HEY! Whatchoo lookin' at!?

THROBBS

I am Fauve
Well?

What do you like to look at, as far as erotic art* goes?
(* excluding photography, cuz)

The question is posed to everyone, especially the visitors.

Me:
• Non-violent (though, maybe a bit sm/bd-ish)
hand drawn/painted (can be digitally drawn/painted) — not, filters on photos or CGI (poser/Daz) figures.
• sometimes "romantic", sometimes subtly suggestive, often explicit.
• women, couples, occasionally men, rarely (not never) groups.
• fantasy/mythology/sci-fi
• hentai, ukiyo-e
• full color or grey scale or black and white

Last edited:
What am I into, regarding erotic art?

Wide landscapes and... heh, I'm into nude women in various poses and predicaments.

In drawn or digitally drawn art, I like weighted line work. It doesn't have to be dramatically weighted, a little goes a long way. I'm less inclined towards Japanination, as it is, by and large, far too simplistic to be considered "erotic." Don't get me wrong, the artists in that genre can suddenly do exemplary drawings, but it seems they'd rather do simplistic work worthy of a five year old, posting refrigerator art.

"This stick figure is mommy, you can tell she is a mommy because she has biiiig bobos! This is daddy, you can tell he is alll daddy because he trips over his huge wanger."

While comedic, and I do comedy sometimes, it's not what I call "erotic art" but "adult humor." I don't thrive on it, nor would I want to eat it day in, day out. I find Bill Ward's art, both interesting, and extremely disappointing, all at once. Then again, I find a lot of Dan DeCarlo's work interesting. Not very erotically fulfilling, but a better teaser.
In a side note, I fault DeCarlo for making me look for Betty, Veronica, and Josie-esque profiles in real women; what I have described as a "cat's face" in profile.

That said, I'm not fond of cookie cutter looks. There are four artists that are an exception to that; Juan Giménez, Milo Manara, Jim Lee, and Alan Davis. Somehow, they give unique looks to each character they draw, while using almost the same outline. I see Japanimation as being extremely cookie cutter, which is why I'm not fond of it.

That said, I like "scribbled" or sketches that use both positive and negative space to connote shape and form. Thereby, I like artists that push the envelope, so to speak.

There once was this one artist, she's in one of those icelandic countries, and for only a couple of drawings only, she used red lines to convey the warmer or illuminated side of a person, and blue lines to suggest the colder or shadowed side, and very little in between. The point is, she made it work.

Another artist likes to use half hand drawn, half photography. While not erotic, it's creative, and that's what ultimately appeals to me. The rest is subject for discussion.

In the end, I like creativity.

Have I fekked this thread up

Its all about visual communication –
Bonus point for a non verbal message, but a minus for showing off.
Double points for Wit, and Triple for funny.
Quads if its life enhancing.
Sometimes I try for three, but than I have only myself to impress/amuse

[ hate this picture and have removed it ]

Of course all bets off with propaganda, unless it has a piss take overlay

Last edited:

In drawn or digitally drawn art, I like weighted line work. It doesn't have to be dramatically weighted, a little goes a long way. I'm less inclined towards Japanination, as it is, by and large, far too simplistic to be considered "erotic." Don't get me wrong, the artists in that genre can suddenly do exemplary drawings, but it seems they'd rather do simplistic work worthy of a five year old, posting refrigerator art.

"This stick figure is mommy, you can tell she is a mommy because she has biiiig bobos! This is daddy, you can tell he is alll daddy because he trips over his huge wanger."

While comedic, and I do comedy sometimes, it's not what I call "erotic art" but "adult humor." I don't thrive on it, nor would I want to eat it day in, day out. I find Bill Ward's art, both interesting, and extremely disappointing, all at once. Then again, I find a lot of Dan DeCarlo's work interesting. Not very erotically fulfilling, but a better teaser.
In a side note, I fault DeCarlo for making me look for Betty, Veronica, and Josie-esque profiles in real women; what I have described as a "cat's face" in profile.

That said, I'm not fond of cookie cutter looks. There are four artists that are an exception to that; Juan Giménez, Milo Manara, Jim Lee, and Alan Davis. Somehow, they give unique looks to each character they draw, while using almost the same outline. I see Japanimation as being extremely cookie cutter, which is why I'm not fond of it.

That said, I like "scribbled" or sketches that use both positive and negative space to connote shape and form. Thereby, I like artists that push the envelope, so to speak.

There once was this one artist, she's in one of those icelandic countries, and for only a couple of drawings only, she used red lines to convey the warmer or illuminated side of a person, and blue lines to suggest the colder or shadowed side, and very little in between. The point is, she made it work.

Another artist likes to use half hand drawn, half photography. While not erotic, it's creative, and that's what ultimately appeals to me. The rest is subject for discussion.

In the end, I like creativity.

So.... you don't really care for "Japanimation"?:)
I can understand that it is an "acquired taste", which, of course, is not always acquired. However, I feel you may be "throwing the baby out with the bath water."

There are many poor examples of "Japanimation", but also some wonderful work. — I don't think it is a situation were "artists in that genre can suddenly do exemplary drawings", Truly, some can and some can't.

I think that what you call "Japanimation", is most often stylized in a simplistic way so that images can be more readily animated, where as much Hentai or Manga based imagery can be single "frames", and can be quite masterfully rendered (lighting, perspective, textures and materials). Of course there is the "historical"/cultural stylization which, makes it identifiable (and consequently saddles the works with a certain "sameness"). There are books, tutorials/formulas "how to draw manga", but that's true of most any style. And there are those "artists" who never get past the "refrigerator art" level.
none of this means that you should like it! LOL

Dan DeCarlo's Betty and Veronica are essentially a Western "manga" style. I grew up with that imagery and associated fantasies!

I also love the work of Juan Giménez, Milo Manara, Jim Lee, and Alan Davis.
Though, when I get nit picky, Alan Davis seems to favor a more narrow-hip woman than I like.:) I think Frank Cho (looking at comic artists now) mixes up body types bit more...leaning towards curvy. Or Frank Frazetta.... VERY curvy! and he had a great hand — loose, but not too loose...and wonderful painterly technique.
Unlike Boris Vallejo and Julie Bell, who both have "tight" technique, but for me...bleh...too stiff.

I love Milo Manera's technique, and own a bunch of his graphic novels, but often the story lines (and along with that) become too "darK" and violent — a buzz kill.

hmmm... perhaps more thoughts and musings later...
and to ponder ifluke's post.

see ya!

Its all about visual communication –
Bonus point for a non verbal message, but a minus for showing off.
Double points for Wit, and Triple for funny.
Quads if its life enhancing.
Sometimes I try for three, but than I have only myself to impress/amuse
I just cant resist.....

Of course all bets off with propaganda, unless it has a piss take overlay

Visual communication indeed!

I love your style.
(the subject matter doesn't typically "move" me, but that's ok, I still like to check it out)

Well?

Me:
• Non-violent (though, maybe a bit sm/bd-ish)
hand drawn/painted (can be digitally drawn/painted) — not, filters on photos or CGI (poser/Daz) figures.
• sometimes "romantic", sometimes subtly suggestive, often explicit.
• women, couples, occasionally men, rarely (not never) groups.
• fantasy/mythology/sci-fi
• hentai, ukiyo-e
• full color or grey scale or black and white

Some of the Poser/CGI stuff can be really good.

I remember an artist in the 80s or 90s (Peter something???) that did what might be called line art or color block. Real basic images, but erotic. Mostly clothed if I remember right though.

But you might want to check out Jennifer Janesko, Michael Mobius and Olivia De Berardinis.

Some of the Poser/CGI stuff can be really good.

I remember an artist in the 80s or 90s (Peter something???) that did what might be called line art or color block. Real basic images, but erotic. Mostly clothed if I remember right though.

But you might want to check out Jennifer Janesko, Michael Mobius and Olivia De Berardinis.

Patrick? Patrick Nagel? Very graphic style.
I liked his work...at first, but I grew tired of it pretty soon.
He found his "gimmick"/style and did it well...and too much.

I'd like to see what you think is "really good" Poser/CGI. I haven't seen any that really impresses/moves me. But, there may be some. So far, I have been more impressed by the brilliance of the programers, than the output.

I am familiar with Jennifer Janesko, Michael Moebius and Olivia De Berardinis, and though all have great technical skill, their works are a bit too "tight" for me.

Last edited:
Patrick? Patrick Nagel? Very graphic style.
I liked his work...at first, but I grew tired of it pretty soon.
He found his "gimmick"/style and did it well.

I am familiar with Jennifer Janesko, Michael Moebius and Olivia De Berardinis, and though all have great technical skill, their works are a bit too "tight" for me.

Yeah, that's him, and yes he did and so did I.

'Too tight'?

-------------------

At one point I was looking for a simple line drawing in a transfer form that I could apply to a wall. A basic silhouette of a pair of legs from the waist down. Never found anything in the size I wanted: lifesize or larger.

Yeah, that's him, and yes he did and so did I.

'Too tight'?

-------------------

At one point I was looking for a simple line drawing in a transfer form that I could apply to a wall. A basic silhouette of a pair of legs from the waist down. Never found anything in the size I wanted: lifesize or larger.

too tight — too "slick", the artist's "hand" is lost... nearly "mechanical" - boring.

Often that is the sort of work> "OMG! It looks just like a photo!"...ok.... so, why not simply take a photo? While it may show a technical virtuosity, there is not much point beyond that.

"a transfer form"? meaning something you could "stencil" paint? or as a Sticker?

These days, that is not too difficult, with so many photos available, which can be converted/outlined in high contrast and blown up and printed at a place like Office max, for relatively little $

Or printed as a "tiled" image on a standard printer and pieced together with tape and used as a stencil.

So.... you don't really care for "Japanimation"?:)
I can understand that it is an "acquired taste", which, of course, is not always acquired. However, I feel you may be "throwing the baby out with the bath water."

There are many poor examples of "Japanimation", but also some wonderful work. — I don't think it is a situation were "artists in that genre can suddenly do exemplary drawings", Truly, some can and some can't.

I think that what you call "Japanimation", is most often stylized in a simplistic way so that images can be more readily animated, where as much Hentai or Manga based imagery can be single "frames", and can be quite masterfully rendered (lighting, perspective, textures and materials). Of course there is the "historical"/cultural stylization which, makes it identifiable (and consequently saddles the works with a certain "sameness"). There are books, tutorials/formulas "how to draw manga", but that's true of most any style. And there are those "artists" who never get past the "refrigerator art" level.
none of this means that you should like it! LOL

Dan DeCarlo's Betty and Veronica are essentially a Western "manga" style. I grew up with that imagery and associated fantasies!

I also love the work of Juan Giménez, Milo Manara, Jim Lee, and Alan Davis.
Though, when I get nit picky, Alan Davis seems to favor a more narrow-hip woman than I like.:) I think Frank Cho (looking at comic artists now) mixes up body types bit more...leaning towards curvy. Or Frank Frazetta.... VERY curvy! and he had a great hand — loose, but not too loose...and wonderful painterly technique.
Unlike Boris Vallejo and Julie Bell, who both have "tight" technique, but for me...bleh...too stiff.

I love Milo Manera's technique, and own a bunch of his graphic novels, but often the story lines (and along with that) become too "darK" and violent — a buzz kill.

hmmm... perhaps more thoughts and musings later...
and to ponder ifluke's post.

see ya!

Well, manga/japanimation usually has a single line weight (at least modern adaptions). That's why I mentioned it in that paragraph, and represents why I'm more fond of other line weighted styles. However, I'll have to disagree with you on Decarlo. He uses line weights, not very dramatic line weight variances, but it's there. Mostly because he used an ink brush, instead of an ink pen.
http://thevirtualinstructor.com/images/apples.gif

I've heard of Cho, but his work doesn't stand out in my mind. Frazetta... love his work, supposedly he was a pig. Just repeating what a girlfriend told me who once worked/studied under him. Boris is exemplary, but Bell... hrm. She has talent but no fire. She's like Jim Ballent, tries to stay safe. A lot of potential, gone to waste.

Actually, from my understanding, Manara usually works from a script, with exception to his Butterscotch, and Click titles.

"a transfer form"? meaning something you could "stencil" paint? or as a Sticker?

Think dry transfer or iron on type transfer, probably just a black or grey line sort of thing. I found a few smaller ones, maybe 36" total length, where I was wanting close to twice that.

And yeah I could probably convert a few images I have using IrfanView, but then I don't have a way to make it transferrable image.

----------------

There are a few people using images here as signatures and avatars that I think are Moebius' work.

I like something between simple sketches/pencil drawings and full blown finished paintings.

Well?

I love drawing with charcoal. It's not the same as touching a woman's curves, but the next closest thing on paper. I'm more tone than line, usually, because I go chasing volume and form, more so than gesture, I think.

My drawings are an extension of my erotic self. Like my writing, they celebrate my love of women, their sexuality, sensuality, in a way which I hope is respectful, if at the same time, graphic.

My drawings are here:

https://onlydrawingsnothingmore.tumblr.com

Well, manga/japanimation usually has a single line weight (at least modern adaptions). That's why I mentioned it in that paragraph, and represents why I'm more fond of other line weighted styles. However, I'll have to disagree with you on Decarlo. He uses line weights, not very dramatic line weight variances, but it's there. Mostly because he used an ink brush, instead of an ink pen.
http://thevirtualinstructor.com/images/apples.gif

I've heard of Cho, but his work doesn't stand out in my mind. Frazetta... love his work, supposedly he was a pig. Just repeating what a girlfriend told me who once worked/studied under him. Boris is exemplary, but Bell... hrm. She has talent but no fire. She's like Jim Ballent, tries to stay safe. A lot of potential, gone to waste.

Actually, from my understanding, Manara usually works from a script, with exception to his Butterscotch, and Click titles.

I don't . think that is accurate — that "manga/japanimation USUALLY has a single line weight". And I did not say that Decarlo didn't use a weighted line, I say his work is "essentially a Western "manga" style". meaning it doesn't LOOK like "manga", because it is a Western style of comic art (where manga is a Japanese style of comic art). But both are comic art. Essentially the same thing.

Hiro Mashima (I pulled up just one name, there are MANY) is a manga artist and Dan DeCarlo is a..... comic (we don't have a word that distinguishes the cultural stylization) artist. They are both comicbook (genre) artists who use weighted lines.

anyway, there is a HUGE range within the world of manga
(you don't have to like any of it, of course)
4d5446200a954f6c00a8fbb77f74d9fcadef7122_hq.gif

Just like Western comics, artists use pens (fixed width and/or flexible split nib) or brushes or pencil, or pencil then scanned and digitized (fixed with lines or variable lines) or directly drawn/painted digitally. And Just like with Western comics — there is a HUGE range in skill with anatomy, light and shadow, volumes, perspective, story telling....

Last edited:
Think dry transfer or iron on type transfer, probably just a black or grey line sort of thing. I found a few smaller ones, maybe 36" total length, where I was wanting close to twice that.

And yeah I could probably convert a few images I have using IrfanView, but then I don't have a way to make it transferrable image.

----------------

There are a few people using images here as signatures and avatars that I think are Moebius' work.

I like something between simple sketches/pencil drawings and full blown finished paintings.

I'm still unclear what you hope to transfer to and why?

I love Moebius' work .

I love drawing with charcoal. It's not the same as touching a woman's curves, but the next closest thing on paper. I'm more tone than line, usually, because I go chasing volume and form, more so than gesture, I think.

My drawings are an extension of my erotic self. Like my writing, they celebrate my love of women, their sexuality, sensuality, in a way which I hope is respectful, if at the same time, graphic.

My drawings are here:

https://onlydrawingsnothingmore.tumblr.com

Thanks for sharing your work.
You could start your own thread gallery here.
(though there isn't that much traffic or engagement)

My question was more about what folk like to look at.

Naturally, those who create images tend to try and create what they like to view (some are more successful than others, naturally) and even those who create imagery tend to have broader tastes than their own ability or current direction.
I like what I create (most of the time :) ), but enjoy works by others, in other styles.

My question was more about what folk like to look at.

I did not answer the question. - Id say I was interested to see/feel a scene/event through the creators eyes.

I did not answer the question. - Id say I was interested to see/feel a scene/event through the creators eyes.

yeah, I kinda noticed you "dodged" a bit (initially). That's ok, most of us do!:)

What you say now does restate what you had said earlier — communication. If the creator is a successful visual communicator, then we should be able to see/feel the scene/event, right?

For me, I prefer to filter my viewing material (especially erotic material) to the sort of scenes/events that turn me on. Which is one reason that I hope that Literotica continues to develop the "Adult Illustrations section" beyond "beta" and get some categories in there. Just like with the stories, there are genres which I'd prefer to side step. (maybe LWulf would pass on manga, if that were a category, and that would be fine).

I don't . think that is accurate — that "manga/japanimation USUALLY has a single line weight". And I did not say that Decarlo didn't use a weighted line, I say his work is "essentially a Western "manga" style". meaning it doesn't LOOK like "manga", because it is a Western style of comic art (where manga is a Japanese style of comic art). But both are comic art. Essentially the same thing.

Hiro Mashima (I pulled up just one name, there are MANY) is a manga artist and Dan DeCarlo is a..... comic (we don't have a word that distinguishes the cultural stylization) artist. They are both comicbook (genre) artists who use weighted lines.

All I meant is that saying DeCarlo has a western "manga" style is inaccurate, because, from what I've seen, including your Mashima, manga artists don't use weighted lines.

Beyond that, I'm not going to get into a "which came first, the western comic art eggs, or Manga chickens" debate.

My take on Manga is that its designed to be simple, a style formula easy to copy.

I like individuality and quirkiness. I rate unschooled toilet wall cock drawing higher than that stylized crap

All I meant is that saying DeCarlo has a western "manga" style is inaccurate, because, from what I've seen, including your Mashima, manga artists don't use weighted lines.

Beyond that, I'm not going to get into a "which came first, the western comic art eggs, or Manga chickens" debate.

Those ARE weighted lines!— In Mashima's work...and many others
Line weight is not a limiting or defining characteristic of Manga.
attachment.php

I don't even KNOW Mashima, just one I found 1st, there are MANY more some with larger line weight variation.

Last edited:
My take on Manga is that its designed to be simple, a style formula easy to copy.

I like individuality and quirkiness. I rate unschooled toilet wall cock drawing higher than that stylized crap

I reckon that manga was not "designed to be simple, a style formula easy to copy"
It happens to be relatively easy to mimic. Often poorly, to be sure. Every 3rd junior high kid gives it a go.

Like ay genre, there will be crap and quality.
Yes, it is "stylized", as is your work, ifluke, but that certainly does not make your imagery "crap".

attachment.php

I don't even KNOW Mashima, just one I found 1st, there are MANY more some with larger line weight variation.

Line weight is a basic technique which only works if you dont notice it

Line weight is a basic technique which only works if you dont notice it

Apparently, LWulf did not notice. Which does not mean that it worked...

As you say (i think you mean) that the use of line weight should not over shadow the message.

That cropped imaged did work MUCH better before I labeled it. One would hardly "notice". :)

Last edited:
(image omitted for brevity)

I didn't see that work (I still can't because I can't zoom in). I googled Mashima before my last comment. The first two pages of images were single line weight drawings. Two drawings I saw were sketcherly. However, he used single line weight lines, grouped together, to make what looked like a weighted line and that's how he left it. Even when making a weighted line, western artists sketch in the same fashion, but they go the extra distance to make one weighted line. Remember I said "the artists in that genre can suddenly do exemplary drawings"?

BY AND LARGE, manga artists like to do cheap and easy artwork with very little detail. "Grind it out fast" seems to be their motto. Why put that much detail into it? You might as well take a photograph, otherwise. And that's why their art is mostly lack luster to me.

Art, or at least the kind that I like, isn't something where someone says "you want a drawing of yourself? *draws a stick figure* Here! There's a drawing of you, now go away." Art, by it's nature is someone putting more time into making something look "right" in the artists' eyes. Although excessive time alone doesn't qualify all art as good.

There was one portrait artist of the 1800's (I forget his name) who did strikingly accurate portraits (paintings) of people in phenomenally record breaking time. I believe he kept his models (who he was painting) around only long enough to focus on their faces, then did their clothes and the surroundings after they left (because who cares if the gather in your clothing is 100% accurate?).
My point is, there are ways to make shortcuts, but after a while, if you clip off enough corners of a square, you'll be left with a circle.

Note : By and large, "manga" artists use digital programs to draw. By and large, most programs use single line weights. By and large, digital art is usually looked at less appealingly. Have I explained my reasoning well enough now?

ifluke said:
Line weight is a basic technique which only works if you don't notice it

I normally will notice. Or rather I notice the lack of it when it isn't there, which is why I usually don't like manga art. I look at Manga art and go "blah." It took me a little while of analyzing to realize why I was going "blah."

Last edited:
Back