CHYOO Busted! Every Chyoo thread contains only "sdffs" and its continuing problems

Gunde

Really Really Experienced
CHYOO Busted! Every Chyoo thread contains only "sdffs" and its continuing problems

Right now, it looks like every single thread on Chyoo consists only of "sdffs" and they were all modified 10:31 AM Jan 17, 2014. Every single one of them.
This can't be good.

And now they've all been modified at 10:50 and 10:52 AM.

They've also been retitled Introduction 1. Denied threads are appearing at the bottom of the previous threads as a choice as though they were approved. Ratings, feedback, and story titles haven't been affected.

Anything I missed? I'd prefer to know as much as we can so we can minimize the number of PMs to Laurel and Manu.

I don't think you did. A new thread was just posted, titled "ggg". Don't know if that's a test or a new fuck-up.
Edit: You feel like posting a test thread to see if new threads are also affected?

Just posted one. It came out unedited, but now I'll see if it glitches.

Also, the notes from writers and editors are cleared as well.

Okay. I just hope someone will know what's going on, and be able to fix it.

It happened only a couple hours ago (edit: 7am my time), because I was browsing a story when it suddenly turned into the confusing state it's in now.

I just hope someone has a backup.

Oh, The Choice, you wonderful thing! Will I ever get to add threads to you again?

edit: I also noticed this is my debut post. I wish my introduction was on a more positive note. :(

Last edited:
Well, how strange. If I try to start or read any story from it's beginning page with the list of authors, editors, and such, I get these errors:

Error querying: UPDATE command denied to user 'thechyoo'@'lita.xcite.net' for table 'story_views'

Error querying: The MySQL server is running with the --read-only option so it cannot execute this statement

I can't start reading any stories from scratch thanks to this. One would think every single story on Chyoo is now currently unreadable or lost due to this, however, things seem to be perfectly fine if you access it from the story map. Of course, you can't do it without getting into the story unless you're the author/editor (in which case it would be instantly accessible from your user control panel on the site), but there's another way to bypass that.

You just take the link of the main cover page of the story:

http://www.chyoo.com/index.php/main.story.cover/9542 for my story, The Choice, for example.

And you just change main.story.cover to member.story.map:

http://www.chyoo.com/index.php/member.story.map/9542

If you have an account on Chyoo and are logged in, you should be able to access story maps like this universally for any story. From the story map, you can see that every thread in my story is still unchanged and the entirety of it is still intact. By changing the numbers at the end of the URL, you can access other stories and see that they're still in tact, too, meaning that the site-wide edits of "sdffs" have most likely been fixed. Now it's just a question of getting the front page of each story working, but with this alternative of accessing the story map by changing the URL, we at least don't have to wait to do so.

Search for threads with the advanced search function, and you should be able to access them as normal. But yes, the normal way of starting a story doesn't work.
And the previous problem has been resolved, hopefully permanently.

Doubtful. Someone restored a prior version of CHYOO without actually fixing anything. The test threads are gone, manual edits are removed, the stories were last updated over 12 hours ago, and deleted threads have been restored. It also stands to reason accounts created between then and the restoration have been undone. The most we can hope is someone triggered the error manually, accidentally or otherwise. If it's a dormant glitch that can awaken at any time, then we're going to have problems on our hands again.

This only reinforces the need to keep our threads safe somewhere off-site, as well as the need for an update to the coding.

EDIT: We also can't submit new threads, edit existing threads, report problematic threads, or rate threads with or without feedback. I have no clue if moderators can delete threads. However, the underlying truth is we still don't have CHYOO. Not completely. I'm not even sure this is a restoration anymore. This more closely resembles viewing a cached version.

Until the problem is completely alleviated, this topic is going to be stickied.

Last edited:
Chyoo Sort-Of Broke?

Getting an error message when trying to begin any story -

Error querying: The MySQL server is running with the --read-only option so it cannot execute this statement

This is when I click on the grey "Begin (storyname)" button on the stories title page. Nothing else on the page, no way to continue.
Howevers, if you go to the story-map page and select a page from there, it loads fine and you can play no problems.

Is this a sign of the Chyoo End-Times? Is our day of rapture near at hand?

EDIT - apologies for positing this elsewhere, I didn't relate the title to the problems on CHYOO at the moment. Any chance of changing it to something more attention grabbing and decriptive?

Last edited:
Oh, damn. We can't submit new threads, either? I thought the error just came at the story's front page. Bummer. Really hoping this all gets fixed soon.

Update!

We also can't create new accounts - which means no new users - update our profiles, or reset our passwords. However, we can contact each other, provided we supplied a good email address.

I've PMed Laurel and Manu again. Hopefully we'll have another fix soon.

Glah, back up, but still getting the error when starting a story from the main page, adding threads or voting

X(

Update!

Upon logging in, I found a PM from Laurel. While I would have preferred this posted to the forums, I'll take it. The content:

Laurel said:
This is as it should be. I can't say any more right now. Just know that the site is not editable for a reason, and that we are working on the problem. I'll update you when I can. :rose:

Kaitou1412 said:
If one of you restored the erroneous version of CHYOO with a previous save of the site, I say on everyone's behalf: Thank You.

However, the site remains nonfunctional. Reading requires us to access the story from either a thread link or direct linking to the story map, thereby rendering the immersive text feature useless. New threads cannot be added. Existing threads cannot be rated, edited, or reported.

Please tend to these problems, and keep CHYOO users abreast of the situation with posts in our forum.

Thank you.

I really hope this means we're on the verge of our long awaited update.

I suspect it means that someone hacked the website, and was still attempting to do so. They probably set it to not be editable to prevent them from doing further damage while they figure it out.

I suspect it means that someone hacked the website, and was still attempting to do so. They probably set it to not be editable to prevent them from doing further damage while they figure it out.

It's fixed now.

I wonder if this is related to the weird username that was screwing up my threads a couple weeks ago.

Even if this is true (which is doubtful since every thread was hit at the same time), they'd have to update the site to fix the exploit(s).

The fact that this has taken so long is encouraging. It shouldn't take this long to deal with a hacker attack and, even if it does, it means CHYOO is getting some attention from the high-ups. This suggests substantial changes are coming. I hope it's not a case of "Big changes are coming!" and then nothing whatsoever for over seven years, we already had that and it sucked..

Back