Seldom-Used Words

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose you don't have a detailed manual around showing how they did it?

:kiss:

A damn good make-up man, I suspect.

Do not forget that the nature of the photo emulsions made it vital to emphasise the particular features of the face; like the lips in this case.

There are not many shades of grey to black; there weren't in the originals.

Last edited:
I found this short piece

Here

by searching for "1920s makeup".

That's perfect. I'll give it a go.

I know Exquisition already did pulchritudinous but I really want to post this definition of pulchritude from the Urban Dictionary:
Pulchritude
perhaps the most ironic word in the English language. Few would guess that this awkward jumbling together of hard consonants means "physically attractive." Anyone, whether or not they know its meaning, ought to feel offended, and possibly violated, when likened to this unequivocally ugly word or any of its variants. An exception would be sepulchritude, which refers to a supremely destructive display of physical comeliness. Pulling off an act of sepulchritude is really awesome.
James, if you make reference to my so-called 'pulchritude' again, however flattering your intentions, I will be forced to castrate you with this spork.

Remember that 1920s black and white movies used techniques for monotone photography. The cupid's bow lips were often made with black lipstick, and actresses (and actors) wore white pancake foundation.

Lips were never understated. In real life it was bright deep red or dark red for lips. But other make up was very lightly applied because only lipstick was considered 'nice'. Obvious make-up except on the lips was for vamps, femme fatales, tramps and prostitutes! Light powder, very discreet blusher, a hint of eye shadow - that was all...

Remember that 1920s black and white movies used techniques for monotone photography. The cupid's bow lips were often made with black lipstick, and actresses (and actors) wore white pancake foundation.

Lips were never understated. In real life it was bright deep red or dark red for lips. But other make up was very lightly applied because only lipstick was considered 'nice'. Obvious make-up except on the lips was for vamps, femme fatales, tramps and prostitutes! Light powder, very discreet blusher, a hint of eye shadow - that was all...

I'll avoid wearing my cupid's bow look to the schoolgate, Og. Thanks for the warning. ;)

:kiss:

Welcome youngmother. I don't know the word you contributed nor its meaning, therefore:

dross - noun 1. the scum that forms on the surface of molten metal 2. waste or foreign matter: IMPURITY

James, if you make reference to my so-called 'pulchritude' again, however flattering your intentions, I will be forced to castrate you with this spork.

[/apology ON]
That bring a tear to the eyes just thinking about it.
[/apology OFF]

Welcome youngmother. I don't know the word you contributed nor its meaning, therefore:

dross - noun 1. the scum that forms on the surface of molten metal 2. waste or foreign matter: IMPURITY

Christopher Marlowe: Faustus -

Was this the face that launched a thousand ships,
And burnt the topless towers of Ilium?
Sweet Helen, make me immortal with a kiss!
Her lips suck forth my soul: see, where it flies!
Come Helen, come give me my soul again.
Here will I dwell, for heaven be in these lips,
And all is dross that is not Helena.

Shakespeare: The Merchant of Venice -

...Men that hazard all
Do it in hope of fair advantages:
A golden mind stoops not to shows of dross.

Thank you so much, Og, for the education on the use of dross. The wonderful thing about watching Shakespeare plays on DVD is I can turn on the subtitles and read as I listen. Many words are used that I am unfamiliar with and I keep a dictionary nearby to assist. Dross is one I had not encountered, as yet, and now, will not need to look up.

Back to the Ps;

percale - noun a fine closely woven cotton cloth variously finished for clothing, sheeting, and industrial uses

percaline - noun a lightweight cotton fabric; esp. a glossy fabric used for bookbindings

Back to the Ps;

percale - noun a fine closely woven cotton cloth variously finished for clothing, sheeting, and industrial uses

percaline - noun a lightweight cotton fabric; esp. a glossy fabric used for bookbindings

In the late 1950s and early 1960s percale was often used for shirtwaister dresses, the ones that needed crinoline petticoats. Percale could be produced with a glossy finish suitable for brightly coloured prints. It could be ironed easily.

il_fullxfull.364352564.jpg

The downside - the glossy fabric didn't breathe very well. As soon as the weather turned hot, damp patches in the armpits ruined the effect. :rolleyes:

It is still used for small girls' dresses because it wipes clean easily.

Last edited:

Hence the expression, "Turning gold to dross" (i.e., turning something valuable into something of no value).

Oh I love cloth words! I love it in Georgette Heyer books when she says the dresses are dimity or muslin.

Petit point. The smaller of the tent stitches in embroidery, the larger ones often being called gros point to distinguish them. Sometimes called petite point. Sound so charming, doesn't it! I sometimes do a bit of embroidery, I usually do bookmarks as they are small and make nice presents for people.

HP - I did one for myself that was an angling one! Did you catch anything today?

Og, I took sewing classes and learned about percale there, as well as from the most popular percale bedsheet material around. Percaline, though, I don't remember ever seeing in the fabric store, but then I wasn't looking for it, either.

Trysail, I have never heard that expression, where does it come from?

peradventure(1) - adv archaic PERHAPS, POSSIBLY

peradventure(2) - noun DOUBT, CHANCE

BTW, you may enjoy this hilarious poem by Thomas Gray:

On a Favourite Cat, Drowned in a Tub of Goldfish.

It's a delightfully whimsical parody of popular poems at the time (sorry about that alliteration, it honestly was unintentional!) about the loss of feminine virtue, and finishes up:

From hence, ye beauties undeceived,
Know, one false step is ne'er retrieved,
And be with caution bold.
Not all that tempts your wand'ring eyes
And heedless hearts is lawful prize;
Nor all that glisters, gold.

BTW, you may enjoy this hilarious poem by Thomas Gray:

On a Favourite Cat, Drowned in a Tub of Goldfish.

It's a delightfully whimsical parody of popular poems at the time (sorry about that alliteration, it honestly was unintentional!) about the loss of feminine virtue, and finishes up:

From hence, ye beauties undeceived,
Know, one false step is ne'er retrieved,
And be with caution bold.
Not all that tempts your wand'ring eyes
And heedless hearts is lawful prize;
Nor all that glisters, gold.

You sure you're in the right thread ?

Naoko, I write about the material and styles of dress my characters are wearing, because it is 1857 and quite a bit different. The new color in the fashion world in the 1850s was mauve. I so love saying that word.

Pequot - noun a member of the Algonquian people of southeastern Connecticut

You sure you're in the right thread ?

Oh, I should have explained. I thought of it because of the dross to gold thing. Besides, people in here will appreciate Mr. 'Full many a gem of purest ray serene/ The dark unfathom'd caves of ocean bear' (as well as Terry Pratchet!)

:rose:

Christopher Marlowe: Faustus -

Was this the face that launched a thousand ships,
And burnt the topless towers of Ilium?
Sweet Helen, make me immortal with a kiss!
Her lips suck forth my soul: see, where it flies!
Come Helen, come give me my soul again.
Here will I dwell, for heaven be in these lips,
And all is dross that is not Helena.

Shakespeare: The Merchant of Venice -

...Men that hazard all
Do it in hope of fair advantages:
A golden mind stoops not to shows of dross.

The word has also some currency with Christian hymn writers, being an easy rhyme for "cross"—as well as one with meaning easily tied in with Christian doctrine.

A verse of John Rippon's hymn How Firm A Foundation

When through fiery trials thy pathways shall lie,
My grace, all sufficient, shall be thy supply;
The flame shall not hurt thee; I only design
Thy dross to consume, and thy gold to refine.

From William McDonald's I Am Coming To The Cross

I am coming to the cross;
I am poor, and weak, and blind;
I am counting all but dross;
I shall full salvation find.

From Robert Harkness' At The Foot of the Cross

I met Jesus at the foot of the cross
When I was bound by sin;
Jesus met me, cleansed my heart of its dross,
He gave sweet peace within.

I skipped over this next word, because I thought I had already posted it. I had not, but Og had, under a different form, perambulation. One of my favorite series is HBO's Deadwood and the newspaper man wanted to form a Perambulator's Club, which I found very amusing.

perambulate - vb 1. to travel over or through esp. on foot: TRAVERSE 2. to make an official inspection of (a boundary) on foot ~ vi STROLL, RAMBLE

Naoko, I write about the material and styles of dress my characters are wearing, because it is 1857 and quite a bit different. The new color in the fashion world in the 1850s was mauve. I so love saying that word.

I think 1850s is early for mauve. The Analine Dye for Mauve was first discovered in 1856 but not mass produced until later when analine could be produced in bulk.

Its main popularity was 1862 to 1870.

Ok, obviously I am posting, while you are posting and that is life.

Og, you are correct. I put one lady in one mauve dress, as they had just arrived from San Francisco and found the fabric for the dress there. A stretch, of course, but it is fiction.

Carlus, how very resourceful of the Christians to use dross to rhyme with cross. If Jesus has been put on a stake, it would have changed their rhyming choices considerably. LOL

I skipped over this next word, because I thought I had already posted it. I had not, but Og had, under a different form, perambulation. One of my favorite series is HBO's Deadwood and the newspaper man wanted to form a Perambulator's Club, which I found very amusing.

perambulate - vb 1. to travel over or through esp. on foot: TRAVERSE 2. to make an official inspection of (a boundary) on foot ~ vi STROLL, RAMBLE

Perambulation, and Perambulators, were popular in the 1890s, with many local clubs in England. Some of them were formed by people who couldn't afford bicycles, then a very expensive purchase, and therefore could not join the cycling clubs.

The Youth Hostels Association was formed by people who wanted to perambulate around England (or cycle). Until the 1970s Youth Hostel members were expected to arrive on foot or by bicycle. That was originally Rule 1 of the YHA's Constitution. There was an outcry when it became Rule 4, but less of a fuss when it was finally dropped. While Rule 1 (or 4) applied, those of us who had cars or motorcycles had to hide them some distance from the Youth Hostel, and pretend we had perambulated to the Hostel. By the 1960s the YHA didn't really mind if we had used the vehicle to arrive in the area as long as we perambulated once there.

There is a whole series of books about the County of Kent, illustrated by line drawings by the author on a perambulate about the county.

To perambulate gradually acquired a sense of "to wander aimlessly". The 1890s perambulators were very purposeful and covered long distances on a perambulate, or walking tour.

Perambulators as Prams for babies and children were designed to allow the adults to walk further than the children could on their own legs, or than the parents could carry the children. Prams became carry-alls in the 1920s and 30s. My parents' pram was the old-fashioned deep bodied one. The baby rested on a wooden platform and the shopping (or coal) could be carried in the space underneath. Once the child was a toddler, a part of the board could be removed so that the child's legs could drop through and the child sat up in the pram.

My parents used to take my brother and sister for country perambulations with the pram, often covering fifteen to twenty miles in a day in the late 1930s.

Last edited:
Og, thanks for the wonderful information of Perambulator Clubs of England. The author of Deadwood said that was the reason he put that part in the series. I did expect a bit about the ever-so-popular prams, of course.

peppiness - noun the quality of state of being peppy

peppy - adj full of pep

Ok, obviously I am posting, while you are posting and that is life.

Og, you are correct. I put one lady in one mauve dress, as they had just arrived from San Francisco and found the fabric for the dress there. A stretch, of course, but it is fiction.

Carlus, how very resourceful of the Christians to use dross to rhyme with cross. If Jesus has been put on a stake, it would have changed their rhyming choices considerably. LOL

Very few people would know the exact date of the invention of mauve dye.

I am fairly sure that dross appears somewhere in the King James Bible but I'm not sure where.

Edited: Google has it: Proverbs 25:4 (KJV)

Take away the dross from the silver, and there shall come forth a vessel for the finer.

And Malachi 3 the basis for Handel's Messiah "The Refiner's Fire"

Perhaps the hymn writers read Shakespeare and Marlowe?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back