Western Trails (closed)

heartofcourage

Literotica Guru
http://allswalls.com/images/girl-woman-beauty-face-blonde-blue-eyes-wallpaper-1.jpg

Penelope “Penny” Danville McGuire
Blonde haired, blue eyes, tall, statuesque figure
Irish heritage, first generation
Married to Seth McGuire

Just outside of Wichita, Kansas - 1886

He’s drunk again, Penny thought to herself as she listened to her husband’s violent tirade inside of their beautiful home. It was a palace on the prairie, but to her it simply felt like a prison. Her husband was a wealthy man, but one with a mean streak that would rival even the most hardened of criminals. He ruled their sprawling ranch with an iron fist and there was little place for her to take refuge.

She’d married Seth a little over a year after his first wife’s death. It wasn’t that she loved him, but more like he had seen her in town one day and decided that he would have her or no man would. Who was she to say no when he threatened to shoot her brother when he’d told him to leave their tiny home in Wichita?

So, she’d married him about six months ago and life had been complete and total hell. She missed her brother and her sister-in-law. She missed being free to move about when she wanted. Most of all, she missed the innocence that she’d lost that first night with Seth.

With a deep sigh, she stepped off their wrap around porch, her skirts trailing in the dirt as she walked to the stables. At least the horses there were better company than her drunk husband. She could hear the sounds of the men out in the bunk house as they played a game of cards. At least someone was having some fun that night, she thought to herself as she entered the stables and took in a deep breath of the horse scented air. It was her only refuge from a world full of horrors and she tried to make the best of it.

Last edited:
John Denver

http://www.karnival-house.co.uk/acatalog/ac169.jpg

John "Muerte" Denver
Steel grey eyes, brown hair, 6'2", lean muscled
Gunslinger, drifter

He watched the town draw closer, he allowed the horse to plod at his own speed, it had been a dry day and John was hoping to stay at least two days, buy some provisions, give his roan the rest he needed and then move on again. Towns like this one usually had the close-minded type of Sheriff and of course citizens ready to shoot first and then ask questions, if any questions were forthcoming.

The horse quickened his pace and it smelled other horses and water, John narrowed his eyes against the glare of the sun, pushing the brim of his hat lower, it was just another lazy day in town it seemed. How many town had he seen that looked just like this? He had forgotten to be honest. He shifted in the saddle, unconciously adjusting the two Colts riding on each hip, their worn handles and smooth edges speaking volumes of who and what John was to the person that knew how to look. The Winchester in the saddle sheath was just as worn, but all his gear and his horse was in good condition and clearly well-looked after.

At the edge of town he noticed the Livery and turned the big roan's head in that direction, when he dismounted in front of the building a young man came out, first John received the customary once-over and then the usual stiff smile.

"Good day mister, wish to stable him?"

John nodded,

"Good day sir, yes I do, but also he needs a brush, oats and water."

The young man nodded,

"Of course sir, how long do you intend for him to stay?"

"Two days at most."

John saw the gears grinding in the man's head,

"That will cost you two dollars."

The price was a bit steep, but John shrugged and pulled the coins from the money pouch on his belt right next to his pistol. He handed the money to the young man, drew his rifle from it's sheath, untied the saddlebags and lifted them off. He stroked over the horse's nose as it turned to look at him.

"See you later Sudden, don't bite the good man."

Penny quickly saddled her roan filly, her side saddle cinched in mere moments as she pulled the horse over towards a mounting block. Hoisting herself up in the saddle, she made her way from the stable. She didn’t want to stay there and experience Seth’s wrath. A fading bruise on her cheek from one of his tirades last week told her that her time on his ranch was drawing short. She’d either completely lose her mind or maybe commit suicide like his first wife had.

With that morbid thought, she turned the horse out of the corral and spurred her on towards the town of Blackwell, a short distance away from the sprawling ranch that her husband owned. He was the richest man in town and many were afraid of him and his legendary temper. Some even refused to look her straight in the eye lest word get back to him some how that they had been flirting.

The air that early evening was warm, clear, fresh, and did a lot to soothe her nerves and mind. She rode hard towards the town, a smile crossing her features as the familiar buildings and homes came into view. How she missed her little life there…perhaps she’d muster up the courage to visit her brother one of these days.

She made her way to the livery, smiling at the man there that offered to take her reigns. She tossed them towards him and slid off the saddle, smoothing out her skirt and putting her hair back into place.

“Thanks, Billy. Can you watch her for me for an hour or two?” She asked in her light and airy voice.

“Not a problem, Mrs. McGuire. No charge, as always.” He said with a tip of his hat.

“Thank you.” She smiled as he turned to leave, her eyes drifting towards the strange man that stood before a large roan horse, much the same color as her own. She was always a lover of horses and she couldn’t help herself as she approached him.

“That’s a fine horse you have there, Mister.”

John Denver

He turned to the approaching figure, he had heard her ride up and her quick exchange with the young man, but he had not taken notice of her until she spoke to him. In an instant he took her in and gave her a grim little smile. This woman was pretty, the ring on her finger spoke volumes about the trouble she could cause. Using the rifle's barrel he tipped his hat slightly.

"G'day ma'am, he sure is. Bred from the finest Mustang stock West of the Missouri."

He looked fondly at the horse,

"Name's Sudden, he bites, he kicks, he steps on toes, but he is one of the finest horses I had ever ridden."

He noticed how her eyes evaluated the big horse,

"You can speak to him if you wish ma'am, just stay away from his hind quarters. He takes glee in smashing a toe or two."

Penny couldn’t help but laugh at the name that he’d given his steed. She patted the horse’s strong neck, a smile on her face as the beast shook his head and nickered at her.

“He’s certainly a handsome boy. You ever think of breeding him? That’s my Rosie over there.” She pointed towards the stall that Rosie was being walked into, the roan filly shaking her head from side to side and prancing proudly. “I think they’d make some fine foals.”

She glanced at the handsome man next to her, suddenly realizing that she didn’t know him. A stranger? A traveler? Well, it was refreshing that he didn’t run from her in fear of her husband finding out that she’d been talking to him. She smiled up at him, her blue eyes lighting up at the possibilities that were suddenly unfolding before her.

“I’m being rude. I’m Penelope.” She said, extending her hand towards the stranger and intending to shake his hand.

John Denver

He looked over at the horse she indicated,

"She is quite a well-bred horse, good lines and definition."

He motioned to Sudden,

"I did not breed him, it was more a parting gift from the Rancher who does breed them. I think the only reason he did give him, apart from thanks, was because Sudden here is a gelded man."

He favored the big horse with a smile,

"Not that it stops him from having his fun, silly half-broomtail that he is."

When she introduced herself he was kind of taken aback, usually she will have some sort of nickname. He shifted his rifle to his left hand, shouldering the saddlebags, then took her hand in his, noticing it to be cool, soft and much smaller than his own. His eyes softened for a moment, making them seem more human.

"John, pleased to meet you ma'am"

He released her hand and then mentioned to the Hotel slash Saloon.

"Do you think their prices are reasonable? Or would it be better to sleep with Sudden?"

“Well, that’s certainly a shame. He’s a handsome creature.” She said, patting the horse on the neck as he tossed his head and showed his personality.

She smiled at the spirited beast and then glanced at the man that owned him. He was a handsome man, a stranger in town, but he had a clear love for his steed and she was a sucker for a man that treated his horse with as much respect as he did a man.

“It’s decent enough.” She said, shrugging her shoulders as he gestured towards the Saloon that also doubled as a hotel. “The won’t rob you blind. Billy here will take care of Sudden for you. Let’s walk over to the hotel together and I’ll get you a decent price.” She grinned up at the man and motioned for him to follow her.

John Denver

As she had started walking before him, she was a bit in front of him, being a man, he could not help but admire the view. He found himself wondering if she was as leggy as her young horse, the thought brought a thin smile to his lips as he lengtened his stride to catch up to her.

"Beg you pardon ma'am, but you are not from around here are you?"

He smiled disarmingly at her,

"Your accent seems a bit different from the other people here."

Penny turned and looked at the stranger with a surprised glance. Most people are these parts never bothered to notice little things like that about her. She smiled at him shrugging her shoulders in a nonchalant way.

“I was born in Ireland. My family moved here when I was an infant, but growing up in a family that speaks Gaelic and with an accent made me pick it up. You should hear my older brother. He’s lived here most of his life, but he sounds like he just stepped off the boat.” She said with a wide smile, one which quickly turned sad as she thought about the brother that she hadn’t seen in months.

“Come on. Let’s get you settled at the hotel.” She said, quickly changing the subject as she lead him to the brothel. The moment she walked through the door, it was like the loud partying that had been going on suddenly stopped and a quiet hush filtered over the room as those gathered tried to figure out if her husband were with her.

“Charlie, a round of drinks for everyone on me.” She called to the bartender and the mood in the room went back to the way that it was.

John Denver

He noticed the smile which turned sour and then the whole scene after that made him very uncomfortable, very suddenly. This woman was pretty, she had wits and from her manner it was obvious that she held some power in this town. He tucked his hat a bit lower, lowering his head so that somebody would not get a good look at him and perhaps recognize him, the last thing he needed now was some man coming after him and some adventurous sort think that he can take on Muerte.

"About that room ma'am, it's not too much trouble..."

He let his words hang, not wanting to tell her off and perhaps get her mad at him, it is true when they say: "There is no fury like that of a scorned woman."

“Nonsense.” She shushed him as he started talking about his room. She guided him towards the back of the bar, knocking on the madams door and waiting for her to answer.

“Isabella!” She called until an older looking woman, still pretty but past her prime, showed her face. The other woman smiled and embraced her warmly. “Isabella, this is John and he’s looking for a room for the night. I promised him I’d get him a decent rate.”

Isabella appraised the man standing beside Penny and then glanced back at the young woman that she’d come to enjoy. “I think I can make him a break. You paying?”

Penny opened her mouth to reply and then thought better of it. She glanced over at John and then back at Isabella. “I think I better let him pay before Seth finds out I’m buying rooms for strange men.” It was meant as a joke, but no one was laughing.

John Denver

So that was the husband's name: Seth. A name he did not like at all, he touched the brim of his hat in greeting to Isabella,

"Good day ma'am, I am sure I will not be too much of a burden."

He stepped inside as the woman ushered them inside, quickly calculating an amount and seemed very pleased when John delivered the cash pronto. She pointed out the room and John followed her directions, behind the door was a comfortable looking bed, clean at least. A chair, small table with a basin and water bucket. He nodded, it was reasonable for the price he paid and he could see the Livery from this room which made it even better.

Penny watched the stranger move down the hallway to the room that he’d been directed towards. He’d paid in cash, obviously he wasn’t hurting for money, but had wanted to get the best deal possible. He was obviously a drifter, a man that kept to himself.

“Do you think this will do?”’ She asked as she followed down the hallway towards his room, giving him a wide and pretty smile as he looked over the room.

John Denver

He nodded,

"It will do just fine ma'am, much better than hay in a barn."

He had to admit that he liked her smile,

"How can I thank you for helping me out like this ma'am?"

He suddenly felt that he could bite his tongue, here he was standing in a room with a pretty woman whose husband clearly held some influence and he made an offer which could be taken up very poorly by the wrong listener. But it was said and nothing he could say afterwards would make it sound any different.

“There’s no need to thank me.” Penny said, trying to pass this off as a simple good deed. In all honesty, it was nice to be around a guy that wasn’t trying to beat her or yelling at her in a drunken stupor. “Where would we be if it weren’t for the kindness of strangers?”

She smiled at him, glancing out his window to see her husband riding up on his black stallion. She gasped and ducked away from the glass quickly, her eyes wide as she trembled slightly. Surely he hadn’t known where she was gone. One of the good for nothing ranch hands must have seen her riding into town.

John Denver

"I would be where I am today ma'am, nobody have been kind to me..."

He stopped when she gasped and ducked away from the window, he glanced outside and saw a bear of a man riding down the street on a black horse. The cut of his clothing and the arrogant manner he held himself told John all he need to know.

"Go to the Saloon ma'am. If he finds you here there will be even more trouble."

He motioned to the ring on her hand, his smile grim.

"I figured as much from your reaction."

“If he finds me in the Saloon there will be even more hell to pay.” She said, peeking out the window to watch as Seth slid off the saddle and had words with the livery boy.

She sighed deeply as she looked toward John and noticed the way he smiled grimly at her. “I’ll just be slipping out the back. That way even if he does know that I’ve been here, I’ll be long gone.

“Hope you enjoy your time here in town.” She said, trying to sound cheerful but failing miserably.

John Denver

He quickly calculated the time it would take the man to get her and he nodded,

"Hurry Penelope, I don't think you have much time."

To add to his words he grabbed his saddlebags and rifle, pushing her with one hand in in front of him out of the room. He released her arm outside the room and gave her a reasuring pat on the arm.

"I will not be too far away."

He looked into her eyes and gave her a warm smile, then he turned and walked away, out through the door, through the saloon and out the bat-flap door. He walked across the street and into the General Goods dealer, placing his saddlebags on the counter top he started ordering what he needed, keeping an eye on the street outside.

Penny glanced at John as he pushed her out of the room and then reassured her that he would be close by. It was a strange comment from a man that was almost entirely a stranger to her. Why would he want to watch over her and protect her?

She didn’t think anything more about it as he gave her a warm smile and she scurried out of the saloon and tried to make it towards the livery stable without Seth spotting her. Her heart was racing and her palms sweating as she crept closer, only to hear her husband’s voice boom out across the street.

“PENNY!” She froze and sighed deeply, turning to face the man that was quickly turning into a nightmare. “I thought I’d find your good for nothing ass here.”

“Nice to see you too, Seth. Did you sober up enough to leave the house?” She asked him, trembling before him, but still cutting him down with her sharp tongue. Her husband was a hulking man who had been handsome in his youth. His years of hard living and drinking had taken its toll on his body, but he was still powerfully strong.

Penny wasn’t prepared for the hand that suddenly slapped across her cheek. She saw spots as she stumbled and then was suddenly jerked back to her spot by his strong hand, her cheek blazing hotly as she looked up at him with wide eyes.

“You’re going to learn to watch you tongue.” He hissed at her, people milling about the streets doing their best to ignore the situation lest they find his wrath upon them as well.

John Denver

He paid for the things and thanked the storekeep, as he stepped out he saw the man converging on the Livery, he could see trouble coming. He walked towards the Livery, seeing Penelope in front of the man, as he drew closer the big man slapped her and pulled her back into position. His fingers itched to pump a slug into the man's head, but he knew that he could not do it here. Instead he walked up and as the man drew his hand back, he reached out and grabbed the man's hand, squeezing it hard. A yank and the big man stood facing him,

"Not polite to hit a lady. Only man that does that is a pathetic weakling who can not stand up against a man."

The blood rose to Seth's face,

"Who do you think you are? Do you know who I am?"

John stepped right up to the man and sniffed,

"You are the town drunk by the smell of it."

He saw the movement and readied himself for the shove on the chest, he stepped back and smiled at the man.

"See? Can't even push a man down."

That did it, Seth bellowed in anger and stormed at John, John ducked under the big fist and hit him with a knee to the gut. Soft living made the gut soft and John was satisfied to hear air rushing out of Seth's mouth.

"I am John Denver. A man you will wish you never met."

He shoved the big man away, stepped away and dumped his gear, he grinned at Seth when he turned around.

"You have a choice big man, go for the iron on your hip or put up those dukes of yours. No man shoves me around and walk away from it."

Penny was stunned when someone actually came to her rescue, stopping the second blow from coming as she was pushed to the side. She turned and watched as John defended her against her husband, wincing each time he landed a blow to Seth’s body. Her face stung fiercely, but it was nothing compared to some of the other beatings she’d received at his hand.

When she heard John’s words, she gasped and was quick to push herself between the two of them. She pressed a hand to Seth’s chest, her eyes turned towards John. “Stop it. The two of you!” She hissed as a crowd started to gather around them. “You’re only embarrassing yourselves.”

She could feel Seth panting, his breath coming in sharp pants. She looked at John and begged him to just walk away. It would only be worse if he pushed the issue and truly got Seth riled up.

“I’m going to teach the bastard a lesson.” Seth hissed, the sound of his gun drawing from the holster making Penny turn with wide eyes as she saw his silver six shooter in the gathering gloom of dusk.

“No!” Penny shouted, her hand moving to knock the gun upwards as the first shot was fired. Chaos broke out around them, the crowd that had gathered scattering to find cover as the drunken Seth took aim again.

“Seth, stop!” She cried out, yelping as the second shot grazed her own shoulder, pain and blood blooming from the wound as he shoved her to the dirt and took aim at the stranger without her interference.

John Denver

He wanted to shout at her to get out of the way, he had no inkling to kill the man, a shot was fired, the bullet flying skywards, then Penelope took one to the shoulder and then his target was cleared as Penelope was shoved aside. With a pistol training on him, his hand flashed and Seth's gun went flying to one side, another shot and his arm bloomed with crimson. Holstering his pistol John walked closer.

Through his anger and drunken haze Seth still realized death as John stepped up to him, then the man bowed and helped Penny up...why he turned his back on him like he was nothing! That angered Seth, clenching his bleeding gun hand he pulled back his fist.

John had waited for this, he swiveled on his heel, bringing his fist up from his hip, the connection jarred his arm straight to the shoulder. He watched as the big man staggered back and then he crumpled to the dust.

"Boss!"

The shout made John look at the approaching horsemen, shit, the last thing he needed. He touched Penelope's arm,

"Sorry about this, but I am not going to kill them all."

Scooping down he grabbed his rifle and saddlebags, flinging them over his shoulder, his pistol sliding out of his holster and pressed against Penelope's head as the leading man pulled to a stop, trying to draw a bead on him.

"Shoot and she dies."

The threat was real, the hammer cocked and only a twitch and her life would end. This stopped the men cold, though loyal to Seth, they loved Penny in their own way.

"You, Billy. Saddle the horses."

He faced the men again as well as the gathering crowd,

"I will let her go, but as soon as I'm free."

The moment she hit the ground, Penny knew something was wrong. Her arm throbbed in the most horrible of ways and when she touched her right shoulder, her fingers came away smeared with blood. Her eyes were wide as the pain spread through her body and she felt slightly sick.

Turning her gaze towards John, her eyes went wide as he dispatched Seth, punching him hard in the jaw after he’d been shot. She struggled to sit up as he helped her to her feet, wincing at the pain that laced through her arm. Her eyes turned towards the sound of horse hooves, the men from the ranch shouting for their boss.

She gasped as John moved quickly, gathering his things before he pulled her close and she found a pistol pressed against her temple. She froze, her eyes wide with terror as he told the men that she would die if they shot.

“Please don’t do this, John.” She whispered to him as she heard the hammer click and knew that she was only a trigger squeeze away from death. The men to their credit stopped and backed away, giving them the space that he wanted. “Just let me go and be on your way. I’ll keep them from following.” She said, glancing out of the corner of her eye at the side of his face.

John Denver

He ignored her words, Billy brought out the horses and stood there trembling with them, John tossed his saddlebags at Billy's feet.

"Strap that on."

He waited, looking at the wound, it didn't seem too bad, but they didn't need to know that. When Billy was done John motioned him away, pulling Penelope over, he slid his rifle into it's scabbard, he hoisted her up into Sudden's saddle, gathering the reins of her horse, he got up behind her and urged the big horse forward, one hand holding the reins as the oher held the pistol at Penelope's head, the men backing away. Suddenly he dropped his pistol into it's holdter gathering up the reins,

"Gidup!"

Sudden sprang forward, the big horse's speed taking them away so quickly that the shots that rang out went wide. He forced the two horses around a corner of a house and gave Sudden his head, letting the horse pick the speed and way. Soon they were racing through the outskirts of town.

Penny trembled in fear as John worked smoothly to ensure that the horses were saddled and ready to go. She wasn’t scared of John, but she was terrified of what would happen if John were killed and she was forced to go back with Seth. She gasped as she was pulled over towards his horse and hoisted into the saddle.

“You can’t take me with you.” She said softly, her free hand clenching her wounded shoulder as he got up behind her, the reins caught up in his hands while the pistol pressed against her head once more. “He’ll kill you.”

She let out a squeal as the horse was suddenly kicked into action. She reached out to hold something and found nothing, only to have John’s free arm wrap around her belly and hold her tightly in the saddle. The wind whipped past her as they ran out of town and she could feel her belly clench in the most horrible of ways.

Back