"Obvious Child": Movie where woman gets an abortion and IT'S FINE, just like IRL!

KingOrfeo

Literotica Guru
"Obvious Child": Movie where woman gets an abortion and IT'S FINE, just like IRL!

From Salon:

Friday, Jun 6, 2014 12:42 PM EDT

Shocking movie portrayal: Why “Obvious Child” is a revolutionary fairy tale

In this striking new film, a woman has sex, gets pregnant and has an abortion. And she isn't punished for it!

Katie McDonough

I know that “Obvious Child” — Gillian Robespierre’s new film about a woman who, in addition to doing a lot of other things, also has an abortion – is actually a romantic comedy. But in the current political and media landscape, it’s also kind of a fairy tale. And I mean this in a good way and a profoundly sad way.

Donna Stern — a lovable semi-adult played by Jenny Slate — copes with a breakup by getting shit wasted and having unprotected sex with a cute stranger. (When the question of a condom is broached by a friend, Donna replies, “I remember seeing a condom. I just don’t know exactly what it did.”) Weeks pass. Her boobs get swollen. She learns she’s pregnant. She decides to have an abortion. Donna is a 20-something comedian who pays the bills with a day job at a book store on the verge of shutting down. (The shop in the film is actually the West Village’s Unoppressive Non-Imperialist Bargain Books, a detail that made me feel like this). She is that specific kind of upper middle class Williamsburg broke, which is to say that she is not actually broke in any meaningful way, but it still doesn’t lend itself well to supporting another person. She also — and this is really the most important part — just doesn’t want to be a parent at this point in her life. It’s kind of that simple.

And the film never once punishes her for any of this. No one shames her for the exuberant but potentially risky drunk sex she had with a stranger. (This drunk sex is, by the way, perfectly set to Paul Simon’s “Obvious Child,” which also gives the film its title.) No one questions her decision to terminate the pregnancy. She has two completely loving and supportive friends who are with her from point zero. Even her mother, a serious-minded business professor with whom Donna clearly has a kind of strained relationship, is completely on board. In fact, rather than serve as a wedge, Donna’s abortion is the catalyst for an emotional moment between the two women. It actually makes them closer. Even the drunk stranger — a sweet norm named Max, played with sweet norm charm by Jake Lacy from “The Office” — is warm and reassuring. He’s with her during the procedure, and the film closes with the new couple snuggling on the couch watching a movie.

This is part of why the film feels like a fairy tale. At this moment — as laws across the country proliferate and put basic reproductive healthcare further out of reach for millions of women, as lawmakers use abortion restrictions as blunt political instruments to stir up their base — a movie that shows an emotional but profoundly uncomplicated abortion story feels almost too good to be true. Donna’s experience is unquestionably a product of her whiteness, her class, her geography and unique circumstance — she’s lucky. But her story is representative of many women’s experience of abortion in places in the country where the legality of the procedure and the status of abortion clinics remain uncontested. These women get pregnant. They don’t want to be pregnant. They feel nervous because it’s a medical procedure that can be kind of expensive. They worry their moms will be mad. They get the abortion. They move on with their lives.

Donna is a fictional character, but Emily Letts — who recently recorded and shared her own abortion experience — isn’t. Letts recently told Salon that she wanted to go public with her abortion to fight stigma and help give voice to the many, many women who feel very good about their choice to terminate a pregnancy. We rarely get to talk to or about women like Donna and Emily. Even well-meaning pro-choice politicians tend to deploy stories of wanted pregnancies with tragic fetal anomalies or women who become pregnant as a result of rape to articulate why we must protect access to abortion. Rarely do we hear anyone in the halls of Congress say, “The procedure takes about three minutes and requires an afternoon of nursing ibuprofen to recover. Then you go back to work, you take care of your kids, you do whatever it is you were doing before.” For many lucky women in this country, that really is how abortion works.

We don’t talk about this in life, or in film. As Jill Filipovic at Cosmo recently noted, the odds of dying during an abortion in the United States are statistically zero. But the odds of dying during an abortion on film are 1 in 7. If abortion is even discussed (“shmashmortion“) in the first place, the women who go through with the procedure are generally some variation of April Wheeler from “Revolutionary Road.” Tragic. Stifled. Probably selfish. Definitely going to die.

I write a lot about abortion. And all too often, I’m not writing about the women — 1 in 3 women, to be exact — who access this care. Usually I am stuck writing about politicians. Men, mostly. Men who pass laws that will change the trajectory of millions of women’s lives, women who they don’t give a shit about. These lawmakers compare women’s bodies to cars. To other bullshit. After writing these pieces, I am generally bombarded with emails and tweets from very angry people telling me that I support baby murder. That I am going to hell. That I am probably a slut and that’s why I care so much about women’s ability to make choices about their own bodies.

When I’m not writing about these men, I am writing about the women who can’t access the procedure because of them. The women in Texas’ Rio Grande Valley, who must now travel hundreds of miles round and make two separate visits to access basic medical care. Women in Mississippi who may lose the last clinic in their state. The women in South Dakota who now must wait 72 hours before they can get the procedure. Or the women in Michigan who now can’t get their insurance — their private insurance — to cover this care.

This is the other reason why “Obvious Child” feels like a fairy tale. The devastatingly sad reason. Because it’s relatively easy for Donna to get the care she needs. She is lucky, unlike so many others.

I was grateful to be watching someone so lucky. Grateful to laugh and love this character. Donna’s story is not representative of every woman’s experience of abortion, but it’s one woman’s story. It’s funny. It’s immature. It’s really complicated. But we root for Donna. She is the star of the film and the hero of her own story. The abortion doesn’t change her life, it just lets her keep figuring shit out. It’s such a simple thing, but it’s also downright revolutionary at this moment.

Sharon Osbourne: Abortion 'Worst Thing I Ever Did'
"I would never recommend it to anyone..."

News Paul Bois

In a recent interview, famed reality show star Sharon Osbourne opened up about her haunted past of having an abortion at age 17. She stated:

I had an abortion at 17 and it was the worst thing I ever did. It was the first time I'd had sex, and that was rotten. I'd always thought it was going to be all violins, and it was just awful.

I was two months gone when I realized. I went to my mum and she said, without pausing for breath: "You have to get rid of it."

"She told me where the clinic was, then virtually pushed me off. She was so angry. She said I'd got myself in this mess, now she had to get me out.

But she didn't come. I went alone. I was terrified. It was full of other young girls, and we were all terrified and looking at each other and nobody was saying a bloody word. I howled my way through it, and it was horrible.

I would never recommend it to anyone because it comes back to haunt you. When I tried to have children, I lost three - I think it was because something had happened to my cervix during the abortion. After three miscarriages, they had to put a stitch in it.

In life, whatever it is, you pay somewhere down the line. You have to be accountable."

Sharon Osbourne is not the only celebrity to recently speak about her painful experience with abortion. Pop-singer Toni Braxton spoke out in May about how her past decision to abort her baby still impacts her to this day.

http://www.truthrevolt.org/news/sharon-osbourne-abortion-worst-thing-i-ever-did#.U5G-aqI98XU.twitter

NO! the worst thing she did was become a celebrity!

You know the "Pro Life" crowd will be so upset about this...and then go off and back the wars :eek:

Notice how the downward spiral of Vetty continues....

First it was Glen Beck...
Then Breitbart.....
Now it's Truthrevolt..
Nowhere to go next except Stormfront...

Bears repeating:

Donna is a fictional character, but Emily Letts — who recently recorded and shared her own abortion experience — isn’t. Letts recently told Salon that she wanted to go public with her abortion to fight stigma and help give voice to the many, many women who feel very good about their choice to terminate a pregnancy. We rarely get to talk to or about women like Donna and Emily. Even well-meaning pro-choice politicians tend to deploy stories of wanted pregnancies with tragic fetal anomalies or women who become pregnant as a result of rape to articulate why we must protect access to abortion. Rarely do we hear anyone in the halls of Congress say, “The procedure takes about three minutes and requires an afternoon of nursing ibuprofen to recover. Then you go back to work, you take care of your kids, you do whatever it is you were doing before.” For many lucky women in this country, that really is how abortion works.

Last edited:
Sharon Osbourne: Abortion 'Worst Thing I Ever Did'
"I would never recommend it to anyone..."

News Paul Bois

In a recent interview, famed reality show star Sharon Osbourne opened up about her haunted past of having an abortion at age 17. She stated:

I had an abortion at 17 and it was the worst thing I ever did. It was the first time I'd had sex, and that was rotten. I'd always thought it was going to be all violins, and it was just awful.

I was two months gone when I realized. I went to my mum and she said, without pausing for breath: "You have to get rid of it."

"She told me where the clinic was, then virtually pushed me off. She was so angry. She said I'd got myself in this mess, now she had to get me out.

But she didn't come. I went alone. I was terrified. It was full of other young girls, and we were all terrified and looking at each other and nobody was saying a bloody word. I howled my way through it, and it was horrible.

I would never recommend it to anyone because it comes back to haunt you. When I tried to have children, I lost three - I think it was because something had happened to my cervix during the abortion. After three miscarriages, they had to put a stitch in it.

In life, whatever it is, you pay somewhere down the line. You have to be accountable."

Sharon Osbourne is not the only celebrity to recently speak about her painful experience with abortion. Pop-singer Toni Braxton spoke out in May about how her past decision to abort her baby still impacts her to this day.

http://www.truthrevolt.org/news/sharon-osbourne-abortion-worst-thing-i-ever-did#.U5G-aqI98XU.twitter

Vettebirther wants them in camps, where they should be!

The part where it not only happens but sans punishment. In 90% of fiction that I'm aware of it doesn't even get to that point. The woman magically loses the baby. Might be a car accident, might be pushed down a flight of stairs, might be magic or aliens or becoming a vampire but it always happens and the last scene after that is always her very heavily implying that despite all the talk about how this might be a good decision for her (and that in the narrative it was either absolutely necessary or at least turned out to be the plan that sucked the least) but the decision is far to often removed from her hands in total.

Can someone fill me in on whether Oreo is affronted or cheering?
I can't tell.

“The procedure takes about three minutes and requires an afternoon of nursing ibuprofen to recover. Then you go back to work, you take care of your kids, you do whatever it is you were doing before.”

It really isn't this easy. I mean, yeah, there are women who recover with one or a few OTC pain relievers and return to work the next day, but there are plenty of women whose experience is more painful and takes longer to recover. It's not a walk in the park, whether it's planned (an appointment) or unplanned (after complications of emergency miscarriage/stillbirth).

Is this really that path-breaking? Didn't Sex and the City have an episode where where Carrey and Samantha talk about their abortions? I don't remember them being punished for it.

And I agree with LadyVer, the procedure isn't as simple as stated in the OP. In fact here during pregnancies they always ask if a woman has had an MTP or an abortion in the past because it could lead to complications during the existing pregnancy/delivery.

“The procedure takes about three minutes and requires an afternoon of nursing ibuprofen to recover. Then you go back to work, you take care of your kids, you do whatever it is you were doing before.”

It really isn't this easy. I mean, yeah, there are women who recover with one or a few OTC pain relievers and return to work the next day, but there are plenty of women whose experience is more painful and takes longer to recover. It's not a walk in the park, whether it's planned (an appointment) or unplanned (after complications of emergency miscarriage/stillbirth).

Is this really that path-breaking? Didn't Sex and the City have an episode where where Carrey and Samantha talk about their abortions? I don't remember them being punished for it.

And I agree with LadyVer, the procedure isn't as simple as stated in the OP. In fact here during pregnancies they always ask if a woman has had an MTP or an abortion in the past because it could lead to complications during the existing pregnancy/delivery.

I didn't watch Sex in the City but talking about something in the past isn't the same as dealing with it in the show regardless.

As for the "realism" I haven't seen the movie nor had abortion. Is a single afternoon within the realm of realistic? I ask because these are movies the same movies where trained fighters put on ballet where in reality one of those two should be down pretty quick, where hand guns are accurate enough to hit running targets. . .while running one handed and over your shoulder. Where getting shot either kills you instantly or someone patches you up and gets you back on the battlefield.

My point being would this fall under what a rational person would consider "acceptable breaks from reality" or is this sufficiently fucked up that someone should step up because it just doesn't work that way like 90% of stuff in movies.

And that's before you start getting experts involved. Don't get me started all the shit wrong with anything with Dinosaurs or the military (and I was an in the rear with the gear Marine. I won't even let anybody who was a grunt watch an action flick anymore.)

I'm not going to put words in King Orfeo's mouth (that's Vetteman's job) but I believe he's pointing out that the movie is an accurate portrayal of a typical abortion scenario.

As opposed to, say, the right wing's narrative that women who have abortions become mentally ill, with cervical cancer, and any subsequent pregnancies result in hideously deformed autistic gargoyle children.

I'm not going to put words in King Orfeo's mouth (that's Vetteman's job) but I believe he's pointing out that the movie is an accurate portrayal of a typical abortion scenario.

As opposed to, say, the right wing's narrative that women who have abortions become mentally ill, with cervical cancer, and any subsequent pregnancies result in hideously deformed autistic gargoyle children.

Yeah, only neither is exactly accurate and both are exaggerating. Abortion is not easily forgettable nor totally destructive, it is the last option in certain cases and cannot be considered as birth control.
I am all pro-choice but there is still a risk of both emotional and physical damage. I would not take it lightly.

Yeah, only neither is exactly accurate and both are exaggerating. Abortion is not easily forgettable nor totally destructive, it is the last option in certain cases and cannot be considered as birth control.
I am all pro-choice but there is still a risk of both emotional and physical damage. I would not take it lightly.

There's risk in any medical procedure.
Having said that, in the grand scheme of things, the physical risk associated with a first trimester abortion is essentially negligible.

IMO a big issue is how the pro-lifers portray women that have abortions.. as tho they think "well, on the way home from work I need eggs, milk, bread....oh, and an abortion!"

Or that they have regular abortions cause they're too lazy to get birth control or use it if they have it. I would imagine this is a horrendous choice for them to have to make, I doubt any of them take it that lightly. I would imagine it's rather gut wrenching and that most if not all feel guilt that may last a lifetime.

What it boils down to me is this... whether I agree or disagree about abortion, I am not arrogant enough to decide what is best for that woman at that point in her life. I'm a Christian and have been my whole life...but I do not believe that life begins at conception... but for the sake of argument let's say it does.. wouldn't it be better to send that "child" up to heaven rather than it have a lifetime of disease or be abused, unloved or whatever other ills that can befall a child?

IMO...the moral majority is one of the most dangerous groups of people out there... This if you don't believe as I do then you're WRONG.. such a horrible concept.

IMO a big issue is how the pro-lifers portray women that have abortions.. as tho they think "well, on the way home from work I need eggs, milk, bread....oh, and an abortion!"

Or that they have regular abortions cause they're too lazy to get birth control or use it if they have it. I would imagine this is a horrendous choice for them to have to make, I doubt any of them take it that lightly. I would imagine it's rather gut wrenching and that most if not all feel guilt that may last a lifetime.

What it boils down to me is this... whether I agree or disagree about abortion, I am not arrogant enough to decide what is best for that woman at that point in her life. I'm a Christian and have been my whole life...but I do not believe that life begins at conception... but for the sake of argument let's say it does.. wouldn't it be better to send that "child" up to heaven rather than it have a lifetime of disease or be abused, unloved or whatever other ills that can befall a child?

IMO...the moral majority is one of the most dangerous groups of people out there... This if you don't believe as I do then you're WRONG.. such a horrible concept.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
Stand a little taller...

Who says the birth of a baby cannot elevate a woman's responsibility and drive to provide the best she can?

The most dangerous people out there are those that drift from conception to Gosnell and Tillman for life once devalued is simply devalued...

Back