iPad art tools?

theDragnet

Virgin
Hi there. I'm new on this board but I thought I'd dive in and start a thread. I hope that's appropriate.

Do any of you use art tools on the iPad or other touch devices? I wonder what works for you and why? I've been using Brushes to doodle a little bit and I like a lot of aspects - layers, the ability to export at high res, the fact that you can make marks directly on the "canvas". But I find the actual brushes themselves are a bit meh. Anyone have any tips?

Here's a little self portrait I did while I was in bed sick with th eflu a couple of weeks ago, using Brushes on the iPad

tumblr_mfu7sl8LSR1r5d0fao1_400.jpg

http://thedragnet.tumblr.com/post/39206078909/wilder-shores-of-love-self-portrait-dec

I'd be grateful for your opinions

Nice pic.

I use the app too. In settings you can change the bristle density. Have you tried that?

PP

Only that one.

Is it me or does it seem time consuming doing such on the iPad?

Only that one.

Is it me or does it seem time consuming doing such on the iPad?

I find any for of drawing time consuming, so a yes on that one ;)

I like the iPad but I find it hard using my finger for a long time on the glass. And I find the styluses available not really sensitive enough.

I find any for of drawing time consuming, so a yes on that one ;)

I like the iPad but I find it hard using my finger for a long time on the glass. And I find the styluses available not really sensitive enough.

An iPad is a compromise and your finger does get sore after a while. How long did it take to draw the above pic?

Hi there. I'm new on this board but I thought I'd dive in and start a thread. I hope that's appropriate.

Do any of you use art tools on the iPad or other touch devices? I wonder what works for you and why? I've been using Brushes to doodle a little bit and I like a lot of aspects - layers, the ability to export at high res, the fact that you can make marks directly on the "canvas". But I find the actual brushes themselves are a bit meh. Anyone have any tips?

http://thedragnet.tumblr.com/post/39206078909/wilder-shores-of-love-self-portrait-dec

I'd be grateful for your opinions

Awesome job, I use my iPad allot for art. I have not ever used Brushes but I use a similar app called Procreate. Here you can see my ipad made stuff here

http://pinterest.com/jsaundersstudio/my-artwork/

Lots of options like layers and layer styles and the brushes are really good and customizable with options to buy art packs of really well developed brushes. I also use photoshop touch to do photo editing after its done and I used Pixlromantic for fun to see what would happen, like throwing paint on a finished piece.

I also had fun with autodesk Sketchbook Pro. Sketch book ink also looks real good for line art, but I have not tried it.

As for fingers, I don't use them, always used a stylus and now I have the Pogo Conect, wich is awesome, not as good as Wacom for the computer, but being mobile helps off set that restriction. I look forward to the death of computers and working lounged on a couch.
Keep showing us your stuff, and I promise to start a few projects that I can post hear.

WOW! Top work, so I take it you edit on a mac or pc afterwards?

I can and I do (PC, I can work with both, but I prefer PC for at home): these illustrations however were all done on the iPad using the apps I mentioned. A few started out as paper and pencil sketches, but I wanted to try and see if I could do some serious work on my iPad, and I can;)

I use ArtRage. Even though not a professional artist, it is fun to use. Have no idea how it stacks up to the other apps mentioned above.

Awesome job, I use my iPad allot for art. I have not ever used Brushes but I use a similar app called Procreate. Here you can see my ipad made stuff here

http://pinterest.com/jsaundersstudio/my-artwork/

Lots of options like layers and layer styles and the brushes are really good and customizable with options to buy art packs of really well developed brushes. I also use photoshop touch to do photo editing after its done and I used Pixlromantic for fun to see what would happen, like throwing paint on a finished piece.

I also had fun with autodesk Sketchbook Pro. Sketch book ink also looks real good for line art, but I have not tried it.

As for fingers, I don't use them, always used a stylus and now I have the Pogo Conect, wich is awesome, not as good as Wacom for the computer, but being mobile helps off set that restriction. I look forward to the death of computers and working lounged on a couch.
Keep showing us your stuff, and I promise to start a few projects that I can post hear.

Really cool diverse range of work. I like the portraits best. The one of the girl smoking is really resonant. I have been thinking about Procreate as it's been recommended to be before.

Thanks for all the tips. I will try that stylus next time I get paid!

An iPad is a compromise and your finger does get sore after a while. How long did it take to draw the above pic?

That one, I did on and off when I was in bed with the flu. Probably four or five hours over two days.

I just did another one of me and my bandmate Jennie (based on the back cover image of our recent album) - this one was probably a couple of hours just sat and working solidly - mostly in brushes then "fucked up" in Snapseed to give it a bit of grunge. Two colour variants:

Pink Deathline

Blue Deathline

I'm aware that this is an erotica forum and I do have an idea for such a piece, which will be my next one, I promise! :devil:

Last edited:
Thats pretty hot Dragnet... I like how you played around with negative space. Don't be afraid to crop more the layout of an image.
Thank you for the props :)

Back