The Huntress.....Predator

Jagged

Literotica Guru
Joined
Jan 9, 2004
Posts
3,659
OOC

One entry found for predator.
Main Entry: pred·a·tor
Pronunciation: 'pre-d&-t&r, -"tor
Function: noun
1 : one that preys, destroys, or devours
2 : an animal that lives by predation


The Setup

There is a whole stretch Pennsylvania has nothing on it on the map. It is empty between cities. Long stretches of endless road way. Nothing to do except deer hunt, fish and farm. Many small towns dot the way. Pull off an exit and you find a motel, diner, gas station and the other little charms of a small town. Some people love it and live in harmony with the land while others abuse it. Some hunt to the point of slaughter. Killing bears, deer, and other game for trophies and illegal purposes. These people are seldom locals, and the federal government is always hard pressed to enforce the law in these vast regions.

As of the last ten years though someone has been bringing justice to the lawless...A hunting party that killed bear cubs were all killed with bow and knife......A crystal meth lab setup in a trailer was burnt to the ground and all the bikers were killed. Great pains were made for the fire not to spread and a teen prostitute was allowed to leave. She described a man dressed as a hunter....well armed and with a bandana over his face. A corrupt park ranger who was selling animal skins was hung in his station with barbed wire......These were just a handful of incidence of vigilanty justice. The last one though was which brought in the federal government into a "local" matter. The county sheriff had no leads over the years. Just some tracks of a size 8 1/2 army boot, some arrows, and alot of shell casings. There was a rumor that Jake Thompson's boy came back to town to settle up the family estate didn't go back to Pittsburg. Say he sold the farm, and tools bought alot of ammo and supplies and headed out to the woods. Could be he just missed the high school reunion.



So the feds sent someone to find this "beastman" the locals talk about at the diner. Should just take a few weeks....the locals were just not trying to hard.


What I am looking for is a lady that can love the hunter. The dark warrior they doesn't let him be loved. She comes to make an arrest but finds something more....My stories are character driven and the plot fills in that way. I am looking for a woman who wants to play an interesting character. An investigator. Can be a mature woman who is a veteran agent, a burn out looking for another chance or just not fit to do anything else. Never ming the rookie type on her first case (Silence of the Lambs) To often the role of a police officer is taken by a guy this would be a switch. A woman taking on the lead role in our action romance story. So please feel free to submitt ideas and pm me......I would love to develop this idea more.



Can a lady love a vigilanty? Can he love a law enforcer? Is there more to man then being a killer.... :rose:
 
No ladies interested.......care to ask questions. Maybe that will clear things up a bit. Additions, changes, thoughts to share......please do ladies.
 
On the job.

Cass stood on the ridge above the crime site, her light blue, nearly white eyes, scanning the area. Other than the station below her, there was little of particular significance to see. Just your typical government buildings constructed long ago and minimally maintained, one of them would no doubt her new living quarters. She scanned the hiking trails and the main road into the park itself.

She took out the pictures from her pack of the Ranger, Jensen, hanging by barbed wire in the station, noting the direction of his body and the dark patterns of blood on, around and beneath him. She again glanced up and tried to get some sense of where the person responsible for the Ranger's death had gone. No one had seen a vehicle, it was thought that the perp was in fact on foot.

The Beast, the locals called him but no one knew who he really was despite the copious rumors. A solitary wilderness survivalist that no one ever saw except the girl, who he had rescued and his victims who were all dead. She would be interviewing the girl soon enough but right now, she just wanted to scent the wind, stand up on this ridge and see what fell into place in her mind.

She knew the dead ranger had been selling animal skins and that made her very angry. When you are given a sacred trust and you violate it, well, in Cass's book you deserved what you got. Bad people often come to a bad end, just not quickly enough, or clean enough most of the time. No, that would be too easy, society had to take on their onus and clean up after the bastards.

She adjusted her utility belt, it was digging into her a bit too much being new and again she simply took a breath and scanned the area. No where Pennsylvania was not exactly her dream location. Not like the park she had just come from where the blue waters called to her each day. Las Tortugas was beautiful she wouldn't mind being stationed there forever. She shrugged and looked about. This is what you got when you managed to get a reputation for being able to solve the hard cases, they kept sending you out on the "unsolvables" no one else wanted. Moving you constantly from park to park the regular personal looking at you as a scary interloper. Until you failed enough times then they just shit canned you in some back water. Well she couldn't worry about that and hell she kinda like back water towns and the savageness of nature in those areas. Right now though, Ranger Crenshaw was known for having one of the best solve rates of anyone despite the dead and difficult cases they sent her on.

She brushed back a few strands of her reddish blond hair that had escaped her habitual workplace braid, and narrowed her eyes. This one held a great level of difficulty for her though. For one thing after reading the file on this guy, she felt he was doing some needed things here. Yeah she had empathy for the bad guy. Great. If more people would just step and say, "no" now and then, she feels the country would be a much healthier place.

She considered herself a public servant and a steward for the natural areas put in her charge. She pulled out the profile of the man she was hunting. Shaking her head and chuckling again at it. How in the world did someone come up with all this stuff about a guy they never even met. She didn't trust it. In spite of the fact that many such profiles have helped to catch quite a few criminals, she just didn't see it in this case. Maybe it was a character flaw of hers but she didn't believe that her quarry was insane, she suspected he was just seeking out his own form of justice and the way the courts had been going lately, it kinda made sense to her.

She sighed, put the pictures and profile away and started hiking down the ridge, her gut was something she listened too no matter how often it seemed to give her strange cues and something told her he had come from the western side of the forest. She hiked that way, her steps proving to anyone that might be observing that she was practiced in moving though the wilderness without making much noise.

She found a secondary trail and begin to follow it. The trail was rough and she enjoyed the challenge of following it, while keeping her eyes scanning the area. In a clearing she found signs of a rough camp but it was on closer inspection too old to be connected to the crime she was currently investigating.

Suddenly she turned to the west again and stopped all movement. She felt eyes on her the little hairs on her neck stood up. Looking around she saw nothing really but then out of the corner of her eye she thought she saw a little glimmer from a hill as if a sight or binocs were being used to observe her.

Instinctively she crouched down and found a tree to get behind knowing that if it were a sniper riffle and whoever had it wanted, she would already be down. She began a circuitous hike in that direction using cover.
 
He watched her silently from his perch. In his hand was one of the greatest rifles ever made. A 1903 Springfield used by the Marines in at least three wars. Even without the scope he added the thing was more then capable of taking this ones head off he thought as he looked down at the agent looking around on the ridge. She was different though not FBI they were through last summer. A few 100 degree days and a few games with them like slashing their tires and putting snakes in their boots soon had them gone. She was a park ranger though. He smirk to himself and laughed softly. Guess your not as important as you used to be...kid. Not a kid any more he thought. Some 10 years since highschool wait was it 12 years. It was easy to lose track though. She turned and seemed to look at him maybe she saw the scope which he quickly covered and slid away slowly. But not before getting a glance at her name on her jacket. "Ranger Crenshaw" she was probably round 30 and not a bad looker. Had to wonder what she looked like in a bikini.

He laughed as he slipped into the treeline. Normally he didn't think about such things but he was still a man. Nobody since his wife. He fellt a bit lonely though. Samantha was special and he had to wonder if she would aprove of all this behavior. He looked down at the ring on his finger. His hand was dirt and covered with camoflague paint but the gold still gold. He would think less of him letting himself be alone and letting his life be consumed by revenge and a private war. He couldn't bear the idea so he put it out of his head and got back on the clock. Without thinking he made it some 120 yards back to his pack and gear. Before he camped he had to put some distance between him and the ranger station. Waiting for him was his "children" Emily, Buddy, Mouse and, Jasmine. Little Janey was missing though. He gathered up his equipment not to worried though. She was always the free spirit and would often wondered around. The German sheppard gray wolf mix was playful and sweet. He was sure she would turn up at the cabin in a day or so.....tonight though he would camp out near the river and bath in the morning. The next day home to the cabin for a week or so and enjoy a good bed and some hot food. He walked off into the woods. He wasn't sure if he had to worry about Ranger Crenshaw yet.

As he walked through the woods he wondered if she had read his file yet. The summer his spent shooting at logging trucks when they over harvested the woods would be in there he figured. Not to mention using his hunting blade on that guy emptying his garbage truck off the bridge into the river at 3:00 am that was a blood mess. There was some two dozen other incidents that they suspected him of or knew he did. They still had no idea who he was realy just speculation really. Know seemed to have inside track on him or his way of thinking. Ranger Jensen had been fun really. The guy was supposed to be on partol, but instead asshole was drinking from his flask and watching satelite TV. God that guy was pathetic. Some good punches he was bleeding on the ground. He saw his hunting blade he was begging for his life and offering money. So disgusted he hung Jenson with the wire which wasn't the orginal plan. The bastard didn't deserve a quick death. He covered his tracks and head out after that, but nor before making it clear where Jenson's hide spot was which had furs, illegal cigaretts in it and some bags of cocaine. It would be hard for the feds to make this guy look good.

While the hunter walked on he had no idea of the fate of little Janey. She wasn't as experienced as the others and had wondered down the trail. Ranger Jenson had left a few traps. Weren't supposed to be there but it didn't matter to Janey. It locked around her leg with a quick and brutal snap. She nearly ripped off her leg jumping back. She began to howl but with no answer from her human friend or family she began to whimper and cry unable to get free bleeding. Only Ranger Crenshaw was in range. She had missed beast but some animal was in need of care....
 
Wending her way closer to the ridge she wanted to investigate, Cass had long since noticed her feeling of being watched was gone. Some might have brushed it off as imagination but not Cass. She had learned long ago to trust her instincts and they had served her well, providing clues others had missed, even saving her life at times. The heat was becoming oppressive and she thought about taking off part of her uniform. She resisted the idea. This being her first day, if she happened on someone, she wanted to in uniform. Cassandra hadn't meant to be trekking in the woods at all. She had only wanted to survey them, get an idea or feeling about them but her love of the woods and instincts had pulled her out there. Out here in the wilderness she felt more at peace than anywhere else. Certainly she was more at peace than in the myriad red taped channels she often had to travel or the politically motivated and byzantine government structure that was the Ranger Service.

Yes, she loved her job. She loved it, for where it let her be, close to nature, but there were times she wanted to tell everyone to go to hell and just let her be. That wasn't possible if she were going to keep her job of course. She had every intention of finding the spot where she thought someone had been watching her. Perhaps there would be some small clue there, a careless shred of clothing or a cigarette, anything, but if not, she would at least enjoy the hike. Putting off paperwork and more tense meetings with personnel was a bonus too. She smiled to herself. She was in essence being bad and justifying it. Lucky for her, few stationed here were of rank to question her. Of course that never stopped some, they would attempt to question her anyway. There were always some men who thought she, being a single woman. should fall into their beds and answer to them.

Just as Cass reached the foot of the ridge and was taking a moment to decide the best path of approach she heard a horrible howling begin. It sounded like a wolf or something was hurt. Her heart clinched, adrenaline began pumping and she started toward the sound, leaving off her current quest. She ran now, not heedlessly but with less caution than she had moved through the woods previously. Poor animal, she thought, listening to it's continued howls of distress. What the hell was going on? It sounded like it had been trapped in some way and was in pain. The source of the sound did not seem to be moving locations, running to ground as they often did when wounded, so it must be trapped. Perhaps it fell into a natural pit or...Cass left off speculating, she was the guardian of these animals and woods now, damn it, and she would get to the animal.

When she finally saw it, she knew, a fucking poacher had left a trap. She wanted to ring his or her neck. The poor thing was panicked of course. It's leg severely ripped. She looked for a strong stick. She began speaking soothingly to the animal as she approached carefully. The animal wasn't pure wolf. Cass could see that right away. Though panicked it didn't snap at her. Cass used her body weight to hold the animal down so that it couldn't snap at her while she worked if it got the mind to. She used the strong stick to pry the claw like trap off of the canine’s leg. Eventually, she got it off, the thing now snapped onto the stick. Still wary of the animal, she continued to immobilize it as best she could, wishing she had more hands. She began to clean and dress the wounded leg using the first aid kit she always carried with her. The dog/wolf seemed to be very docile and eventually Cass let it up, no longer worried about it attacking.

She fed the animal some beef jerky and tried to get it to walk. It didn't walk very well, making Cass worried about it's chances of survival. Taking out a map she noted her location on it, she would have to check for additional traps in this area and come back to pick this one up. She took off her pack and jacket and devised a carrying sling for the animal. It looked up at her with big sad eyes. She continued to reassure it with soft tones.

"It's okay little one. You just need to mend. Then you will be as good as new. I'll make sure of it." She cooed. She decided to take the canine with her and make sure it mended well before letting it loose if feasible. The docile nature of the thing made her think pet rather than feral. Still she saw nothing to indicate ownership on the animal.

Hiking in with the animal might have been difficult for some. It weighed a good bit, but Cassandra was used to hiking and carrying heavy packs, she had no problem with it. She stopped once to drink water and offer some to the sweet animal. It's trusting eyes, clouded with pain, whipped at her heart. It lapped the water right out of her cupped hand. "Oh, you are a sweet one aren't you?" She said. "Did someone just dump you out here? Or can you usually take care of yourself if you don't run into fucking poacher traps?" She wondered out loud. The big eyes just moved and the poor thing whined a bit. She soothed it, resettled it and continued hiking out.

Back near headquarters, things were in a bit of frenzy. Richard came up to her. "Where the hell have you been Ranger Crenshaw?" She looked at him and frowned, her eyes narrowing. "Excuse me? I don't believe I have to give anyone an account of my investigational activities except my direct supervisor." She said in a chilly tone. He looked at her, somewhat disheveled in her Ranger uniform, the ridiculously big hat on her small face, the animal in her arms. "Right, right, we were just worried you being new and a woman and all, you understand. What have you got there?" He said taking a step closer to her. "I don't understand at all. I am not new to the service, being a woman has nothing to do with it." She said her brows going up. Bastards, they were always like this and you had to shut them down, lay the ground rules, quick. "What I have here is an animal injured by a poacher trap. I need to find it a safe place to heal and I'd like to see my quarters now."

"Being a woman has a lot to do with many things." He said smirking. The look she shot him made him back up a step. "I'll be happy to show you your quarters, there is a dog run behind it that might be suitable for your new pet." Again he was being overly friendly, just a little too playful. She knew the type all too well.

"This is not my pet. This is a ward of ours, now under our direct care. It hasn't been determined yet if she will heal or if she is a pet or wild." She said with starch formality. "Lead the way."

He did and she noted that his body was nice and tight. If he wasn't such a horn dog and she wasn't working with him, he might make a nice diversion from time to time. Things being what they were, there was no chance of her letting that happen. She also saw the gleam of a wedding band on his hand. Somehow that never stopped those of his kind. It pissed her off how easily men forsook their vows. One reason she had never married, was she just didn't feel she could trust a man's fidelity, so why bother? Why not fuck them and move on? Just like they did? Love, trust, fidelity, well that gossamer stuff, was made up in the media as far as she could tell. Or maybe it was just the macho types in the service she knew. Once in a great while she saw a couple that truly seemed to love each other and cleave only unto each other, campers in their huge RV's or newlyweds hiking. She smiled at the thought then looked up.

Richard had stopped and was now very close to her. Crap. He had mistaken her smile; of that much she was certain. Her arms were full of the animal putting her at a disadvantage. He reached out and touched a loose strand of her naturally curly hair. She pulled her head back and stepped back glaring at him. "I would like to be of whatever help I can to you." He said, reaching forward and tucking the strand of hair behind her ear. She gritted her teeth and tried to calm down before she did something she could be written up for.

"Good, then open the damn door." She said briskly. Why was it no matter what you said or did some guys just had to keep pushing? He seemed a little taken back by her manner. He fit the key in the door and opened it. The smell of musty disuse billowed out to her. The concrete block walls had been painted a regulation piss green color. She could smell mildew. Home sweet home. She put the animal down on the worn rug and then stood up, holding her hand out for the key. "Thanks for showing me the way. Have a nice afternoon." She said by way of dismissal.

"Oh but are you sure, you want me to go?" He said, leaning into her personal space so close she could smell the tobacco and coffee on his breath.

She gave him a look that promised unpleasant things. "The keys. Now. Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out."

He dropped the keys into her hand, his eyes boring into her. "Just let me know if you want...anything." He said, as he moved chuckling, then finally, he left.

She rolled her eyes; he was going to be trouble. She looked around the rooms. Talking to the canine as she moved around. "Don't worry, I'll get you well, little one." Her things had already been brought here and that was good. She got some water and put it in a bowl near the animal. She looked through her stores of medicines and gave the poor thing a little something to help with the pain. Looking out back she saw the dog run apparently left over from a previous tenant. It needed a little work.

She went down to the main post to buy a few things that would make the spartan quarters more livable for her, and temporarily, the animal. The rest of her day was spent, tending the animal, fixing the dog run, cleaning her new quarters, and then unpacking.

It was early evening when she was able to relax again. She took a shower, put on a pair of drawstring p.j. bottoms and a tank top. She heated up a can of ravioli and got a glass of red wine. Watching the wolf/dog eat its meal with little enthusiasm she frowned. She got a warm wet wash cloth and cleaned the thing up the way her canine mother might have, hoping that would make it feel better. She checked the leg carefully unwrapping the dressing, now with better supplies she could help the animal more. She worked gently on the wounds.

She took the animal outside so it could relive itself and waited patiently. Once back inside she took out the case files, got another glass of wine and began to study through them. She took out a new pack of index cards and wrote down small details that jumped out of the reports and to her attention as important. She took out her day timer and made more notes on things she wanted to do to follow up. The newspaper morgue, the teenager prostitute, friends and family interviews of the victims as well as of the half dozen or so possible suspects, locals to interview and so on.

She went through the files of the possible suspects carefully. She would run them all through the national crime database, and look for information about them from other sources as well. She shuffled her index cards and dealt them out in random patterns seeing if something jumped out at her. She got a few ideas from that. Added property searches on the suspects to her list of things to check on. She put a hot water bottle and clock near the animal that had settled down for the night.

Then putting her dishes away, she cleaned up and headed to bed or rather cot. Placing her weapon within easy reach, she stripped out of her pajamas and crawled between the soft fragrant sheets she had brought with her. She moved onto her stomach. One leg bending at the knee and going up to waist level the other long and straight beneath her bed sheets. She pushed her breasts up and placed her hand between them, then buried her face in her pillows. She fell asleep thinking about the case. Her dreams were of a man. One who was both tough and loyal. Who was also tender and ruthless and who was waiting for her to catch him. She tossed a bit in her sleep feeling warmed by her dreams and restless.
 
Last edited:
A solid 36 hours had passed since he had last seen little Janey youngest of his woodland pets. She was nothing but a sweetheart so perhaps he worried more then he had good cause for but in the end she was not present at feeding time at the cabin. He ahd spent a night out in the woods in his sleeping bag with only his backpack to make a pillow and the warmth of nearby animals to keep him warm. Not that the mummy bag didn't keep him warm on its own though. The way he got it made him smile though.

A small would-be terrorist group had setup shop at an old farm. They hadn't done much, but they were bad news no matter what so he intervined on their revolution one night. They were ametuers at best when it came to weapons and material arts. He ripped through them just after dark. For being so paranoid he seemed to really have surpised them and put fear in their hearts. They gave it a good try but they emptied more rounds into the trees then coming remotely close to hitting him though. It had all been a blur to him though something that was happening more and more often lately. In the end though he was standing in their living room covered in blood with their Nazi blood flag burning in the fire. He killed the 13 men and 2 women that were members of "Sword of Freedom."

He took all there guns and explosives which were helpful, but all their camp gear as well as long last food. Let him stay the whole winter in the hills without having to go to town though. Now though it was market time where he made his way into town and get supplies. Not things he needed really he could live off the land forever, but luxury items he enjoyed. Everything from toys for the dogs to tooth paste and devils food cream filled snack cakes he had loved since he was a boy. Before that though he needed to prepare himself. He would take the long way to town and look for little Janey along the way.

He stripped bare and walked down to the pond only in sandles with a towel. Jasmine was there on a flat rock sunnying herself while Bud and Mouse tugged on a robe back and forth. Emily remained up out the house looking out at the horizon. She was always kind to Janey and her protector. She would have to come on this trip to town. He jumped into the cold water and took a refreshing swim in the cold pure water. Then he wasted himself and even managed to shave with a small mirror near the shore line. He smiled back at the reflection he wasn't really mad looking and withou the beard he was not that old at 35 years of age. At least that was what he thought his age was since he had stopped counting. Samantha once again he thought of her looking at his ring again. A tide of memories flooded back the dirty faced girl that was the wildrness fire fighter, the karate instructor who adored children, the beautiful dark haired girl he shared his bed with...he shuddered and headed back to the cabin.

He dressed his pack already prepared for that days hike. The feeling of clean long underwear, socks, jeans and flannel felt good against his skin. He slipped on his well worn and loved hiking boots mold to his feet. Next came the black hooded jacket concealling a pair of .45 calibar pistols and a bowie knife. He pulled the pack on his back and stopped at the door. He selected a decent hunting rifle, because after all he wasn't the only nasty thing in the woods. Even if he was the baddest.

Rampart like many towns had a name and a story that was less then common knowledge. Settled by a early christian settlers who worked hard it was considered to be one of the most secure communities in the area thanks to its stone and wood fort in the center of town. It was now the town hall and the battles with Indians, French and the British long forgotten except for a few placks around town. One institution that many swore was there in those times was still operating and no less popular. It had the distinction of being the only place where you could get feed for your animals, do your laundry, buy your groceries, your ammunition and get a good pizza. The sign out front saying General Store pretty much covered it though most of the locals would called it Hank's thanks to the neon sign over the bar. Monday night typically drew a godo crowd with its buy two pies get a third and pitcher of root beer free. The rangers often dropped at least one night of the week, and with nothing good on the tv conversation seemed to be the next best thing so most of the crew headed into town. Of coarse the new girl was invited along with her little friend.

The pizza was actually pretty good and root beer was cold. Music rocked on drowning out the washers, the restocking of the shelves and the people sending out things by Global Express. On that counter that night was Patty Flint. She started some 20 years ago when she needed some extra money when her kids were asleep. Kids were big now but she loved seeing everyone in town. She knew every body so it was not surpise that she wanted to say hello to the new girl. Janey was still to week to be left behind at the ranger station so Cass saw no harm in bring her in so she could sleep under the table while they ate.

Patty chatted with Cass for a few before leaning over and saying, " oh hi Janey. I see you hurt your leg sweety. I am sure you will be up and around soon enough." Cass looked at the woman in shock and then at the animal who let out a little yip at her name. Patty kept talking to her and it was clear the this dog was Janey.

Cass finally interupted and asked, ""You know this animal? Some one in town owns her? I found her in the woods. Figured someone loved her though."

"Oh know Janey belongs to that nice young man who lives in the woods. Why you do that I will never know. He comes to town from time to time. Keeps odd hours though. He always comes around 3:00am after the place has closed and we are cleaning up. He leaves a list of the supplies he wants and always pays in cash. Always extra for the trouble he says. Oh he comes to visit his wife. She's buried in the church cemetry. Poor young thing. Well the waitresses are piling up I will catch you later. I will bring a bowl of water for Janey hun."


He looked over at the small town. It was still busy with people driving around and out of town. Doing the bar and resturant thing for awhile. Then it would be quite. His time to go into town. He hiked most of the day with no sign of little Janey. He then headed to one of his satelitle cabins. Had the ususal stash of weapons, medical supplies, and food. The major addition was a blue pickup truck. The guy he got it from didn't need it any more. He gassed it up head towards town packing just outside. He walked into town found a good place to watch the goings on he relaxed and let his thoughts wonder. A hot pizza would be good in alittle while but first he would visit Sam.....

Around 2:30 he made his way through the cemetary. The moon was full giving more then enough light to see by though he knew the way by heart. The headstone was nice though you never wanted to think about an item like that being nice more like necessary. He layed down some wild flowers at her grave site. He kneeled down and swallowed hard, " I....I miss you so much sometimes. I know you wouldn't want this, but it is something I need to do...so other people will be safe. It would be easier I think to let go of that to cheat on you darling I mean...I know you would have wanted me to find another. Well maybe in time......." He silently blew a kiss and stood up time to get food the truck wasn't far away.
 
Cass had been busy for several days. She cared for the little canine, sometimes getting volunteers to come in and help her when she had to be away but taking the animal with her when she could. The first thing she had done was get some of the young fresh volunteers to go back to where the small animal had been hurt and look for traps. She worried about that one of the teenagers would bumble into a trap but she managed to keep their attention and no one came to harm. The found five more traps and one dead animal. It made her blood boil to think of a ranger doing that. Cassandra had wanted to do the search with more experienced people but it seemed that the established Ranger’s here didn’t really think that was a high priority item on their addenda as she did.

She had decided to work the case fresh. From what she was seeing, the work done on the case so far had been sloppy and except for a few salient details, was pretty useless. In actual fact, the case wasn’t really a new one, as it had been presented to her. No, it was an old case, had been ongoing for a couple of years at least. It was only the latest incident, the death of a ranger that got it bumped up to higher priority. On the one hand that made sense. Who cared about criminals dying, it happened everyday, like garbage, piling up but it still stinks and has to be pick up and “properly disposed of.” The idea of someone blithely killing a fellow ranger, not respecting that unspoken barrier of their authority the way it should be done, make her blood run cold.

On the other hand, it turned out that Ranger Jensen was a criminal himself. Those invested with authority who then abuse it and expect to get away cold with everything, made her furious. It happened all too often. People looked the other way a lot too. Alone with his body, she might have spit on it or worse. Good thing the case hadn’t been turned over to her a month earlier. That would have been real popular with the locals, she was sure.

Cassandra didn’t like the holes she could read in these reports so she decided to start all over again. She would start with Ranger Jensen’s death and work back. Killers, vigilantly or not, tended to spin out of control and make more mistakes the longer they kept at it. Some however only got better at it. Still the percentages were that working more recent to least would bear the best chance of tripping him up.

She interviewed everyone who worked with Ranger Jensen, taking copious notes, pissing off most of her potential co-workers. She really couldn’t worry about that, she had a case to solve. If they were going to get their panties in a bunch over standard investigation questions, she really didn’t give a damn. She might not be here long anyway, who knew, but she would catch this man. It wasn’t just the job either. She was intrigued by him she wanted to find him and see his eyes, listen to his view of why he had done the things he had. She wasn’t really sure what she would want to do with him when she cuffed him. She put that idea away, way back in the dim recesses of her mind.

She also interviewed the dead man’s family and friends. Oh wasn’t it funny when a person simply by virtue of being dead suddenly took on the stature of a fucking saint? She shook her head. How predictable people could be. How closed minded. What sweet lies they used to feel safe.

She tried to get a line also on his clients. Who knew what he was doing? Who knew enough to get mad and target him? Those were harder questions to get answers to because no one wanted to admit to any knowledge like that. She managed however to find out that Junior Bonner was well known for being in the trade of illegal pelts and heads that corporate sluggos could mount on their walls to try and pretend they were great hunters.

She requisitioned a jeep and went up to Junior’s large rambling house. It was a somewhat dangerous thing to do alone but really she didn’t trust anyone yet on the service here and they didn’t seem to trust her either. Junior was a rough cob, with a butt load of money. People suspected he kept it mostly in his mattress or some such. He didn’t like people much and trusted them less. Everyone smiled at him though cause they knew he not only had money, he had connections. You just didn’t want to piss him off unless you had a hankering to go missing and pull a Hoffa. He seemed to like her right off and she worked hard at charming him. Even though she wanted to shove his ugly nose into his pig like face. She absolutely hated men like Junior Bonner.

He allowed that he might theoretically have known about Ranger Jensen’s “amusing side line.” Still he maintained that he personally had nothing against the ranger and knew of no one who did. He said he’d ask around and if he did find something out, he’d call her up, have her out for a “little sip and sup.” Yes, the loathsome bastard was flirting with her. She had a mental list in her head. Junior Bonner was now at the top of her local shit list. What a creep.

She continued to follow the case incidents like that, following every detail, interview and record she could. It was a long, mostly boring thing. On television, people investigating were always being shot at and all manner of exciting things like car chases happened to them. In real life, if you got shot at, you were likely to be injured if not killed out right. The bullets didn’t mystically hit only inanimate object just cause it was the bad guys shooting.

No real life was full of record searches and long boring hours pouring over line after line of silted language and forms. It was trying to winnow out the truly key details and put jagged pieces together. Like an archeologist trying to figure out what animal the skeleton was that your unearthed bone shards made up. It was also guess work and instinct, at least for Cassandra.

She loved it, watching the little pieces line up and guiding them as they slowly formed a bigger whole. Still this one had her torn. The more she thought about it and the more she learned, she empathized with the perp and that was plain wrong in her job. She knew it but she didn’t know what to do about it. So she put it out of her mind and tried to simply focus on the task at hand.

She had a lot more work to do before she was finished with the incidents and she was inching to get to the files of the possible suspects too. Cassandra had a feeling that was her next best avenue of exploration in this “Beast” case.

One night she was invited to the local pizza place with Richard and the rest of the rangers she felt like she had to go but she didn’t want to leave the little canine behind and took her with them. The night air was cool and crisp. The evening itself went better than could possibly be expected with all the tension between Cass and the other Rangers. They even got in some good games of darts. Cass was a dead eye with anything involving a target and she wasn’t sure if she should reveal that or not. It sure wouldn’t win her any buddies. Sometimes it’s a good thing to underestimated so she played it pretty close showing some skill but no means everything she could do. She allowed others to win even though it went against her grain. She would beat the crap out of them if it mattered, this just didn’t. She had to remind herself to loosen her jaw often as her tension made her clench it. The problem was she didn’t know if more people were in on the business sideline that Ranger Jensen had been doing, she really couldn’t trust anyone yet.

Patty Flint recognized the animal, called her Janey. She also told Cass about the “nice young man” who owned the canine. The Patty had to go flouncing off. Cassandra made mental notes, lives alone, comes in for supplies, visits wife’s grave and strange hours. Cass shook her head. She always liked to give people the benefit of doubt but this sounded pretty odd. The lack of ID on his pet really pissed Cassandra off. Even a rabies tag would have been helpful but no, there wasn’t one.

Later she pressed Patty for the guy’s name and address. She also told Patty to be sure if he came in before Cass got to him, to tell him Cass had Janey and that the animal was injured, but mending as well as could be expected. She went back to her squat little quarters. She looked around the bare walls and sighed. She hadn’t had a chance to put up anything on the walls yet. She wasn’t sure why should bother. She pulled out the pictures of her family and put them around, her hand lingering on Jase’s handsome shot.

She unpacked a painting and hung it on the wall where she could enjoy looking at it. It was of an orange sky at sunset. The sky was reflected in the water and there was a black silhouette of an island in the painting. It was framed but not matted and there was no glass or other clear cover over it. She paused as she hung it to make sure it was straight. Her eyes going over the gold initials and date in bottom right hand corner before she took Janey outside to relieve herself.

She was glad to have the little animal companion while it was getting better. Strange that. She had been alone most of her adult life and deliberately too but now, having Janey with her made her ache for more companionship. Adult human companionship was what she craved she laughed to herself as she brushed her teeth what the hell was happening to her? Was she just hitting “that age” or what? She didn’t know but wasn’t sure she wanted to turn Janey back over to her “rightful” owner. Truth was most owners that lose a pet are neglectful at the very least. She didn’t really have room in her life for companions though, canine or human. She turned of her bedside light and stroked her gun, to make sure it was in place.

Her dreams were filled with amorphous images of a man with rough hands and sharp eyes, touching her. Cass found she was wet and heated when she awoke. She was not sure what to think about all this. She thought maybe she should call a shrink fast before she jumped the next man she saw. Naw, that really wasn’t a problem with the specimens she had seen since coming out here. She laughed again at her strange moods lately.

While taking her showers at night, the shadows of her dreams, would touch her brush her skin and rise away from her like the steam that rose from the hot water running out of the shower spigot. She tried to ignore all this, often reading another stack or papers before bed, then rubbing her freshly shaved legs together, under her covers, and they felt like silk so smooth, so good. She growled and wondered why in the hell she was feeling so lonely, so freaking heated since being assigned here. Was there something in the water maybe? She turned over and brushed her face against her silk clad pillow. “Damn this place!” Those were her last words before she tumbled into more disjointed dreams of that man and Cass.

The next morning she woke with the sun in her face, a glorious way to awaken. She smiled and stretched, arching her back. Her legs spreading out, testing and stretching each part of her, this was her normal way to begin the day. Then she strapped on her watch, drank some water and shuffled off to the bathroom scrubbing the sleep out of her eyes.

She took care of Janey next. Then ate a scrambled egg sandwich and some coffee with lots of cream and sugar. She went out to the jeep and fixed a place for Janey so she could keep an eye on the animal while she worked. Another day of research and interviews were in store. She couldn’t wait for her loo days. She was hoping Janey was well enough then to go with her camping by then if her owner didn’t come and demand her back first.

One of her stops that day was the local cemetery. She noticed the drying wildflowers on the head stone. She never really got it when people visited graves. Whatever it was that animated the bodies of our loved ones, it was gone by the time they were planted in the ground. She knew that, had seen enough dead bodies to be all too aware of it. She figured the body left behind should be cannibalized for parts, people needed there was a long waiting list and the rest if useless thrown out. Sure someone you loved used to live there but they sure as hell weren’t home anymore.

She reached out and touched the flowers. Her index finger traced the stems tenderly. Oh hell no, she told herself, I am not going to ever been the sentimental, romantic girly type. She stood up and walked away abruptly, for once she was mad at the wind which she told herself had caused her eyes to mist. Damn wind. She picked up Janey and walked back to the jeep the canine’s fur was picked up by the wind and blown into Cass’s face.

Later, studying the records of the woman’s death, she felt sick, great, a drunk driver, what a horrible senseless thing that was; her stomach burned just thinking about it. Just like what happened with her nephew Jase. Kid had everything going for him but driving home from college for a weekend of TLC, a drunk driver going the wrong way on the road, T boned him. Fucker. Why can’t the bastards just kill themselves? Oh no, they were usually unhurt. She closed her eyes and took deep breaths trying to push the image of Jase’s bloody pictures from her mind. She had insisted on seeing everything. Cass had wanted to be certain the case was followed up and perused vigorously. Her brother had been so proud and happy, that Jase was doing so well in college, soon to be played first string on the team, they were just waiting for him to mature a little and the senior line man to go that year but no, all of it, gone, just like that.

She got into more records for the dead woman. Samantha Thompson, what a nice name, she seemed pretty, smart, nice… Cass shut the folder she was looking at in disgust, what a fucking waste. She decided to follow up on the guy who was responsible next. She knew what happened to the lady that ran into Jase, extinguishing his young, promising life. She was now appealing her sentence, trying to get out because she was old and had arthritis that was “exacerbated” by her incarceration, aww, cry me a river thought Cass. She would probably be let out, looking like a kindly grandmother as she did. Probably be hitting the bottle again within few hours and careening down the roads again. For that matter there was plenty of hooch in the joint if you knew the right people and did favors for them. She really wanted to hit something. There sometimes seemed like, there was no justice in the world.

She looked up records on the killer of Samantha Thompson. She smiled when she found the trail ended with the drunk drivers death not that long after Samantha’s. She decided to dig deeper into the background of Joe Thompson, the widower who “was a nice young man” according to Patty Flint. A little itch went off in her mind just reinforcing what she thought might be her best suspect.

Oh yes, he had issues all right. The paper on him hinted at it. She chuckled to herself reading about his summer taking pot shots at logging truck. He was wired hot that was for sure.

She found another incident with a man driving a garbage truck. That one was a little more serious, she frowned. Oh yes, he looked good for her case. Cass looked up his old high school picture, her blue white eyes going wide as she recognized his eyes from her dreams. That really wasn’t possible, now was it? She looked closer, no that where she had seen his eyes before she was sure of it she had seen them in her dreams, and she shivered a little, not liking that at all. This made no sense to her. She had never met this guy. Never mind that. She told herself. She began making lists of people to interview about him. She also decided to step up her property search for him.

Before she left the library, which also conveniently served as the newspaper morgue and the city hall with adjacent records, she made a color copy of the picture. Then Cass blew it up. She drew in black marker on it, covering the part of the face that the teenage prostitute had seen the bandana on the “beast”. All that was left to see were the eyes and the forehead. She decided to right then and there step up her interview with the prostitute.

She frowned. So much to do and so far none of it took her out into the wilderness that she wanted to get back to. She wrinkled her brows and wondered why she wasn’t happier about making what she was certain had to be progress on this case. There was a reason but she didn’t like it. Didn’t want to face it. She looked at those eyes again. Then walked back to the open topped jeep and got in. She hugged Janey. That was it. She had to take a break. Ranger Crenshaw wanted to slow all this down but it was like a snowball rolling faster. She swallowed past the lump in her throat. Then buried her face in Janey’s fur.
 
After his regular visit with his wife he had made his way over to the store to get is supplies. As ususal Patty was there such a nice sweet old lady. She had waited for him as ususal half alittle while playing solitar. She awoke to find her late night visitor playing her cards. She smiled and gave him a kiss on the cheek. He didn't bring his laundry this time, but spent an hour talking anyway over a hot pizza and a few cold sodas. He took his time ferrying supplies to his old pickup before paying for everything ing cash. Patty had sweetly picked up the extras like ammunition, arrows, and bandages as well as the regular food stuffs. She was always a joy to talk to but the news that she had seen Janey in the company of the new Ranger perked his interest. It seemed she was taking good care of Janey and had not kept her in a cage.

Well what an interesting development perhaps he would have to meet this new ranger. She wasn't trouble but had to be dealt with for the moment. He kindness and lack of corruption would be rewarded, but she could be allowed to be close. Nobody could. He finished loading his truck and gave Patty a kiss on the cheer goodbye. She made him promise to come to Christmas dinner like she had for the last five years but she always forgave him hoping he would come down from the hills if only for a few days.

That night he drove into the night stopping near the ranger station. There was a site cleared so that hikers could park their vehicles then continue up the trail into the woulds and the hills beyond. It self was a great place to get a view of the town, the valley, and the ranger station. It wasn't uncommon for a car to be parked there as some hikers would camp not far down the trail and come back in the next day after circling the area. Tonight it would be the perfect location for him to stage his operation.

He covered his face and hands with black makeup to hide his skin.....he pulled off his top and slipped on a black hooded sweat shirt and made his way to the ranger station. First across the road then down the hill quitely as possible. The he climbed the fence around the ranger station. There was a light on in the command center which meant that someone was at the radio as ususal. Without a thought he took a running jump and caught the roof and pulled himself up with a loud thud. He rolled and looked down from the side. A man came out with a flash light in one hand and a pistol in the other and glanced around. If your patient and quite enough a sentry will make up any excuse to return to a safe warm guard house. After a few minutes the ranger found one.

The next move was to find the sky light and lower himself to the floor slowly. It was only a short way down by rope. Then with all the skills of commando he moved down the dark halway. He stopped just short of the living quarters. They always kept a list of duty signments and who had what room. They were organizational freaks. It was a strenght and a weekness. He soon found Ranger Cassandra Crenshaw room. He made his way down the halway silent. He froze as a man walked out of his room in only a bathrobe that was all to revealling. He hid in the shadows and the man stubbled to the bathroom and slumped down on a toliet slamming a stall door closed.

He moved on to Crenshaw's door marked with duct tape with her name written in black. She had to be new he thought. He tried the door it was locked. Sensible enough considering the rest of the station was filled with male personel. He shoved his knife in and soon popped the simple lock and entered with out a sound. He closed the door behind him and smiled finding little Janey sleeping in a basket by the bed. He gently picked her up and she awoke and soon realized it was him and nuzzled against him sweetly.

Crenshaw as was not such a heavy sleeper though. She awoke after he had finished loading little Janey in his backpack. She instintively went for her weapon that sat nearby. He countered quickly and a narrow knife missed her hand and landed in the trigger guard. He let go of the old WWII style knife leaving it to hold down the weapon and put his hand over her mouth.

"Don't make a move.....your alive because you care for my dog and for that you have my thanks. Now I am going to take her home with me. Don't try to follow me I like you but don't think that will stop me from killing you Cassandra." He looked deep in her eyes. She was a good person really at heart. He wouldn't kill her and made part of him showed it but the warning was clear.

"Your not like the others. Don't follow me finish out your time and you will live a long time. I bet your looking into me.....stop it. This is a private war the government has nothing to do with it. So go back to sleep like I was never here...." He pushed her back down on her bed and quickly made his way out.

Up and onto the roof and out then down again. He ran from the ranger station and back to the road. After he was sure nobody followed and there were no lights flicking down below he pulled out of his parking spot drove into the night. Janey cried alittle. It seemed she missed Cassandra. He petted he gently. "Oh she was nice to you baby? Well we will make sure she is taken care of honey."

The next day roses arrived for Ranger Crenshaw the note only said thanks on it.
 
Cassandra was asleep, little Janey was beside her in a basket on the floor. Her dreams were again of him. She hadn't even met him and before she even saw his picture, she had known him, dreamed of him. Now that she knew who he was, that he likely was the quarry she sought, her dreams were only stronger and more vivid. His body was rough and so strong against hers. Their muscles and skin were testing each other in an endless mélange of movements and sensation. His eyes, it was always his eyes, looking into her, taking measure of her, touching her somehow as no one really did in real life, only he did this and only in her dreams. She moved restlessly on her cot. Her face burrowed in the silk clad pillow that cradled her head. She felt something in the room with her suddenly, she woke up, and reached for the gun she kept on the bedside table. Her hand tightened on the cold metal. Lifting her face up, trying to focus. Where is the threat now? She wonders.

Suddenly, there is a knife, just missing her hand; a dark figure stands over her. Her heart feels like icy spikes are racing through it. The knife holds the gun fast to the wooden night table, lodging in the trigger guard. Her eyes begin to focus in the night darkness. He has Janey! She is furious. Her eyes are like sparks, anger made physical. How dare he even be here? It was Ranger Head Quarters in her private rooms in the middle of so many others and yet he was here.

She tensed up to make a move, and to make him regret doing this. Then he pinned her with those eyes, the ones in her dreams and she was completely discombobulated. He spoke too.

"Don't make a move.....your alive because you care for my dog and for that you have my thanks. Now I am going to take her home with me. Don't try to follow me I like you but don't think that will stop me from killing you Cassandra."

Her heart contracted. His voice flowed over her skin and soothed her even while the adrenaline surge spiked her into near action. She was held fast by those eyes as she puzzled out his words. They were saying something very different from his words. His eyes seared her somehow and seemed to be digging deeply into her. No, he wouldn't kill her; he was not going to do that she could read it in his eyes. Still something stayed her hand. How did he know her, know her name?

"Your not like the others." He continued, "Don't follow me finish out your time and you will live a long time. I bet your looking into me.....stop it. This is a private war the government has nothing to do with it. So go back to sleep like I was never here...." He pushed her back down on her bed and quickly made his way out.

She rose up again absolutely furious. How dare he? She got out of bed. Cass wanted to break something. She paced in the dark. Trying to decide what to do. She wasn't alerting the station. That was for certain. It would be too much of a loss of face to come off as the helpless damsel in distress. It would undermine everything she had to do here. She turned on the light by her cot. Her eyes went to Janey's basket. She knelt down and felt the fleeting warmth of her little friend. Her eyes stung and she looked up at the knife he had left stuck into the wood of her nightstand.

She studied it without touching it. She went and got a plastic baggie, and using that plastic baggie itself, she dislodged it from the table. She zipped the bag and rubbed at her eyes. She still couldn't believe that all this had happened. She began cleaning up all of Janey's things, feeling shaky and angry.

After that was done, she sat down and wrote out a full report on the events that night in as much detail as she could. She knew memories tended to fade with time. Cass didn’t think hers would of this but she wanted to be able to capture the details while they were still fresh. Unable to sleep, she took a shower, braided her hair, put on her civilian clothes and went outside for a night walk.

It happened when Cassandra had almost finished her shift the next day and had come into the HQ to do the darn paperwork. Something was wrong, she could feel it, something was different somehow and she couldn’t put her finger on it. She started on form 1452 section A as her mind tried to puzzle through the feeling.

Nothing came to her for a while and she finished that form. She began on another, hunt and pecking her way on the old typewriter, occasionally using white out. No one else was in at the moment and she had the room all to herself, the way she liked it. A stray tendril of reddish blonde hair began to bother her. It had slipped out of its braid and was starting to get in her face. Just what she didn’t need when trying to type up the bloody forms. She tucked it savagely behind her ear, trying to make it behave.

What was that? A strange smell, it hit her suddenly it was so out of place here. Looking around again she finally spotted the roses. A strange sensation went through her. It was silly to let her heart leap like that they couldn't be for her. She walked over to the flowers and saw her name on the little note envelope attached. "Wow!" She thought. Who would send me such beautiful roses? She breathed in the sweet essence of the roses. Then opened the note and read the thing. "Thanks." That was all it said but it made her skin feel hot.

Cass knew then whom it must be from. The man she was supposed to hunt down, the man that haunted her dreams, the one who took Janey from her very bedroom. She sometimes missed having a friend or companion. She wanted others to really talk with on some of her off nights. Deep down she wished for love and acceptance but didn’t really think it was possible. If it were going to happen in her life she felt it would have already.

She looked at the roses again, one finger caressing a single velvet petal. Cassandra checked the work schedule. Sure enough she had her Kelly day and some Loo time. She was pleased the very next three days are off. Finally she can drop this damned case for a while and do what she loves. She smiles to herself. Roses and off time in one day, things were getting better. Maybe while she is out she can relax and sort out all the chaos she has been feeling.

Just then Richard came in swaggering like he always did. He looked at her and the envelope in her hand.

"Well, lookie who’s got a love letter! I bet you got some honey on the side huh? That’s why you never give any of us a chance, right?"

"Great." Cassandra thought. "Just freaking great. I’ll be hearing about this, 'love letter' for a long time."

The truth was that most of the guys she worked with were married. She did nothing to encourage them. Law enforcement of any kind was a tough job. Most guys would try to make it with anything that walked and a few things that didn’t. Rangers, well they just took that to a whole, more intense level. You didn’t have to be good looking either just there with an opening they could try to use. She had found that these guys wouldn’t trust someone who would roll over for them. Not on the job. Not with their lives. Guys just didn’t respect you when you did that. Not most guys.

She had to be tough with this bunch. Show them she could do the job as well as they could. Truth was, she could do it better than many of them because she cared and tried, some of them didn’t really give a damn. She looked sternly at Richard.

"Hey, it’s no big." Cass said in an off hand, falsely casual way. She went back to her desk and continued to work on her forms, slipping the little note under them. Waiting. Sure enough, it didn’t take long. Richard got some coffee. Then came back over to her desk. Pushing his body close invading her personal space.*

"So you got a hottie out there sending you mash notes and roses, right? Doesn’t sound like a guy would do that you know? I mean not a real man like me. Maybe a girly man would do something like that. Me and the guys been wondering all along but now, we get it. You swing the other way right?"

He leaned even closer, reached out took an errant bit of her hair between his fingers and started to lean in even further, probably to kiss her. She smelled his coffee, cigarettes and sweat. It wasn’t her favorite mix. She whipped out her hand. Then pushed him back a little. He let go of her hair. He was muscled, had a nice hard body. She wasn’t sure she could take him but she readied herself to try, just in case things got really ugly.

The look Cassandra gave him was not friendly. She stood up so he wouldn’t be looming over her. Stepped back giving her a little more room to move between the desk and Richard.

"Richard, you don’t want to start anything with me. We make great patrol partners when we are on together and not on single sweeps. Let’s just leave it at that. I want to know you have my back. You know I have yours. Let’s not mess it up with sex or talk about any of that. We have enough lame ass personnel on the service as it is. We need to keep us good guys focused on the job. I don’t really care what people say about me. Just as long as they know I do the job. A good-looking guy like you, you can get it coming and going. I happen to know the girls at the cafeteria all think you are hot. You know what they say, Don’t shit where you eat."

She gives him a hardy pat on his shoulder, a little harder than it has to be. Then waits for his reaction, bending her knees a bit, getting ready in case he comes at her again to fight or touch her. He looks her up and down as he has so many times. She pretends she doesn’t notice as she has before. Finally he shifts his weight. Looks at her hard-set face.

"Yeah, you’re right. I can get it anywhere. I have to say I know you do get how this job should be done. You don’t hang out in a truck eating donuts and pretending to work like Harold and Otis. In fact you could use a few more donuts if you know what I mean girl. So I’ll leave you alone for now about this. Just remember I consider myself a public servant in more ways then one. So if you are batting for the wrong team, and need a little therapy, just let me know." He winks, and grins.*

Richard starts telling Cassandra about his last take down of poachers and other business. Cass nods and listens, while continuing on her forms. Eventually, she gets the little envelope in her pack without him noticing. After he runs down, she talks a little to give him the false impression things are fine between them, finishes her paperwork and gathers her stuff to leave. She has to walk past him to get the roses but she wants them. Anyway better in her quarters then here being talked about more by everyone Cass figures. She leaves him working on his paperwork. He always lingers over it, spends time calling his lovers. Never seems in a hurry to get home.

Once in her rooms, she waters the roses and adds an aspirin, she pulls them out of the water and cut's the stems diagonally. Then rearranges them. Cass makes herself a fast little sandwich and looks around. The roses are pretty but her rooms seem empty now somehow. Hell her life seems empty. She sighs and begins getting her equipment ready for the new few days. She is weary from the night evasion before, she misses Janey, and her emotions are all jumbled up.

She goes to bed early, not really expecting to sleep but just too fatigued to do anything else. Before she knows it, her eyes are closed and she thinks hard about the events since coming there. Her body jerks suddenly, as if electric shocked and she realizes dimly that she had been asleep before not thinking through events as she thought. She turns over on her stomach, pressing her face into the pillow. She wanted to truly rest but that so rarely happened for her now. She closed her eyes again and tried to make her mind blank. Cass took deep breaths and soon a gentler sleep crept over her. His eyes were there again in her dreams. A part of her mind asked why but nowhere was there an answer.

The next morning she awoke and reached down to touch Janey, only then remembering the animal was no longer there. A fresh bout of anger flooded her. Eyes narrowed she took her shower and got ready. She was off! She was free! If only there were someone or something to share it with. She laughed at herself. There never was. Not for long anyway. The lyrics of a song came to her then. "The time between meeting and finally leaving is sometimes called falling in love." She nodded. Yes, that was the story of her life. Nothing lasted.

She ate breakfast, tended the roses, knowing they would likely be wilted by the time she returned. She took the petals of three of the blooms and put them in a baggie. She hefted her pack and went to where her heart was, the wilderness.

She picked her way on a well-marked trail for a while, breathing in the nature scents, the sounds, the sun and air. Her cares were mostly forgotten in this freedom. She enjoyed seeing a Peregrine Falcon and even some little Eastern Blue Birds. She saw some increasingly rare Goldenseal and Yellow Lady Slipper Orchids. She stopped at some swamp milkweed and just stilled watching the butterflies and hummingbirds for over thirty minutes in quiet fascination.

She traipsed past some wrinkle leaf golden rod and some ladies tresses. Then she went into an area of ferns. Noting Maiden Hair, Ever Green Shield, Interrupted and Christmas ferns, she stopped by a Sassafras tree and picked up some of the bark that fell off of it, she chewed on the bark. Her stomach growled to tell her lunchtime, but she walked on.

Cass found a lovely place to stop on the bank of a river. She sat down and watched the sun dappling the water; the green of the trees also lit the water with glorious reflections. She ate and saw the fish darting in the water and one small turtle. She lay down and looked at the sky. It was so blue. The clear day needed to be painted or photographed but nothing could truly capture its essence. Lazy, white clouds drifted by, and no signs or sounds of "civilization" intruded. The water here was somewhat stagnant and she wanted to hike some more anyway. She sat up, packed her lunch things away, and then continued.

Later in the day, she found another body of water, it was mountain stream fed and continued flowing forever it seemed. She took out her map and located it on there, noting how far it went. This, she decided, would be her campsite for the next few days. She set up her pup tent. Strung her food between two trees ten feet up in the air. Settled her camp, gathered her wood, then took off her clothes. Dipping her toe in the water, she smiled. She placed a towel and her gun between the folds of it, near the bank, then waded in. The water was cold at first, but she warmed up from her swimming and found warm places that the sun had worked it's magic on. She flipped onto her back and floated for a while. The sky started to change, the colors rioting and bleeding into each other as the sun began to set.
 
He made it home from his clandestine opertation without problem He drove his truck to the satellite cabin. He stored what supplies he could there in the storage area under the floor then fed Janey. She was over joyed to have him back with her and she wagged her tall ever since he brought her back with him. Cassandra had been very kind to Janey from the beginning, and he only looked at his night time visit as reclaiming what was his rightfully. Doing it during regular business hours would have posed to many risks. He would be sure to have to answer to Cassandra for "neglecting" little Janey by not having a tag on her or a license. The flowers he phoned in and put on his account were a thank you for the care, and in a way sorry for the intrusion. He had left a message so the owner who was fine with the arrangement would see them sent out in the morning.

Thing was he ususally didn't feel bad about doing such things. One summer he showed how badly he out foxed an FBI agent by leading him in circles back to his own truck and eating his chocolate donuts. This Cassandra would hopefully take his warning and not bother him again any time soon. These were his last thoughts before he layed his head down on a makeshift pillow made up of a spare slipping back and a backpack. He pulled the warm wool blanket over himself and little Janey who curled up next to him already. He drifted off with lovely dreams of the red head beauty he had awoken.

The next day he struck out with his heavy pack which made the pace home rather slow. Extra food, ammunition, and dog toys weighted him down. Little Janey gingerly walked along side of him the whole way home. When he was in view of the house he soon heard the friendly cries of his pack. Emily, Buddy, Mouse, and Jasmine came rushing down the trail to meet the pair. Both were sniffed and tugged at until they got home. Lunch was served in the form of venison stew. All the dogs happy played with their new squeky toys while he cooked for them at the stove. It would be good to have a few days off before he went back to work. While in town he ran into one of the local drug dealers. The kid pissed himself when he put him against the wall hunting blade to his throat. The roll of cash he carried helped pay for dinner, but he did provide some good information he thought as he stirred the pot. Some Chinese gansters had hired some ex-Canadian Army soldier to guide them through the woods with a large shipment of drugs. Illegals would be carrying it on their backs so the operation would be nothing, but profit for these scum. He would have to do something about it.

After lunch he sat down for a bit and went over the maps and figured out what was there most likely route and where could he ambush their party. The drugs were easily destroyed, and he hoped he could point the Asian visitors at least to the Ranger station. He set aside a extra map, campus, and took out his book on Chinese. He practiced a few phrases at least until he thought he had got them right. Samantha was the one who had had the flare for language and spoke Japanese and Russian fluently. He didn't want to waste the whole day though so he took out the new telescopic site and attached it to one of his rifles. He took it outside. He practiced by the pond on his premeasured posts. He hit the cans off each of the targets each measured at 50, 100, 150, 200, 250 measurements. He would be ready. He played around with the site looking for more distant targets and found one, but wouldn't ever want hit.

It was Cassandra. She was breath taking. Seemed she had made camp with no idea that someone. Anyone was living across the pond. Most hikers stayed on that trail and kept going. Once in awhile he would see some swimming and leave them be as long as the stayed on there side. The dogs who many thought to be wolves would scare most others away. Cassandra being an able woodsmen came this far and was probably thinking she was totally alone.

She clearly thought she was alone anyway. Because after setting up a good campsite she disrobed. Nothing sexual other then it was a beautiful woman naked. He did his best to hide the flash of the scope and continued to watch her caughtiously move to the water. She was being careful this time though however. He weapon was near her towel. He watched as it grew darker. It was clear she had not followed him to this area. She stubbled into his part of the world. Simply amazing. If she had she would come better armed. If it was a trap he would have spotted snipers. No she was simply enjoying nature without taking anything away.

He went back into his cabin and prepared to meet the woman who came to "visit" in his part of the woods. He stripped down almost naked except for a pair of buck skin boots laced up the front and a loin cloth. He had always found this the best way to run freely in the woods. He did take along hunting knife and scabbard and tied it to his belt. He covered his body with lines of black and green body paint to camoflague his skin. Soon he was covered from head to toe and truly looked the part the monster. He tended the animals one last time and made sure Janey was setup in her own soft basket with water and extra food. She nuzzled him playfully and he whispered. "I am going to say hello to your friend."


After that he took off into the woods at a good steady run. Not very loud but one only had to be silent to here him if they were close. He was taking the long way around the stream fed pond so he would be out of site but he ran so that Cassandra would not be dressed and rearmed by the time he arrived. She would then and with good reason shoot him or attempt to anyway. Soon though he was within feet of her well made campsite. He moved out slowly. He crouched near the water watching her graceful form swim around the pond. Her lovely creamy white skin with a firey head of hair topping it off was something an artist could only attempt to capture. As she came to the bank she stood up giving him a full view of her naked body. Her natural red bush let him know that her hair was all natural and pure. She was beautiful.

So lost in though he didn't realize she spotted him when she walked to get her towel. Like a pro not caring about modesty she immediately went for her weapon. She raised it to aim perhaps going for the chest more common a target then the head unless of coarse she was a shooting champ. The look in her eyes though was disbelieve as she realized the weapon was empty. There was no round chambered and the magazine was missing. She was now unarmed confronting the beast.......

He stood up from his squating positon and looked at Cassandra knife still in its scabbard. He held in one hand her magazine. "I thought you weren't going to look for me any longer. Don't worry I don't want to hurt you if I did I could have killed you from across the pond or drown you or any number of things. But you have only been nice. Janey is fine by the way. You picked a good spot here by the pond. The flowers on the trail are very pretty my wife loves.......I mean loved them very much. She wanted us to build a house over here she never liked the cabin. I haven't talked to anyone in awhile here so....ah well would it be alright if we did?"

Clearly he wasn't think straight and he knew it. What woman would think it remotely normal to chat with some beast from the woods that came out of nowhere to confront her naked. As a show of good faith he tossed the loaded magazine to her to show he meant no harm and to equalize things abit.

"You are very pretty, but if you want to put on your towel I do understand."
 
Cassie was enjoying her swim. The water felt so good. Being out in nature was just what she had needed. For the first time since coming to this area, she began to relax.

She watched the deepening hues of scarlet, saffron, tangerine and amethyst blend and war for domination in the sky. She reluctantly finished her swim before all light fled the sky to leave her in an inky wet darkness. Reaching the bank she climbed out of the lake reached for her towel and for a split second froze like a startled animal. Someone was there. Painted camo colors resolved and sharpened into a human form. She grabbed her gun instinctively. Holding it in a two handed stance, naked, she burned with anger and adrenaline. Quickly her brain scrolled down a list of possibilities and as she slipped the safety off, she noticed the clip was gone. Her eyes narrowed, yes, it was the man that had taken Janey from her. The one she was supposed to catch. The one who had killed Ranger Jensen and others. He had somehow followed her out here and made her weapon useless except for clubbing perhaps. Here she stood, naked and dripping, water running down and off her body but she wasn’t truly defenseless, no, she was never that. He might not know it but she could handle herself even unarmed. Her eyes flicked to the gun for a second then back to the man. She checked but no round was chambered either, great.

She bent her knees slightly and gathered herself at the ready, while watching him stand up. One of them might not make it out of here. She was damned sure going to make sure she did. She noticed a knife still strapped to him, not drawn, which puzzled her. He opened his hand showing her the magazine and began to speak. His voice made her want to shiver but she controlled herself enough to not do so, still, goose bumps appeared on her skin and her nipples popped up, tightening.

"I thought you weren't going to look for me any longer. Don't worry I don't want to hurt you if I did I could have killed you from across the pond or drown you or any number of things. But you have only been nice. Janey is fine by the way. You picked a good spot here by the pond. The flowers on the trail are very pretty my wife loves.......I mean loved them very much. She wanted us to build a house over here she never liked the cabin. I haven't talked to anyone in awhile here so....ah well would it be alright if we did?" He said.

“It’s my job to look for you”. She said simply. “I never said I wouldn’t. I wasn’t tonight however. I was just…” She stopped and looked at him. “Janey is fine? Good she’d better be.” She said firmly her voice betraying more interest than a purely professional ranger might have for an animal.

Her heart contracted when he spoke of his wife as if she was still alive. Cass wasn’t sure why that would cause a small war of emotions to erupt in her. “You live here? You have a cabin around here? That didn’t come up on the property searches I did.” She said trying to keep her voice steady and professional sounding.

“You sneak up on me, telling me that you could have killed me several different ways, disarm me and catch me at a disadvantage. Now you simply want to talk?” She looks at him clearly nonplussed her eyes though hold warmth that is at odds with her words.

He tossed the magazine and again, not worried about her naked state, she moved with natural grace, caught it and put in her gun. She did not however point the gun at him but down at the ground.

"You are very pretty, but if you want to put on your towel I do understand." He tells her.

“This is crazy you know, you, me, all of it.” She whispers, starting at the sound of her words, she hadn’t meant to actually say that only think it. Her lips close and she looks up at him, breathing in deeply, she colors, a slow flush traveling her skin in a, for her, rare, display of feminine self-awareness.

“I doubt a towel would stay on long, I’d prefer clothes.” She says. “What would you like to talk about Mr. Thompson?” Hanging there in the air between them is an almost palatable energy, which speaks of interest, loneliness and longing. Standing there naked she still seems ready for anything and coiled like a spring about to go off. The sky deepens into a cobalt blue, the sun is now blotted out behind a mountain, soon the moon and stars will be the only illumination to this strange tableau of the naked lady and camo beast man.
 
This used to be easier he thought to himself as he looked over the nuder ranger. Thing was no woman would be excepting to a man appearing from out of the woods, and surprising her naked taking away any feelings of security. He paused from speaking and though for a moment about his next move. He wanted to meet her and talk. How to make that happen wasn't something he had worked out. He wanted to explain his situation and get to know each other. Wasn't something that was easily done. Things had to go slow and put her at ease.

He looked her over with the pond and the slowly disappearing sun behind her back. Her beauty was natural and pure like the forest. Didn't need enhancements like breast implants and makeup she was just pretty. Samantha had an athletic body when he had met her and she always kept it up with her activities and never wore makeup perhaps except for their wedding. Now he looked on a different woman for what seemed like the first time in ages. He had had sex since Samantha's death a few times with close friends or lovers trying to help him get over his loss but though it brought some physical pleasure it was little else and made him feel empty. The teen whore from not long ago was more then willing to "reward" him or just to secure his release. She was pretty though she was one with to much make up and breasts that were to large. He smiled to himself and at the time he thought for half a second and gave her a themus of coffee a jacket and sent her on her way. Ranger Cassie though could feel totally justified in killing him where he stood. Nobody would ask any questions about a death of a suspected killer after an attempted rape. No he had to make her feel safe and trust him. This was not an easy feat considering what she did know about him was all death and violence.

"Okay Ranger Cassie this isn't the best way to begin a.......ah a friendship or at least a working relationship. I came to talk to you person to person. A fellow nature lover. I haven't dealt with people much in the last few years so please forgive my at the very least my very impolite way of visiting you this evening. Look let me take another step to ensure trust between us okay? My cabin homebase is across the pond. All the weapons I have used the last few years are there which I am sure is enough evidence to put me away if your so inclined. Or you could simply go back get a long rifle with a scope come back at night, and blow me away when I feed the dogs later. The reason I tell you this is I hope we can talk. Sit down over food. You can see how Jenny is doing. Might even part with her since you took such good care of her.....she likes beef jerky." He smiled at her and walked back towards the tree line then turned back one last time.

"Your a good woman I can tell so whatever you chose it will be right. Okay? So if you want to hide behind that badge or do whatever no hard feelings and I won't fight with you....I would however appreciate the chance to talk and there is no trouble to set another plate. Just walk the shore line around either way and you will hit a rotted out dock. Up the trail from there about 25 paces is my cabin. Don't let the dogs bother you they will just let me know your nearby. We can eat then and talk. Not tricks I promise. I just want to be left alone." He trailed off abit lost in though muttering to himself it could barely be heard....."maybe it is time to stop and rest....maybe see Sam." He walked off and soon the sound of his boots could only be heard.



Once back in his cabin he set about making a stew Samantha always thought was pretty good. She wasn't a picky eater but knew what she liked and would let him know quickly what her favorites were when it came to meals and most other things. The dogs playfully ran about the cabin until he put them in the fenced in yard so he could set the small table. The plates and utensils were all a blue and white that most would only use for camping but they held up well year after year so he kept using them for meals. He put a pair of candles in silver holders in the middle of the table and lit them giving the low light room a soft warming glow to it. He glanced at the one pistol he looked at any time he had weakness. It was loaded with only one round. Every day since Samantha's death he would find a reason not to do it. Sometimes the reasons were good ones like he wouldn't see his bride in the after life or worse that she would think less of him. Other days when the pain never seemed to go away he would make silly excuses like someone would have to feed the dogs. Today though as he picked it up and put in the wooden chest by the door he said to himself, you have a dinner guest. He looked at his wedding ring one last time. Sam wouldn't want you to be alone, and you know it. If she could talk to you she would had you do this a long time ago.

So he went outside picking up the leather tags he had made for the dogs awhile back with their names on them and made sure all the dogs were tagged especially Jenny who hopped on his lap when he sat down on the crude wooden bench against the cabin. His double shotgun was with arms length, but not in hand. Good encase something came raging out of the woods, but not if some one got the jump on him. He hoped that would be a good enough message. It had been at least two hours since he had left her and she hadn't shot him which was already a good sign. If she came alone that would be the next positive sign. How it went from there was anybodies guess. He did let out a laugh. This was nothing like how any off these trashy romance novels ever started. Hell he would be lucky if she didn't empty a clip into him. Well stranger things had happen.
 
Cassie listened to the beast man carefully. Still his words and actions puzzled her.

"Your a good woman I can tell so whatever you chose it will be right. Okay? So if you want to hide behind that badge or do whatever no hard feelings and I won't fight with you....I would however appreciate the chance to talk..."

She wondered what made him think she was a good woman or that he knew her at all. She liked that he thought so. Yes, she liked that a lot. Strange that she did when he was a wanted criminal she was hunting. One too that she didn't know very well at all but felt a bizarre and somehow powerful connection to.

Cass somehow didn't like seeing him go off, only now was she able to tell he was wearing nothing other than paint, boots and a loincloth. She waited until she was sure he was gone, then went to get dressed. She kept her weapon close and at the ready. Once clothed again, she pulled out some plastic tied cuffs and put them in her pocket. She stopped to think. Pulling out the baggie with her rose petals in it, she sat on her sleeping bag in her tent and took in the fragrant petal's smell.

She knew without a doubt what her duty was. No question she should pull him in and finish the case. Within a month she could be anywhere else following another "impossible" case. That was the correct protocol and she knew it well.

This was the first day of three off. She had looked forward to them. Maybe she tells herself, maybe I can just pretend he isn't my quarry for a little while and talk with him like any other person. It could even help strengthen the case against him. Cassandra doesn't want to admit, even to herself that she simply craves companionship as he clearly does also. No, she won't allow for the fact that she wants to just spend time with the man, who literally has been in her dreams lately.

It's hard to take care with your appearance when you are out camping in the wilderness. Cass isn't that sort of girl normally anyway. She feels her hair, trying to twisting it into what she hopes is a smooth braid. She wants it out of the way just in case she decides to work tonight.

Remembering that Richard had argued she should have to take a radio. She is glad she won that debate. It means she doesn't have to worry over that option. There are still too many damn options to worry about though.

She takes a flashlight but seldom turns it on as she walks to his place. Her mind taking in the distances from her camp site to his cabin. With a scope how much could he see she wonders. She knows he must have one and probably some binoculars too. The idea of going up to his cabin where his weapons and other evidence are is bothersome. If she doesn't handle it just right she could be standing in court one day trying to explain how the evidence is not fruit of a poisonous tree.

She walks up to his cabin with great caution just in case this is some sort of trap. Circling the place before approaching it directly. Her lovely eyes narrow in the light of the moon but she sees nothing that seems wrong. So she goes to the front and waits for him to acknowledge her.

When he does, she acts normal or rather as normal as she can under the circumstances.

"You said I could hide behind my badge. That you wouldn't fight me. You said there would be no hard feelings and whatever I want to do would be right. You just want to talk right? Then show me. Turn around and face the wall then. Prove this to me now."
 
Last edited:
"You said I could hide behind my badge. That you wouldn't fight me. You said there would be no hard feelings and whatever I want to do would be right. You just want to talk right? Then show me. Turn around and face the wall then. Prove this to me now."

He turned and placed his hands on the wall of the cabin. He would follow her commands and not put up a fight. He knew this was how to make contact with her and he had to go through it like this even though part of it violated his instincts. Could have taken her out any time with a long rifle and scope. Hell could have taken her out with a head shot and the right angle that would make her fall into the pond. She easily was in range of his double barrel shotgun. A messy but very effective way of getting rid of a intruder on his property. Even the knife in his boot was an option. The dogs came yelping as he was thinking over what to do next. Had to make her shudder and wonder what to do...One dog was scarry but could be dealt with, but several were a holy terror which even a gun couldn't negate.

A quick whistle though halted the animals. "Relax kids Cass is just coming to visit and maybe dinner." The unfriendly growls continued but they remained in place. Except for Janey who moved closer remembering the scent of her protector. She nuzzled Cass and naively tried to get her to play. Her leg did seem stronger and she yelped alittle bit but in a friendly way which seemed to put the other animals at ease.

Without looking back the hunter just smiled to himself and laughed, "they all have their collars on now I hope you take care of them though. I spoil them give them real fresh meat and mountain water. Jasmine always sleeps on my bed and Mouse loves to swim in the morning. I made an invitation to you but I hoped it wouldn't turn out this way, but I guess what can I expect. I don't really know you Ranger Crenshaw what could I expect."

He answer was more blunt then words as she followed standard procedure pushing him against the wall keeping her gun away from him and cuffing him quickly. Any pain didn't seem intentional rather just to achieve control of him and the situation. She searched him quickly and found the long knife and tossed it aside. Also she found a fake IDs with his picture on a New York drivers license and firearms ID card for purchase. They were both wrapped in a roll of cash and a reseat for gas and a few food items including milk and snack cakes. She moved and check the shotgun and after being satisfied that it was clean and loaded she gestured for him to turn around pointing the weapon at him the whole time. With muscle and broad shoulders it was a tight fit, but he turned around and sat down on the edge of the bench.

Not to be detered by her actions to take control the hunter just smiled. "Look Ranger Crenshaw I...I didn't do anything wrong. Think about it...I mean these were all bad people who died. You really don't even have that good of a case. Just let me be okay? I will leave the area, but well Samantha wouldn't like me to be well like this....maybe it is time for this to end but I won't let you put me in a cage." For a man who tried hard not to show emotion or climbed in a bottle anytime he felt lonliness he began to break down. Moving just short of weeping he sighed and looked at her....

"Take these off.....I'll run and you shoot me. Just don't take me tonight. One last night in the woods. No trouble just without these." With a swift series of actions going what seemed like all at once he jumped up bending his knees in the air and swiftly enough he brough his cuffed hands under him. His arms sung infront of him legs hitting the ground hands infront of him though still cuffed.

"MMMMM......now that feels much better."
 
She approached him cautiously from behind. Cass was pleased when he reassured the dogs. She quickly and efficiently cuffed his hands behind his back.

Cassie leaned on him, her breasts pushing against his back, pining him against the wall then. Sadly she ignored the sweet dog that wanted to play. Instead she kicked his legs apart and began to pat him down. Her hands were on his body and at first all she could think of was wanting to stroke his body, to take him and make him hers. She broke out of that thought, finished the search and began to recite to him his rights.

"You have the right to remain silent and refuse to answer questions. Do you understand?"

"Anything you do say may be used against you in a court of law. Do you understand?"

Her body was still hard up against him and she wanted so much more. This had never happened to her in a take down before. It wasn't appropriate. Cass was shocked at herself but still she wanted to cover all the bases in case she saw or heard something tonight, that was later needed to use against him. She shivered at that thought.

What she really wanted, could wait for a more appropriate moment. She wondered just why she was getting so heated now. Was it him? Was it her? Was it the cuff? She waited for his audible acknowledgements before continuing she had to get at least a "yes," to each one. Cassandra kept a chuckle deep inside, cleared her throat and continued.

"You have the right to consult an attorney before speaking to the police and to have an attorney present during questioning now or in the future. Do you understand?"

Cass took a breath waiting for his acknowledgement each time. Her skin felt electrified up against his body like that. She tried to ignore it.

"If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed for you before any questioning if you wish. Do you understand?

"If you decide to answer questions now without an attorney present you will still have the right to stop answering at any time until you talk to an attorney. Do you understand?

Knowing and understanding your rights as I have explained them to you, are you willing to answer my questions without an attorney present? "

She finished but did not stop leaning against him.

"Now will you invite me in your house of your own free will?" He agreed to do so.

"Good." She said only then coming off of him and letting him go. As she did she check his shotgun then leveled it at him saying. "I had to do that. I hope you understand. You have had me at a disadvantage twice now so we are not yet even if you consider such things. Now we can talk. If you like we can pretend this didn't happen at all and just talk as if we were friends or, more..." Her words and thoughts were interrupted by his words and sudden acrobatic moves.


"Take these off.....I'll run and you shoot me. Just don't take me tonight. One last night in the woods. No trouble just without these." Her quarry said.

With a swift series of actions going what seemed like all at once he jumped up bending his knees in the air and swiftly enough he brought his cuffed hands under him. His arms sung in front of him legs hitting the ground hands in front of him though still cuffed.

Cass watched and smiled. She should have shot him just then maybe. Cassie realized then that she was holding a gun that for once, she had no intention of using except if needed for self defense. She didn't think that would be needed. Thus she was violated one of the most important rules of having a gun in hand. Don't do if you won't use it. She put it down and leaned it against the wall.

"Neat trick. No I have no intention of taking you anywhere tonight, I still have two more days off. I don't want to shoot you or have you run off, so I guess I'll have to keep the cuffs on. I like you restrained anyway. It looks good on you." She chuckled.

Now if I recall, you invited me to dinner and I expect you to always do as you say." She smiled at him with a little twinkle in her eyes. "I know I will. Tell you what I'll even feed you since you're all cuffed and all. Oh but you had to go and get all fancy with those moves so you can do it yourself I guess. Hmm. Pity."

With that she opened the door to his cabin and nodded with her head that they should go inside.

"Look Ranger Crenshaw I...I didn't do anything wrong. Think about it...I mean these were all bad people who died. You really don't even have that good of a case. Just let me be okay? I will leave the area, but well Samantha wouldn't like me to be well like this....maybe it is time for this to end but I won't let you put me in a cage." He said

She saw the emotion in his eyes and padded his back as they headed in the cabin. She decided to try to be nice for a while.

"So your wife, you keep talking about what she would want. She seems like she was a smart, talented and lovely lady. I think from what I've read, she would want you to stop too. I know I do. "

Her face got a little hard then, changing from gentle and soft to granite.

"I'll tell you right now I can make a hell of a case against you. I can make it stick. What you have done is legally wrong and we both know it. Morally? It's ambiguous I'll give you that. I think I even understand why and all. Just don't kid yourself that it's not wrong legally or I can't build a case."

She looked up at him sniffing. "Ooh, something smells good." She said and smiled.

"The fact is, I would sometimes like to be free to do some of those same sort of things. I'm not." She said helping him sit down at the table before lowering herself into a chair.

"The fact is, I feel there is something about you that I'm drawn to, even before that night...never mind. The point is I don't want to do my duty. I don't want you to leave the area. I don't want to put you in a cage. I don't want to shot you or for you to run. I also don't want you to kill me in my sleep tonight. So, I suggest a truce during my off days and for tonight."

She smiled at him and broke off a piece of his bread offering him half.

"Hopefully I will find that I am right about you. If so I will trust you more and vice versa. I have a perfect solve rate but this case, and you, may be, my Achilles heal."

She ladled out the stew to them both.

"Okay, so, can we talk about something else tonight. Not the job, not my hunt for you, the beast man. Let's just pretend we are two friends sharing a meal. How does that sound?"
 
She had the upper hand and he let her he thought as she led him into the cabin. She had also disarmed him and gottent he false Id's which was jail time right there to begin with never mind what she saw next. The cabin was basically one very large room when he first found it though he has made considerable improvements like the plumping and kitchen. The main room had the large wooden kitchen table with a chair at each end and three on either side. The fireplace was against the left wall on entering with an old musket and powder horn. On the oppsite all near some boots by the door was a huge wall cuburt. Once Cassandra was able to look away and open one of the large doors she was shocked. Inside an arsenal which would put any gunshow vender to shame. It was filled with a large variety of rifles, pistols, and knives. Ammunition was also in a number of bottoms drawers. Sites were mounted and bells went off in Cass's head. Many of the scenes reported shell casings found, and that the suspects had returned fire but no weapons found. Here was her answer to where they went.

The wall dividing the cabin in half were simple ply wood. The bed in the room on the left was large with wool blankets on it and rolled up sleeping bags at the head. Alot of pillows lined the other end. The whole bed in fact looked to be made out of wood from the forest. Crude but looked inviting in a cold lonely night. The door beyond was most likely to the bathroom. There was a pair of dressers that looked much the same as the bed. The kitchen had some counter space, a butcher block, and a large iron stove. The pot where the smell came from was on top of it piping hot. Nearby against the dividing wall had large bowls for all of the dogs. Had all the feelings of home if missing a woman's touch. She had to notice three picture frames on the mantle below the musket. One showed the woman Samantha she reconized from the file with a group of young girls all dressed in white Gi's while she was in a black one. On a plack in the picture it read Class 1 of PA junior martial arts. The next picture was of the couple in happier days. He in a bikini top and jeans and boots flexing with him posing next to her with an ax. Actually smiling which the agent had never seen him do as of yet anyway. The third picture showed their wedding picture with the glass cracked in front. Looked to be like a nice wedding both so happy.

He half listened to Cassandra as she walks about the cabin reading his rights. He always knew he might here them but now he was disapointed that she did not want talk, but handle this as business. That mood changed in time though. it angered him for her to talk about Samantha. She didn't know Sam the way he did. She never saw the body of the one she loved on a cold slap. He sat as she talked about the situation. Quietly with his hands under the table. He had been prepared for this situation though he hoped it wouldn't happen this way. He slide a lock pick from under his sleave. Even the best pat down would miss it and most people thought once they found one weapon they were done. Not that he minded Cassandra's soft hands on his body, but he was glad she had missed the pick. So while she spoke and walked around he picked the lock. First getting the left then the right careful not to let them fall leaning foward to hide what he was doing always.

"The fact is, I feel there is something about you that I'm drawn to, even before that night...never mind. The point is I don't want to do my duty. I don't want you to leave the area. I don't want to put you in a cage. I don't want to shot you or for you to run. I also don't want you to kill me in my sleep tonight. So, I suggest a truce during my off days and for tonight."

"You can have your truce for as long as you want, but you keep your word to okay. I want to talk so let's talk." He smirked and lifted his hands up on the table and put the cuffs down and smiled eating the bread she offered to him.

"I am glad we are friends now I wouldn't want it that we were out here killing each other. I like you Ranger. What was it you were going to say but stopped?? Anyway you can tell me later. But I won't try anything if you won't okay?"

"Okay, so, can we talk about something else tonight. Not the job, not my hunt for you, the beast man. Let's just pretend we are two friends sharing a meal. How does that sound?"

"Agreed I am sure you have been to alot of other parks besides this one. I am sure they are very beautiful. What do you think about PA here. You took care of Janey pretty well and I am thankful that you did and not just dump her at the vet's though I here she is a good doctor. You have your own house some place with husband? Your own animals? I only ask because you read my files and know all about me......I know your name and that your very beautiful."
 
"I always keep my word. Always." She looked at his now unlocked cuffs and nodded as if she wasn't too surprised.

"Quite the Houdini now aren't you?" She laughed. "You better not run now. No I told you I'm not going to try anything but you still owe me some time being vulnerable. We aren't even in that department yet, you know." Still she filed this information away in case it was needed later.

She returned to the table and sat opposite him. "I was going to say, that before that night." She said staring into those eyes of his. "The one you so rudely stole into my quarters and took Janey away from me, I was already having dreams about you and your eyes, before I had ever seen you not even a picture. What do you think of that?"

She lowers her eyes and looks at the stew, spooning some up into her mouth sighing at the warmth and taste.

"You really think I'm beautiful?" She smiled softly looking up hanging suspended for a moment in his eyes.

"No I don't have a husband, never have. Some guys thing a woman like me must be a bull dyke which is fine, keeps them away, they aren't my kind of guy anyway." She said breaking free of his eyes and eating some more stew.

"I don't have a house, I move around too much, getting kind of tired of that too. I don't own any animals. I believe no one really owns animals. Sometimes they are your companions. Sometimes you are their steward but you don't own them." She said then took a moment to drink the water she had in front of her.

"There isn't much to know about me, I'm pretty boring really. Yes I've been a lot of beautiful places and they each have their own charms including this one." She eats a few more bites.

"I like Janey. Though I would have done the same, or at least the very best I could for any animal. One of the things I most like about the job is the wilds and animals." She continues.

"So what would you like to see happen between us tonight and the next to days? We could possibly get to know each other very well, before I have to get back to HQ." She says with a lopsided grin her heart beating a mile a minute, her blue-white eyes looking mischevious.
 
"Quite the Houdini now aren't you?" She laughed.

He smiled at her and looked at her in a way he hadn't looked at a woman since Samantha died. She was kinda of like this woman in some ways, but different enough that she was not a replacement for a woman that never could be replaced he thought looking down at his ring still on his finger even after her passing.

"I said I wasn't going to go any place on you and I didn't mean to violate you space that night. Though Janey would have been in some common area or cage. You treatied her better then that but Janey has been with since she was a pup. I came to get her because she missed me. Though she seems to like you and I am greatful that she is okay thanks to you Ranger."



Now with hands free he eagerly bag to eat his stew as she talked. Not used to company he realized he had to slow down the pace of his ravishing. He thought to himself normal people don't eat like wolves. He slowed his pace sat up straight and wiped his face with a natkin. Nodding and listening.

"My eyes in your thoughts any other times anywhere else this would be very flattering, but I take it that all you guys have shots of me with only my eyes exposed. Your not a bull dyke to me though I would be disapointed to find out you were a lesbian. I wouldn't think that because of how you look though Cassandra. I thought I had a lonely life. At least I have a place to call home and my animals and the cause........"

The hunter drifted off and he reached out for her empty hand and put his on it. To feel his touch in that moment you never thought this was the man cabable of such brutal violence. Man who had made a life out of killing to avenge a loved wife who he could never bring back while protecting a forest that never could be guarded by one soul no matter how resolute.

"I....I want to get to know you in these few days. I try not to be with people much and I would like to change that and let you be the first. I can't hurt you and I want you to know that....you will always have the advantage." His hand moved up and caresses her cheek and then moved down running his fingers through her hair.

"Good you haven't run yet. I haven't read anything that wasn't a how to or survival book in the large few years. I don't watch tv and don't read news papers much. The stew is what I hunt. The fancy thing I have to drink is beer, and desert is either chocolate or yellow snack cakes." He cracked a smile. "Still want to stay and talk?"
 
Cassandra, smiled at him then, when he talked about Janey. She was quiet as her eyes and breath caught at the way he was looking at her. She watched him start to eat. Cass had to smile at how he went about it so quickly and singled mindedly. When he spoke about the eyes, she saw in her dreams, his eyes, she had to correct his misunderstanding.

"No, actually, I don't think you understand what I meant, maybe I didn't explain it very well. I really don't understand it that well anyway. Um, let's see, I came here and there were no pictures of you or your eyes in the case file. No. Yet, I felt something that first day on the ridge and later you were looking at me after I was down in the valley weren't you? I felt you there with a scope probably. That first day I found little Janey and took her home. I dreamed of your eyes. It wasn't a work thing, far from it, it was...well personal. Dreams." Her face took on a faint flush. Cassie looked down at her bowl. She picked up her spoon and ate a bite. Chewing and swallowing she the dropped the spoon, took a deep breath and looked up again.

"Only later as I investigated the case did I lock onto you as a possible suspect and get a picture of you. The eyes were the same. The same ones that held a knife to me in my own personal quarters." She shrugged.

She laughed when he talked about looks and lesbians.

"Hey looks have nothing to do with being gay, honey. In fact a lot of gay people take better care of their bodies than the rest of us but no I'm not gay, I like men, well some men. There are a lot of men, a LOT of men I don't actually like at all." She laughed her eyes saying much more than she could put into words right then. She lowered her eyes and ate some more.

He put his hand on hers and she looked up, her finger's flexing under his as if she had felt lightning strike. Cassandra's eyes so pale, looked a little bit lost but very much in wonder and happy. Her lips curled up into a smile. She listened to his next words. Her wonder grew even more.

"Me have the advantage, always?" She murmured like it was unreal to her. Her eyes squinted and her brow wrinkled as if trying to work out a puzzle.

His hand moved up and caressed her cheek and then moved down running his fingers through her hair. Cass leaned into his touch without knowing she had done it or thinking about it.

"I'd like to get to know you too, these next couple of days." She said softly again, her eyes glued to his, her feelings growing along with her hope. Wild she thought, This is wild.

"Good you haven't run yet. I haven't read anything that wasn't a how to or survival book in the large few years. I don't watch tv and don't read news papers much. The stew is what I hunt. The fancy thing I have to drink is beer, and desert is either chocolate or yellow snack cakes." He cracked a smile. "Still want to stay and talk?" He asked.

"Yes, I would like to stay...and...talk...very much." She said and smiled back at him. What he had done just then, was just like in her dreams. Well the beginning of them anyway and she wasn't ready to stop it yet. She wanted to see what might happen. Already what had happened felt better than a dream because it was real. Real was better by far, she grinned and finished her stew.
 
Last edited:
"Yes, I would like to stay...and...talk...very much."

" Come on and see what passes for entertainment around here..... He gently took her hand as they got up from the table and walked outside. The watch as the sun disappeared behind the hills slowly on an old crude unfinished wooden bench. He explain to Cass it was his first large piece when he as learning furniture making.

"I got better really." He laughed as he helped Cass get her t-shirt off a nub of wood sticking out. "The storage bins have held up pretty good and you have seen the kitchen table and chairs. Oh and sleigh bed. I got bored of sleeping on sleeping bags and pads two winters ago so I had some extra wood so it just happen"

Things weren't really sexual in any way except perhaps the hand holding. A very close and intimate act which in the past would have been a sign of love. Now adays it was something that seemed neglected. Little Janey sat between the couple on the bench. Finally she hopped off the bench with a series of little yippies and joined the other animals running around the pond.

" You can call me Hunter, Cassandra it was a nickname I picked up in college. Where I met my wife. Ah used to go out hunting and shooting every weekend until she asks to come one time. I thought it was so odd but she was real sweet...and well. Real pretty the same way you are.. So soon we were the couple who camped. Almost every weekend. Ah I am not good at this but I miss her but I think I am ready to start again. And well that starts with being friends."

He reached out and took her hand that was in the space between them and squeezed her hand softly. He looked her over up and down. She slid over and she fit in under his arm and brawd shoulder and she laid against his chest. It was a hell of a sigh of trust considering weapons had been drawn just earlier.

"I appreciate that....haven't been close to anybody in awhile."

"Its okay...we both kinda needed it. I mean well were cool right."

"Yeah I think so we both need to be close to someone, but well really I am not thinking about.......well I have honorable intentions. I have a place to sleep near the fire I do alot. You can have the bed. Maybe not totally. Janey tends to sleep their but you don't mind that do you?"

"Its your bed you have it or well at least a side. Its not like a go nude or anything well its just for warmth right?" What was she thinking? She figured he wouldn't kill her, but hell what had he done to trust to earn trust. It was hard to equate this man with one that killed a truck stop filled with drug runners with a machete, shotgun and his bare hands. Though even there he made sure that the waitress who was coming in to get her pay check protected. His body did feel nice though against her body. He was man in the way they were back centiuries ago. The rugged frontiers man cleaned up, but a body made rock hard from a hard daily life. She held his hand and wondered. She had to stay on her guard, but maybe he deserved a chance to explain.

"You like to dance Cassandra?"

"What there isn't any music silly let's jsut enjoy the night air."

"We can do both.....follow my lead." Once again he took her by the hand and lifted her up. The moved into a slow dance pose though it left some room and then slowly began to sway in the night sky. This went on for some very long moments until the both looked over and saw all the dogs looking at them like they were crazy. It made them both laugh together and smile. Something inside him though told him it was the moment and he moved his hands to the side of her face and softly kissed her with strength behind it. He moved back feeling some regret but he looked for a reaction.....
 
The sun had set but the night was still beautiful. The front porch was such a serene place to be. Cass heard cicadas calling through the trees and smiled.

Looking at the things he had made with his own hands and wood, she had a thoughts. How wonderful that there were still men who could do such things. What could he make of her, if he only wanted to, with those hands, that had so ably fashioned wood to his liking? She leaned closer and got caught to some of the wood.

That made him laugh. She loved the sound of it, his laugh she wanted to kiss him then, suck the laugher into her own body but she didn't. He helped her get free, held her hand and looked into her eyes again. She stilled for a minute then remembered to breathe again. Why do I keep forgetting to breathe? She wondered to herself. She reached out to pet Janey. It was safer to pet Janey than to do what she really wanted to.

When he told her to call him by his nickname, she laughed. "Hunter? I'm the hunter here. Always hunting down my man you know but...Maybe I'll come up with a new nickname for you. It might be a good idea. You are starting, something new now...we are..maybe?"

He touched her hand and again her breath caught. She slid over closer savoring the warmth of him, his special scent and this one quiet moment. She loved being away from everything and everyone.

Suddenly it seemed like they were taking a great leap forward, he was proposing that she sleep there tonight. Sleeping in his bed, with Janey though, not him. He wanted to be "honorable." She laughed.

"No I don't mind Janey but I'd hate to put you out of your bed. I have a tent all ready for me. I don't know..."

She did know though, she knew just what she wanted but as if he hadn't heard her, he pulled her up to dance. She heard the music of nature and closed her eyes putting her face on his broad chest. An old song came to her then. She smiled listening to it in her head. Singing little bits and pieces of it to him, she left out the things about lovers but the meaning was still clear.

"The carpet looked
like it would fly away
In the candle light
as the music played,
and you embraced

The taste was on his lips
Straight from the vine
to his fingertips
on your waist

Ooo lover my love.
Hidden dreams
since you were a girl
The mystery of a hidden world
revealed to you
You felt the rise of butterflies.
The look of kindness in his eyes
appealed to you.

Ooo lover my love.
I had a fanstasy,
and you
made it true for me.
I had a fantasy
and you
made it true for me.

Before morning comes
and the songbird sings
through your window.
You'll be up and gone
and he'll fall asleep
on your pillow.
Ooo lover my love.
I had a fantasy,
and you
made it true for me.
I had a fantasy,
and you
made it true."

They swayed and felt each other so close, so safe in each other's arms. It seemed neither of them wanted to stop dancing in this night. She reached up and rubbed her forehead on his chin. On the way back inside the cabin, she unexpectedly leaned against him from behind.

They were much like earlier when she had cuffed him. She again pulled his hands back and patted him down but this time she rose on her toes and kissed the back of his neck with a bit of a nuzzle.

"I wanted to do this earlier but it wasn't appropriate then, and it probably isn't now." She whispered into his right ear.

Her hands again traced his form but not for weapons or id anymore. In a few minutes she then she stepped back from him, her body leaving the outline of her body in a trail of heat on his back. She let him turn around. Cass smiled at him a little half smile. She held her hands up as if showing herself to be harmless.

"Sorry bout that, I got carried away." Cassandra said looking at him with an intensity that went very deep and burned bright in the white blue of her eyes. They seemed to glow with her inner fire and reflect the moonlight all at once.
 
"Sorry bout that, I got carried away." Cassandra said looking at him with an intensity that went very deep and burned bright in the white blue of her eyes. They seemed to glow with her inner fire and reflect the moonlight all at once.

He smiled at her and feelings he once thought dead or he tried to kill of seemed to surface. He was aroused and felt his manhood push against his boxer shorts, but this was something more then primal lust. It was those feels of warm and closeness. The feels when you first met someone, and at least for alittle while the world would be a better place to live and love. It was a peace that could change even a somber man to appear the happiest of men among his peers. He cracked a smile and for a man who truly did not feel happiness in the last few years of his life. He was a man on a crusade that would never end to avenge a death that could never be paid for perhaps was coming to an end? These were just feelings of lust not of love. This he had purged from his soul. Days and nights spent working out training, studying becoming more then a man more then a warrior. He had been an implement of revenge. Death carrying a bolt action rifle. How could her one act of affection could rock his world to the core.

"Ah nothing to be sorry about Cassandra. Just well I haven't been with a woman in a while. Sex well that is easy. Ah intimacy that is something a bit harder to have with someone. I haven't trusted anyone in while, but I would like to try that and share some closeness with you Cassandra." He moved foward and locked his arms around body holding her in a position that she seemed the perfect fit. I was like how one put a rifle to their shoulder. Something completely foreign to the body, but fit once it was there in place. He caressed her hair softly gently as if just like her hair brush or own hand.

"I would very much like to lay with you tonight," he quickly realized what he had said and clarified what he had just said moments just before, "I mean just hold you and cuddle. Your a regular woodsmen so we lay in our clothes minus the boots I think. To me that is special you can share some passion with anybody. Sleeping together is something else all together. Most people don't like it at all because what it means."

With a swing of his arms and body he picked her up off her feet. She instinctively grabbed on around his neck. She smiled he thought as he walked with her to the cabin. He slowly moved towards the cabin walking in with her the animals scrambling in after the couple with the door swinging. His thoughts wondered as he walked through the maze of his furnishing. She was snuggled up close to him and that felt good. The softness of woman's hands around his next. The femine smell that even without perfume brought forth a warm pleasurable feeling to the senses. It seemed Cassandra tried hard at not being a "girlie girl" but still the essance of woman was more powerful then to be hidden by gun oil and dirty blue jeans. It was a softness that was still present even in hands that had swung ax. He kissed her gently on the head. His ming may have been on the present, but it also brought back feelings of the past.

As he had just recited to her he thought about all the those moments he had shared that had not come close to the feelings he had for his wife. In fact it felt a bit more empty. Not for lack of trying on their parts. There was the friendly nurse from the hospital where he was treated for his injuries after the event. A nice woman kind and sharing. She helped him bare things in the months after or at least try. She did everything from keep him from suicide to things in his domestic life didn't fall apart. She paid his bills, cleaned up his apartment and was shoulder to cry on those many long nights. All she wanted in return was his love something he murdered. She called the night he perhaped to seek out his wife's killer begging for love an a relationship. He merely ereased the message. To man who had killed many people he thought that was one of the cruelest things that he would regret in hell.

Another girl was a stripper from a small roadside GoGo bar. A silicone filled cowgirl that was a transplant from the South. She was a single mom with a lovely little girl who loved butterflies. He saved her from a stalker nearly beating the knife weilding man to death. This was an act of chivalry to her and for the the time they knew each other she was shocked that he was not the one to bring up sex. He saw that her place was fixed up and lawn was cut. Groceries were always in the fridge, and her little girl always had someone to walk her home from school. He did all those things preplexing her to no end since she was always expecting a man to want something. They did share many passionate hours on many occassions before he moved on only after leaving her enough money to buy the local dinner. She had begged him to stay, and once again he was cold not wanting to drag her into his personal hell.

There were a few others over the years that he came in contact with over the years in passing. A hotel maid that gave him extra towels and cleaned up the bathroom full of his blood from one of his would without question. A biker chich that fixed his truck and lied to some state troopers for him. A farmers daughter who helped him scrap a truck that the authorities were searching for actively. The latest was that 18yo. tattooed teen prostitute. She oftered sex but he gave her a cellphone already dialed to her parents. She cried after a long talk over the phone. He gave her a hug and she gave him a kiss on the cheek thanking him.....that was more meaningful to him then sex.

When he did come back to the present once again it was him putting Cassandra down on the bed. It was very soft matresses covered by flannel sheets with sleeping bags at the end of the bed and many feather pillows at the end. The bed was actually at one time bunk beds with matresses going the other direction. He pulled off his t-shirt and revealed his muscular but battle hardened chest. Scars were all over ranging from knives, bullet wounds, grenade burns, and in one odd case a pitchfork wound. A skull and cross bones was tattooed on the upper left side of his chest. Actually a mistake of youth Sam would often look at it and just laugh making some joke about being a pirate. Next he pulled off his boots and socks and moved on around the bed and layed opposite Cassandra. He piled up a few pillows and gestured for him to come over with him and cuddle.

"If you don't want to that is cool. We can chat for while if you like. I just want you to be here and not think when your going to take me back in a few days." She opened her mouth to say something but he cut her off, "yeah you will. I will do my time. You won't get in trouble and well I will use my time to think and read. I have done alot of bad things, and you wouldn't want to be with a bad man. The war is over for me when it comes down to it. One day I will slow down or get to old or tired and some cop will get me. I never want to kill one. Dying in prison killing another killer is a fitting end to all this. End the cycle that I have made a mess of.....Sam would be so mad at me if she could tell me. I won't say I wasted time, but when I think it could have been spent with someone like you it does seem that way. So let's not talk about this situation and just be close." He reached out and caressed the side of her face. "Your so different but so special. A wonderful woman even if you don't think of yourself that way."
 
Cass looked at him wondering now how she could have done what she had. She awaited his reaction, not knowing if he'd be angry or just think she was a sad little kinky person. She didn't know what to expect but the last thing she thought might happen was what did. He smiled. Cassandra was able to relax a bit when she saw that. She chuckled and smiled back.

"Ah nothing to be sorry about Cassandra. Just well I haven't been with a woman in a while. Sex well that is easy. Ah intimacy that is something a bit harder to have with someone. I haven't trusted anyone in while, but I would like to try that and share some closeness with you Cassandra."

He moved forward and locked his arms around body holding her in a position that she seemed the perfect fit. I was like how one put a rifle to their shoulder. Something completely foreign to the body, but fit once it was there in place. He caressed her hair softly gently as if just like her hair brush or own hand.

She leaned against him and the strangest little sound came out of her then. Something like a moan mixed with a mew. Her body once again felt heated but his hand on her hair really did her in bringing tears to her eyes and a shudder to her heart. All these years of being rough. Now here he was breaking her down, seeing through her tough shell, treating her with kindness and affection. She felt scared and hopeful at the same time. She felt relieved too. She felt her walls break down just a little more and tried not to laugh. Here they were the huntress and her dangerous prey. What were they doing? Acting like some school kids with crushes they were scared to pursue but couldn't resist. Instead of guns and violence they were using tender words and touches. The other stuff she could handle. This was scary.

"I would very much like to lay with you tonight," he quickly realized what he had said and clarified what he had just said moments just before, "I mean just hold you and cuddle. Your a regular woodsmen so we lay in our clothes minus the boots I think. To me that is special you can share some passion with anybody. Sleeping together is something else all together. Most people don't like it at all because what it means."

She smiled up at him, wonder probably showing in her strange eyes.

"Yes." Was all she said, it came out like a prayer or a fevered wish whispered and not expected to ever come true.

With a swing of his arms and body he picked her up off her feet. She instinctively grabbed on around his neck.

He was able to do so and open the door to carry her into his cabin. It seemed to last forever this sweet moment as he walked through the lay out of furniture, toward the bed. Little euphoric bubbles of surprised pleasure popped in her head and she laughed a little clinging to him, feeling safe in his strong arms. Had any man ever felt so strong and yet gentle to her? Had anyone ever made her feel so feminine and cared for? No. Just him. The wonder of this made her laugh again. She hugged him tightly.

He kissed her gently on the head. She felt herself flooded with warmth and affection for him. This, she thought, is what it feels like to be a little soft woman who is cherished by her man. A sigh escaped her lips at that thought. They curled up into a smile again.

He lay her down on the bed. She could do nothing but watch him, mesmerized. He took off his T Shirt. She saw the scars then. She wanted to touch each of them. Wanted to trace them with her fingers and her mouth. Cass wanted to suck at them and lick them. She longed to hear the story behind each one. All scars carry their own stories she knew. Her's certainly did.

He gestured for her to come cuddle with him. She in a strange euphoric dream like state now and didn't move at first. He took that as hesitation. He thought that would lead to a no.

"If you don't want to that is cool. We can chat for while if you like. I just want you to be here and not think when your going to take me back in a few days."

Her eyes sparkled with tears at his words. She moved to say something but he stopped her and went on.

"Yeah you will. I will do my time. You won't get in trouble and well I will use my time to think and read. I have done a lot of bad things, and you wouldn't want to be with a bad man. The war is over for me when it comes down to it. One day I will slow down or get to old or tired and some cop will get me. I never want to kill one. Dying in prison killing another killer is a fitting end to all this. End the cycle that I have made a mess of.....Sam would be so mad at me if she could tell me. I won't say I wasted time, but when I think it could have been spent with someone like you it does seem that way. So let's not talk about this situation and just be close." He reached out and caressed the side of her face. "Your so different but so special. A wonderful woman even if you don't think of yourself that way."

She went to him, cuddled with him, and waited him out burning now for more than sex or love, now she needed to speak and explain. She reached out and touched one of those badges of honors a puckered bit of flesh faded now white. Then impulsively with great passion, she just kissed him as she stroked it, feeling the slightly raised flesh under her finger tips. Her mouth was hard against his, her tongue stroking into his mouth, tasting him. She moaned then pulled back. Cupping his face she looked into his eyes.

"I don't think you are a bad man. If you are? I want to be with you anyway. I can't think of turning you in now, not now. We can find another way. The two of us together can, I know it." She said then kissed that same scar and licked it before moving up to his mouth. There she licked the flames of their passion. For there it burned, on his lips and tongue, as surely as it did on her own.
 
Human contact is always an important thing. As much as one might isolate themselves off and tell themselves it there okay with their situation the loving touch of another is something that is always craved. Cassandra was the first in awhile to reach out and try to make contact with him in that loving way. He had been clear that he only wanted limited contact, but she moved forward anyway and to the depths of his soul he was happy she did. He soft crimson lips touched his skin and sent shock waves through his skin. Her kiss to his lips was inviting and passionate. It was one of those moments when all felt right and the path was most clear. The words that were uttered were sincere and kind. Though touches warm and sensual. This was but a perlude of more to come that night and he thought they both knew it. It was in the air.

He tugged off her top revealling her milky white breasts concealed underneither. He smiled move down her shoulders as he kissed her again. He hands moved down her sides softly caressing, and then dipping down into her waist band moving between her soft femine flesh and cotton panties. He undid her jeans before moving up her belly and cupping her breasts. His hands moves after pausing to hold her for alittle while. This would be slow the whole night he thought as he moved his fingers to toy with her light brown nipples. After toying with them for a bit enjoying her sounds of pleasure he moved his hands to her butt. She smiled at him as his hands slipped between her jeans and panties to feel her warm skin. He pulled her forward on top of him so that he could taste her breasts with his mouth easier. Circling her areolas with his tongue one after another slowly finish with a kiss each time before bathing her breasts in kisses and licks driving her wild with little nibbles on her flesh. He paused to continue those naturally crimson lips that he thought came out of a dream.

Cassandra did take the opportunity to roll him around though after sliding her arms under his with surprising strength. He felt her arms muscular with veils popped from hard work, but soft clean smelling skin. She slipped off the bed with her feet thudding on the floor as she landed with a smile on her face. She let down her long red mane shook her hair free. With her back to him she stripped down the rest of the way tossing her jeans panties and socks off to the side with her top. Then she turned around with one hand over her pussy and the other arm across her chest like a classic pinup model with her hair hanging.

"Cass....Cassandra your so beautiful. I mean don't know how oft you here it but you are....I haven't shared my bed with anyone for while. I would like it to be with you honey."

He then moved and to the same side of the bed and removed all of this things. There wasn't any really seductive way for a man to undress he always thought other then to have a woman do it for him so he stripped down quickly. He put asisde any feelings of self consciousness that you might have with an new person, because after all she already had which couldn't have been easy in normal circumstances never mind what had happen earlier. He stood there naked before her his muscules carved from hard work and hiking from many miles. Hands strong and had the look of any working mans that made them never seem really clean. Rough and tough and strong would how most would decribe a man like that stood before the untampered with beauty of Cassandra. Her eyes went from head to toe of him seeing him completely naked now for the first time. He eyes did slow looking over his midsection see his fully arosed manhood which was a something of note. They looked at each other but with all the pent up energy that had been building even before they had met or even scene each other they ran at each other like charging wolves. They met with a passionate embrace and lips met as the frenzy began. The wild passion as the couple tried to make sensusal contact in as many ways possible. Pushing against each other genitals brushing against each other chest to chest before they both fell onto the bed and rolled kissing and hugging.
 
Cassandra let him tug off her top. Her white skin was bright in the dim light of the moon.

"It's been a long time for me too." She says as she kisses him hungrily. "I've never felt like this before you, this is more."

She moaned and pushed toward his body, his hand when it came in contact with her mound.
She kissed him again, accepting all of him, the good and what some might call bad. She opened her heart, mind and body to him as she never had anyone else.

While he made her breasts tighten her hands slipped over his body tracing the hard smooth skin, the muscles and the scars alike. He kissed her and she felt an incredible warmth spread through her. Their tongues played hide and seek, then freeze tag with each other. She sucked at his mouth never wanting this to end.

Cass couldn't stand much more of this and without thinking she moved them so that he was beneath her. She took down her hair, stripped off her clothes. She stood drinking in the pheromones that hung in the air between them, covering herself as best she could. His words thrilling her she wondered if he could see her scars now, lovely on a man those but not acceptable on a woman, she felt. She watched him undress her lips curling up with electric excitement. She ran her eyes over his torso and his cock, which was more than ready.

Her eyes changed a little then, the blue almost white irises were drowned by the black pupils she growled and charged him like a wild animal. She kissed him savagely and he kissed back bruising each other's lips.

Their hands and arms kept moving searching, stroking, pinching all over as if neither could believe this moment to be real. Their mounds met and sang songs of promise to each other. Chests touched teasing them to greater need. The fell into the bed and rolled roughly, laughing out their joy at this wonderful carnal meeting, kissing and hugging. Cass pushed at him hard.

Getting up on her knees she pulled his arms up and held them above his head the straddled his chest.

"I think I'm going to get my man after all." She said. "Yeah I'm going to get you and get you and..." She laughed when he broke free and rolled her over taking charge. He was now holding her hands above her head and straddling her. His cock was so close. She smiled her cat smile and lunged for it. Hoping she was able to move close enough and he would let her. One way or another he was going to be inside her soon. She promised herself.
 
Back
Top