Editor has not responded in 3 months

NessAsity

Virgin
I need advice.

Hello there!

I joined Literotica back a few months ago and was interested in submitting a story. I contacted a volunteer editor to help me with my dialogue in the story before I submit it.
The convos went well and I sent my story for editing.
Its been now 3 months and this Editor does not return my emails. I understand if life happens and sometimes we cant finish a story, but the fact that this person just does not acknowledge my emails or even updates me on whats going on makes me think maybe they took my story?
I was looking forward to being on Literotica more often but having an editor ignore me is kind of making this experience not worth it. Any advice on what steps I should take?

Chalk this one up to "shit happens" and try to find another editor. That's about all you can do. You could look on the "Available Editors" sticky at the top of the Editor's Forum. The advantage there is that you know those people are currently active and editing, as opposed to the chances you take with out-of-date profiles on the Volunteer Editor list.

The editors aren't hired or vetted or anything by the site. Just people adding their name to the list, and the list isn't culled for inactive profiles or anything either. So it is a trial-and-error process.

Chalk this one up to "shit happens" and try to find another editor. That's about all you can do. You could look on the "Available Editors" sticky at the top of the Editor's Forum. The advantage there is that you know those people are currently active and editing, as opposed to the chances you take with out-of-date profiles on the Volunteer Editor list.

The editors aren't hired or vetted or anything by the site. Just people adding their name to the list, and the list isn't culled for inactive profiles or anything either. So it is a trial-and-error process.

Thanks for your reply!
I figured since this person and I first exchanged emails a few times first they were active, so I felt confident in sending in my story. Guess Ill just look for another editor.
Thanks a bunch!

I'd name the editor here to either flush them out for an explanation or to warn fellow writers not to bite on similar abandonment.

Post your story's wordage and genre here and someone else might step up to help you.

If you look at the volunteer editor profile list, it is current and listed chronologically. Many active volunteer editors don't advertise their availability on the threads for various reasons.

I wouldn't advise naming anyone on a thread unless they've committed fraud or other illegal activities. For all the OP knows, his volunteer editor could be dead. Hi Pilot. :)

If you haven't heard back from an editor within a week and he/she no longer responds to your emails, or hasn't told you they will be unavailable, that they have other projects ahead of yours, you need to move on.

Why would a dead "editor" who posted here under an alias object to having someone point out they didn't complete a deal? :D

Methinks "Lady" V is just afraid of being named.

I can't think of a single reason why an abandoned author wouldn't want to help save other writers here from the same frustration--other than offending "editors" here trying to protect each other.

Last edited:
Why would a dead "editor" object to having someone point out they didn't complete a deal? :D

Methinks "Lady" V is just afraid of being named.

I can't think of a single reason why an abandoned author wouldn't want to help save other writers here from the same frustration--other than "editors" here trying to protect each other.

Why bother to name an editor who obviously isn't available for editing for three months? Unless you don't have anything better to do. That would be like me naming a writer I recently got an editing request from who didn't like that I said their story wasn't editor-ready. I told them I would be willing to read it after it was revised. The writer took it well at first, then started sending me weird emails. Do I plan on outing the writer? No, but if I get another weird email, I may send an email to Laurel.

Methinks you don't know what you're talking about. I know of one volunteer editor right now who should not be editing at all. But am I going to publish their name on a forum? No. Why? Because I figure if he/she ends up with writers who are unhappy with his/her work, the writer has the ability to tell him/her their services are no longer needed, that they are looking for another editor. And there is also the option of reporting them to Laurel.

We're all adults here. If an author is "abandoned," they're not helpless. They can find someone else. Of course, I guess if it makes them feel better to out an editor, they could do that. But then, the chances of an editor wanting to work with them are slimmer.

You're the one claiming they might be dead, toots. Again, I think you are just trying to cover your own ass to the detriment of the writers here.

You're the one claiming they might be dead, toots. Again, I think you are just trying to cover your own ass to the detriment of the writers here.

Methinks you protesteth too much about my opinions on this issue.

I would think it would be easy to consider that one of the reasons I haven't heard from someone in three months is that they're dead.

To the OP: Good luck with finding an editor.

Fine. You are anti Lit. writer and I'm not.

There's no reason for them not to reveal who they think has said they are willing to help them (or has advertised availability and then just not responded) and then, they feel, has abandoned them--and thus help protect other writers here.

It's beyond time that the deadwood in this program was weeded out.

Pilot, you can believe anything you want.

If you want to discuss this further, pm me. This isn't my thread, and I've said enough.

:rose:

No, I don't have anything else to say to you. What I think about your position, I've already posted. Don't care if you don't like it. I'm being pro-Lit writer here and you aren't.

Why bother to name an editor who obviously isn't available for editing for three months? Unless you don't have anything better to do. That would be like me naming a writer I recently got an editing request from who didn't like that I said their story wasn't editor-ready. I told them I would be willing to read it after it was revised. The writer took it well at first, then started sending me weird emails. Do I plan on outing the writer? No, but if I get another weird email, I may send an email to Laurel.

Methinks you don't know what you're talking about. I know of one volunteer editor right now who should not be editing at all. But am I going to publish their name on a forum? No. Why? Because I figure if he/she ends up with writers who are unhappy with his/her work, the writer has the ability to tell him/her their services are no longer needed, that they are looking for another editor. And there is also the option of reporting them to Laurel.

We're all adults here. If an author is "abandoned," they're not helpless. They can find someone else. Of course, I guess if it makes them feel better to out an editor, they could do that. But then, the chances of an editor wanting to work with them are slimmer.

Why bother naming someone who hasn't followed through on something they specifically signed up to do?

How about so other authors don't have the same problem with that VE.

I'd name the editor here to either flush them out for an explanation or to warn fellow writers not to bite on similar abandonment.

Post your story's wordage and genre here and someone else might step up to help you.

I doubt the majority of them come here. Hell, the majority of writers don;t come to the boards either.

Why bother naming someone who hasn't followed through on something they specifically signed up to do?

So you feel it would be proper "etiquette" to mention the name of an editor who went MIA on a project?

If you want to name editors, ML, that's up to you, and whoever else wants to do so. As I've said, I don't see this as the best way to handle the situation. Maybe you and Pilot should create a thread where writers can name names and see if that solves the problem. Or maybe you should talk to Laurel about what improvements the editor's program needs. It's not my mind that needs to be changed, since I'm not the one in charge.

So you feel it would be proper "etiquette" to mention the name of an editor who went MIA on a project?

Those are your words, not mine.

I think naming people could lead to a lot of he said/she said issues which could make matters worse. I think the VE system needs changing but I don't have answers.

Those are your words, not mine.

I think naming people could lead to a lot of he said/she said issues which could make matters worse. I think the VE system needs changing but I don't have answers.

I'm of that thought as well, but the post I quoted made it sound as if you were in favor of "outing" to maybe save authors some grief.

I've said several times that if I saw an editor or an author outed for something my first thought would be its BS spite.

If you want to name editors, ML, that's up to you, and whoever else wants to do so. As I've said, I don't see this as the best way to handle the situation. Maybe you and Pilot should create a thread where writers can name names and see if that solves the problem. Or maybe you should talk to Laurel about what improvements the editor's program needs. It's not my mind that needs to be changed, since I'm not the one in charge.

I only provided one answer to something you said. Thoughts, opinions, back and forth dialogue . . . that's the best way to come up with solutions.

A lot of times when readers bitch about an author not finishing a series, or they read this horribly written story or etc...etc....

A common response is this is free site, how can you complain about free? Want top notch work and completed series? pay for them.

By that token my attitude as a writer is this is a free site. I have found a couple of good editors and I have been screwed as well. Its a crap shoot, but its free.

When I wanted something done reliably and professionally I opened up the wallet and paid someone. At that point I could bitch if I ws not happy.

Its free here and you get what you pay for.

Shame there are not as many threads where people thank an editor for their free efforts.

I'm of that thought as well, but the post I quoted made it sound as if you were in favor of "outing" to maybe save authors some grief.

I've said several times that if I saw an editor or an author outed for something my first thought would be its BS spite.

I think there is a better way to make VE's accountable once they sign up. Do I know what to do? No, I just have thoughts that lead to more thoughts . . .

Discussing a topic by offering opinions and ideas just might produce helpful solutions, don't you think?

A lot of times when readers bitch about an author not finishing a series, or they read this horribly written story or etc...etc....

A common response is this is free site, how can you complain about free? Want top notch work and completed series? pay for them.

By that token my attitude as a writer is this is a free site. I have found a couple of good editors and I have been screwed as well. Its a crap shoot, but its free.

When I wanted something done reliably and professionally I opened up the wallet and paid someone. At that point I could bitch if I ws not happy.

Its free here and you get what you pay for.

Shame there are not as many threads where people thank an editor for their free efforts.

I've noted threads thanking people for their help. However, many people don't want their name posted even if it is in a positive manner.

I think there is a better way to make VE's accountable once they sign up. Do I know what to do? No, I just have thoughts that lead to more thoughts . . .

Discussing a topic by offering opinions and ideas just might produce helpful solutions, don't you think?

Have you talked to Laurel? I would think that would be who to start with. As it is now, if a writer has a problem with an editor, they can contact Laurel. If this isn't enough, Laurel is the one to talk to.

Have you talked to Laurel? I would think that would be who to start with. As it is now, if a writer has a problem with an editor, they can contact Laurel. If this isn't enough, Laurel is the one to talk to.

What a novel idea. :rolleyes:

Back