Help me understand Chyoo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just put up editthis.info/18plusstories/Main_Page

This Wiki code is new to me, so it'll be a bit before I can compile a guide that makes everything simple. For now, I'm going to put up some basic guidelines/standards and let people start signing up. If people like Torg join, I'll add them to the Mods usergroup.

Hi. I have been posting work to "Create Your Own Adventure" recently, and posted stories on CHYOO a very long time ago. I may be interested in helping to moderate or set up the new wiki.
 
Hi. I have been posting work to "Create Your Own Adventure" recently, and posted stories on CHYOO a very long time ago. I may be interested in helping to moderate or set up the new wiki.

I could certainly use the coding help. I'll bump you up to Editor level.
 
Might as well get a temp logo in place for the main page. Just a simple thing in Paint, eventually somebody else can make something nicer.
 

Attachments

  • 18plusLogo.bmp
    92.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 18plusLogo.png
    18plusLogo.png
    4.8 KB · Views: 9
They've disabled file uploads, so I'll grab something from a web link. Thanks for thinking of it.

Maybe there is something to be done about creating a type of "Review" page. Maybe encourage people to include a "Template" at the top of each of their story's pages, with a link to the main page, the discussion page, a separate review page? Maybe I will try this.
 
Look at what I did for the sample story that I added. I think that is the preferred format for Page paths, headers, and status bars. Good use of headers like that will strongly encourage reviews and discussion and comments, which are CYOA's biggest problem, I think.
 
I think that I understand most of the Wiki formatting stuff now, and I'm about to start working on site-wide templates and guides. Holvard pointed out some things that really helped me get up to speed quickly.

I think that I'll be able to start migrating stories sometime during this coming week. I have over 1200+, so I'm certainly not going to transfer them all. However, I will upload a .txt file or folder of .txt files for every story - once I've converted them - to rar or zip file at a free sharing site. (The archive of .html files is currently over 1 gigabyte, so it's way too large to leave in that format.)

There are some files that are basically blank, because Chyoo creates a blank redirect page when someone makes an option that jumps to a different thread in a story. Stuff like that and naming issues (all-lowercase folder names and such) can't be automated, so people will have to do that by hand as they read stories or create their own archive formats.

We'll also be putting up new content there that isn't traditional to Chyoo - or even most other sites. RPG-like text games, roleplaying-focused (like PBEM or PBP) stories, and arc stories (which is like "choose your own chapter") are some of the thoughts I've had.

Anyone can create an account at the editthis site and thereby read what's already up. Anyone who has put up good stories on Chyoo or who requests access and is approved by a "bureaucrat" or "admin" will be given "author" status and can start creating stories and/or copying them over from elsewhere.

Torg currently has Mod status, and Holvard has Bureaucrat status.



After I started backing up stories, I noticed that several started to disappear - some by the authors' choices, and others without apparent explanation.

If you want to back up stories from Chyoo, I recommend the following steps:

1) Open the story map
2) Use the Firefox add-on https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/multi-links/ to bookmark all of the links on the page
3) Open your Firefox Bookmark Library, open the folder containing that story's links, hit ctrl+a (select all), then ctrl+c (copy)
4) Open Notepad.exe or your Mac/Linux equivalent to create a .txt file
5) Use ctr+v (paste), and the URLs (starting with http://) of the story's bookmarks should all be pasted into the file
6) Save the file with the story's title, author, and the date you made the file, like: KnockedUpNotions-pervold-Jan2-2013.txt
7) Add https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/downthemall/ to Firefox
8) Set up your DownthemAll file-saving preferences - It's a good idea to include the directory paths in the renaming mask/auto-namer
9) Open the DownThemAll manager (the easiest way is to use the toolbar button - Get it by right-clicking your location bar area and choosing "Customize")
10) Right-click the manager and choose "Advanced", then "Import from file"
11) Select the .txt file you made
12) Use DownThemAll to download all of the links to a folder with the site and story's name - such as Chyoo-KnockedUpNotions

Doing all of that will give you a bunch of semi-organized copies of every page of the story that can be accessed from the story map. When your OS indexes it, you can then use a search function to find what you're looking for, or open the file locally and copy the text or file path to somewhere else to build your own story map.


You can use the same process to download recently added/updated threads from Chyoo. Go to Chyoo's main page, click "advanced search", don't enter any text (or just look for a particular pseudonym/author or story) or change anything except for selecting "show results as threads", then hit "search". You'll get a list of links that were recently created/modified and the date when each was last operated on. You can treat those search pages just like story map pages in order to save the content.
 
Struggled to log in at new wiki host

I can login to editthis.info, but cannot seem to get to a page on the new Seraphim Labs host that lets me log in or create an account. All I see when I attempt to log in is an indication that my IP address has been captured.

Is that the current state of things? Any trick to log in or create an account on the new host?

Update: It took me a while to figure out how to log in, since the content of the login page was also protected by the "click here to show original content" and needed scrolling down to find the login/create account form. I seem to be in at the new host now.

-Zingiber
 
Last edited:
The "Hidden content" code has now been removed, so new viewers shouldn't have that problem.

The big things are about ready to go. At the bottom of most pages there is a "Site Links" section that contains major pages - most of which are largely complete.
 
Alright, all of the major stuff is in place.

See: 18plusstories.seraphimlabs.com/mediawiki/index.php

The current main project is working out standardized keywords. Backups can be added. A guide for creating links to content on Literotica will be the next focus.
 
User Name

OK, I made a user name but I am still having trouble navigating the site. Is there another level of permission that I need to see everything that you have done?
 
The site doesn't exist any more. Anyone know what's up?
 
Hi, i'm a new guy posting (a avid chyoo reader/lurker though)
and i wondered why some stories disapear from the top stories list, even though they shouldn't with the rating they have?
(I will admit one of those are mine, so that's why i wonder :p)

Edit: it would seem (for my own story at least) that there is a bug in the statistic calculation. as i have 4,8 myself, but my story just has it marked as 0,2 instead.
annoying...
 
Last edited:
Hi, i'm a new guy posting (a avid chyoo reader/lurker though)
and i wondered why some stories disapear from the top stories list, even though they shouldn't with the rating they have?
(I will admit one of those are mine, so that's why i wonder :p)

Edit: it would seem (for my own story at least) that there is a bug in the statistic calculation. as i have 4,8 myself, but my story just has it marked as 0,2 instead.
annoying...

That edits explains the main reason for these drops. That happens to everybody. One of my stories is an even 5.0 but the public total shows 0.1 since it has several ratings. As you probably know, one username can only rate a thread once, but a story is made of multiple threads that can all be rated by one user. The problem in the public display is rooted in this somehow. A second rating on a story from one user will cancel out either this second rating or the first rating (not totally sure if there's a method to it yet), but the total number of votes still goes up. More simply: if a story with a rating of a 5.0/1 receives a new 5 rating from the same user, the public will see 2.5/2 instead of 5.0/2. The larger stories don't stand a chance of making the highest rated list, whereas a one-thread story from a qualified writer will dominate that list for years, assuming there are no malicious ratings.

There are malicious ratings and a few other problems, but this is the major one to which most people refer when they complain about low ratings. Base it solely off your home display and the feedback page, not the public display.
 
Two more things on this Lupin.

Another reason your story rating might drop is the denied threads. They're still part of the story until they're deleted, so low ratings on them still lower your ratings.

And remember that it's one rating on one thread for one username, not one user. We have this whole topic that shows someone using a bunch of names being used by one user, and he's known to give people 1 because he doesn't like us criticizing his low quality work. With all the accounts he has and says he doesn't have for writing, he could leave you several 1s on one thread while giving himself just as many 5s.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top