Translations by Dolf.

parodyluvr75

Owl of Minerva
Dolf suggested I start this thread awhile back, so I could post things blue says that I don't understand and she'll translate them. If you have a British phrase or word you don't understand, post it here. Dolf may grace you with a translation.

'Rude health', I figured it out from context but where does it come from? It's an odd phrase, if someone is rude when they're healthy, I'm not nursing them back to health.

Also, drink!

Why does "chuffed" seem to have two meanings (i.e. positive and negative)?

And is "dead chuffed" any different?

*raises hand* i have one!

'can't be arsed.'

i know it's supposed to mean, 'can't be bothered,' but it doesn't make any sense.

what do you mean, you can't be arsed? isn't arse a noun?

how is that different from saying that you can't be earlobed? or cuticled? or uvulaed?

where is Dolf when we most desperately need her?:rose:

Why does "chuffed" seem to have two meanings (i.e. positive and negative)?

And is "dead chuffed" any different?

I didn't think "chuffed" had a negative meaning. As far as I know it only has a positive meaning of being really happy and pleased with something.

And the "dead" in dead chugged is an intensifier - if you are "dead chuffed" you really can't be happier.

I didn't think "chuffed" had a negative meaning. As far as I know it only has a positive meaning of being really happy and pleased with something.

And the "dead" in dead chugged is an intensifier - if you are "dead chuffed" you really can't be happier.

hahahahaha

i know this one.:cattail:

This is a very timely thread. NBC Nightly News just interviewed some British woman and they had to use subtitles. I think it was a foreign language she was speaking.

Dolf suggested I start this thread awhile back, so I could post things blue says that I don't understand and she'll translate them. If you have a British phrase or word you don't understand, post it here. Dolf may grace you with a translation.

'Rude health', I figured it out from context but where does it come from? It's an odd phrase, if someone is rude when they're healthy, I'm not nursing them back to health.

Also, drink!

I think "rude health" comes from the aristocrats looking at peasants in the field, and marveling at how healthy and glowing they seemed, though so awfully peasanty and uncouth.
It's a backhand compliment really.

I understand Dolf, they should've had her translating on the split screen, Johnny.:)

I think "rude health" comes from the aristocrats looking at peasants in the field, and marveling at how healthy and glowing they seemed, though so awfully peasanty and uncouth.
It's a backhand compliment really.

i have a thread for that.

*raises hand* i have one!

'can't be arsed.'

i know it's supposed to mean, 'can't be bothered,' but it doesn't make any sense.

what do you mean, you can't be arsed? isn't arse a noun?

how is that different from saying that you can't be earlobed? or cuticled? or uvulaed?

where is Dolf when we most desperately need her?:rose:

Well the subtext is that you can't be bothered getting off your arse to do something.

It's the height of apathy about something.

omg how did i miss that? *sheepish*

That's alright:) It helps that I'm sitting on my arse right now and feeling pretty apathetic.
But I have emails to answer so I'll bow out of language translations for a minute.

Ero, this is the definition he sent me.

Sorry, I was going back to the origins and putting my spin on things - trying to explain why "rude".
Yes it does simply mean that they look like they are in good health. The added nuances are not necessarily there.

This is perfect! Thank you! I've got a Brit character in my main group in the book I'm writing and other than watching BBC shows, I don't get a lot of exposure to idioms and sayings. Other than one of my fav book characters, King Rat, who spoke using Cockney Rhyming Slang(my favorite and I'm trying to get it to catch on is "My/Your I suppose" for your nose :heart: ).

I recently tried to think of how a British guy might refer to/accuse another guy of impregnating a woman. Google helped a little bit by giving me "Did you get one of your clients in a family way?"(because the guy he's talking to is a male whore, you see). I don't know if it's even common or what dialect would be appropriate(because the United Kingdom apparently has different strains of accents, just as much as US does comparatively with north/south). It'll get ironed out in the editing process but for now, that's what I put down.

Subscribing. I'll be back. Dolfie, Fata, Des, and Sean(if he's not busy with weddin' stuff), I'll pick your brains at a later date. :rose:

Back