"Doctor Who: Powers of Ten" (OOC)

jenny.jpg

23571107.jpg

maybe.

She really is one of the biggest plot twists that exsists in the whoverse.

isn't she geneticly 100% Gallefrayan?

(probably butchered that spelling)

maybe.

She really is one of the biggest plot twists that exsists in the whoverse.

isn't she geneticly 100% Gallefrayan?

(probably butchered that spelling)

"Gallifreyan." But good try!

And they were a little hedgy on how 100% she was.

My portrayal within "Powers of Ten" was that she was potentially capable of everything The Doctor was, but Time Lords are considered youths for like 100 years. After a vaguely human-length childhood, they become teenagers for decades. (The Doctor said the last time he'd been to The Medusa Cascade was as a boy of 90.)

Now, Jenny emerged from her progenation pod fully cognizant of human functions like walking talking laser-dodging gymnastics and taking advantage of horny het male soldiers in order to free herself from wrongful imprisonment. But there's a whole laundry list of low-level superhuman abilities that Time Lords possessed that she'd still have to be taught how to access. (Like internalizing roentgen radiation and redirecting it through the body, Ten implied in "Smith and Jones" that this was a learned ability from childhood.)

(Speaking of roentgens, this is kind of like how Kon-El couldn't turn on his X-Ray Vision at first.)

I included in "Powers of Ten" that the shock of being shot reflexively activated her respiratory bypass system, locking a sample of The Breath of Life in her lungs and causing her to revive from death without regenerating. This left the door open for her to regenerate later.

This was, however, only one interpretation of events, and one I chose for my personal storytelling options over the more likely intent of the episode's writer(s).

Another interpretation of events was that The Doctor's biological code was incorrectly transcribed/extrapolated by the machine because Time Lord "DNA" (I put this in quotes because deoxyribonucleic acid is probably not the actual chemical involved) is way way more complex than Human. Thus, while Jenny "reJenerated," she did not change form or personality-- she simply self-resurrected. While she had two hearts, she might not have some of Ten's other abilities, like, say, identifying blood-types at a taste, or being able to perceive timelines.

The Doctor initially rejected Jenny because she was just a fragment, an echo of what a Time Lord could be. Largely, I'm sure this was sociocultural-- Jenny had no idea of the legacy she'd inherited and she was a painful reminder to Ten of what The Time Lords had been and what they became before he had to put a stop to them. But it might also have been biological. She was almost a second chance for his species... almost but not quite. And perhaps in Ten's mind, almost wasn't good enough.

Thankfully, with Donna's help he got over that and embraced her... just in time for her to be temporarily redshirted.

I think it's very sadly unlikely that Moffat will revive her for a story in his on going plot. He's got too much invested in River, who, as it turns out, is similarly not-quite-Time Lady, and I bet he doesn't want to detract from her "specialness." The Moff also seems extremely hesitant to reintroduce aspects of Ten's run into Eleven's, maybe because of ego? Who can say? He seems more inclined to let crumbs of Ten trickle into Eleven's world (split-second glimpses of Rose when Eleven headbutts Craig, brief cameos via The TARDIS' visual interface) than to actually let elements of the preceding continuity manifest fully.

But I am perfectly happy to be proven wrong, especially, again, with The 50th Anniversary coming up.

It saddened me greatly to learn of the recent passing of actor Michael O'Hare.

I have, in character and out, thoroughly mocked his performance on "Babylon Five," claiming he was the second weakest of the three station commanders. But he nevertheless attained a special place in my heart, and I feel that the scifi world is all the poorer for his loss.

He was, according to show creator Joe Strazcynski, an all-around stand-up guy, and he was talented enough to win awards for his stage work.

There is no word for "goodbye" in Minbari. According to Delenn, all Minbari partings retain in mind the possibility of meeting again.

So thus I say:

"Until we meet again, Entil'zha Valen."

Last edited:
Sorry.

The IC is currently inactive, and has been for quite some time.

Though I've long considered reawakening the thing.

Even when it was active, sorry, it was by invite only, and either way, I was playing the cat.

But I appreciate your interest, and encourage you to join in with our ongoing geek-chatter here in The OOC.

Back