Any actual editors here?

Karenas

Really Experienced
I have contacted over a half dozen volunteer editors (and I completely understand the" volunteer" part), the majority of whom are "available this month." I've not received any responses. Not even a "Sorry, too busy."

I'm a good writer--I'm not asking someone to slog through word spaghetti. I'm asking for someone to catch my typos, remove commas, and help me in a more literary rather than grammatical sense. Maybe more of a beta reader than an editor?

Am I asking too much? Am I not using the write code words? I'm extremely frustrated. I love to write and I want to be the best writer I can be--but I need an editor to make that happen.

Any advice?

Adding the word count and genre here might help. Someone might have time for a 5,000 word story, for example, but not be able to do 25,000 words.

;)

So far, my stories are running around 4-8 thousand words. The Halloween contest story might run more like 10 or 12. I haven't finished it yet.

So far, my stories are running around 4-8 thousand words. The Halloween contest story might run more like 10 or 12. I haven't finished it yet.

I can do a short one this week. PM me if you're interested.

Short, on word thats a few pages. Literotica makes our work seem so miniscule. When looking for an editor look for the ones with newer dates.

I second your :confused:, ML. I'm guessing he means people who signed up for VE more recently under the theory that they might still be active.

That could be, PF.

I was thinking of current posters with older dates.

At least one of the the ones I contacted was from the September list.

Anyway, I have had two pm's volunteering their time and that is wonderful! I thank them and you, MistressLynn, for the chance to work with them/you.

I forgot to answer the category part of your question: right now I am working on two stories: one incest and one non-human for the halloween contest. Pretty much everything I write has some flavor of BDSM regardless of the category.

Perhaps, given kindle and B&N's nook there is a question about lit's long pages.

I think loquere means what PF said. A load of 'available' editors have long ago hung up their red pens and retired to the TV with pipe and slippers. Doesn't there need to be a trimestral census to verify which ones are still active?

... retired to the TV with pipe and slippers. ...
That I do enjoy, but I still edit, at least for some of my long-term victims.

... Doesn't there need to be a trimestral census to verify which ones are still active?
Better would be what some other sites use: a periodic (e.g.once a month when the VE logs on) check on all VEs asking whether (s)he is still available. However this has been suggested many times (even by other people than me) with no reaction from the owners.

That I do enjoy, but I still edit, at least for some of my long-term victims.

Better would be what some other sites use: a periodic (e.g.once a month when the VE logs on) check on all VEs asking whether (s)he is still available. However this has been suggested many times (even by other people than me) with no reaction from the owners.

Snooper, I don't log in every month because I have many writers that I edit for automatically. What I mean is that once I edit for a writer then by default I will always accept stories from those writers. I will admit that a few of those writers have tapered off but I use this additional time to write my own stories.

I suppose if there is a writer desperately seeking an editor (who according to SR71 I'm not a good one) then I could take on another writer on if their stories are in the 5K range.

But I have a bad habit of returning the edited stories in 1-2 days.

Not sure where I'm going with this...

Back