I have an idea - let's drug test Trump.

AnAmericanDarling

Really Experienced
I read that disgusting thread about how some food stamp recipients might need drug testing in the future. How about drug testing Trump? He's not the most stable of presidents. Hell, even Reagan looked like a prince compared to him.

Other than wasting money what's the problem with drug testing welfare recipients? :confused:

We drug test for damn near everything else.

By all accounts Trump is a teetotaler and vehemently anti-drug. Zero reason to think otherwise.

Other than wasting money what's the problem with drug testing welfare recipients? :confused:

We drug test for damn near everything else.

Equal treatment under the law.

So if Congress and the Executive are going to require drug testing as a condition for getting money for food, we should test Congress and the Executive as a condition for receiving salaries and benefits from the taxpayers. So that logic will apply to Social Security recipients, retired or inactive military, and anyone who receives assistance from the public domain.

Courts have ruled it's illegal.

Not if one consents to it. If someone's desperate enough, they'll agree to anything to land a job or whatever is most important to them. Food and shelter would rank close to the top on a sensible list of priorities.

It's a very common practice of the employer when they 1st meet an applicant. To me, it's a sign that employer cares enough about they're business to take such a precaution.

There was a fascinating piece on the radio here yesterday about the problems with unfulfilled jobs in Ohio even where hundreds of thousands are out of work. Apparently, a large part is opiod addiction and the ubiquitous drug-testing.

Why do US companies drug test so routinely? I have heard of it from friends looking for work in the US. I have never ever heard of it in the UK.

It was started by Reagan with his "just say no" shtick. With government contract companies. But then the insurance companies got a hold of it. Essentially now it's a cash cow. There's an entire industry devoted to it.

Not if one consents to it. If someone's desperate enough, they'll agree to anything to land a job or whatever is most important to them.

It's a very common practice of the employer when they 1st meet an applicant. To me, it's a sign that employer cares enough about they're business to take such a precaution.

Private businesses can do what they want. I'm talking about it being illegal for the government to drug test without a good reason.

It was started by Reagan with his "just say no" shtick. With government contract companies. But then the insurance companies got a hold of it. Essentially now it's a cash cow. There's an entire industry devoted to it.

That would be so true.

I've done it often in contractual labor working for construction type companies. Each contract is different and I've taken various tests each time I 'legally' applied for each job. Never had a problem.

After a while of doing that, I began getting calls to work at different sites for different companies. I knew/know the spill and processes they go through well before I actually signed any paper. Common knowledge in my case.

Equal treatment under the law.

So if Congress and the Executive are going to require drug testing as a condition for getting money for food, we should test Congress and the Executive as a condition for receiving salaries and benefits from the taxpayers. So that logic will apply to Social Security recipients, retired or inactive military, and anyone who receives assistance from the public domain.

Public assistance =/= salaries from employment =/= compensation and pension.

Try again.

Private businesses can do what they want. I'm talking about it being illegal for the government to drug test without a good reason.

A good reason?

LOL "Because" is all the reason they've ever needed.

Like I said they can make everyone else get tested....why not welfare recipients?

I'd love to know what was coursing through Bill Clinton's blood stream when he tore up a knee at 2 a.m. at Greg Norman's palatial Florida estate. I'd also like to know what ol' Bill was chasing when the knee went south.

A good reason?

Like I said they can make everyone else get tested....why not welfare recipients?

I suppose it fits right into Repugnican thinking to starve poor people as a form of punishment for using drugs. The money saved on food assistance can then help pay down some of the deficit caused by tax breaks that primarily benefit the rich.

Yeah, that makes sense from a Repugnican point of view. Drug usage is only considered a health issue if you have money to pay for health care. Otherwise, it is simply a crime.

I suppose it fits right into Repugnican thinking to starve poor people as a form of punishment for using drugs. The money saved on food assistance can then help pay down some of the deficit caused by tax breaks that primarily benefit the rich.

Nah, the drug tests cost will WAY outweigh any savings.

And no shit tax breaks primarily benefit the "rich" .....they are the only ones who pay all the taxes.

Yeah, that makes sense from a Repugnican point of view. Drug usage is only considered a health issue if you have money to pay for health care. Otherwise, it is simply a crime.

Kinda.

It's only a health issue if your buying the drugs from the RIGHT sources (government approved ones).

If you're not buying from government approved sources like the Booze joint or big pharma THEN it's suddenly a crime.

Isn't government wonderful!?!?! :D

Nah, the drug tests cost will WAY outweigh any savings.

And no shit tax breaks primarily benefit the "rich" .....they are the only ones who pay all the taxes.

It's only a health issue if your buying the drugs from the RIGHT sources (government approved ones).

If you're not buying from government approved sources like the Booze joint or big pharma THEN it's suddenly a crime.

Isn't government wonderful!?!?! :D

You are right, there will be no money saved by drug testing the poorest of the food program recipients, but it gives the Repugs the illusion that they are saving money, and that's how they get votes.

Much of the tax burden has been shifted to the middle class, not the super rich.

It is not simply a matter of source to determine if drug usage is treated as a health issue. If you are rich, any drug usage problem (legal or street) suddenly becomes a health issue, where you need to go to a swanky place and get therapy and massages. For the poorest people, drug usage is a primarily a punishable crime.

And, you are continuing to live in your libertarian fantasy world with your blanket statement about government. There is good government, and there is bad government. Depends upon the people in the government.

You are right, there will be no money saved by drug testing the poorest of the food program recipients, but it gives the Repugs the illusion that they are saving money, and that's how they get votes.

Not that they are saving money....(R)'s clearly don't give a fuck about that shit and apparently neither do any of their voters. Spending the country into the gutter is ONLY bad when (D)'s do it!!

It's that they are punishing those who the tax payers are being punished to support.

Much of the tax burden has been shifted to the middle class, not the super rich.

No, it hasn't it's been shifted to the consumer. Which disproportionately butt fucks the poor/middle class harder. YAY!!!! Raise those gas taxes!!

When you're talking about income/property/luxury taxes the upper 1/4 of the country pays for lions share.

It is not simply a matter of source to determine if drug usage is treated as a health issue. If you are rich, any drug usage problem (legal or street) suddenly becomes a health issue, where you need to go to a swanky place and get therapy and massages. For the poorest people, drug usage is a primarily a punishable crime.

Oh yea well that's just green privilege and without ending the failed war on drugs that shit ain't changing anytime soon.

And, you are continuing to live in your libertarian fantasy world with your blanket statement about government. There is good government, and there is bad government. Depends upon the people in the government.

Liberal, not libertarian.

And I disagree, there is necessary government...and there is unnecessary (and almost always glutenous) government.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about the drug testing or its effectiveness in solving any problem.
I do have a problem with the hate and hysteria aimed at anyone who would support it.
As it is with a job, you are going to either comply with their demands or you're going to seek employment elsewhere.
As it is with public assistance, you are going to comply with the demands or you're going to have to seek out private assistance.
TANSTAAFL

Public assistance =/= salaries from employment =/= compensation and pension.

Try again.

A good reason?

The Constitution specifically says otherwise. As a point of fact the government does not drug test "everyone".

I posted this elsewhere but it applies.

In the bright world of the future, every human (and some chimerae, hybrids, and cyborgs) on US territory will be implanted with chips that reveal identity, location, and current bloodwork when triggered. Our biochemistry will be known. In response, drug designers will whip out new venoms on an hourly basis, to be produced by home 3D printer-biochemical-synthesizers. It'll be never-ending escalation. Enforcers will lose.

Ubiquitous surveillance will include constant drug monitoring. Get ready.

Back