How Do You Measure Literotica "Success?"

I get pissed off with the one-bombers. I have to be honest. But, other than that, I don't really take too much notice of the numbers. However, I do have four or five readers (yes, that's about the sum of it) whose opinions I value.

But my real 'test' is how I feel reading the story three or four months after it has been posted. :)

I think I've allowed the numbers to lead me astray. It's the reason I brought it up in the first place. When I look over my submissions to this point, it's a little embarrassing to have such a large proportion of them in the I/T category. I made the mistake of thinking those stories were "better" than the other stuff I had been writing, simply because those first few I/T stories and chapters got a ton more views, lots of positive comments, and attracted followers like mad.

I can look at those numbers and think, "See, it's working!" But I have to wonder if I wouldn't be writing better stories if I hadn't let those numbers guide me each time I've sat down to write something new.
Seduced by the penguins, Lexx, seduced by the penguins. Time to try another rock, maybe?

I like my analogy. We’re all pretending that Lit is a real (physical) bookstore and that we are published authors.

Although imperfect, a click (view) is a person picking up the book and thumbing through it. A scoring is cha-Ching, they bought it (Remember, we all buy books we sometimes never read, right?). A long thought out comment is a book review by some guy in a tweed jacket with elbow patches and a waxed mustache (you know, when it’s a five?). And it’s a big hairy sweaty guy in a tank top t shirt that makes his back hair visible when it’s a one. A shorter comment like “I splooged all over my keyboard” is like a person talking about our book to their book club. A follower is someone who shows up to our book signing. And people who contact us directly via Lit emails or other means are Kathy Bates from Misery.

In spite of these all being just numbers on a screen, they represent people) except when they’re bots.) Success is pride of ownership combined with readership, I’d say in conclusion. And Lexx, you’re doin’ fine.

Last edited:
They haven't removed me after 13 years. Success!
Why is it i cant spell "S-U-C-C-E-S-S" without saying it like a cheerleader?

My formula for "Lit success":

I am having fun + at least one reader enjoyed my writing = I succeeded.

Lit has the analytics to be a great training ground; however, the analytics can easily be manipulated both internally and externally(one/ five bombs, sweeps, category bias) so they can be considered meaningless.

All that said, many ways the analytics can be interpreted as a success rightfully so in your case so congrats and enjoy it!

I thought I was doing really well until I read your post. Now I feel like a total failure.

So if one of your metrics is making other authors feel bad about themselves, add one to your list.

Hurumph.

I think I've allowed the numbers to lead me astray. It's the reason I brought it up in the first place. When I look over my submissions to this point, it's a little embarrassing to have such a large proportion of them in the I/T category. I made the mistake of thinking those stories were "better" than the other stuff I had been writing, simply because those first few I/T stories and chapters got a ton more views, lots of positive comments, and attracted followers like mad.

I can look at those numbers and think, "See, it's working!" But I have to wonder if I wouldn't be writing better stories if I hadn't let those numbers guide me each time I've sat down to write something new.

I'm still having fun with it, so I guess that counts. :)

Its only a mistake to have a large number of stories in a category if you're writing for numbers and not because you enjoy the category.

The allure of numbers is understandable, it is the only 'payment' you can get here other than taking satisfaction in your own work. I think everyone in the beginning gets a bit hooked on numbers and the vaunted Red H, top lists etc.

But after awhile you can see the numbers lose some of their shine, not just because you start getting them, but you realize how meaningless they can be.

You have a lot of I/T stories and you have 4k followers. most from that category I'd assume...so you put out your new I/T story and it does very well, but...is it that good or is a lot of your core audience doing the "Its not his best, but I like his stuff and want to be encouraging, so here's a five."

I'm not saying this to sound like a jerk, but at the point I'm at unless I dropped a deliberately crappy story, either with polarizing content I know that readership doesn't like, or filled with inconsistencies, errors etc...I'm getting a Red H...only question is will it be on the lower end or be in the 4.7's?

That does not mean I'm that great of a writer or my stories are so amazing, it means I have a large following and many who have been with me from the start. I once received a comment that said "Any LC story is worth a 5"...that's nice of them, but it gives me no barometer of whether or not the story is any good.

Write what you want. If you enjoy I/T keep writing there...you're not less of a writer for sticking with one category. If you want to try other categories, go for it and as many readers stick to categories they like they're not following you there so you may get a more honest reaction.

I started out mostly in I/T then spread out into some other categories, but the last few years its been mostly I/T because its what I like and at this point I push myself on off lit work so for here I just go with what I have the most fun with.

You have good numbers and a great base, now its up to you if you're happy with where you are and running up stats or if you want to test yourself in other directions.

Neither is wrong in anyway as long as you're doing it for you and not anyone else

This is something I’ve been thinking about, having posted the final chapter of the my story series two weeks ago. (It has just fallen off the bottom of the list of new stories on the ‘First Time’ Hub.) I started writing on 9th May 2019, my first chapter was published on 18th July and my final chapter was published on 15th May 2020.

All 15 chapters are rated at 4.6 and above, (nine are rated at 4.7 or above). The series has received about 140k views (an average of 9k per chapter or thereabouts), 1700 votes, 104 favourites and 64 comments in total. (The last four chapters are each about 15 votes short of the magic 100 they need to get into First Time Toplist; one chapter is there already at position 239.) I have 72 followers and a handful of people have messaged me directly. I have no idea how this compares with anyone else.

My series is a ‘slow-burn’ romance (my two main characters do not lose their virginities until Ch 11) and I know that’s not necessarily the type of story that the majority of site visitors are looking for. I think the final four chapters were quite ‘steamy’, but I don’t think they enticed back those who’d been put off by the cautious build up - not even the penultimate chapter (written as a ‘stroker’), which has a somewhat provocative subtitle.

Nevertheless the comments and messages I have received (especially on the final chapter) suggest that I have a small, but loyal following of readers who have enjoyed the journey that I’ve taken them on - and that, I think, is reward enough. This was one of the comments I received:

ive followed this series since it started. i checked the site everyday for a new chapter and was always so happy when a new one was released. thank you so much to the author, who has let this ugly, awkward boy sitting at his computer at least have the chance to dream about romance and sex. it wasnt just about the sex (although that was a huge part). it was about the idealistic yet realistic and exciting romance. this was and will always be my favorite literotica series. ill miss it more than you can know.

The other important aspect for me, has been the way that my writing has developed over the course of the year. I looked back recently at my first chapter and I know that, if I was starting again, I would write it a little differently, with a faster pace and a lot more dialogue. I have edited it a little, but as I was doing so, I was conscious of how much I’d learnt and how far I’d come.

I am having fun + at least one reader enjoyed my writing = I succeeded.

100%

My stories: https://www.literotica.com/stories/memberpage.php?uid=5133214&page=submissions
My latest chapter: https://www.literotica.com/s/tybalt-and-juliet-ch-15

Last edited:
This is something I’ve been thinking about, having posted the final chapter of the my story series two weeks ago. (It has just fallen off the bottom of the list of new stories on the ‘First Time’ Hub.) I started writing on 9th May 2019, my first chapter was published on 18th July and my final chapter was published on 15th May 2020.

All 15 chapters are rated at 4.6 and above, (nine are rated at 4.7 or above). The series has received about 140k views (an average of 9k per chapter or thereabouts), 1700 votes, 104 favourites and 64 comments in total. (The last four chapters are each about 15 votes short of the magic 100 they need to get into First Time Toplist; one chapter is there already at position 239.) I have 72 followers and a handful of people have messaged me directly. I have no idea how this compares with anyone else.

My series is a ‘slow-burn’ romance (my two main characters do not lose their virginities until Ch 11) and I know that’s not necessarily the type of story that the majority of site visitors are looking for. I think the final four chapters were quite ‘steamy’, but I don’t think they enticed back those who’d been put off by the cautious build up - not even the penultimate chapter (written as a ‘stroker’), which has a somewhat provocative subtitle.

Nevertheless the comments and messages I have received (especially on the final chapter) suggest that I have a small, but loyal following of readers who have enjoyed the journey that I’ve taken them on - and that, I think, is reward enough. This was one of the comments I received:

The other important aspect for me, has been the way that my writing has developed over the course of the year. I looked back recently at my first chapter and I know that, if I was starting again, I would write it a little differently, with a faster pace and a lot more dialogue. I have edited it a little, but as I was doing so, I was conscious of how much I’d learnt and how far I’d come.

100%

My stories: https://www.literotica.com/stories/memberpage.php?uid=5133214&page=submissions
My latest chapter: https://www.literotica.com/s/tybalt-and-juliet-ch-15

That's how it works with series, as it moves along your votes/views may drop, but the score rises because people who did not like it, or aren't that vested in it, drop off and leave you with your core audience.

I thought I was doing really well until I read your post. Now I feel like a total failure.

So if one of your metrics is making other authors feel bad about themselves, add one to your list.

Hurumph.

Ohhh, quit your whining, you’re doing great!

(No more fishin for compliments though. That means Everybody!)

Here’s your ‘stories’ link though. Think about adding to your signature and join in the fray! Edit-removed link and sent a PM instead

Last edited:
Fun?

Sure, there is a lot of fun in writing, but if it was just fun, well, I can find ways to have more fun that are a lot less work.

I started writing as a means towards emotional catharsis. I chose Lit as a platform, frankly, because I thought I could push boundaries here that I could not push elsewhere.

It was an intense experience. It was an emotional roller coaster, and while there was fun and joy in it, there was an awful lot of angst and anger as well.

But there was something about the act of writing that compelled me to continue after I had achieved my original purpose. It became a much more joyful experience. There was, and continues to be, a lot more fun in it. But there is so much more for me.

That's how it works with series, as it moves along your votes/views may drop, but the score rises because people who did not like it, or aren't that vested in it, drop off and leave you with your core audience.

That has definitely been my experience.

When I first joined Lit I was afraid to publish anything. I did not feel that I was good enough to write anything to share with others, and I had never done it before. I was encouraged by a friend that I was writing with to publish something here. When time finally allowed me to slow down and write, I couldn't stop! I don't think it was an excellent story by any means, but people were reading it and liked it! That was enough for me to feel successful. I don't have nearly the numbers as others here, but I measure my success by people reading what I've posted and getting positive and constructive feedback. I would love to write more some day and am currently working on a few projects. Maybe people will like it, maybe they won't. I think like others have said here, once it is submitted and published- that is success in itself!

Ohhh, quit your whining, you’re doing great!

(No more fishin for compliments though. That means Everybody!)

Here’s your ‘stories’ link though. Think about adding to your signature and join in the fray!

Just going to put this out there as something to consider.

A story link is a good thing because a lot of people are too lazy to look up the name
On the other hand it makes it easy for trolls to click on and go bombing when you post something they may not like.

Just wanted to put the con out there with the Pro.

Last edited:
Just going to put this out there as something to consider.

A story link is a good thing because a lot of people are too lazy to look up the name
On the other hand it makes it easy for trolls to click on and go bombing when you post something they may not like.

Just wanted to put the con out there with the Pro.

Good point. (You’re such a pro!). Anyway, with the influence of your feedback, I edited the link out of my post. Knowing you, you’ll do the same. :)

This is a great conversation. Take the following with a grain of salt because I've been on Lit for 4 months... I mostly write to improve my skills. However, I write under two pen names -- one for the gentler stuff, like erotic coupling, group sex, anal--and one for what I consider the harder/more taboo stuff, like nonconsent and incent. I get more reads, hearts, scores, emails, whatever from the harder stuff in a way that I don't get from the softer stuff. It's really interesting. Curiously, my number of followers is almost identical for both pen names. People like their super-kink. As do I. And I'm happy to give it to them. As long as I can continue to perfect my craft and become a better, more creative writer.

Last edited:
This is a great conversation. Take the following with a grain of salt because I've been on Lit for 4 months... I mostly write to improve my skills. However, I write under two pen names -- one for the gentler stuff, like erotic coupling, group sex, anal--and one for what I consider the harder/more taboo stuff, like nonconsent and incent. I get more reads, hearts, scores, emails, whatever from the harder stuff in a way that I don't get from the softer stuff. It's really interesting. Curiously, my number of followers is almost identical for both pen names. People like their super-kink. As do I. And I'm happy to give it to them. As long as I can continue to perfect my craft and become a better, more creative writer.

Jackpot. :D

Hurumph.

I looked at AnnasFriend's profile page and went, "Wow! You're doing great!" Honestly, if you had told me I would have as many stories as you, with those scores before I started, I would not have believed it. I certainly did not post this to make anyone feel bad about themselves. You have every right to be proud of your work.

When I read Roxy's post I kept nodding and thinking, "See, that's exactly the right attitude!"

When I sat down to start writing, I figured I had maybe 30 good stories to share. Not "great" stories, and certainly nothing worthy of a Hall of Fame. Because I didn't even have an account until I started posting my own stories, I was unaware you could even follow authors on the site. I certainly did not sit down and consciously set any goals...except one:

If my first two chapters of Spinal Meningitis Is No Joke failed to reach 4.2 or so, I would have stopped writing then. To be perfectly honest, I was shocked twice when my first two submissions went onto the site. First, those chapters were disappointingly short on the site. I simply did not know better, and it seemed like I had taken a lot longer writing them than what showed up when they were published. Then I was shocked again to see those chapters both earn a "Hot" rating. Literotica readers have been far more generous to my stories than I felt I deserved, regardless of category.

I started thinking about milestones as I read Lovecraft68's post a few weeks ago, when he came up on his 10th "anniversary" writing for Literotica. I knew my own 2-year "anniversary" was coming up, and I made the mistake of comparing my achievements to his.

That'll keep you humble. :D

Hurumph.

My sentiments exactly :rose:

Thanks for voicing it much better than I could - I just stopped reading instead.

I've been here since 2005 and I probably measure my success or lack of, based on the user feedback and the number of plagiarized copies that are floating around.

But I don't write in order to be successful - I write to feel happy :heart:

How I measure success

...I wonder how YOU measure success. Do ANY of these numbers really matter?

The numbers matter when you need them to. If you're in a place where you feel like you need your story to be seen, seeing you've had "views" might keep your inner writer alive.

Sometimes, that's all you need.

:)

The rating might matter when you want to know if you're getting any better as a writer.

If you post to LW, that might be some rough riding considering the purple-fisted one-bombers on the loose.

:eek:

Personally, I enjoy the comments. Which sounds strange, because nowhere else in the universe is the comments section fit for mortal consumption, but here? The occasional "I enjoyed it" makes me feel great.

Quick confession: I love the really impassioned hate letters, too. The longer, the better.

Usually, they prove the point, but the real fun is knowing how much time and effort and emotion they poured into posting... knowing how easy it was to push their buttons and get them to pour in that effort... and the second or so that it takes me to delete their idiocy.

One second versus one minute... one second versus five minutes... maybe longer, given some of these jackwagons are probably typing their hate with one hand. Seeing how much they care really makes it sweet to hit "delete."

Sure, some hate comments I'll leave up because it's a case study of how abjectly stupid that person is (whether they're anonymous or not), but trolling the trolls is just good, clean fun.

:p

Finally... I usually don't write erotica, much less porn, so this takes my voice in different directions. I usually don't write in first person, but I do here because that makes it feel more personal. Knowing I have an audience...? That makes me refine my editing.

Basically, I'm writing for me and hoping a few other people will enjoy coming along for the ride.

:D So far, so good.

I suppose one of my measures of success is 6 Ws and two Es.

One W for an essay; one for a How-To; one for the special Free Speech contest; two for stories and now one for a poem.

One E for a story and one for a poem.

Last edited:
After getting a green E in Loving Wives, I guess there's no other level of success to need to seek here. :D

Back