Figures and portraits

ananda23

Experienced
Howdy y'all! I've been lurking for a while and really dig a lot of the work here and thought it was time to share. I've been doing figures and portraits for my own amusement for a while, and I think this might get me to buckle down and work more steadily. My interests lean toward classic pinup photography and Vargas style figures and portraiture, but I really have a thing for people in general. I'm working on getting better scans of my pieces - unfortunately, pencil doesn't photograph well. I'm interested any thoughts you want to throw at me. So we'll start this little experiment with Ms. Bette Davis...

Attachments

• Bette_03.jpg
    Bette_03.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 926
Looks good, keep on, ;)
I only think you've to focus on the lines, sometimes are too "hard" for me, I prefer more "soft" shapes, but that's my taste!

Looks good, keep on, ;)
I only think you've to focus on the lines, sometimes are too "hard" for me, I prefer more "soft" shapes, but that's my taste!

Thanks so much for the response! I can totally appreciate that. My usual style is a bit softer, and as lovely as I find Ms. Davis, she's a little more... angular... than my usual subjects. I'll post some other pieces - this one really stands apart from my usual style.

Thanks again for the feedback! :)

Other pieces

Here are a few more pieces from the last year. The most recent is Duke, finished just last week. Julie Newmar and Marilyn are both perfect examples of pieces I would've preferred to scan - the photos really don't do them justice. Both look a bit out of proportion because I suck at getting a straight-on shot, and the subtlety of the shading was lost from the glare. And finally, Myrna Loy - anyone who knows who she is without looking her up, give me shout! ;) Any and all thoughts are welcomed!

Attachments

• Ellington.jpg
    Ellington.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 427
  • Newmar.jpg
    Newmar.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 386
  • Monroe.jpg
    Monroe.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 409
  • Loy.jpg
    Loy.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 334
Wow. Fantastic line work. I especially love Marilyn's dress! I fight with the lines so I truly appreciate those who can master their control! Nice work. :)

Those are some very nice drawings, Ellington looks so innocent in drawing

wow really think these are excellent and especially like the Marilyn Monroe. Look forward to seeing more. :)

Thanks kindly, y'all!

I have another Julie Newmar - just finished today. Hot damn, is she sportin' some fantastic gams or what? So much fun to draw.

I reminded myself why I shouldn't work into the wee hours of the morn - by the time I started working her fishnets, I was damn near cross-eyed. But all in all, I'm pleased with how she turned out.

Enjoy! :)

Attachments

• JNBlack.jpg
    JNBlack.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 209
Portrait painting is a genre in painting, where the intent is to depict the visual appearance of the subject. Beside human beings, animals, pets and even inanimate objects can be chosen as the subject for a portrait. In addition to portrait painting, portraits can also be made in other media such as, etching, lithography, photography, even video and digital media.The term 'portrait painting' can also describe the actual painted portrait. Portraitists create their work by commission, for public and private persons, or are inspired by admiration or affection for the subject. Portraits are often important state and family records, as well as remembrances.
----------------------------------------------------
website templates

Portrait painting is a genre in painting, where the intent is to depict the visual appearance of the subject. Beside human beings, animals, pets and even inanimate objects can be chosen as the subject for a portrait. In addition to portrait painting, portraits can also be made in other media such as, etching, lithography, photography, even video and digital media.The term 'portrait painting' can also describe the actual painted portrait. Portraitists create their work by commission, for public and private persons, or are inspired by admiration or affection for the subject. Portraits are often important state and family records, as well as remembrances.
----------------------------------------------------
website templates

Thank you for that clear, if painfully dry, definition. (??)

My hands have finally recovered from Julie, but I haven't decided who to draw next. Any suggestions?

Back