Flashfic thread: Rotating themes

How many posts to change the topic?


  • Total voters
    54
Stella_Omega said:
Because of the overage?

I discovered that it's almost impossible for me to say anything about music in less than 250 words... :)

It's impossible for me to say anything in a story form in less than 1000 words. :rolleyes:
 
cheerful_deviant said:
It's impossible for me to say anything in a story form in less than 1000 words. :rolleyes:
It's the tiniest taste of whipped cream licked from the tip of an lover's finger, not the entire cake...
 
7 of 10--
glynndah said:
It's the tiniest taste of whipped cream licked from the tip of an lover's finger, not the entire cake...
This is true of lyrics as well, so I’ve learned. I was never able to write them; I kept trying to put everything into them, and so they’d be clumsy and pedestrian. I finally learned the trick to it, though- leave plenty of room for the music. Trust the melody and the instruments to tell your story, and let the words ride on top, let them allude and accent. Let the words be the commentary. Pop music is about emotions, really, no matter what the words are about... (Christ, if only my bandmates agreed with me! )


:rolleyes:
 
8/10 Music

Unbidden tears leaked from the corners of my eyes as the carousel music swam in my head. I sat on the bench with the boy, and we watched the girl in the blue coat ride round and round.

“The thing with kids is,” the boy said, “if they want to grab for the gold ring, you have to let them do it, and not say anything. If they fall off, they fall off, but it’s bad if you say anything to them.”

The tears coursed down my cheeks, the music played, and it began to rain.
 
9/10 Music

The notes slid down my spine a shivering wash, and all I felt was cold. Standing in the rain, staring into the dark, with this song playing at this moment I should have felt something. It was the song we danced to at our wedding, after all. The song that played while I labored with our children, the lyrics our life together began with.

But all I felt was cold, and the only tears on my face came from the rain pouring down from above.
 
drksideofthemoon said:
That's nice of you to say that, but I'm really not that interesting.

If you were truly uninteresting, you would be in a La-Z-Boy in front of the TV with the remote in one hand and a can of beer in the other. Instead, you are here writing beautiful and, yes, interesting things.
 
10 of 10 music

My fingers were blistered. I was drenched in sweat and I was happy. The last notes faded, washing across the arena and I looked across the sea of bodies, blue lights waving back and forth in a hypnotic, surreal flow. I looked offstage to my left. She was smiling. She blew me a kiss and at that, I hammered into the encore with a familiar fat sound. The band kicked in and we soared.

Next topic: Water (ETA: for Stella)
 
Last edited:
drksideofthemoon said:
That's nice of you to say that, but I'm really not that interesting.

Don't make me come all the way to Vegas! *glares* I'll kick your ass for saying stuff like that about yourself. :p :kiss:
 
1 of 10 for water

She stared at the painting. He’d done her in oil, a classic pose. Those were good times, when they biked and enjoyed lazy afternoons at the ballpark watching their mediocre double A team. They’d met at a jazz concert and shared a searing heat that refused to fade. Outside, storm clouds gathered. She stared at the painting and a single tear escaped. He was coming home after seven months over there, but not with the warmth of life.

(Anybody notice anything?)
 
jomar said:
1 of 10 for water

She stared at the painting. He’d done her in oil, a classic pose. Those were good times, when they biked and enjoyed lazy afternoons at the ballpark watching their mediocre double A team. They’d met at a jazz concert and shared a searing heat that refused to fade. Outside, storm clouds gathered. She stared at the painting and a single tear escaped. He was coming home after seven months over there, but not with the warmth of life.

(Anybody notice anything?)

You just did all the themes so far. :cool:
 
tickledkitty said:
If you were truly uninteresting, you would be in a La-Z-Boy in front of the TV with the remote in one hand and a can of beer in the other. Instead, you are here writing beautiful and, yes, interesting things.

Thanks... :)
 
2/10 Water

A bright flash of lightning followed by the loud rumbling of thunder awakened her. Then came the rain. First a few loud drops hit the window pains and then a torrent. The fresh earthy scent drifted through the open window bringing memories of another stormy summer night with it—memories of making love on the grass, the rain cooling their naked bodies as they slid against one another.

She felt the curl of arousal low in her belly as another flash of lightning illuminated his face on the pillow next to her. He was snoring softly. Should she wake him?
 
3 of 10, and a snippet of slash ;

Charlie's mouth is hot and sweet, and his tongue is eager and strong, and Jamie gasps and sucks at it, pulling it deeper, and twines it with his own. Charlie comes around and rolls over him and pushes him splashing down into the shallow water— the rippling verge of which tickles his scalp and neck— Jamie pinned between the silky muddy pond bottom and this silky heated body that has dropped its considerable weight on him with no sense of courtesy, and is rubbing a ready cock against his and making the most delightful little whimpering sounds— until Jamie gets ahold of the boy's ears, and pulls him away; "Charlie, Charlie!"
 
4 of 10 Water

Coughing and sputtering, Neal bobbed to the surface in time to watch the shattered hulk of the cabin cruiser slip beneath the waves.

"Neal, over here" came Jessi's voice. Spotting her among the rolling swells, he swam over and they hugged, exchanging salty kisses as they clung to the one life jacket.

"Neal, what..." she began. "Propane tank", he muttered, "I told that damn fool..." Jessi began to cry and Neal held her close, the sun's glare off the water making his eyes sting.

Neither of them saw the first fin break the water.
 
Last edited:
5 out of 10
Water

She was wet and cold, standing by the side of a dark, lonely country road in the torrential summer rain. She shivered, her thin cotton dress transparent in the downpour falling from the sky. She wrapped her arms around herself, trying to decide what to do.

She pushed the sodden strands of her hair out of her eyes and took a deep breath. The tears streaming down her face blended with the cool rain. Wondering how things had gone so horribly wrong so fast, she began the long walk home as the taillights of his car receded into the distance.


(100 words exactly)
 
6 of 10
Water

The chill of the water cut across her face as she dove further down. She kept pushing herself, willing her arms and legs not to tire so quickly.

She reached out and wrapped her arms around his chest, beginning an even ascent to the surface with him in tow. I'll not lose you, not today, her only thought.
 
Last edited:
7 of 10 Water

The water dripped from the pan leaving stones and debris behind. If you were lucky there would be some shiny flakes of gold on the bottom as well. All up and down the river people claimed a spot as their own.

It was early spring and the water was still close to freezing in the mornings. Even with the heavy boots, within a couple hours people would be dropping on the shoreline complaining of no circulation in their legs.

The water looked friendly and mild.
But she could suck your life as you knew it right away from you.
 
Stella_Omega said:
Water seems to bring out the despair and melancholy for some of us, eh? :)

Something to do with birth trauma, I'm guessin'. ;)
 
Back
Top