rejected, now what?

noye

Experienced
Well I submitted my story and the poor thing got rejected. It wasn't a shocker a lot of ages had been left out but all characters were over 18. Bad thing is my pc broke so my editing is horribly slow and equally as bad via tablet keyboard. I've taken the steps and contacted 3 editors but is there anything more to do?

For those of you who write and were rejected can you tell me what you did?

Did you click on the rejected link? That will give you some idea of why the story was rejected. Seems the biggest offenders are underage/potential underage, and poor punctuation, especially with dialogue.

We'd be happy to help, just need more information.

As for editors, it's a bit of a shot in the dark. The editors on the volunteer list or the editor's sticky in the Editors' Forum are not vetted or approved by the site, nor is editing by any of them a requirement for posting.

If you'd like, and the story isn't too long, I could look at it for you. Send me a private message (PM) and I can give you an email to send to.

Did you click on the rejected link? That will give you some idea of why the story was rejected. Seems the biggest offenders are underage/potential underage, and poor punctuation, especially with dialogue.

We'd be happy to help, just need more information.

As for editors, it's a bit of a shot in the dark. The editors on the volunteer list or the editor's sticky in the Editors' Forum are not vetted or approved by the site, nor is editing by any of them a requirement for posting.

If you'd like, and the story isn't too long, I could look at it for you. Send me a private message (PM) and I can give you an email to send to.
Erm well the story has 2700 words I think so not sure if it's too long, and it's totally because of potential underage(totally not intended)with a few spelling errors. Run-on sentences probably but wasn't mentioned.

Erm well the story has 2700 words I think so not sure if it's too long, and it's totally because of potential underage(totally not intended)with a few spelling errors. Run-on sentences probably but wasn't mentioned.

It's definitely not too long. Lit has a minimum length of 750 words, but no max length.

If you think underage is the culprit, then go through the story and clarify where you need to. You can also resubmit with a note in the Notes field specifying that all characters are over 18. Sometimes that's all it takes.

It's definitely not too long. Lit has a minimum length of 750 words, but no max length.

If you think underage is the culprit, then go through the story and clarify where you need to. You can also resubmit with a note in the Notes field specifying that all characters are over 18. Sometimes that's all it takes.
Oooo good idea! I'll try that first and I wouldn't mind you having a quick look too while I'm in the middle of self editing on this so incoming PM! =D

You often see a simple disclaimer in italics at the start of a story;

All characters in this story are over 18

This seems to satisfy the requirements.

It doesn't satisfy requirements (and is cynically dishonest) if the content of the story indicates otherwise. A disclaimer means nothing. It's what's in the content of the story that is important and shouldn't suggest underage.

The disclaimer would help but you also have to avoid having the characters doing things that children do, such as attending elementary school, playing in the Little League or with dolls or toy trucks. :eek:

It doesn't satisfy requirements (and is cynically dishonest) if the content of the story indicates otherwise. A disclaimer means nothing. It's what's in the content of the story that is important and shouldn't suggest underage.

noye said that all of his characters were over 18 but he may not have clarified this in his text.Many authors in his position do state clearly their age limits and this should help guide the reviewers.

Edited to add: Boxlicker is on the button here.

It satisfies requirements just as much as the "don't enter here is you are under eighteen" does on every adult website including this one.

Smashwords has recently requested that "characters are 18+" disclaimer on incest stories over the last few months.

Its all CYA for the sites to say "Hey, look we have a rule they agreed and lied, its on them not us"

I don't think a disclaimer is an automatic "they're hiding something" or is disingenuous, I think its your personal stance that you believe every author here is out to write underage stories and the majority here are not and do not.

Just like you try to tell people "high school" is all underage and won't fly here and they are not and they can and do quite often.

There's a difference between your opinion and what really goes here.

If we're trying to advise the author, then I agree that a disclaimer won't necessarily let a story pass muster. In theory, the content of the story needs to be thought about as well. If a story is written and the characters are clearly underage, a disclaimer of over eighteen isn't going to let the story by if it's looked at in any detail. Of course it happens, but stories are also rejected if the reviewer has the time to read a bit more carefully.

I don't know what this author did, but they should consider what they wrote in this light. Unless you're Jethro from the Beverly Hillibillies, you can't be over eighteen and have sex in the eighth grade, and you can't be over eighteen and just be sprouting your pubic hair. When I wrote my Halloween story, I had a group of eighteen year old boys/men masturbating while watching two women get it on. I carefully thought about how I would word that to ensure the story wouldn't be bounced. Truthfully, it would have worked better if they were younger, but then the story doesn't go through. Their presence was important to how the story ended, so I couldn't afford having to remove them from the story entirely.

If we're trying to advise the author, then I agree that a disclaimer won't necessarily let a story pass muster. In theory, the content of the story needs to be thought about as well. If a story is written and the characters are clearly underage, a disclaimer of over eighteen isn't going to let the story by if it's looked at in any detail. Of course it happens, but stories are also rejected if the reviewer has the time to read a bit more carefully.

I don't know what this author did, but they should consider what they wrote in this light. Unless you're Jethro from the Beverly Hillibillies, you can't be over eighteen and have sex in the eighth grade, and you can't be over eighteen and just be sprouting your pubic hair. When I wrote my Halloween story, I had a group of eighteen year old boys/men masturbating while watching two women get it on. I carefully thought about how I would word that to ensure the story wouldn't be bounced. Truthfully, it would have worked better if they were younger, but then the story doesn't go through. Their presence was important to how the story ended, so I couldn't afford having to remove them from the story entirely.

Seeing how many stories I've seen here referring to budding breasts....your pubic hair analogy might pass muster:rolleyes:

Sometimes I really think the site is adapting to amazon's wink wink rules. In other words amazon says none of this and that, but as long as it does not say certain things in title and description the interior content can be pretty much anything and they let it go, until there is a complaint then they block it and say you broke the rules..but they let it through in the first place

I think that is what I see a lot of here. No we don't want you saying 15 and....but if you can be clever.... then....wink wink.

Since the two day posting time has been consistent I have seen a lot more rule breaking stories here than before. If the story is reported it will eventually get removed as the site took a closer look due to a complaint, but otherwise its more hit and miss that ever.

I think the site looks at new author's more closely, hence these threads we see. But for establish authors? My feeling is its not even a glance. I think when the site sees a TX Rad or DG Hear or Pilot story they say "Yeah, sure" and just go to the next because those authors have been around a long time and don't break rules.

The problem with that benefit of the doubt mentality is there are some long time authors here who have been getting away with things for a long time. A couple of them are very popular here and again I go back to a little "wink wink" going on here.

Now this is my point on the underage rule, the other rules snuff/rape/ bestiality...there is far less of an effort to check into those. Just go through LW and for rape/snuff and as another author and I were discussing in another forum don't even try to say many non human stories are anything but poorly veiled bestiality whether a "unicorn" is a myth or not its s till a woman sucking a horse cock.

Okay here's an update and some clarification with context so you can see why it was rejected. First off I got in touch with an editor so YAY! I had done some self editing for better clarification and here is the example:

"I've been fucking her and your older sister for the past year!"

this is a dumbed down example of course, but the girlfriend was near the protagonists age and the sister of the protagonist was older than they were. It easily could have meant that there was underage sex involved so for context here is the after version:

"Ever since Seriah turned eighteen she's been worshiping my dick and I've been screwing your big sister senseless for the past year!"

Again dumbed down but you can see less room for interpreted miscommunication between the two pieces. This is why it was rejected most likely so with help of the editor I'm working with all of the other infractions should be easily fixed in a few days.

I'm sure you're right, LC. I don't think there's really a way for the editors to read every story and get stuff posted on a timely basis. Of course, they can hire a team of editors, but I doubt that the site finances would really allow that. Let's be real. This site has a lot of traffic, but BMW and Apple aren't advertising here. The ad rates have to be miniscule.

Okay here's an update and some clarification with context so you can see why it was rejected. First off I got in touch with an editor so YAY! I had done some self editing for better clarification and here is the example:

"I've been fucking her and your older sister for the past year!"

this is a dumbed down example of course, but the girlfriend was near the protagonists age and the sister of the protagonist was older than they were. It easily could have meant that there was underage sex...

Yeah, the under-age rule is one of the three major no-no's of Lit and arguably the one enforced most diligently. The other two - snuff and animals - can be circumnavigated by entering into the supernatural or horror categories, but if there is even a hint of the story straying close the 18 year age limit, rejection is almost a given.

Disclaimers are basically a waste of space. I guess they have been abused too often in attempts to sneak underage stories through approval. So the story gets checked regardless.

Good luck with the story - looking forward to reading it. You might consider putting a link in your signature to make it easier for people to locate it. :)

Well I submitted my story and the poor thing got rejected. It wasn't a shocker a lot of ages had been left out but all characters were over 18. Bad thing is my pc broke so my editing is horribly slow and equally as bad via tablet keyboard. I've taken the steps and contacted 3 editors but is there anything more to do?

For those of you who write and were rejected can you tell me what you did?

Stop. Reassess priorities.

Yeah, the under-age rule is one of the three major no-no's of Lit and arguably the one enforced most diligently. The other two - snuff and animals - can be circumnavigated by entering into the supernatural or horror categories, but if there is even a hint of the story straying close the 18 year age limit, rejection is almost a given.

Disclaimers are basically a waste of space. I guess they have been abused too often in attempts to sneak underage stories through approval. So the story gets checked regardless.

Good luck with the story - looking forward to reading it. You might consider putting a link in your signature to make it easier for people to locate it. :)

Oh man didn't even consider putting a link there, thanks for the tip! Sometimes my blonde shows >.< as soon as I get approved I'll post a link there

I'm sure you're right, LC. I don't think there's really a way for the editors to read every story and get stuff posted on a timely basis. Of course, they can hire a team of editors, but I doubt that the site finances would really allow that. Let's be real. This site has a lot of traffic, but BMW and Apple aren't advertising here. The ad rates have to be miniscule.

I wouldn't say the site has made anyone wealthy, but I'm sure it does alright.

As for advertising? How can anyone contact Laurel about advertising when the contact us button doesn't work?:rolleyes:

Whatever this site makes it could be tripled without a lot of effort and who said she would even have to pay editors? I am sure she would get a few volunteers. The excuse they wouldn't meet her standards is something I can't even type with a straight face.

The same thing just happened to me, only I specifically stated that both characters were at least 18. And yet, "under 18" was the reason given for rejection. What the hell am I supposed to do?

The same thing just happened to me, only I specifically stated that both characters were at least 18. And yet, "under 18" was the reason given for rejection. What the hell am I supposed to do?

If you want, I can take a quick look for you. If you're interested PM me and I'll give you my e-mail address

I'm not awesome at editing but I'd be willing to give you a hand if needed!

Only one person screens the stories here, so it's quite possible she missed your statement about the characters' ages. If she did miss it, and it wasn't clear from the story that the characters are over eighteen, then it might get rejected. Sometimes all you need to do is resubmit it with a note in the Notes field stating that it had been rejected before, but you're resubmitting it and all characters are over 18, etc. I think Laurel (who screens the stories) may be more likely to see that specific note than just another line in the story, even if it's a note at the start or something like that.

Back