When is the next official contest? Is this a good time for a proper FAWCing?

Still kind of new here so I don't know what a FAWCing is, but I recently wrote a submission for Mature (Love in the Twilight) that used a song for it's theme - Dream a Little Dream of Me by Mama Cass - so I'm up for the challenge.

A FAWC is a "friendly anonymous writing challenge." There have been three so far, all organized a bit differently. In the first one, the stories were all about writers having to experience the sexual experiences they will write about. In the second, writers were randomly assigned four "ingredients" to sue in their story. In the most recent one, a picture was chosen and all of the stories used that as a source.

The stories are first posted under an account name of "FAWCker," and then later they can be moved to the writer's own page.

As you can see, the front-runner for the next FAWC theme is music.

A FAWC is a "friendly anonymous writing challenge." There have been three so far, all organized a bit differently. In the first one, the stories were all about writers having to experience the sexual experiences they will write about. In the second, writers were randomly assigned four "ingredients" to sue in their story. In the most recent one, a picture was chosen and all of the stories used that as a source.

The stories are first posted under an account name of "FAWCker," and then later they can be moved to the writer's own page.

What a great explanation I am going to borrow it to send to my partner in the other challenge because they asked me about the FAWC. I told them they should enter but i didn't explain it this well.

I'll post an "official" thread for FAWC 4 as the start time gets closer. There's still over a month before it begins, so there's no rush to do it and I didn't want it to conflict with the Earth Day contest.

I've done one story based on a song, so why not another. Time permitting of course.

My speed is more like Bobbie Gentry's "Ode to Billie Joe" (that's inspired a couple of my stories and poems). Or Oddis Redding's "Dock of the Bay."

Those, and someone (in response to this thread) has sent me URLs to Loreena McKennitt ballads that I could write a story to. I also could write to Aine Minogue or Sting’s “Songs from the Labryinth,” especially this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBJkb5wrw-Q.

But I'm willing to bet this isn't anything like what will come up on an approved list.

That said, I've now written a story to an "author's choice" on a song connection now and will just submit that to the regular file when this exercise comes up.

Last edited:
I am a music lover, of all types, it moves me, so I am definitely in.

I'm torn as to how best to organize. Would it be better to let each author provide their own song, as to what moves them, whether it be opera, rock, classical, jazz, etc.

Or should it be ONE song that everyone has to write to, like how everyone had to write to the same picture? I wasn't crazy about that picture, but I wrote a story based on it that I really loved.

Or, do we supply a short selection of songs? A list to choose from? Hmmmm ... I don't have a good answer to any of this, so I'll just say I'm in, no matter what. ;)

Or should it be ONE song that everyone has to write to, like how everyone had to write to the same picture? I wasn't crazy about that picture, but I wrote a story based on it that I really loved.

Unfortunately, song lyrics (in particular) and tunes are much more specific than an image is.

Unfortunately, song lyrics (in particular) and tunes are much more specific than an image is.

Which is why I wanted to go with a group of songs. ;)

Oh, and you might be surprised at what ends up on the list, sr. I've always been a huge Sting fan ;)

Back