Ladies: You are not a princess.

Debbie

Persnickety slattern
Another slogan: "Yes, one boob is usually bigger than the other. Nothing to be concerned with."

That's an awesome ad campaign. I thought I wasn't going to like it but I actually really, really do. I like the message, the minimalist design, everything.

That because Barbie is

No we're not princesses. I blame Barbie.
That bitch has everything. The plane, the cars, the shoes!
The rest of use have to work for it.

No we're not princesses. I blame Barbie.
That bitch has everything. The plane, the cars, the shoes!
The rest of use have to work for it.

The fuck makes you think she didn't work for it?

You know why she's a supermodel, educator, astrophysicist?

Because she went through College

8894260509_83f25e04b7_z.jpg

Because she worked shitty jobs

Barbie%20McDonalds%20Cashier.jpg

She's fought for her country

http://t1.***********/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR0_dKr3viCQn9watoR_v3zGjuomYq3Tzy6isANSDTZkGG8T8mT

She's paid her dues.

She even ran for president 4 times!

president-barbies-sm.jpg

I am too one.

I just need to convince someone to treat me as one, then I will be all good.

My eldest aunt was never a princess. When she was young she had to intercept her dad (my grandfather) between work and the public house to make sure she got money for the family to live on. If she missed him, she would go on the public house and shame him into giving her some money.

She went to evening classes when women at them were a rarity, and qualified as a Lady Typewriter. That was a high tech job in 1907 and enabled her to sponsor her brothers training to pass Civil Service examinations.

Throughout her life she out-earned her brothers even though women were paid far less for comparable work. In her late 80s she started a ran a youth club in South London for young men, usually of West Indian descent, who had been in trouble with the Police. She accepted referrals from the Probation service and Youth courts. Most of those who attended her club did not re-offend. She was very unhappy with those who did and would tell them off, from her full height of 4 feet 10 inches. They were more polite to her than to the Police, the courts or their parents.

When she died, the pall bearers were former members of her youth club. Her coffin was followed by hundreds including a Police guard of honour. After the funeral the Police and her 'graduates' decided to continue her work as partners.

She was never a princess, never wanted to be. She stood on her own two feet and made her own way.

I call my oldest Princess, she doesn't take it as helpless or pampered. She is kind and polite to everyone she meets, her heart is for civil service and always has been. Her goal is to eradicate childhood hunger in our community, she is smart, she is beautiful, she is sweet. I don't mind the princess label because I PARENT my child.

It's a shame when we have to focus on a label instead of the child.

My eldest aunt was never a princess. When she was young she had to intercept her dad (my grandfather) between work and the public house to make sure she got money for the family to live on. If she missed him, she would go on the public house and shame him into giving her some money.

She went to evening classes when women at them were a rarity, and qualified as a Lady Typewriter. That was a high tech job in 1907 and enabled her to sponsor her brothers training to pass Civil Service examinations.

Throughout her life she out-earned her brothers even though women were paid far less for comparable work. In her late 80s she started a ran a youth club in South London for young men, usually of West Indian descent, who had been in trouble with the Police. She accepted referrals from the Probation service and Youth courts. Most of those who attended her club did not re-offend. She was very unhappy with those who did and would tell them off, from her full height of 4 feet 10 inches. They were more polite to her than to the Police, the courts or their parents.

When she died, the pall bearers were former members of her youth club. Her coffin was followed by hundreds including a Police guard of honour. After the funeral the Police and her 'graduates' decided to continue her work as partners.

She was never a princess, never wanted to be. She stood on her own two feet and made her own way.

A much better role model than a "princess"! She made herself into a true Queen, in the best sense of that word.

It's a shame when we have to focus on a label instead of the child.
it's not about people using cute pet names, it's about women growing up thinking a man is the answer to her problems. kids are raised on a diet of stories, films & merchandise that champion the image of the beautiful, perfect, helpless princess who gets saved from pretty much everything by a prince, at which point the story ends happily ever after.

I didn't have fairy tales or Disney princesses in the house. they're toxic. I did call my daughter princess.

it's not about people using cute pet names, it's about women growing up thinking a man is the answer to her problems. kids are raised on a diet of stories, films & merchandise that champion the image of the beautiful, perfect, helpless princess who gets saved from pretty much everything by a prince, at which point the story ends happily ever after.

I didn't have fairy tales or Disney princesses in the house. they're toxic. I did call my daughter princess.

I can understand this, of course. But whose fault is it if your (not YOURS but a general your) children aren't raised to understand that success takes hard work and fairytales aren't real?

Just using a blanket statement of "You're not a princess (because being a princess is bad, mmkay?)" seems like a short sighted message.

And life is rough, it's hard, some happy stories aren't the end of the world, I like books with happy endings but I'm aware they're fiction. It's my job to make sure my kids understand the same.

I can understand this, of course. But whose fault is it if your (not YOURS but a general your) children aren't raised to understand that success takes hard work and fairytales aren't real?

Just using a blanket statement of "You're not a princess (because being a princess is bad, mmkay?)" seems like a short sighted message.

And life is rough, it's hard, some happy stories aren't the end of the world, I like books with happy endings but I'm aware they're fiction. It's my job to make sure my kids understand the same.
that'd be cool if all parents were smart, if all parents recognised the needs to teach their kids those values.

I hate those pop idol/American idol type shows for the same reason. they have kids believing that the best way to make it big is this audition, when the real deal is to work your arse off, get some skills, practice, push, and have some qualifications to fall back on.

...but I also hate Christmas. i'm a self confessed scrooge.

that'd be cool if all parents were smart, if all parents recognised the needs to teach their kids those values.

I hate those pop idol/American idol type shows for the same reason. they have kids believing that the best way to make it big is this audition, when the real deal is to work your arse off, get some skills, practice, push, and have some qualifications to fall back on.

...but I also hate Christmas. i'm a self confessed scrooge.

Actually its mostly luck. I mean, Jesus did miracles and fed starving kids in his 3rd world country, and they hanged him anyway.

Back