The Last Thing You Thought...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Writing a story alone is much different than writing with a partner. Not having feedback is quite strange.

I agree. In some ways it's a lot more work. Where you have to come up with the feedback yourself. Less in other ways, no curve balls to try to juggle. But perhaps that's also a bad thing. Some amount of being pleasantly surprised is always nice

seriously, only you would be happy with that, you scum sucking dried up hookers hanky.

I agree. In some ways it's a lot more work. Where you have to come up with the feedback yourself. Less in other ways, no curve balls to try to juggle. But perhaps that's also a bad thing. Some amount of being pleasantly surprised is always nice

You'd be surprised at how your own characters can throw you for curve balls. They take on their own personalities. You may see things one way, but they, if given the chance, can surprise you.

It's addicting to write with someone else. We don't have to totally carry the story ourselves. It's a slightly different medium but well worth it. Your mind can open and it goes where you see it, where you wanted and only limited by the voice of your characters. *smile* Give them a chance. You mind find your curve balls still.

You'd be surprised at how your own characters can throw you for curve balls. They take on their own personalities. You may see things one way, but they, if given the chance, can surprise you.

It's addicting to write with someone else. We don't have to totally carry the story ourselves. It's a slightly different medium but well worth it. Your mind can open and it goes where you see it, where you wanted and only limited by the voice of your characters. *smile* Give them a chance. You mind find your curve balls still.

My difficulty is that with a writing partner, there is another distinct personality that is creating a character or characters, and thus not an aspect of me. I worry that writing a story alone will leave to several characters that are far too similar to move forward a plot. I don't feel like I can write a character that isn't at least part of a reflection of myself.

My difficulty is that with a writing partner, there is another distinct personality that is creating a character or characters, and thus not an aspect of me. I worry that writing a story alone will leave to several characters that are far too similar to move forward a plot. I don't feel like I can write a character that isn't at least part of a reflection of myself.

Oh of course, a part of you, Miss Sasha. Just a different reflection, if you will. I think all writers who do solo pieces worry about creating characters too similar. I find it a challenge to create one that is not. I tend to write strong women so to create one that is not, I find challenging. It's also a refreshing change.

You're more than welcome to. I'm more than happy to read it.

alrighty.

Dried up hookers hanky..

I pretty much see it like this... the person I'm thinking of would be the overly used and finally discarded handkerchief or cunt wiping rag from the cheapest cracked out hooker, ever...

alrighty.

Dried up hookers hanky..

I pretty much see it like this... the person I'm thinking of would be the overly used and finally discarded handkerchief or cunt wiping rag from the cheapest cracked out hooker, ever...

Ooooooooooooooh.

I'll have to remember that one.

Writing a story alone is much different than writing with a partner. Not having feedback is quite strange.

Feedback's one of the more pleasant and addicting things about being here and writing SRPs.

Right what Cait said. I found when I wrote solo that curveballs came just as much as when writing here.

Oh of course, a part of you, Miss Sasha. Just a different reflection, if you will. I think all writers who do solo pieces worry about creating characters too similar. I find it a challenge to create one that is not. I tend to write strong women so to create one that is not, I find challenging. It's also a refreshing change.

If they're a character you yourself created then they are automatically reflections of you, or a facet of you....like some of the characters I have made in my threads...like taking a character who isn't like me in a thread I do with Cait, Joseph Henney is my condescending side freed from the censorship I actively smother it with all the time. While others can be broken down like this: Allejandro from Dark Temptations is my suave side taken to an evil extreme. Chris from Vassal Academy is my hopeless romantic side through the prism of a submissive in a bdsm story.

When I did Fangsome Foursome I played a brash and arrogant character named Jericho that is totally foreign to me...but I found writing a character so different in viewpoint and instinct than my own was alot of fun and very cathartic to me.

My point is all characters we write even those that are different completely to our personalities are facets or slivers of us given voice.

The one thing I miss from writing solo is building a scene through tight snappy dialogue. Doing SRPs you have to do alot propelling the story forward with internal monologue without god-modding your partners character. One of my favorite tools is dialogue and I miss not getting to use it as well as I can writing solo.

Lt- I don't wanna work today. I'd rather do anything else, other than that.

But I'd especially like to spend the day doing her. over and over and over and over and over....

Her? -Perks. Then stares over shoulder out of sheer nosiness.-

Come to think of it I have not written a story in a long time where I had to develop every single character. Most of my solo stories were written involving other people's characters from other mediums. I filled in gaps sure, but the majority of the personality was more or less what they had shown me.

Though I have a few stories bouncing around my skull lately. I tend to take a lot of my inspiration from video games as nerdy is that is. I like taking certain events that occurred and turn them into short stories.

There's no problem with that. People tend to be complex enough that many characters can be based on aspects of them and still be unique.
More, if you find that a plot can't move forward, you can arbitrarily change something in order to get it moving again. You'll find that, as you write more, you are able to stretch yourself more.
And, of course, there's always editing and rewriting.

The other big difference, imho, between SRPs and writing alone is that an SRP really only has to connect and resonate with the two writing it. If you are writing on your own, you probably want others to be able to enjoy and relate to the story (that might not be your only goal, but even most people who say they write for themselves want others to be able to find something in the work)

There's no problem with that. People tend to be complex enough that many characters can be based on aspects of them and still be unique.
More, if you find that a plot can't move forward, you can arbitrarily change something in order to get it moving again. You'll find that, as you write more, you are able to stretch yourself more.
And, of course, there's always editing and rewriting.

The other big difference, imho, between SRPs and writing alone is that an SRP really only has to connect and resonate with the two writing it. If you are writing on your own, you probably want others to be able to enjoy and relate to the story (that might not be your only goal, but even most people who say they write for themselves want others to be able to find something in the work)

I am writing it mostly for me at this point, with no intention to publish it, but I understand your point. I think I would want others to enjoy it, and I might tweak something to make it more enjoyable for others, if I get to that point.

It's cliche, but maybe I just need practice. This is something very new for me. :)

Thank you all for your offering words and ideas. :rose:

LT ~ "Well...it was really only a matter of time before I did that..." grinning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back