Eye strain and page color

JackLuis

Literotica Guru
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Posts
21,855
I've been putting in a lot of hours looking at a white screen and black times roman and noticed I've been getting headaches, not bad but irritating ones.

I was wondering if there was a way to get word to use different colored 'paper'?

I had been using comic sans in a dark green previously and didn't seem to have this problem.

Anyone have any hints?
 
I sometimes post my slides on Powerpoint with white writing on a black background. You could send it all to Powerpoint?

I'm sure there must be a way to make the background paper a different colour. If nobody else comes and says, I'll look into it. (She says lazily, stretching out one paw for another breakfast pastry.)
:rose:
 
I've been putting in a lot of hours looking at a white screen and black times roman and noticed I've been getting headaches, not bad but irritating ones.

I was wondering if there was a way to get word to use different colored 'paper'?

I had been using comic sans in a dark green previously and didn't seem to have this problem.

Anyone have any hints?

Jack, get your eyes thoroughly checked, ASAP.
I had a similar problem and was told that the headache was concentration due to the eyes being at a slightly different focus.

A change in colour (black on light grey or tan), but I think a change in on-screen font size might ease it a bit. Personally, I don't use Times Roman; it's a 'compressed' fount (don't forget it was designed for a newspaper), and have a good think about a more 'open' one, such as Bookman Old Style or Century Schoolbook, say, 12pt on screen. It looks weird, but it does work well.
If you need a TTF fount and I have it, do let me know.


If you ARE sentenced to wearing corrective lenses, don't forget to tell the optician (optometrist?) how far your eyes are from the screen; it took me ages to get this bit right. IT ain't necessarily the same as 'normal reading distance'.

:)
 
I will go and get my eyes checked, thanks HP.

The glasses I use for writing are set up for computer work because if I use my bi-focals, my neck gets stiff from having to hold my head back so far I fall off my chair! That will give you a major headache too. :eek:

But the day has expired here and I'm off to bed, now that you English are up to your tea and marmalade.

I've got about 11000 words down and still haven gotten Roberta OR her mom laid. I must be slipping.:(
 
From an ergonomic standpoint, check your screen angle. Sometimes you can strain you neck holding your head at an improper angle to view the screen causing a tension headache.
 
In Word got to Tools, options, General, blue background with white text.

That is the only color option Word 2000 has but it does ease eye strain.

Courier size 12 font helps also.
 
Jack, not sure what word you are using, but I have 2007 and my wife has 2010 and up at the tool bar both have a feature for page colors. You can choose from a bunch of colors and shades of each.

Also being legally blind in one eye I am very paranoid with my good eye(which is 20/20) sometimes if I have been writing awhile even if I have no issues I write in a larger text and just switch it back later when I am ready to post it.

The large font and changing backgrounds is also a good trick when editing, because it gives the entire thing a "fresh" look.

Another trick is if you have a lap top lean the screen back and look at it at more of a downward angle.

But I agree with Handley if the issues keep up, get yourself checked out.
 
I've been putting in a lot of hours looking at a white screen and black times roman and noticed I've been getting headaches, not bad but irritating ones.

I was wondering if there was a way to get word to use different colored 'paper'?

I had been using comic sans in a dark green previously and didn't seem to have this problem.

Anyone have any hints?

I use a black background and white text. No headaches for me and I am quite prone.

It is possible to change it for Word, but not with Word.

You have to go through your display properties, at least in XP.

Right click on a blank section of desktop>properties

The basics are here: Direct From Microsoft

Be careful though when messing with text colors and background, stuff might be 'invisible'

+takes awhile, but a customized color scheme is where it's at.
 
I write in a larger text and just switch it back later when I am ready to post it.

Writing in a larger font size and then switching it back later, is an excellent technique. Many publishers insist upon the use of a specific font(s) in a specific point size. Thus, the writer can use an easy to read point size and then switch it back, before submission.
 
Thanks all, I'm trying green 14 pt. comic sans this morning and I think my word is 2003, but will ask "Help," which general isn't much.

I'm hoping to get Roberta at least kissed today. Romances are a lot less exciting than group sex, don't you think? :)

edit
Thanks guys/gals. I found that my Word allows a blue background and That seems much more restful, I'm trying it with lime green fount and may not need the 14 points.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top