What is something from your youth

armada67

Really Experienced
that your children , or grandkids will never understand or appreciate?

When I was in school if it was a beautiful day outside. Our teacher would open the back door, most of the rooms had a door that opened to outside, and windows that opened. And we would go out and have class on the grass outside.
The one day I went to pick up my Stepson from school. It was like going to a prison. Quite depressing. No matter who we elect or how the world changes, I do not think we will ever get back to that.

2nd would be a Manual transmission. I still remember the ones on the column. That was a trip to drive one of them. I do not think they even make them anymore?

So what is something from your youth growing up ?

They still make manual transmissions. Oh, you probably meant the column thing. Nevermind.

Going outside and exploring until the sun went down.

And yes, manual transmissions are still made but you have to seek them out. I drive one every day. However, as Americans have gotten fatter and lazier it's becoming almost impossible to find them.

It's not laziness, it's productivity.

;) ;)

Now you can text and drive unhindered by the clutch...

My first car was a Ford Fairmont wagon. 3 on the tree.

With all the fancy graphics, kids these days would never appreciate Pong. Or any of the old Atari classics like Asteroids, Combat or Yar's Revenge.

My first car had a "push button" transmission on the dash.

It also had a hole in the floor board so I couldn't drive in when the road was wet because water would spray from the front tire into my face.

My first car had a "push button" transmission on the dash.

It also had a hole in the floor board so I couldn't drive in when the road was wet because water would spray from the front tire into my face.

Oh man do I remember when cars were built like crap. Mostly as a kid. My dad putting wood on the floor boards to stop that problem. It wasn't like they were old junkers. In three years you could expect the new cars to be falling apart and rusting through every where.

I remember when you had to trade a car in before it hit 40K...

;) ;)

I'm almost at 40K on my F150 and it is still like brand new.

I logged well over a quarter of a million miles on my S10.

Wartime and post-war rationing.

Compulsory National Service for all men.

Bomb sites.

No National Health Service.

One house telephone in a road with 120 houses, and one car in that road.

Deliveries by horse and cart.

Four postal deliveries every day.

Telegrams.

Old (pre-1971) money - 20 shillings to a pound note; or 40 sixpences; 80 threepenny bits; 240 pennies; 480 halfpennies; 960 farthings; 10 florins; 8 half crowns; 4 crowns; 2 ten-shilling notes and some items were priced in guineas (i.e 1 pound and 1 shilling).

Outside taps and toilets in the yard.

It does remind me. Milk was delivered to the back door (in glass bottles) and the trash man went to your trash, you didn't take it to him.

In warm weather, we were locked out of the house and if grandma or grandpa found you, they put you to work. I spent a lot of time high in a tree with a book...

Old (pre-1971) money - 20 shillings to a pound note; or 40 sixpences; 80 threepenny bits; 240 pennies; 480 halfpennies; 960 farthings; 10 florins; 8 half crowns; 4 crowns; 2 ten-shilling notes and some items were priced in guineas (i.e 1 pound and 1 shilling)

First time I visited London, mid-1970s, the tourist shoppes still had things priced in both shillings and pounds....I honestly thought Britain had two currencies. :eek:

During a summer holliday in England we went to this local pub and someone started passing these smokes around.
One of my female 'mates' started picking on me and mocking me in front of everybody, because I didn't want to smoke.

Guess who woke up groggy and with red eyes the next day, and kept congratulating me for not following the heard? Almost everybody.
And guess who fell in the ditch and peed herself?
Hehe. The bitch.

Unlike these days, getting too drunk or stoned wasn't something to boast about in my days.

Going out all day to mess around with childhood friends and your parents had no idea or concern about where you were or what you were doing. The only rule was to be back for dinner. Now they plant a phone with GPS on the kid.

Back