in a candy store, Elizabeth saw Ian’s eyes light up as he slide into the seat across from her and pull the champagne bottle from the shiny metal bucket. She smiled as he started to peel the paper away, shaking the bottle until the liquid bubbled inside. It amazed her how the little things in life seemed to fascinate him. It was refreshing to say the least.

She let out a shriek of surprise as the cock fired off with a loud pop and the liquid inside bubbled past the opening in a great foamy mess. She laughed loudly as the cork ricocheted into Ian’s hat, knocking it backwards before it came to land on the floor between them.

“I know. Kind of reminds me of someone last night…” She said, a cheeky smile on her face as he handed her a glass, her cheeks heating as she decided to be bold with him.

“Oh, come on. Sunshine can be red too.” She was fond of her little nickname, but she supposed that Ian was right. She couldn’t be Sunshine anymore.

“Cheers, Dapper Dan.” She clinked her glass against his, a smile on her face as she brought the brightly tart brew to her lips and took a sip. “You do look extremely handsome when you’ll all cleaned up. I’m going to have to watch you around the other girls. You might find one that you like more than me.”

"Course, they wouldn't be worth $10,000..."
 
Ian slinked his arm behind her as he lounged back in the seat, sipping his champagne. Dapper Dan…nah. It was funny to hear, but he couldn’t get used to it and he supposed that she couldn’t get used to Red Hot either.

“I honestly can’t imagine findin’ a gal that I would love more than you. I’ve been livin’ for quite the while now, and I’ve seen some fine women, but it was you who caught my eye that day. I don’t know, musta’ been those apples you struck with me. But hey…let’s not put this all on me. What about you, Smokin’ Hot?”

The thief playfully leaned in close to her, scowling at her as his voice fell dangerously low, “You find any rich gentleman that wanna take you away in his fancy smancy hot rod, you tell him to be careful. Any fella’ trynna’ take you from me, well shit…he’s gonna be headin’ back where he come from with a few less nuts.”

Ian then sat back with a long and proud smile as though he was serious business.
 
“Hmmm…I think the apples must have knocked some sense into that hard head of yours.” Elizabeth said as he slung his arm behind her along the seat, enjoying himself as it he were the king of the land.

Ian seemed so effortless in everything he did. From the way his hair lay in a sexy, tousled way to the way his clothing hung just right from his long frame…there were men out there that would have killed to be just like him. With Stephen, it was so forced and cold, part of a carefully constructed mask that he wore. It suited Ian perfectly.

She giggled as he leaned in and scowled at her, his voice a growl of possession as he warned her off of other men. The smile that crossed his features as he was finished made her grin and she leaned forward, her lips pressing to his smooth cheek.

“Don’t think you’ll have to worry about that. As long as they aren’t a better kisser than you, I’m staying right by your side where I belong.” She whispered against his ear, her nose nuzzling against his throat as she took in the clean, sweet scent of his cologne.
 
Ian’s smile lingered after she left another mark not on his lips this time but his cheek. As she nuzzled his neck, it took every ounce of willpower in his being to not just tackle her and ravage her in the backseat of such a luxurious vehicle. It had been a delicious idea…Elizabeth naked with her spiraling, red ripples and glowing creamy skin, lying vulnerable on the plush, grape-red carpet. Closing his eyes, Ian mentally slapped himself for allowing such a fantasy to enter his mind.

“Why do you torture me?” he asked her naughtily. “I’ve been nothin’ but a good boy today.”

The vehicle came to a stop, and they couldn’t have reached the park any sooner. The chauffeur stepped out of the vehicle and walked around to the sidewalk where he opened the door and informed, “We’re here. When you two are finished, I’ll be waiting right here for you.”

Ian brushed his cheek with the side of his hand and glanced at the mild, red lipstick that came off.

“Thank you,” Ian said to Elizabeth with a playful smile. He scooted out of the car and waited for her on the sidewalk.

Together, arm and arm, they started through the park, watching the children flying kites, throwing footballs, and playing tag. There were gentlemen and ladies sitting on the benches enjoying the sun, and feeding the ducks that gathered on the pond bank. The atmosphere was so peaceful that Ian for once didn’t feel like…well, Ian. It felt as though they had gotten their wish and were lovers, but the park had been too peaceful to the point that Ian couldn’t imagine he was there. His demons wouldn’t let him find peace for long. Deep in his thoughts, he thought about where he would be now if he never met Elizabeth. He glanced at her, pleasantly taking in her features. She seemed so happy. She was happy to be with him despite knowing that he was a thief, and tomorrow, everything was going to go back to being the way it was. They were both running and trying to find a better place in this world for themselves, and to do so, they had to rob a bank.

Ian had sunk into his silent meditation. Something he often did when they were driving cross country. It had always been unconscious for he never realized the serious expressions he would make when he was no longer conscious. No…he didn’t want Elizabeth to rob the bank with him. He couldn’t let her go down the same path he did; especially, when the job was always unpredictable. If she had ever gotten hurt, he would never forgive himself, and if he had gotten hurt, well, it would be easier for a kidnapped fiancée to continue her life without the title of bank robber on her head.

Despite being dressed so nice and wanting to be a good man, why was it that he still felt dirty and not good enough? He still felt like a damn bankrobber.
 
The day in St. Louis was absolutely beautiful. There were people everywhere enjoying the wonderful weather as she and Ian walked along the park’s path. Children were playing, lovers were talking, families were having picnics. Everything seemed so much more bright then Chicago. It was like a fairy tale.

Still, Elizabeth knew when Ian’s thought turned melancholy. It was almost as if a black storm cloud followed him around and turning her blue eyes towards his face, she saw the deep lines of thought etched into his features. She supposed that a man that had seen as much as he had needed time to reflect, but it was worrisome. She didn’t want their day ruined by bad thoughts.

“You think too much.” She said, bumping her hip into his as she finally got him to look at her. “Tomorrow is a day away, Ian. You’re with me, right now, in this beautiful place and I’m not going to let you brood.”

"Come on." She insisted, taking his hand and pulling him towards an area of the park that had a large, boistrous crowd gathered around.

Men were drinking cold beers and cheering as a game of baseball was being played. She grinned as she looked towards Ian, wondering if this would brighten his mood any. She didn't need a fancy, pompous man in her life. She needed Ian, warts and all. She truly hoped that he knew that.
 
Ian woke from his contemplations; his musings; his worries, and looked at Elizabeth after she had bumped his hip.

Tomorrow is a day away, Ian. You’re with me, right now, in this beautiful place and I’m not going to let you brood…Come on.

She took his hand and led him to a noisy area of the park that hadn’t been quiet. It had been full of cheering, smiles, and laughter. The smell of hot dogs was a thick aroma that hung around the bleachers. There was a baseball game going, and there hadn’t been any famous players; well, not nationally famous. They were common residents of St. Louis: storemen, churchgoers, teachers, all lining the bases, the outfields, and standing in the dug outs cheering each other on. It was clearly an underdog game and the city was brought together to enjoy it and root for their town heroes.

Ian smirked. He had to admit that the game did get him excited. Smiling at Elizabeth, he rested a hand on the small of her back and said, “Let’s go find a seat.”

They found a spot in the bleachers, and they watched the game go on. Ian was surprised that he had developed favorite players already, and he didn’t even know them. Homeruns were hit, bases stolen, and there were times where he got lost in the game, standing up to defend his favorite nobody when the umpire called an out rather than a safe.

“ARE YOU BLIND BUCKO?” Ian screamed.

The umpire turned around to frown at Ian before he yelled, “Hey, how about you sit down and shut your yap!”

Ian raised his fist and shook it at the umpire as he hollered back, “How ‘bout I give ya a fat lip? Ya mutt-faced bonehead!”

The umpire ripped off his chest protector and threw it to the floor before he marched over toward the bleachers. The game paused as baseball players ran from the dug out to hold the umpire back and spectators in the bleachers were clinging to Ian to keep him from going down and confronting the man.
 
Elizabeth loved the smirk on Ian’s face and saw his eyes light up as his hand pressed against the small of her back, guiding her towards the bleachers where they found two seats to watch the game. She’d never seen a baseball game in person before and found it difficult to follow the action, but the more she watched the more smitten she became. This was something that she could really come to enjoy.

She was absorbed in the game, watching the players hit the ball and run as the other team tried to tag them out. Suddenly, she saw Ian fly from his chair, screaming at the umpire after a call that he didn’t like. Her stomach clenched as the ump turned and returned the insult right back.

“Ian…” She said, pulling on his sleeve to try and get him to sit down. They didn’t need him making a scene.

The damage was done though and the umpire ripped off his chest protector, throwing it to the dirt as players moved to keep him restrained. Elizabeth was jostled around by members of the crowd that were keeping Ian from going after the man as well.

“You ain’t here to fight!” Elizabeth called out as she popped up beside Ian, her hands on her hips as she looked down at a very stunned umpire. “Get back to playing! I didn’t come to see a boxing match!”

She heard other people around her match her sentiments and she reached out, placing her hand on Ian’s chest to calm him back down as the ump scowled and grabbed his protector from the ground, putting it back on with a humph.

“And you need to sit your butt down before I refuse to have sex with you tonight.” She growled against Ian’s ear, knowing that certainly that statement would get his attention. "You're really close to ruining your chances to get lucky, bucko."
 
Ian and the umpire both broke eye contact to gaze at the fiery red-head. The bankrobber watched her talk the umpire down before she turned on him and had his cheeks glowing with embarrassment when she growled in his ear. Spreading his arms innocently, Ian smiled and said, “So I got caught up in the game, sue me.”

He then sat down as the game resumed. There were many more times where Ian had to bite his tongue and resist the urge to launch out of his seat. He instead turned the other cheek to the situation and pouted off to the side, away from Elizabeth so she wouldn’t see his irritation. To calm his nerves, Ian got himself a beer from one of the salesmen walking around with an icebox hanging from their shoulders. He quietly nursed from his drink, enjoying the remainder of the game as well as ignoring the umpire’s ridiculous calls.

The game eventually ended with the home team winning, and because Ian had favorites on both sides, it had been a win for him regardless. Smiling, the crowd was dispersing, engrossed in conversation about the game. Ian started from the game with his arm wrapped about Elizabeth. He disposed of his beer in a trash can as they headed back through the park to the limo.

“That was great,” Ian said with a pleased smile. The baseball game had really lifted his spirits.
 
Elizabeth grinned at her fella as he wrapped his arm around her waist and guided her away from the baseball field as the game had ended. She knew him almost too well and the pleased smile on his face was just what she wanted to see.

“I should have known you were more of a beer and peanuts kind of guy.” She said, kissing his cheek and tucking her head against his shoulder. “Just the way I like you too. Don’t go changing on me.”

As they got closer to the limo, the driver hopped out, opening the door for the both of them. Mindful of her dress, Elizabeth slid into the seat as demurely as she could, glancing over at Ian as he gave directions to some other location to the driver. What could he possibly have up his sleeve this time, she wondered.

“So, where to now, Romeo?” She asked him, taking a sip of the champagne that was still chilling in the metal bucket on the side board. “I bet if we looked hard enough we could find ourselves a boxing match. Have to be careful though because I wouldn’t want you hopping into the ring to take a swing at the ref.”
 
Ian poured himself a flute of champagne and asked, “Hey, am I taking you out or are you taking me out?”

He thought in brief silence before he said, “Instead of an opera, let’s go catch a movie.”

“They have a good horror movie playing at the Larkin Theater.”

Ian arched a brow at the news and smirked, “Oh yeah? I don’t know, wouldn’t want the Red Gorgeous havin’ nightmares.”

He sipped innocently from his flute, peeking at Elizabeth from the corners of his eyes.
 
“A horror movie?” Elizabeth asked, her brow furrowing as Ian slowly started to smirk at the chauffeur’s suggestion. “I’ve never seen a horror movie before.”

It was true. Sure she’d been to films in her time, but her mother had forbidden her to go to the horror films when they showed. Her brother loved them and she was always a little envious of the freedom that he enjoyed when he ran around town with his friends.

“Oh? Are you saying that I’m not brave enough to see one?” She asked, crossing her arms over her chest and giving Ian that “look”. “Looks like we’re going to be going to the Larkin Theater.”
 
I’ve never seen a horror movie before.

Ian lowered the glass and regarded Elizabeth with raised brows. “Really? Well then, this is gonna be worth every penny to see.”

The grin on the bankrobber’s face was enthusiastic and mischievous. Bless her heart; she had no idea what she was getting into.

Oh? Are you saying that I’m not brave enough to see one?

Ian glanced off to the side, his smile long like a fox as he playfully avoided her “look.”

Looks like we’re going to be going to the Larkin Theater.

“You heard the gal,” Ian told the chauffeur.

“Yes, Ma’am,” the chauffeur replied.

Ian finished the flute and placed it back inside the ice bucket with the wine. “If you have any nightmares, you can crawl into my bed. I’m sure I’ll make’em go away.” He brushed his hand along her thigh, giving his starving hands a mild taste to quench his urges momentarily. Elizabeth, there was something about her that drove him wild and it didn’t matter if she was blonde, black, or blue. They were meant for each other. He just knew it.

Larkin Theater.

The vehicle pulled up to the curb and the chauffeur executed the same routine. He opened the door for the couple and Ian stepped out to take Elizabeth’s hand. The chauffeur smiled at the pair and bade, “Enjoy the show.”

“We will,” Ian said, first speaking for the both of them before he corrected, “Well, I will.”

He then grinned teasingly at Elizabeth as he curled an arm about her waist. He led her over to the ticket window that had a steady flow of traffic. There weren’t too many couples that had chosen a horror movie as their first choice. Ian got them two tickets to see some movie called, “Frankenstein,” and heading inside, he stopped by the concessions to get them some popcorn. Once he got the bag, they walked inside the dark theater and he found them a seat in the center so they weren’t too close or too far away. Crossing a leg over his other, he nestled into his seat until he was comfortable, smiling as though he were anticipating a wonderful show [or more like Elizabeth’s fear]. He popped some kernels into his mouth before he offered the bag in her direction.
 
Pulling up outside the theater, Elizabeth was excited. It was another new experience, one of many that Ian had treated her to in the short time they had been together. As the chauffer pulled up in front of the theater, she took Ian’s hand and allowed him to help her out onto the sidewalk.

“Thank you.” She called over her shoulder as Ian curled his arm around her waist and led her to the ticket window.

“Frankenstein, huh? Like the book?” She asked him as he bought two tickets and ushered her inside. “Cause I’ve read the book and I have to say that it is kind of creepy.”

She held his arm as he ordered a bag of popcorn and then led them into the dark theater. They were seated in the center and there were a few other people around them. It was relatively empty in the theater and she smiled to herself as she snuggled up against his side.

“So do you like horror films?” She asked as she took a few kernels from the bag as she was offered, giving him a grin as a newsreel played on the screen before the show. “Are they really scary?”
 
Ian slid an arm around Elizabeth as she snuggled up to his side.

“They’re somethin’,” Ian answered. “This is probably my third time in a theater. Bein’ on the run, well, you don’t have time for some things.”

The theater darkened as the curtains rolled back to reveal the big glowing screen as it counted down to the beginning of the show. As the movie began, Ian found himself watching Elizabeth rather than the film. There was something about the dark that had felt so private. It felt as though they were the only ones in the theater, and he wanted to kiss her, make out with her…of all places and of all films. Why was Frankenstein his romance?

Ian resisted his urges, turning his attention to the film and forcing his interest until he actually caught up with the storyline. She had never seen a horror movie before, and he didn’t want to be the killjoy. The movie just started so…slow. He nodded a little until finally his head sank and he fell asleep.

It was already tomorrow. The heist was underway and with how the investors fell to the floor to the blare of the Tommy Gun, it had felt so real. Ian was wearing one of his crazy costumes and Elizabeth was right behind him with a scarf about her hair and black sunglasses hiding her eyes. The plan was going smoothly. The teller was filling up the bag as directed and Ian was smiling big as the bag seemed to expand to an exaggerated size. It grew to almost be as big as he was, but then, the sound of a gun shattered the excitement.

Ian, terrified, peered over his shoulder to see Elizabeth with a hand over her stomach and slowly falling to the floor. There was blood streaming past her fingers and the sight of her lying motionless filled Ian with so much rage and grief that he screamed and turned the Tommy gun on all the cops in the room, mowing every last one of them down.


The nightmare made Ian jump to his feet. He stood in the middle of the theater, staring wide-eyed, frightened, and oblivious. He had forgotten where he was, what day it was, or even what time it was.

IT’S ALIVE! IT’S ALLIIIII~VE!
 
As the movie started, Elizabeth stared at the screen in awe. The movie, so far, was completely unlike the book, but she found herself engrossed in the moving picture anyway. Ian was quiet and when she glanced towards his face, she noticed that he’d fallen asleep. A smile curled her lips as she squeezed his arm and pressed her lips to his cheek, letting him sleep as she watched the film.

The movie grew tense as Dr. Frankenstein continued his experiment and between flashes of lightening and dramatic music, the table was slowly lowered to reveal the monster moving. She could feel her heart racing, her eyes wide as she watched the doctor start to exclaim that the monster was alive.

Elizabeth screamed as Ian bolted out of his chair, standing up in the middle of the theater and looking around them with a wide eyed, wild expression. He looked scared out of his wits and her reaction had more to do with him then with the actual movie.

Grabbing his arm, she hauled him back down into his seat, her heart racing a mile a minute as her breath came out in quick, frightened gasps. When he finally sat down, she placed her palm on his cheek and turned his gaze towards hers, a questioning look on her face. She’d never seen him so scared before.

Not wanting to say anything and ruin the movie for anyone else, she pulled her lover in for a kiss. It was soothing and even in the darkened theater she could feel him slowly relaxing as her lips pressed gently against his.
 
Ian felt hands on his arm and his eyes darted to Elizabeth to see her trying to yank him back down in his seat. Seeing her sweet face relieved him so much. He sat back down in his chair and frowned at her softly in his embarrassment, while she was panting away as though she had seen a ghost.

“Sorry,” he whispered. He hadn’t meant to startle her. The kiss she gave him had been her forgiveness and after clinging to those lips he bowed his head to rest his forehead against her chest briefly as he mused over his dream. No, he couldn’t bear it. The idea of Elizabeth trying to handle the job tomorrow even bothered him in his sleep.

Ian sat back in his chair and rested a hand against his face. He was going to leave her thinking that she was going to run the heist with him tomorrow, but it wasn’t going to happen. It was best that she thought they were going to do it together than her worrying about him running it alone. She wouldn’t have understood that alone was sometimes how Ian Darcy operated best. Taking down a Collingwood bank seemed and was dangerous business, but there hadn’t been a bank he couldn’t crack.

Lowering his hand, Ian returned to watching the movie.

I got this, he thought. He was going to make Stephen shit his pants.

For the remainder of the movie, Ian was quiet, appearing to be watching the film when in actuality he was lost in that zone she hated seeing him in. His eyes were on the film, but they were distant and staring harshly at his thoughts. He was planning intensely.
 
There was nothing to be said as Elizabeth saw a frown settle on his lips, his words whispered in the darkened theater telling her that something had really disturbed him. She gave him a small smile as he leaned forward and pressed his forehead against her chest for a moment before he turned back to the movie.

Something was bothering him and she could see that his thoughts had turned internal. She hated when he retreated into himself but she decided to leave him be. Let him think and then he’d be back to the Ian that she knew and loved.

Taking his hand in hers, she laced her fingers through his and squeeze it lightly. Turning back to the movie, she found it hard the concentrate after Ian’s episode. Her mind was wandering, but she tried to make the most of the situation. Before she knew it, the lights were coming back on and the film had ended. People were exiting around them and she glanced towards Ian for a moment, still seeing him lost in his thoughts.

“So…where’s a bum like you going to take a girl like me for dinner?” She asked, trying to lighten the mood between them.
 
So…where’s a bum like you going to take a girl like me for dinner?

Waking from his thoughts, Ian smirked and arched a brow at Elizabeth. “Bum, eh? How ‘bout this bum take you down the street to Burger Joe’s? I hear they sellin’ brand new burgers that purr and bark when you bite’em. Only a quarter a bun.”

Standing and with her hand still laced with his, Ian helped Elizabeth to her feet, drawing her close until there was barely a slither of space between them. He gazed into her refreshing blues with his bronze and informed, “We’re goin’ to a classy restaurant called The Red Swan. I ain’t ever been to any place fancy, and honestly, I expect it to blow hot gas, but hey, we’re tryin’ new things right?”


The Red Swan had been exactly the way Ian described it, and there was a possibility that Elizabeth was very familiar with such formal dining. The amount of silverware on the table was giving the Southern man a headache and the soft symphony in the corner was making him feel underdressed despite spending fifty bucks on his suit. Ian felt as though he were in a foreign country as he gazed about at the pompous blowhards who were regarding him and Elizabeth as though they came dressed in curtains.

Ian was praying the food was at least better than the atmosphere. He swore the waiter had taken his order and he hadn’t a clue what it was. The whole menu had been in French and the waiter’s accent had been either genuine or fake. Either way, Ian still didn’t understand what the hell the guy was saying.

The entrée had arrived obscured in a silver platter. With his eyes half-lidded and expression completely sapped of all enthusiasm, Ian watched the chef set down the platter and then remove the lid as it gently resonated like a bell, revealing the tiny cut of filet that was as big as a coaster. Ian stared at the steak: pink yet garnished in herbs that only made it look pretty and painted in crisscross lines of steak sauces of differing shades. The bankrobber didn’t even blink when he stared at the eighty-dollar meal. Holding out his hand, he measured its width and was actually fascinated that it was small enough to fit in his palm, which meant he could have slapped the waiter in his ridiculous face with it if he wanted to. Retracting his hand, Ian calmly stood and grabbed his jacket from the back of his chair as he began to slip it back on.

“We’re leaving,” he told Elizabeth.

The waiter blinked his eyes. “Shall I box your meal for you, Monsieur?”

“Hm? What? Box? Oh sure, and mail it to the Department of Sweet Jesus No. You must be jokin’ pal. That piece of horse meat costs more than my suit and it’s not gonna fill this stomach. I’m a hungry man, and a hungry man needs a meal worthy of his wallet. I eat that hockey puck, and I wouldn’t be surprised if I shit roses and fart eau de toilette!” Ian exclaimed.

A nearby couple gasped in disgust at his language. Ian just gave the couple a dirty look before the waiter intercepted his glare.

“Sir, your language. You musn’t speak like that here. If you are displeased with your order, then I can perhaps arrange for something more to your liking?”

“What I like ain’t here.” Snaking his arm about Elizabeth’s waist, he said, “Let’s skip, Red. I’ll make it up to you.”


Ian was able to get some information from the chauffeur about a hot club called The Hoppin’ Robin. He had never been to a club before, and by the sound of it, it seemed like his kind of place and hopefully Elizabeth’s. Upon nearing The Robin, the jazz was a muffled din waiting to be released. As soon as they got past the doorman, the interior came alive in a way Ian had never seen. The music was deafening. An actual brass band was set up at the back wall as a sea of movers and shakers, writhed and stepped to the swift tempo. Ian clutched his hat, fearing it may fly off his head from the amount of activity crammed into such a small place.

“Holy cow! This place is kickin’!” Ian tried to holler over the noise. He then pointed over to the bar. “Let’s check out the bar. We can probably get somethin’ to eat there!”
 
A ritzy placed like The Red Swan didn’t seem like it would be up Ian’s alley. To be honest, it really wasn’t her thing either. She could have told him that it would be filled with pompous and stuffy old women and men and the food would be small portions and incredibly overpriced. Still, she didn’t want to rain on his parade.

Sitting across from him at a fancy little table, she could see the nerves start to make his body tense. Elizabeth smiled reassuringly at him as he looked around at the silverware and the tablecloth, his eyes wide as saucers as the waiter came to take their order. She knew a little French from her time at school and she felt capable of holding her own, but she nearly winced as Ian looked at the sharp dressed man with a bewildered look. This wasn’t the place for him but she didn’t have the heart to ask him to leave.

When the meal came, she watched Ian closely as silver cloche was pulled from his plate and he was presented with the tiny steak that had cost a fortune. She was about to open her mouth and ask him what was wrong when she was surprised that Ian calmly stood up and grabbed his jacket, turning towards her and telling her that they were leaving.

She was standing as Ian started to insult the chef. Her eyes were wide as she heard the gasps of the people around them and Ian shot them a dirty look before he turned back to the waiter.

“Ian…” She said softly, her voice full of warning as he snaked his arm around her waist and started to pull her from the place.

Once back in the limo, she stared at Ian as he got information for another club named the Hoppin’ Robin. “You know, you don’t have to take me to fancy places to impress me. I’m happy just doing normal things with you.” She told him, squeezing his hand during the drive to the club.

It was the kind of gin joint that she would never have been allowed to go to. The sound of a live jazz band wafted out the closed door and once they were inside, the sounds took hold of her senses and gave her a harsh shake. It made her smile and she glanced towards Ian with a genuine grin.

“Lead the way!” She called back to him as he suggested that they go to the bar and get something to eat. “Maybe something to drink too!”
 
Last edited:
Maybe something to drink too!

“Of course! And hey, what kind of man would I be to not take his girl some place fun?” Ian asked with a smirk. They reached the bar and Ian hailed the bartender and received a menu from him.

“You drink?” Ian asked Elizabeth as he flipped through the menu. “Get me a whiskey and cola.”

The bartender nodded and went to fetch Ian his beverage. “If you need help with anythin’ just let me know. I’m gonna warn ya. I may drink a little and get a little tipsy, but I swear I won’t overdo it. It’ll be just enough to get me in the mood, ya know?”

When the bartender returned with his tumbler and two bottles, Ian ordered a chili dog and fries and started on his whiskey-shot, chasing the liquid with some coke as he awaited his meal. Bowing his head, Ian gasped, cooling his throat from the burn of the carbonation and alcohol and said with a smile, “Whiskey; never fails me.”
 
Back
Top