ISIS and Yazidis Crisis

Did Obama's failure to make a quick decision seal the fate of these people?

Yes..

By the time it got to be their turn to be slaughtered I don't see this as "Obama's fault" for his (typical) delay a few days one way or the other.

Yes, he dithers. The man sticks his finger in the wind before he decides whether to release flatulence.

Probably a whole series of not just poor decisions but more importantly poor state control has led to the world-wide opinion that he is feckless.

A lot of these decisions are actually complicated, involve unknown but certain unintended consequences. I am not sure if he has used force often enough, too often, just right, or what.

I do know that the indecisiveness is the biggest problem. I think the charge that our enemies do not fear us and our friends don't trust us is fair.

Theses savages are motivated by supernatural insanity like dervishes were. They likely would have gotten around to at minimum harassing those communities at some point. If they assumed we might have gotten interested in their little adventure if they got "out of hand" maybe they wouldn't have included that stop on their battle plan. I think they are emboldened by the one clear message he has had on foreign policy since he was Senator Obama. We are leaving Iraq, and we are not coming back.

That actually might be a good policy. Saying it that definitively is not good policy.

Obama's failure to bomb ISIS forces months ago led to the deaths of these people.

I think it goes even further back. His failure to negotiate a Status of Forces agreement with Iraq essentially meant he surrendered after the situation was stable.

I think it goes even further back. His failure to negotiate a Status of Forces agreement with Iraq essentially meant he surrendered after the situation was stable.

That part is complicated. I don't get why the idiots running Iraq wouldn't have begged for one, and they clearly weren't that interested.

I get that part of it was to give themselves legitimacy by showing they don't "need" the US, and part of it is why bother when Obama's stated positions before he was even elected made it unlikely he would come to their aid.

Still, I would think the Iraqis would want one in their hip pocket "just on case." Either that or ally themselves with someone they felt more dependable, whomever that might be.

I know we pat ourselves on the back for having women secretaries of state, but in that part of the world it is insulting to send a woman to negotiate.

Not much mention here on the deaths of the Yazidis in Iraq. ISIS chased them out of their homes and they took refuge hoping for the international community (USA) to come to their aid.

Did Obama's failure to make a quick decision seal the fate of these people?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...lley.-Up-to-70-per-cent-of-them-are-dead.html

The fact that you casually equate the "international community" with the United States illustrates a big part of the issue here. We can't actually afford to do all this shit on our own anymore.

The fact that you casually equate the "international community" with the United States illustrates a big part of the issue here. We can't actually afford to do all this shit on our own anymore.

But we can afford to invite refugees from other countries and support them for life.

Obama's failure to bomb ISIS forces months ago led to the deaths of these people.

No.

England's failure to bomb them led to this crisis. Germany is complicit, too.

That part is complicated. I don't get why the idiots running Iraq wouldn't have begged for one, and they clearly weren't that interested.

I get that part of it was to give themselves legitimacy by showing they don't "need" the US, and part of it is why bother when Obama's stated positions before he was even elected made it unlikely he would come to their aid.

Still, I would think the Iraqis would want one in their hip pocket "just on case." Either that or ally themselves with someone they felt more dependable, whomever that might be.

I know we pat ourselves on the back for having women secretaries of state, but in that part of the world it is insulting to send a woman to negotiate.

The president needed to be personally involved. It wasn't a state department responsibility to my knowledge.

I believe the Iraqi PM would have accepted a proper force as was recommended by the joint chiefs of close to $20K troops, but the prez cut that back to some paltry amount and it wasn't worth the political risk for the PM to do so.

I'm not defending the PM, but I do think the numbers were a political calculation. The prez wanted to show his base he pulled out, and at the same time wanted to make the argument he tried to get an agreement which was total BS. So now he owns the fact that everything we gained has been lost and then some.

Open a new thread if you want to deflect from the subject matter.

It was your comment, not mine, in trying to argue Obama should have responded with American resources earlier.

All I'm trying to do is make sense of your comment.

Sounds as if you cannot make sense of it either; I suppose it did not truly advance your position, then.

It was your comment, not mine, in trying to argue Obama should have responded with American resources earlier.

All I'm trying to do is make sense of your comment.

Sounds as if you cannot make sense of it either; I suppose it did not truly advance your position, then.

So you think the president responded appropriately. Is that correct?

DACA?

Would it be better form if we sent out actual engraved ones?

Given this requirement--"Were physically present in the United States on June 15, 2012, and at the time of making your request for consideration of deferred action with USCIS"--it hardly seems like an invitation to me.

Humanitarian crises occur in the world on a sadly regular basis.

I'm still tryin' to figure out here why the ISIS/Yazidis crisis merits the United States acting as the world's policeman again here.

Given this requirement--"Were physically present in the United States on June 15, 2012, and at the time of making your request for consideration of deferred action with USCIS"--it hardly seems like an invitation to me.

Stop it with the facts.

Humanitarian crises occur in the world on a sadly regular basis.

I'm still tryin' to figure out here why the ISIS/Yazidis crisis merits the United States acting as the world's policeman again here.

1) I guess because we were the ones who originally destabilized the area so we need to "fix" it.

2) Iraq has lots and lots of oil.

Back